• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#151 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm so sorry for your troubles....I was definitely one of those adversely affected by Abilify.  I call it Devil's Dandruff, it was so bad! 

One method I employed to alleviate some of the withdrawal symptoms from benzos some years back was ear acupuncture.  Don't know if it would help you since I have no way to measure whether or not it was effective.  It was covered by my medical insurance. so I gave it a whirl.  You may want to look into it, as it may help with your lorazepam w/d.  Best of luck to you....

#152 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well saaw my new psychiatrist. Because of this new limitation on lexapro for people over 60, he is now switcjing me to prosac. The swap over should be done in about two weeks and then two more weeks to reach max effect. My lorazepam isn't working for me now so keep your fingers crossed for me. Once I get settled I will try to come off the lorazepam again. Uggg!

#153 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Well spent 2 weeks weaning off of lexapro and going on 5 mg prozac. Now I have been off lexapro for 2 weeks and on 10 mg of prozac. Obviously I have another 4 weeks or so before the prozac fully kicks in but right now I can tell you that my fear/panic has come back to about 1/3 of where it was after cymbalta withdrawal and before lexapro. Really hard to function while scared. Don't have much of a life waiting for the prozac to fully kick in.  I have now been off cymbalta 8 months and still fighting the fear/panic left over.

#154 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Well that really sucks the big one fishinghat.

I really hope that improves for you soon and doesn't take 4 weeks. I wonder why the prozac doesn't work as fast as the lexapro did for you and the generic zoloft did for me?

I know the anxiety is still an issue with me and can lead to some rather bizarre mood swings that are not pretty.

I still get mad at my Moronic GP who gave me Crapalta without doing any of the prelim.

Here I am 52 years old having worked and supported myself and raised a daughter since leaving home at 18 and now I have problems getting meals on the table on time and getting basic house and yard work done and that's after 5 1/2 months off that crap.

Thank goodness for my garden where I can go and mindlessly pull weeds. Now I'm trying to remember what to do with all the veggies I have grown so that they will keep for the winter.

Winter - that is another scarey thought. No weeds to mindlessly pull in the winter. Okay I am not going to think about that one for now.

Anywho - hope you are feeling more like yourself soon.

Take care of you :hug:

#155 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks nancy. I am going to try to get in and see my pdoc next week.

#156 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

We are having fun now?!! My lorazepam continues to wear off. My10 mg of prozac is NOT doing the trick SO in I went to see my pdoc.

I love it when a plan comes together (sarcasm).....He is on vacation for a week!.  My fear is so bad now I just lay curled up in bed most of the time.

Well if you need me you will know where to find me!! lol

#157 missB

missB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • why_joining:
    To get off this horrible drug and be free.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

oh, fishinghat.  I am so sorry you are going through this.  You are such an inspiration and a help to so many here.  I will keep you in my prayers.  feel better soon.

warmest regards,

missB

#158 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hey there fishinghat

In further investigation I have come across quite a few sites that have reviews and prozac doesn't come out too well when taken for anxiety. For some it just made it worse for those first two weeks and then worked but for many it did not work.

I know, not good news for you but I would seriously be looking into a different med asap. Sertraline (generic zoloft) worked for me like the lexapro worked for you so maybe it is worth a shot.

I can't believe that you have to go through this all over again. It is just not fair and not right either.

I am not doing all that great myself but at least the constant anxiety did not return after I went off Sertraline. I do have times of anxiety but not like you are dealing with. I just have bizarre moods and mood swings to put up with. Though with this new med I am also dealing with some times of very deep depression which I have never felt before Crapalta.

OMG I hate that drug and with my mood today I really hate that Moron doc of mine.

Take care of you my friend and know that I am thinking and praying for you.

:hug:

#159 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I read those reviews as well Nancy and you are right. Zoloft isn't much better on its reviews but I am getting down to the niitty gritty here. I noticed that the minimal dosage for prozac is 20 mg and I am on only 10 mg. That level isn't even considered therapeutic. Comparison studies show that 20 mg prozac has the same potency as 10 mg lexapro. I am hoping that at 20 maybe I can get some releif. IF NOT then zoloft seems like my only choice left. Because of all the permanent sexual side effects left by the cymbalta my doctor wants me on as minimal ssri dosage as possible. I just have to be patient right now. Once I have been on the higher dose for 2 or 3 weeks I will know if it is going to work or if it is making my symptoms worse.. And you are right, the prozac could even be making my anxiety worse. We are having fun now!!! NOT  lol

I will keep you all posted on what happens. 

You know, when I think of my situation, your problems and so many others on here I really agree with what some one wrote earlier today....Cymbalta leaves permanent changes in your brain.

Take care Nancy and I hope things settle down even more for you. God Bless.

#160 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well, 5 gold stars to Nancy. The dr said either the prosac was making my symptoms worse or wasn't doing me any good at all. I an now off prosac and have started 12.5 mg (odd number) of Zoloft per day. I am still curled up on my bed all day in fear and evening waking at night with episodes of fear. It will be around 2 weeks for the Zoloft to kick in so all prayers are appreciated. If the Zoloft doesn't work there are just two options left....Live with 24 hour fear for the rest of my life or back to Cymbalta or Effexor. Great choices huh? God help me.

#161 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

I just need to rant some guys. Stupid dumb head nurse. As I indicated above the dr. prescribed me 12.5 mg of Zoloft. Once I got to the pharmacy the pharmacist said "Why so little, that is half a standard child's dose.". When I got home I looked it up on hte internet and sure enough he was right. This morning I was setting at his door when he opened. To make a long story short. He had written 3 prescriptins one for 12.5 mg, one for 25 mg and one for 50 mg. I was suppose to take the 12.5 mg for 3 days then switch to 25 mg for 3 days and then go to 50 mg. The nurse ONLY gave me the 12.5 mg script and said here, take one aday until you see the doc again in 2 weeks. What a bitch. I would have been setting here in 24/7 fear for 2 weeks waiting for the mediine to kick in which, being below therapeutic levels, it would never have happened!!  I asked the dr if he was going to address this with the nurse and he said "NO" the nurse does not work for him, she works for the clinic.  I went to the head of nursing and explained the situation and they said that she was one of the most senior nurses with no problems but they would 'mention' it to her. What a load of crap!!

#162 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

I learned something else from this new doctor. He said that the drop in testosterone, erections, gynomastia, and other sexual problems I developed were definitely NOT from cymbalta and I did not have to come off the drug in the first place. He said that while cymbalta certainly can cause these problems it ONLY happens during the first 6 to 8 months of taking the medicine. I came home and checked the FDA website for their reports. They had over 600 reports concerning cymbalta causing low testerones BUT ALL WERE REPORTED WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF STARTING CYMBALTA. This means that the dr was probably right, it was not caused by the cymbalta which I had been on for over 5 years when I developed my problems. So I came off the cymbalta for absolutely NO reason!!  Now don't get me wrong, I am glad to have this stuff ut of my system but crap, these drs just can't be trusted. You simply have to question everything they say and do.

#163 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well just wanted to vent. I finally worked my way up to 50 mg of Zoloft. That should kick in around the 30th. So I still sit and wait with continuos agitation, hours of fear and constant fatique. Once I stabilize I will have to come off the benzo. I have tried 6 different meds for help since I came off the cymbalta. After all of that, here I set. Wore out having to use a benzo until we find a ssri tht will do the trick. Sucks!! Tired of trying and fighting but what else to do. Maybe the Zoloft will kick in a week or two.

#164 Madison1

Madison1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • why_joining:
    To feel I'm not alone in this hell of antidepressants. Seeing others are having the same symptoms helps me to make it through each day. Hopefully my story will in turn help someone else.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

fishinghat...

I'm sorry you are still having trouble. Six different meds? That really does suck and I feel for you. I tried the Neurontin for 3 days and I'm done with that. Gave me a horrible rash but did help the nerves so that sucks. I'm going to call my neurologist for help on that maybe. I'm liking the Prozac though. Have you tried that? I'm only on 20mg but I do like it so far. I'm wondering if I should just ride out these symptoms and hope my body goes back to normal eventually or keep trying different medicines. 

#165 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

Madison, I have had almost 24/7 fear since I came off the cymbalta. I agree with hertfeathers, I beleive this medicine changed me. Because of the low testosterone and gynamastia as a side effect of the cymbalta I was taken off of it. They didn't want me to take another ssri because they were afraid it would just make the testosterone and gynamastia worse. They also did not want to put me on benzos because they typically only work for a short time and cause cosiderable fatique. You also have to go through an extensive withdrawal with them. So they tried 6 different non-benzo/non-ssri meds. They either didn't work or I had a bad reaction to them. I was finally put on lorazepam (a benzo) because there simply wasn't a coice. It helped about 50% is all. The dr then put me on a weak dose of lexapro. This worked for about 3 weeks until there was an FDA warning concerning the use of lexapro in patients over 60 (thats me!!). So I came off the lezapro and went on prozac. I was on Prozac 5 weeks. No effect!! Bummer!! Back to solid fear. They just put me on 50 mg Zoloft. Obviously it will take a couple weeks for it to kick in. Meanwhile I have built up a tolerance to lorazepam which made it necessary to  raise the dose. I have tremendous benzo fatique now.  If the Zoloft doesn't work my only choice will be paxil, cymbalta or effexor. All strong ssris. I have been fighting this 8 months and I am really drained!!

Keep your fingers crossed.

#166 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Boy this whole situation would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I am on my 5th day with 50 mg zoloft. I have developed a cardiac arythmia. I am throwing PVCs every 4th to 7th beat. From what the zoloft literature says I suspect it is fromthe Zoloft. It is a shame, the Zoloft was helping a lot. Say 60% better. On top of it all my wife has had food poisoning for 2 days now so I have been taking care of her.

If I have to come off the Zoloft that only leaves paxil, effexor or back on cymbalta. I think everyone here knows what I think of those options. I could try prozac again but at a much higher dose (I only took 10 mg before but was on it 5 weeks). At 10 mg it did absolutely nothing for me. Right now I am pretty much laying around until I see the doc on Wed.

#167 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Well, had to go back up on my lorazepam. For any new people,  I quit Cymbalta in Feb. The withdrawal lasted about 4 or 5 weeks with my stomach problems, dizziness, emotional swings all other symptoms nearly gone by the end of that time. Unluckily I was left with deep fear and crying 24/7. I tried to deal with it but it was just too much. The drs put me on 4 mg lorazepam, 200 mg hydroxyazine and 10 mg Lexapro to get it under control. I was told to stay on these 30 days and give my brain a chance to settle down. I felt great. The dr. said to slowly start weaning off the lorazepam first. I cut 1/2 a mg about every 3 weeks. There were some withdrawal effects each time but nothing I couldn't handle. Once I settled down I would cut out more lorazepam.  

I am down to 2 mg lorazepam a day and have hit a wall. I have been at this level one month and nearly constant low level fear (no crying yet, thank God). No sign of improvement I went back up a 1/2 mg last night so we will see if this is enough to set me straight. This reminds me of a posting someone had a few days ago. Someone said they were put on supplemental medicine because they couldn't handle the Cymbalta withdrawal. Once they stabilized they started a slow cut back in medicine. It took them 2 years to cut back completely. I have a feeling it will be the same with me. It sure does wear a person down.

Hi fishinghat, I realize that this is an old post but it applies to how I'm somewhat feeling now .. Is it your experience that once the physical withdrawal becomes somewhere near bearable , that the emotional side effects set in ?.
My emotions are my main problem now & Im wondering if this is the Cymbalta playing with my brain . The irrational fear that hits with no warning & sets off a chain reaction of anxiety & crippling fear.
I'm finding it a lot more difficult to deal with than the early debilitating physical s/e's .
After almost 7 months of battling the physical , I feel worn out & the doubt about surviving this & regaining any type of normal life again is weighing me down .
How amazing is it ! , that we can endure the pain of the physical but one the emotional doubts move in, it becomes so difficult .

Hope you're feeling good my dear friend , you are in my thoughts constantly . :-)

#168 downtongirl

downtongirl

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

fishing hat...glad you are doing better now that you are on the Lexapro.  Had you completely tapered off of Cymbalta when you started Lexapro?

#169 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

DTG

I developed pssd when I came of the Cymbalta. (total loss of sexual function). They kept me off of all ssri and snri for 3 months hoping my body would correct the issue. It did not so I went on testosterone and Lexapro. It did a great job until the FDA said not to take celexa if over 60 due to extreme cardiac arythmias. Now Celexa is not the same as Lexapro but almost. It too was tested and showed the same cardiac results so to be safe the dr took me off Lexapro and put me on Zoloft. It too has worked well.

I would say my first symptoms were mostly physical but if I remember right the emotional problems started around the second or 3rd week, Both sets of symptoms continued Until I went on the Lexapro.

#170 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Wagtail, how are you doing with the meds, doses and dosing schedule the new (well, your previous but now current) gave you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users