1 reply to this topic

#1 Bruce

Bruce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hi all.

I stopped taking Cymbalta in December of 2012.  I had been on 30mg for depression, and I believe I was on it for about 3 years.  I attempted to stop earlier in 2012 because of complications but couldn't handle it.  For my 2nd attempt to stop, I carefully titrated down over the course of 3 weeks.  I've been off the drug for 3-1/2 months.  I went through the normal hell described by others here. 

In lat January of this year, I experienced a sudden explosive headache - the likes of which I've never experienced.  I also experienced dizziness and confusion.  It was almost like a long lasting, incredibly intense brain zap.  My friend took me to the ER, as he thought I might be having a stroke.  The pain was so bad, I thought my head would explode.  The ER staff ruled out stroke, but did a MRI, blood tests, and a lumbar puncture to look at my spinal fluid.  Everything checked OK – with the exception of higher than normal protein in the spinal fluid.  Since that day, my neck muscles are extremely sore, my scalp is tender to the touch (internally) I have tinitus (ringing in my ears) balance problems, headache, and a horrible sense of pressure in my head.  Sometimes my cognitive process skips a beat & I struggle for words or fumble my hands.  Fortunately, on somedays my symproms do abate, and I feel wonderful. 

Now my doctor is wanting neurology tests and for me to go on Neurontin - which I DO NOT feel good about starting. 

I’m wondering if there is a connection to the Cymbalta discontinuation.  It is only just over the past couple of days that I really started to examine the possible connection.  I’m wondering if any other persons have experienced similar difficulty or sensations like these.  I’m hoping to find a pattern that could suggest Cymbalta discontinuation as the cause.  I was very hopeful that I had gone through the worst of the journer off of Cymbalta.  As a final note, after stopping the medication for 60 days, my mood stabilized & I felt more emotionally “like myself” than I had in years.  

Thank you & good luck to all of you.

Bruce

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

I can't help with the question if this is related to cymbalta withdrawal or not but I sure want to try to convince you NOT to even consider neurontin (generic name -gabapentin). A very large historical (like 12,0000 users?) survey has estimated that this drug has a high risk of pancreatic cancer. FDA has started three trials that I know of to evaluate the hazard. They have already posted preliminary results that indicate a 20% greater risk of pancreatic cancer than the normal population. The doctors here are running fast and hard to get their patients off this drug. My psychiatrist just informed me the other day that she got her last patient of gaba and on another medicine. Just do a search for "gabapentin cancer" and you will find tons of info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users