• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BRoss

BRoss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

So this is a study that an FDA advisory board put together regarding the "discontinuation syndrome" that many people go through while trying to stop Cymbalta.  They basically state that Eli Lilly needs to do a better job of informing people of this issue as well as initiate a protocol to help people avoid these withdrawal symptoms.  If they FDA knows about it, why hasn't anything been done about it!!! 

http://www.fda.gov/d...e/UCM172866.pdf

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

I wish that I had enough ink in my printer to give this to my doctor. <_<

Maybe then he would realize that I need help dealing with the side effects. :blink:

#3 BRoss

BRoss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

You and me think alike Nancy.  I printed off a copy and plan on giving it to my doctor tomorrow.  I tried calling her today but instead talked to a nurse.  I told her all about my problems and what my intentions were and she said she'll have the doctor call me back.  That never happened.  I'm so frustrated right now.  I set up an appt and I plan on marching right into the office tomorrow armed with all this information.  I can't wait to see the expression on her face.  

#4 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Well you really can't blame the doctors. They have been left in the dark just as much as we have. The reps were aware of the problems and the government is too but nobody bothered to tell the doctors and the company still doesn't warn of the severity of the side effects when stopping.

All we can do is let our doctors and our pharmacists know the truth so that they know what to do for the others who have yet to get off this crap

#5 BRoss

BRoss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Not entirely, no.  But if I can find this information than so can a doctor.  If your in the business of prescribing medication it's up to you to find out all there is about that medication.  Even the FDA says onus for discontinuation management is placed on the physician.  But I do agree with you that the reps have a big part to play in this.  When I said I was frustrated I'm mainly referring to the fact that I never seem to get a call back from my doctor when I leave a message.  

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

I look at that slightly differently. The doctor is in the business of healing people and each one has hundreds of patients so he knows what he has read about each drug, but it is given to him by a rep of the drug company who the doctor trusts because that is supposed to be the way it works.

A pharmacist, on the other hand, is the one that gives you the drugs and an information sheet on the drug which he/she is supposed to explain to you about the drug, its use and things to watch for. That is their job and they go to school for just as long as a GP to do it.

I had 3 pharmacists scrambling to find more information on Crapalta when I went in and told them that I was suicidal on that crappy drug and needed to get off of it but had found out that it was very hard to get off of.

#7 mimimia

mimimia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

I don't blame the doctors because they have thousands of drugs they have to remember, learn about and keep on top of all the new ones coming out. I place ALL of the blame squarely with the pharmaceutical companies. By means of being employed by the pharma the drug rep is responsible too. But they are just doing the job they were hired to do, sell the medication. The company that developed the drug, ran the research and pushed for it to be released to the public is responsible for NOT putting a drug on the market that could do this much damage WITHOUT disclosing that information.  The true issue for me is Eli-Lilley developed it, and sells it so they should be held responsible.

And the WORST part of this is even IF they did not know it when it was first approved by the FDA they most CERTAINLY know it now. So why haven't they added the disclosure of this info on the medication leaflet??? THAT is going to be the smoking gun if this ever makes it to court.

#8 mgpam

mgpam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Wow, thank you for that link BRoss.

#9 LindaVandy

LindaVandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
  • why_joining:
    I had to quit and I needed help, I got it

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

OMG this FDA warning is four years old and nothing has been done? WTF?????

#10 voicesinside

voicesinside

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWashington, State

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

I could not stay focused on this whole thing, but WHY DON`T our Drs. and our insurance companies have this report ??? Can someone PLEASE,PLEASE tell how to get through this, before I end up going postal ??

Thank You

#11 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hello voicesinside

Sorry it took so long to reply to you.

It sounds like you are in withdrawals so here is a list I have made up to help with the Cymptoms (symptoms) 

Essential Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg to 4000mg daily

Vitamin B complex, Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc OR a high potency vitamin/mineral supplement

L-theanine (suntheanine) 200mg up to 3 times a day

Fruits (especially citrus like oranges) and veggies are important to help the liver to function at its best to rid the body of these toxins.

What dose were you on or are you on? If you are off then how many days have you been off?

Take care of you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users