#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

I just saw a new research article that says cymbalta can be used to treat arthritis pain. I would imagine that this would be the next big thing for cymbalta and Eli Lilly. I feel sorry for the arthritis people.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23590727

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Oh wonderful and I can tell anyone who wants to know just how it works for their arthritis pain as I have Osteoarthritis and it didn't help hardly at all and the rebound pain at 60mg was insane.

The rebound pain when you get off it is worse, just ask mg's husband on how that works. The poor guy is 3 weeks off and still in horrible pain.

I read the article. It is talking about knee pain and just to let all know that it didn't help with my knees at all while I was taking it and getting off made the knee pain so bad there were times that I could hardly walk.

Yes I have severe knee pain from arthritis and my doctor and I have already done some talking about knee replacement.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

That is just like the people who take it for back pain. Studies show that it only works on about 50%. That means that half the people have to go through withdrawal for nothing.

#4 LindaVandy

LindaVandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
  • why_joining:
    I had to quit and I needed help, I got it

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

I want my Celebrex! It worked for the pain, without any side effects! Why did they take my insurance take it away but let me have Crapalta? Are we just a bunch of guinea pigs for the drug industry or WHAT?

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

My insurance dropped cymbalta for pain and went to gabapentin solely because it is cheaper. This is a real problem as gabapentin is strongly linked to pancreatic cancer. I asked my insurance about that and they said don't worry "pancreatic cancer is covered under your policy'. Mental midgets!!!!

#6 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

OMG What a bunch of freakin morons.

Did you ask to get that in writing because we both know that could change at any time?

Anyone who wonders how I understand how your plans work (or don't work), it is because I was a floor supervisor at an inbound call center for an American pharmacy company that mailed out prescriptions to the customers.

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

You use to work for an pharmacy company and no you have psychological issues. HMMMM I wnder if they could be related? lol

#8 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I can tell you that I know way too much about issues people have with their plans and I have been called just about everything you can imagine and probably some that you can't come to think of it lol.

I've also been told to do a lot of things that are physically impossible.

#9 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:
    Looking for support for withdrawals of Cymbalta.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Well fishinghat you can feel sorry for me I was given Cymbalta for arthritis Pain myself.

#10 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

The problem with all of this is that this drug doesn't fix the pain it just masks it.

I want something to fix the problem. I want a diagnosis of what the problem is and a solution. If the problem can't be fixed then give me an option as to whether I want to use something that will make my brain think that the pain is not there even though it still is or a med that will ease the pain.

At least when I was on Lyrica it actually helped. Granted I had other problems with it but when I stopped taking it the pain didn't come back nearly as bad. Not like Crapalta which caused me Rebound Pain while I was still on it and when I was tapering I was in agony. I still have muscle pain in my legs which I didn't have before.

#11 jlowe01

jlowe01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • why_joining:
    I need help getting off this drug!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

I am one of those "poor' arthritis people. And it doesnt help :wub: 

#12 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Well Nancy all I can tell you is the Hydrocodone 10/325 is the only thing that helped me with pain even stronger opiates didn't help. It also help me with my depression and I've tried 1 million different kinds of antidepressants. I should add that I started with Hydrocodone 5s. I didn't have to take them all of the time but eventually after about seven years I'm now hooked on them so I kind Of hate to even give this suggestion. 😬

#13 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

They are very quick to decide we are depressed. Well who won't be down when your back is killing you.

Give me a nice painkiller that will ease the pain and something to reduce the swelling (not visible, but it is there) and I won't be feeling down anymore.

My biggest problem has always been that I don't sleep properly as have Maintenance Insomnia. Lack of sleep for extended periods of time (in my case decades) causes a whole pile of other health issues. Used to be that the doctors would give you something to restore the sleep cycle, but now oh no, they can't do that because you might get addicted to something that is strong enough to do that.  They would rather risk my sanity and life with other drugs.

Pain on a daily basis if brought down to a manageable level I can live with as I have for years. Pain without enough sleep becomes unbearable.

OK peeps :) , that was my rant for the day and I feel soooooo much better now lol :D

Oh joy, my emoticons are working again Woohoo :lol:

#14 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

jlowe01

I do really feel for you as I was also put on this crap for chronic back pain which my doctor decided wasn't from Osteoarthritis even though I do have it as well as 2 compressed vertabra that keep developing new little fractures.

I was more than just a little ticked with my doctor when I read fishinghat's posting. He found out that this crap only works about 50% of the time for back pain. For me 50% is just not good enough for the risk associated with starting a new drug.

#15 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yeah I talked to my doctor not long ago and he tells me there's nothing better than what I've been trying over last 10 years. So I'm fixing to go pick up a script that I've tried three times already I I told him I know there's something better but he just clams up. =|: /

#16 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

His reaction to your comment sounds like he is out of ideas.

You may have to do some researching on your own to find something that works.

Have you tried the Mayo Clinic website or any of the Arthritis websites. There has to be something that will work for you.

#17 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

No Nancy I haven't tried those. Thanks for the input I will give it a try. What an adventure this is huh. [:•)

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Well fishinghat you can feel sorry for me I was given Cymbalta for arthritis Pain myself.

Most doctors have the brains of a idiot!!

#19 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Agreed !

#20 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

As my Dad would say "Educated beyond their ability to apply the knowledge"

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

My dad wasn't as gifted an orator as yours. Mine use to say "Book smart and brain dead".

#22 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

I love that one fishinghat

My belly laugh for the day.

Your Dad was smart too.

#23 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

I was prescribed it for my M.E. (chronic fatigue) muscular pain along with the depression. it didn't work a jot 

on the pain!

#24 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

What was your doctor thinking????

Why do they treat this freakin crap like it is a wonder drug and it can fix anything.

I imagine your Chronic fatique causes the depression and then the depression causes the muscle pain so would need to deal with the Chronic fatique so then the other stuff would probably go away.

I know that when I am really lacking sleep so feel so tired that it's hard to feel anything but down.

It's really terrible that with all the problems we each already had that this drug has made things worse.

#25 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Nancy your a treat. I can tell you have a lot of knowledge on the subject and glad that you do. Yesterday my doctor prescribed trazodone for sleep which I've tried now for the fourth time and it still doesn't work. I put in another call to the doctor this morning and I'm going to tell him like I did yesterday I know there's got to be something that can put me to sleep. Yesterday he suggested I go to this mental hospital like that's really going to do something for me. I looked it up in the reviews are terrible this place will raise your bill up pass what it should be. An $18 pill being billed for $100. I hear patients given eight pills a day $800 a day just for pills. I sure can't afford this myself. I could go on about the bad reviews like nurses treating you like crap but I'm just too tired right now and there's just too much to go into.

#26 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

OMG is that every medical persons solution to this problem.

I was told that I should just go stay in the hospital so that they could find out what meds would work for me and then I wouldn't have to work about an adverse reactions.

Due to the return of my PTSD thanks to Crapalta withdrawal, the thought of getting stuck in the hospital (feeling trapped) sends my anxiety thru the roof. Yeah, I'll just set myself up like that sure. My brain may be FUBARed but I'm not stupid. I'm not going to be a guinea pig every again.

#27 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

I guess I'm stupid but I have to know what you mean by: FUBARed

#28 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Sorry that is an expression Linda and I use FUBAR - F’d Up Beyond All Recognition

#29 laurajane57

laurajane57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

I started 30mg Crapalta last spring for fibromyalsia pain control and after a few months it wasnlt helping so the dosage was increased to 60mg not too long after that I had horrible throbing pain in my left leg and coudn't hardly walk My husband surgery for cancer around that time and I just didn't have the time to return to my health care provider I was finally able to go to the clinic but because my blood pressure was high again and at that time she wanted to increase the Crapalta to 90mg I receive prescription assistance and had to reaply to the assistance and in the meantime I had ran out of the Crapalta ofcourse you all can guess that the horrible withdrawal symotoms started but gues what the pain in my left leg disappeared so I know know that it was the Crapalta that caused the bad pain in the first place Beware everyone my healthcare provider told me that she had gone to a conferenceon pain control at the Mayo Hospital and they are telling doctors that Crapalta works better than anything for pain control I want to know what study they did to determine this because they are dead wrong

#30 Kirksd55

Kirksd55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Man I hate to hear that laurajane57. I have not seen one positive thing about that crapBalta. These doctors go for the sales pitch like a snake going after a rat. These people are supposed to be smart but they can't seem to research the truth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users