• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sickandtiredofbeingsick

sickandtiredofbeingsick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I am starting to wean off cymbalta tomorrow (dr. told me to take my usual 60 mg every other day for 2 weeks and then switch to Lexapro) = /

my question is how much omega 3 mg's will be helpful with the crazy head feeling/fuzziness/brain zaps?

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hello sickandtiredofbeingsick

First of all your doctor is incorrect about how to discontinue Cymbalta (why is it that doctors never read the updated versions of prescribing information on the meds they give?). From the updated prescribing information

http://pi.lilly.com/us/cymbalta-pi.pdf

5.7 Discontinuation of Treatment with Cymbalta

Discontinuation symptoms have been systematically evaluated in patients taking duloxetine. Following abrupt or tapered discontinuation in placebo-controlled clinical trials, the following symptoms occurred at 1% or greater and at a significantly higher rate in duloxetine-treated patients compared to those discontinuing from placebo: dizziness, headache, nausea, diarrhea, paresthesia, irritability, vomiting, insomnia, anxiety, hyperhidrosis, and fatigue.

During marketing of other SSRIs and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors), there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, hypomania, tinnitus, and seizures.

Although these events are generally self-limiting, some have been reported to be severe.

Patients should be monitored for these symptoms when discontinuing treatment with Cymbalta. A gradual

reduction in the dose rather than abrupt cessation is recommended whenever possible. If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate.

It is the mgs that are to be reduced not how often you take it. If you do it the way your doctor says then you will be in for a rough time for about 18 days after you completely stop the cymbalta because it has a very short 1/2 life of only 12 hours.

As for the Omega 3 here are what we have found to be the

Essential Supplements

Omega 3 - 2000mg twice a day

Vitamin B complex, Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc OR a high potency or prenatal vitamin/mineral supplement

Drink lots and lots of water to help rid your body of the toxins.

Fruits and veggies are important to help the liver to function at its best to rid the body of these toxins.

L-theanine (suntheanine) 200mg up to 3 times a day with water on an empty stomach helps with the mood swings.

Any more questions just ask, we are here for you

Take care

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Hey sickandtiredofbeingsick, Lexapro? Really? Most Drs consider lexapro (another ssri) as having more side effects than cymbalta.

#4 sickandtiredofbeingsick

sickandtiredofbeingsick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

lady- I bet you this is why I have never been able to get off of Cymbalta.....every time I have tried (this is about the 4th time) I end up right back on this crud. In the past he has brought me down to 30mg, but then in the end 30mg every other day and then none =(

I am really hoping thats the reason why I can never get off this crud because eventually I want to be off of it completely. I am seeing a new psychiatrist on may 30th and hopefully she will have more insight as how to come off this crud without ending up back on it because of withdrawal.

fishing- He is switching me to Lexapro because I've been on it in the past and had very little withdrawal coming off of it. This is in hopes that once I go from the Cymbalta to the Lexapro, the withdrawal won't be so bad and I will be able to come off of it completely. But, What he doesn't know is that I am switching doctors anyway and before I start the Lexapro I will see what she has to say.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Now I understand. I know some doctors use paxil or prozac for that purpose but hadn't heard of lexapro being used that way. Might work though. Whatever it takes. Good luck and hang tough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users