47 replies to this topic

#1 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    To help myself feel better with the support of others and support those in this fight

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hello all, I stopped using cymbalta this past Thursday and it has been a nightmare!   I want to start a family and my OB/GYN told me I needed to wean off of Cymbalta since it may be harmful to the bady when I get preganant.  I did everything she told me to do. Initially I started off on 60 Mg, then I went to 30 mg, then to 30 Mg every other day and now I am off completely The first couple of days were pretty cool since I felt my libido come back in full force and had the best sex with my husband. Though the second day I did cry afterwards. So now it has all been just horrible! I yelled at my husband on Sunday because I couldn't find my pants I wanted to wear. Something I would never do because I am usually a relaxed person and because, well, that's just something you don't do. Went to a farmer's market afterwards and was doing ok. That night I had nightmare after nightmare and at one point my husband had to wake me up becasue I was breathing so heavy and it concerned him. Had a hard time staying asleep that night and woke up the next morning feeling like my skin was on fire and my heart was racing.  Was able to talk myself to going back to sleep but took work off that day because I was a mess. Today is Tuesday and I still feel horrible.  Feel like I am going to cry every time I talk to someone so I lie and tell them the reason my eyes are tearing is because of allergies.  One moment I feel ok and the next like I don't care and can't focus. I am really trying to tough through it but it feels as though the withdrawl symptoms are winnning. Just can't seem to shake this horrible sadness.  I think I can take the constant brain zaps over the emotional symptoms anyday.  I know it is still early but I need this to go away. I am still kinda new to my job and I can't take any more time off because I will be going in to surgery soon to remove my gall bladder.  I know this will eventually go away but at the moment it doesn't feel like it will. I called my doctor today to see of there is anything I can do/take to help me get through this.  I am still waiting to hear. I do have to say reading all of your posts has been helpful. To know I am not alone in this helps some. 

#2 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

well done on being off completely!

all that you are experiencing, is definitely withdrawal, and it WILL pass but slowly. it is very tough on those who have to carry on working, as it's bad enough experiencing these things at home.

how long did you take over the tapers you did, if you feel it was too fast, then if it gets to the point where it's unbearable- then there is no shame in going back to 30mg, and weaning slower using the bead counting method. it's up to you, some prefer this, some prefer just to get it over with. anything higher than 30mg though, cannot be done safely cold turkey from. 

yes the libido return is dramatic when it happens, and my partner was freaked out by me crying afterwards also! 'was I that bad?!' lol! the nightmares will ease off gradually too. hang in there

#3 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    To help myself feel better with the support of others and support those in this fight

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for responding to my post Chimera!  I started out on the 60 mg about a year ago , then I went to 30MG sometime in February and them went to every other day sometime in April I believe and then went off of it last Thursday. The truth is I had no complaints about Cymbalata while I was on it.  When I first started taking I didn't have very much of an appetite but that was the only side effect I had.   The only reason I went off was so I can have a baby. I had gotten no warnings about these intense withdrawl symptoms. I had taked antidressents and antianxiety meds in the past but never did I have anything close to this.  I hope it passes soon as I do not feel like myself and people are noticing.  I would much rather try to ride it out and continue with exerciing and eating healthy.  I am going to give it about a month to see if I get better and if I don't then I will have to try something else.  About the crying after sex, my husband didn't see me do this , otherwise he probably wouldv'e qustioned his performance :)

#4 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

It will end. It. Is not fun but it WILL get better.

#5 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

After feeling like I was going to cry all day yesterday, I finally let it all out in my mother's arms last night. I mean an all out belly cry.. I have to say that I felt pretty good after I did that. Chicken soup for the soul indeed. I felt decent the rest of the evening. and had some sleepytime tea to help relax me to go to bed.  Since I have been drinking this I have had no nightmares and seem to sleep pretty well with the excpetion of getting up around 5:00 AM and having some trouble staying asleep .  Today I feel ok, brain zaps are pretty strong and still feel  depressed but I feel like I can talk to people without wanting to cry.  This , to me, is huge.  Still, I am hoping this goes away soon. I hate feeling like a shell of my former self.  I will continue to exercise and eat well.

#6 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

Day 7- I got a call from my doctor yesterday  that made me very upset. The reason I reached out to her is because she is the one doctor whom I trust imensly.  It was actually her nurse practitioner who called me and said there is nothing you can take for the withdrawl and it should be out of your system in a week. Gee thanks! When I tried to explain to her the hell I was going through she just said "yeah there is nothing you can take for it" Almost like I was wasting her time.  Was is it doctor's don't take this seriously? We are all going through this hell and doctor's just shrug their shoulders like it's nothing!  I had some bad nightmares last night / One in which a guy was trying to keep looking through my apartment window. It scared me so much at one point I almost cried out to my husband but then realized it was a dream. Still have that horrible sadness that I can't shake. I have been able to mask most of it pretty well but it feels like I can't get back  the joy  I was feeling prior to going off of it.  I am doing ok with the brain zaps and stomach problems. Like I said before, I would much rather deal with the physical aspects of the withdrawl than the emotional. Had an interesting thing happen to me yesterday when I went to my Zumba class. About 15 minutes into the workout I almost lost it laughing. All of the sudden, people looked extremely funny doing their workout.  I really had to try to contain myself. My question is, what should I take for these side effects? I really can't spend a lot of money and I have to be careful what I take because I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism.  Is there any one vitamin/herb that can help me get through this?

#7 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hi pammyp

So sorry to hear of your terrible experience with your doctor's nurse practitioner. They obviously have not read the prescribing information on this crap. Minimum 6 weeks before it is out of your bloodstream, but it doesn't take that long to start to feel better thankfully.

I would suggest L-theanine (make sure it is suntheanine). It helps me immensely with the moodiness.

Take 200mg first thing when you get up on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. This can be repeated just before supper if needed (I had to for the first 4 weeks off).

Finding strange things hilariously funny is a good sign by the way and whenever possible let is out and laugh as it is very therapeutic.

Take care

#8 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thank you for getting back to me Nancy!  I will give Suntheanine a shot. I was wondering how long before I start to feel relativly normal?  I just want to get this over with and find my joy again.

#9 Liptingle

Liptingle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hi there I have been on cymbalta for well over 2 years I'm in Australia and just want to get off this drug. It's of no benefit to me, it was prescribed for depression and chronic pain, which turned out to be real when they finally discovered I had a severely herniated neck disc pressing on the spinal cord. Anyways I find I've had more suicidal idealization on this drug and sick of popping pills everyday. I've tried going cold turkey and was suffering alot of the symptoms I've read about including my whole mouth tingling out of control at first I thought I was going crazy and it was all in my mind but I know it ain't . My dr is of no help his advise to come off is to start taking 30mgs on alternate days and then to add an extra day between doses. It hasn't worked so on my quest to be free of this crap I found a site that suggests taking out the little balls in the capsule. So day one I took out 7 day two 14 I'm on day three and have taken out 21 of them. I noticed a slight change to my mood but so far no buzzing or tingling. I'm going to keep up with this and see how it all pans out. Apparently the 60mg tab has 540 of these little balls inside the capsule and the 30mg has 370 I couldn't be bothered to count them so I trust this is right. I will continue with this method and keep everyone posted on how I go. Wish me luck!!!

#10 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Liptingle, I hope all goes well with you weaning off the drug. I think had I known to do that initially I would have tried that but at the moment I just want it out of my system. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

#11 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

Day 8- Last night I went out with some friends I haven't seen in a while and it was great. I felt decent all the while we were together. My question to you all....has anyone experienced memory issues as a withdrawl effect? My memory is usually spot on but I find I have a very hard time finding words. Also, any time one of my friends brought up something,  I couldn't remember it. Also equally frustrating when I went on facebook and couldn;t rememeber my password. I go on there everyday.  I am going to pick up the Suntheanine tonight so I can get started on it right away. I hope it works for me ! 

#12 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yes pammyp I have had a terrible time with memory and finding words.

Also my spelling became terrible and I still find that I have to proofread everything I type a couple of times to catch my errors.

That is getting better now so there is hope lol. 

It's very frustrating but it will pass.

Take care

#13 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi there I have been on cymbalta for well over 2 years I'm in Australia and just want to get off this drug. It's of no benefit to me, it was prescribed for depression and chronic pain, which turned out to be real when they finally discovered I had a severely herniated neck disc pressing on the spinal cord. Anyways I find I've had more suicidal idealization on this drug and sick of popping pills everyday. I've tried going cold turkey and was suffering alot of the symptoms I've read about including my whole mouth tingling out of control at first I thought I was going crazy and it was all in my mind but I know it ain't . My dr is of no help his advise to come off is to start taking 30mgs on alternate days and then to add an extra day between doses. It hasn't worked so on my quest to be free of this crap I found a site that suggests taking out the little balls in the capsule. So day one I took out 7 day two 14 I'm on day three and have taken out 21 of them. I noticed a slight change to my mood but so far no buzzing or tingling. I'm going to keep up with this and see how it all pans out. Apparently the 60mg tab has 540 of these little balls inside the capsule and the 30mg has 370 I couldn't be bothered to count them so I trust this is right. I will continue with this method and keep everyone posted on how I go. Wish me luck!!!

Hi Liptingle and welcome

You are doing the taper or bead counting the right way so you will do fine.

If at any time you start having side effects then just stay at the same dose for a few days until things settle down.

Are you taking the supplements suggested? I do recommend the Omega 3 and B vitamin complex as the most needed.

Keep us up to date and let us know how you are doing.

Take care

#14 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

Day 7- I got a call from my doctor yesterday  that made me very upset. The reason I reached out to her is because she is the one doctor whom I trust imensly.  It was actually her nurse practitioner who called me and said there is nothing you can take for the withdrawl and it should be out of your system in a week. Gee thanks! When I tried to explain to her the hell I was going through she just said "yeah there is nothing you can take for it" Almost like I was wasting her time.  Was is it doctor's don't take this seriously? We are all going through this hell and doctor's just shrug their shoulders like it's nothing!  I had some bad nightmares last night / One in which a guy was trying to keep looking through my apartment window. It scared me so much at one point I almost cried out to my husband but then realized it was a dream. Still have that horrible sadness that I can't shake. I have been able to mask most of it pretty well but it feels like I can't get back  the joy  I was feeling prior to going off of it.  I am doing ok with the brain zaps and stomach problems. Like I said before, I would much rather deal with the physical aspects of the withdrawl than the emotional. Had an interesting thing happen to me yesterday when I went to my Zumba class. About 15 minutes into the workout I almost lost it laughing. All of the sudden, people looked extremely funny doing their workout.  I really had to try to contain myself. My question is, what should I take for these side effects? I really can't spend a lot of money and I have to be careful what I take because I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism.  Is there any one vitamin/herb that can help me get through this?

Hey Pammyp

it is so much a matter of luck if you get a dr who even knows about withdrawal:( a lot of them simply do not 'have it', even when the evidence is right under their noses. it's odd- one said to me once about another med I was coming off 'well my other patient on it, had NO problems withdrawing'.

people metabolise medication differently, and we are all physically individuals as much as mentally. it it sad that drs cannot see this, or bother to even have a quick look for themselves online about it. it would only take a minute for them to see how many people do have problems.

I am glad your mother was there for you to let it all out to, a cuddle can make all the difference. for those on here that don't have someone, we'll extend a massive e-cuddle to them:)

#15 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

good luck Liptingle! yes I had the lip tingling too:) great username

#16 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hey Pammyp

it is so much a matter of luck if you get a dr who even knows about withdrawal:( a lot of them simply do not 'have it', even when the evidence is right under their noses. it's odd- one said to me once about another med I was coming off 'well my other patient on it, had NO problems withdrawing'.

people metabolise medication differently, and we are all physically individuals as much as mentally. it it sad that drs cannot see this, or bother to even have a quick look for themselves online about it. it would only take a minute for them to see how many people do have problems.

I am glad your mother was there for you to let it all out to, a cuddle can make all the difference. for those on here that don't have someone, we'll extend a massive e-cuddle to them:)

That's a good idea Chimera

We need to develop a hug emoticon for this site.

I'm going to request one and see if the administer will add one for us lol.

Take care of you

Sending hugs to all

#17 Liptingle

Liptingle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks nancy,chimera and pammyp day 7 today 49 balls out, had one brain pop experience and ears ringing,yesterday but this ain't gonna curb my determination to get off this crapalta. Besides that I think I'm doing pretty damn good. I must say I am pretty lethargic n don't have much motivation or energy but then again I might b just plain lazy lol anyhow Nancy I will take ur advise I may need some vitamin b to sort this out. I'm so glad I found this site it's encouraging me to stay strong and focussed. Pammyp if all else fails try removing beads, I know it took me over a month to really make this commitment to try this especially going thru the horrible symptoms of trying to get off this by other methods. I had alot of doubt as to whether there was any merit in this. I can honestly say so far this is better. I sincerely wish u all the best in ur quest. Will keep posting LUV to all xxxx

#18 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

This is for everyone and especially for you Chimera

:hug:  from me to everyone who needs it.

Take care

#19 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Day 11- To all of my fellow fighters :hug:   We can do this, we can defeat it and we can always lean on each other for support

I had an ok weekend, Saturday was dencent with the occasional lethargic spell. Sunday was pretty bad...felt so lethargic and sad all day until around 8:00 PM. I don't know about anyone else , I just seem to feel best late in the evening for some reason. I started on Suntheanine yesterday and I think it is helping. Today I feel a little more alert. Didn't have a nightmare last night.  and just seem to be doing ok for it being a monday and a work.  The test will be when I meet with my surgeon this afternoon. I have to get my gall baldder removed and I am going to ask her if it will be wise to do the surgery when I am going through withdrawl. Has anyone else had this experience? Just don;t know id I should go under an anthestetic when I am withdrawling. 

Great idea on the hug emoticon Chimera and thank you so much Nancy for getting it installed :)

#20 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

That's a good idea Chimera

We need to develop a hug emoticon for this site.

I'm going to request one and see if the administer will add one for us lol.

Take care of you

Sending hugs to all

lol yes Nancy, this is vital and we need one! hugs to you

#21 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

This is for everyone and especially for you Chimera

:hug:  from me to everyone who needs it.

Take care

:hug: it's there already, ooh! that felt good, so good:) thank you

#22 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Thanks nancy,chimera and pammyp day 7 today 49 balls out, had one brain pop experience and ears ringing,yesterday but this ain't gonna curb my determination to get off this crapalta. Besides that I think I'm doing pretty damn good. I must say I am pretty lethargic n don't have much motivation or energy but then again I might b just plain lazy lol anyhow Nancy I will take ur advise I may need some vitamin b to sort this out. I'm so glad I found this site it's encouraging me to stay strong and focussed. Pammyp if all else fails try removing beads, I know it took me over a month to really make this commitment to try this especially going thru the horrible symptoms of trying to get off this by other methods. I had alot of doubt as to whether there was any merit in this. I can honestly say so far this is better. I sincerely wish u all the best in ur quest. Will keep posting LUV to all xxxx

it's definitely not laziness lol, this takes the body's entire energy sources and will to get through it, it's exhausting on every level imaginable- so be good to yourself, rest up and use it as a time to do whatever you like to recover. whatever you feel like, even if it's just something completely non productive or just staring into space, it's not time wasted, it's just recuperation. vit b is great for the nervous system, and you're most likely depleted right now. 

#23 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Day 11- To all of my fellow fighters :hug:   We can do this, we can defeat it and we can always lean on each other for support

I had an ok weekend, Saturday was dencent with the occasional lethargic spell. Sunday was pretty bad...felt so lethargic and sad all day until around 8:00 PM. I don't know about anyone else , I just seem to feel best late in the evening for some reason. I started on Suntheanine yesterday and I think it is helping. Today I feel a little more alert. Didn't have a nightmare last night.  and just seem to be doing ok for it being a monday and a work.  The test will be when I meet with my surgeon this afternoon. I have to get my gall baldder removed and I am going to ask her if it will be wise to do the surgery when I am going through withdrawl. Has anyone else had this experience? Just don;t know id I should go under an anthestetic when I am withdrawling. 

Great idea on the hug emoticon Chimera and thank you so much Nancy for getting it installed :)

unless it's going to be an emergency op, if it could be delayed a little, it would be wise? by the time your op is scheduled (if it's anything like the UK) you'll be well and truly out of withdrawal lol:) Nancy might know best what the optimum time for this would be, I am guessing a couple of months at least?

#24 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

I know that you shouldn't try any new meds in the first 6 weeks off this crap according to the prescribing information.

My experience says not to try any new meds for at least the first 12 weeks off as I have had some horrible reactions and each time I stopped a new med it was "The Return of the Crapalta Cymptoms" and not pleasant at all.

I know for myself I would be very cautious about having any surgery due to the anesthetic, pain  and other meds that they need to give you.

I think that a very open and honest conversation is needed with the Surgeon and probably the Anesthesiologist (doctor who gives the anesthetic) as they usually know more about adverse drug reactions than the regular doctors or even the Surgeons do.

I'm not sure where Crapalta stands in relation to the types of meds they give you during surgery.

It is always best to give the Surgeon and Anesthesiologist a complete list of all meds and supplements too you take and the doseage for your own safety any time that you have surgery. That includes vitamins, minerals and herbals- even herbal teas that are medicinal like Lemon Balm Tea and Green Tea.

Pammyp - Let us know what the Surgeon thinks as it would be good to know.

:hug: s all around for everyone.

Take care

#25 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Day 13- Hello all- Talked with the surgeon and she seems to not be too concerned about it since my surgery will be on the 1st . I am going to get a pre -op physical next week and I will also bring it up to my primary care doctor. I am thinking that I may just take ibuprofen for the pain so as not to get any side effects from pain pills. I can handle pain pretty wel. I got all of my wisdom teeth removed at once and I didn't need the vicadin they gave me :) 

Also, the Sunthanine seems to be working quite well! The periods of sadness are less and I seem to be much more alert. The brain zaps are still hanging in as is the inability to really be able to focus. Though I do seem to be getting better and that makes me so happy!  A big shout out to Nancy for telling me about this miracle in a bottle :) 

#26 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hello pammyp

So glad that the L-theanine is helping. I helps me alot too.

Well you should be about over the side effects by the time you have your surgery so that will be good.

You are doing very well and should be proud of yourself. It is no simple thing to stop taking cymbalta.

Take care of you

#27 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

Day 15- Suntheanine really seems to be making a difference. The brain zaps seem to be going away little by little. Dreams are still very vivid but they are more dreams then nightmares.  I am seeing more of my former self.. The one thing I have to complain about it the fact that I can get a little moody though this may be because I am PMSing :)  Can;t wait  for the weekend ! 

Sending :hug: to all of my fellow fighters in hopes you are well today

#28 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Hi Pammyp

Thank you for the hug and one for you :hug:

Yes I would imagine that the PMSing would make the moodiness worse. PMS is bad enough without the Crapalta withdrawals.

You have done really well in getting off. Day 15 already - - good for you :)

The hardest part is over and the next part is easier although sometimes it seems to take forever.

But You can do it!

You can beat Crapalta!!

#29 pammyp

pammyp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thank you Nancy!  You guys have been such a great comfort through all of this  I do lean on my family but it helps to talk with those that have been through it firsthand and to help me see there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I was so scared and part of me is still scared , but you all helped me find my way. I appreciate you!

#30 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Day 15- Suntheanine really seems to be making a difference. The brain zaps seem to be going away little by little. Dreams are still very vivid but they are more dreams then nightmares.  I am seeing more of my former self.. The one thing I have to complain about it the fact that I can get a little moody though this may be because I am PMSing :)  Can;t wait  for the weekend ! 

Sending :hug: to all of my fellow fighters in hopes you are well today

well done to you! good news about the surgery also, you sound like you're doing really well :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users