#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

I was just reading an article by FDA on the new generic cymbalta. The manufacturers are not putting an enteric coating on it like Eli Lilly uses on their beads. This allows most of the generic to dissolve n the stomach and increase the risk of stomach bleeding. It also increases the risk of hepatictoxicity (liver damage). In addition this also increases the amount of generic that is absorbed into the blood strteam. Just food for thought.

#2 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

oh my god. this is very scary indeed:/ and very sinister, the thought of more being absorbed (shudders)

#3 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Well it will be cheaper so why not let it make you sick faster.

It will also make the bead counting way of getting off it almost impossible as well. Not good for the people who take the generic version at all unless they make a lower dose which I don't see happening. If the beads are not coated then it is hazardous to open it. I wonder if we should be adding "only do this with the name brand and not the generic" to the beading counting info.

Scary thought of someone opening a capsule and getting sick or injured because of it.

#4 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

ouch!! I am very scared of that, I will need to INSIST that my pharmacist keeps buying the real Cymbalta until I am off it :(

#5 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

Just make sure that your doctor puts on the prescription that it is to be filled with brand name not generic.

A whole bunch of insurance plans are going to stop covering cymbalta once the generic brand becomes available.

#6 girlcat

girlcat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    I need help understand withdrawal from this drug.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

Do you think will be seeing commercials by attorneys offering to sue Eli Lilly sometime soon?  When does the generic come out?

#7 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,271 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi Girlcat

I think we will see those commercials eventually but how soon who knows. Probably not soon enough but all we can do is wait.

I think there is quite a process before the generic will come out but I could be wrong. Fishinghat would probably have a better idea on the timing of that. It bothers me that all those people who didn't try it due to the cost are now going to beable to afford the generic and be harmed by this horrible drug.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

The FDA has given permission for the generic to be made but has backed off several times on when it can be released into the market. There has been overseas manufactures for several years but I can't find any record of a US company that is ready to produce. That may be the hold up, they don't want those billons of blood dollars to go over seas.

#9 chimera

chimera

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlondon
  • why_joining:
    to share my experience and to ask for help

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

we have no commercials for antidepressants here, ever. this is good. I noticed when looking at Cosmopolitan US magazine (I prefer the US version, more to it) and noticed that lots of drugs seem to be advertised heavily. this made me blink, but then read on and side effects and warnings are put in great detail I saw. not for Cymbalta obviously, but it was interesting to see it for other types of meds. 

#10 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

I just got  my script for Cymbalta refilled and it was the generic. I'm scared to death as  my insurance wont cover the name brand  and I'm doing bead counting. Maybe i should see what my pharmacist knows if anything about not being able to safely bead count with these. I can't afford  to pay name brand!!! Samples  from pharma always go away when a drug goes generic. Doubting Medicare will make an exception for my reason, but I will ask my doc today and see what he has to say. I am very sensitive to withdrawal and have and will be bead counting for a long long time. So scared and discouraged... here we go ,wish me luck, sorry I'm a little negative today...

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Redjam, I am only familiar with one person who is going through withdrawal using the generic. He is bead counting and started in eqarly Dec so he hasn;t been at it long, but so far he hasn't had any problems.

#12 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

O gee's and i just returned a whole 90 day perscription and about 20 sample packages to my Dr.

#13 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Redjam I am bead counting. Began Nov 7. Wishing you luck. Some prayers n cyberhug 2 ♥ let us know how you're doing. .

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:38 AM

redjam- It's early yet, but I haven't read anything that would indicate you can't withdraw on the generic. If you feel you are sensitive to the withdrawal, go slow and consider reducing by 1% additional beads each day, and be done in 100 days. That is a nice, slow taper. And you can level off for some days if it's still too fast. 

You can do this. Please post your progress, and let everyone know how you're doing. Without a doubt your experience will help others.

Best wishes!

#15 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

redjam: YES please consider, after your w/drawal, staying on the forum and help others who will be finding their way thru Cymbalta hell.

Had it not been for the caring, compassionate members here I don't know what I would have DONE! I am a spiritual woman and also believe

I have gotten help from my God....anyhow please let us know how you're doing as you go thru this weaning process...TheEquusWoman :hug:

#16 AaronSD

AaronSD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • why_joining:
    I am starting to discontinue Cymbalta for the second time. This site has really opened my eyes to the extent of the harmful effects of this medication. Hope to share insights.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

I was just reading an article by FDA on the new generic cymbalta. The manufacturers are not putting an enteric coating on it like Eli Lilly uses on their beads. This allows most of the generic to dissolve n the stomach and increase the risk of stomach bleeding. It also increases the risk of hepatictoxicity (liver damage). In addition this also increases the amount of generic that is absorbed into the blood strteam. Just food for thought.

Several manufacturers have been approved to sell generic Cymbalta (Duloxetine HCl DR).  All of them will be delayed release (DR) formulations just like the brand name product by Lilly (See: http://www.fda.gov/N...s/ucm378282.htm ).  Delayed release and enteric coated are synonymous.  If a generic verision is not of the same general formulation (i.e. immediate release, delayed release, extended release) as the brand, it would not be considered theraputically equivalent by the FDA.  A pharmacy should not substitute Lilly brand Cymbalta with a generic that is not rated theraputically equivalent unless approved by the prescribing physician (See: http://www.medscape....warticle/416390 ).

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

You are right AaronSD about the DR being from enteric coated but the FDA has allowed the production of generic that is NOT enteric coated acording to one of their documents/ I will see of I can find a reference again.

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

I can not find the reference I looked at before. Once again I must admit that your information is correct and current. I am so sorry about misleading you all. My depest apologies and my thanks to Aaron for correcting the situation.

#19 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:46 AM

I'm from England and take the cymbalta made by Lily. Can you explain what I need to look out for if my doctor changes mine to the other brand please. I am starting bead counting today.
Many thanks. Xx

#20 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

It has only been on the market here in the US for less than a month. So far I haven't heard of any problems other than the normal side effects from Cymbalta. I wouldn't think it would be an issue but it is still early.

#21 AaronSD

AaronSD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationArizona
  • why_joining:
    I am starting to discontinue Cymbalta for the second time. This site has really opened my eyes to the extent of the harmful effects of this medication. Hope to share insights.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'm from England and take the cymbalta made by Lily. Can you explain what I need to look out for if my doctor changes mine to the other brand please. I am starting bead counting today.
Many thanks. Xx

I'm not familiar with UK rules regarding drug approval and dispensing, but I imagine you should be able to ask your pharmacist if you are getting a product that is theraputically equivalent to the Lilly brand, if a generic brand is dispensed to you.  You could also be more specific and ask if the generic brand you are getting is a delayed release (or enteric coated) formulation, if you are concerned about the issues initially brought up by fishinghat in this thread.

#22 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Many thanks. Xx

Most doctors will give you enough free samples to get you through this transition.     Based on the mixed reviews I am hearing about the generic version, I would try to get the Cymbalta if you possibly can.  Too bad we can't all pour our beads into a universal bin and donate them to the beat tapering cause! :-/ 

#23 scared60

scared60

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • why_joining:
    Had a scary incident, now thinking of getting off Cymbalta. I came for advice, support and friendship.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

so why can't you do the bead counting with the generic?  I just picked up my rx a couple of days ago and got the generic, came to this website after an "episode" ... and am now considering the bead counting, but why couldn't you with the generic? it's a capsule like the brand name ...

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Scared60, I am with you. You should be able to use the generics the same way.

#25 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

I didn't mean to create confusion.   Yes...there is no reason why you couldn't do the bead counting with the generic.   I meant to direct that to Mollymoo who was still on Cymbalta and on the way down.   I just meant that is someone is weaning off that it might be better to stick with the exact product.  Generics are not always exactly the same - but that's just my opinion.    I hope my comments didn't create any unnecessary stress for anyone.  

#26 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hi Tim, how are you doing?

I agree. I remember those fragile moments during withdrawal when the thought of switching to a generic would have produced some anxiety. But now that I'm out, it wouldn't worry me.

But you know, I always thought Advil works better than generic ibuprofen. Haha. I guess it relates the effectiveness of the placebo- but it all comes back to the mysterious power of the brain and how it responds to suggestion.

#27 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Also an FYI, now that Cymbalta has gone generic, Eli Lilly no longer provides free samples to your doctor. Believe me, I asked everywhere I could for them...all gone :(  Sorry, I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news if this has stressed anyone, but best to be informed... We can do this, right??!!

#28 Akk

Akk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Yes, you can do this. You have the will and the way.

#29 redjam

redjam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • why_joining:
    In Cymbalta hell!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Thank you for your words of encouragement, Akk! Of course no one had this information ready and waiting for us in advance to help with the transition. It has and always will be up to us, it seems, to figure it out along the way... 

#30 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

Hi Tim, how are you doing?

I agree. I remember those fragile moments during withdrawal when the thought of switching to a generic would have produced some anxiety. But now that I'm out, it wouldn't worry me.

But you know, I always thought Advil works better than generic ibuprofen. Haha. I guess it relates the effectiveness of the placebo- but it all comes back to the mysterious power of the brain and how it responds to suggestion.

Hi thismoment...thank you for asking about me...I will be honest with you (and I struggle with this), but I am not feeling very well; and it is freaking me out.    I think I feel worse now than I did when I first started.  I know the advice is probably to slow down and go back a few steps.  But I am losing my patience.   Work has been extremely demanding the past week or so.   And, while I have never been a super "emotional" person, I am finding that my emotions are all over the board.  I hardly ever cry...but I have found myself feeling emotional about stuff that would never impact me that way.   I am used to being "in control" and the responsible one in most situations.   Now I feel like I have become someone I don't even recognize anymore.   

I think part of what is bothering me is that I am remember why I originally got on Cymbalta - the neuropathic pain related to the spine surgery.   I feel like I'm 100 years old (I'm only 48).   I'm ashamed of myself for getting into this situation.   I know I sound ridiculous right now.   I just want this to stop.   It's like watching the world go on around and not really being there.  I know you know what I mean.    I'm so frustrated.  

Sorry...I'm being a big whiner tonight.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users