2 replies to this topic

#1 KristinMow

KristinMow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi there,

I have been weaning off of this drug now for 3.5 weeks with an initial dose of 30mg/60mg alternating days. I slowly started to wean when I found out that I was just a couple weeks pregnant and things have not been going the greatest! I am now just in the last 3 days off of Cymbalta and am suffering with some pretty bad withdrawl... Zapping of my whole body, nausea, headaches and so on.

I am wondering if anyone has tried has tried to tapper off as quickly as I have and just how long these terrible withdrawl symtoms have lasted? I'm sure that this isn't the easiest on the fetus and would be debating reintroducing it as a last resort. Possibly by opening up the capsule and dividing out the "beads" into an empty capsule.

Please help!!!!

#2 beadcounter

beadcounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

Poor babies! Is this your first child? If not, did you have nausea with other pregnancies? At three weeks you could be experiencing morning sickness in addition to withdrawal symptoms. I am so sorry!

There is really good info on bead counting and sample schedules for tapering in other posts. First step is to go back to last dose before you experienced withdrawal symptoms. I believe it is undesirable to switch doses on alternate days, but rather do a slow and steady taper. Depending on where you live there are different doses (20 mg, 30 mg) that could permit you to step down from 60 to 50 (30+20) to 40 (20+20) to 30 to 20. If your doc cannot provide samples I suggest you will want to contact your insurance company for authorization to fill one prescription with combo doses or you may have to pay double. (I requested 60 mg as 2x 30 mg so I could start with split doses for am and pm and it was $440 instead of 220. for one month.) :0

I also suggest you look at the forum for nutrition advice that supports this process.

BTW-You will want to do your own bead count when you get to the lowest dosage. One forum member has posted pics showing big differences in size and number of beads for 60 mg. depending on source. Argg! 

Best wishes for you and your baby on board!

#3 MichCPA

MichCPA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

My doctor was already tapering me off of Cymbalta before I was pregnant, but that got sped up once I found out I was pregnant. I had been on antidepressants for 12 years, Cymbalta for 4. I had been on 60mg 2x/day for about 15 months. He dropped me to 60mg 1x/day for about a month I think (pregnancy brain - I can't even remember). At my last visit he took me down to 30mg 1x/day for 15 days and then I would be off of it. I knew I was pregnant almost immediately and had a positive PT 2 weeks after conception. I was very happy to find out so early so that I could get off meds asap. I had 3 days left to go on 30mg/day when I found out and called my doctor. He told me to just stop taking it altogether. I am also going off of Lamictal. I had been on 200mg 2x/day for over a year. He told me I could go off that quickly. He said to take 200mg 1x/day for 3 days, then half that for 3 days and then stop completely.

I am a complete mess! As if morning sickness, dizziness and mood swings in pregnancy aren't enough on its own, this withdrawal is just awful. I have "brain zaps" (which I called electric shocks) almost constantly. I get angry so quickly that it scares me. I fly off the handle about the most ridiculous things and actually feel rage.  Woe the customer service rep who has had to deal with me when there have been various calls I have had to make about annoying (but insignificant) problems. I am embarrassed about my behavior but feel so out of control I don't even know how to stop it. I cry over absolutely nothing. People who say just take a deep breath and relax can kiss my ass!

How long will these awful symtpoms last? My doctor told me absolutely NOTHING about withdrawal symptoms. I just started a new job a month ago. I am a CPA and we are just starting to get into tax busy season. This is a hard enough time to have gotten pregnant, but this withdrawal is just compounding everything exponentially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users