• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 terristar30

terristar30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • why_joining:
    I had a terrible reaction from withdrawing from Cymbalta.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:27 PM

I woke up a day and a half after stopping a low dose of Cymbalta (around 20mg) with a headache, nausea, and dizziness. I had no idea why I felt like this and I thought maybe I was just getting sick or something. The symptoms worsened as the day progressed. I got to the point where I couldn't walk, lift my legs or arms and I felt like I couldn't breathe. My family had to call 911 and I was taken to my local emergency room where I was diagnosed with a severe panic attack. I have never had a panic attack before this in my life! After contacting my psychiatrist he told me I was having serotonin withdrawal from the Cymbalta I was taking. Today I'm am still recovering....I still feel very anxious, nauseous, dizzy and have a headache. I am praying each day will get a little bit better!

#2 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

Terristar30:

I am so sorry that you had this emergency. Bless you! I am relieved you and your family took you to the hospital. It is always best to be sure.

I hope you have cruised around this forum and the posts regarding symptoms and side effects of Cymbalta withdrawal. There is a lot of information regarding what has made others feel better and ways to help deal with the 'horrid' physical pain of Cymbalta cessation syndrome. You will be relieved to know you aren't the only one that has had the issues you are experiencing.

We're here for you Terristar30! I too hope you get better each day.

Best of wishes,
Houdi

#3 christie

christie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to join this forum because I also am a cymbalta survivor 3 weeks off and counting

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:28 AM

Try 3 trips to the ER for me. Im soooo mad!!

#4 deniserosner

deniserosner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    want to share my Cymbalta withdrawal horror story and thank everyone, mostly you guys, for saving my life with sites like this.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

what do they do for you in the ER? maybe i need to do that. i'm literally still walkign into walls after 30 days off this crap. i feel like i want to admit myself somewhere where they'll take care of me and give me stuff to make me sleep until this horror is out of my body or until my brain comes back to me. so scared that this will never go away.

#5 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

deniserosner:

If you feel at all suicidal, please call 911. Needless to say, withdrawal from Cymbalta is not an easy thing for some of us. Please take really, REALLY good care of yourself right now.

I promise you will not feel this way forever. It does get better. But somehow our brain doesn't adjust well to life without Cymbalta. And how horrible it is when our brain isn't happy!

I went cold turkey over a year ago. I felt horrible, a lot like you. Others were withdrawing at the same time I was and they seemed to be able to cope better with a 'bridge' prescription of another anti depressant, like Prozac to help the withdrawal symptoms. The forum members I corresponded with that got the 'bridge' prescription seemed to go through the process faster and the symptoms seemed to subside faster than my 'cold turkey' approach. I was happy for them, but I wish I would have had the relief they got. They seemed to be able to manage with a two week to one month 'bridge.' But, I got through.

How did I manage? Well this forum and another forum's members were all so helpful and supportive. We corresponded daily. My husband and sons were supportive and helpful. Then there were the supplements and the diet and the extra hydration. Also, I had to stop as much visual and mental stimuli as possible. No multi tasking. No movies. No books and newspapers. Work for 20 minutes then take a quick break. Close eyes and ears for a 'reset'. If I was home, I would lay in a dark room, cover my eyes with a dark cloth or sock, and reset my brain/motion sensors? Sounds strange, but it worked for me.

I also took benadryl, which helped with the sinus pressure I got and it helped make me tired when I needed to sleep. Dramamine helped and I took the over the counter GERD medicine for nausea, like pepcid. Massive Omega 3's, complex b (am and pm), a dose of evening primrose day and night, multi vitamin, calcium & D. The last two can give me tummy upset. I'd sit outside in the sun 15 minutes am and pm, if possible.

I would have a good day, then a string of bad days. It was so disheartening! But, I kept up the slow pace and pretty soon the good days starting stringing together.

You are really doing well. I promise you will get through this. Write if there is anything I can do to help or discuss or if you need to vent. Here 4 u! Houdi

#6 alipet01

alipet01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have SUFFERED greatly with this..... Cymbalta Withdrawal Symptoms TWICE
    once in Dec.08 (on leave of work for 1 month); dr. answer - migragine. They also requested I RESTART the Cymbalta; one year later (now) I've been trying to get off this (expensive) drug, slooooooowly and again suffering from the EXACT same debilitating symptoms... I had NO clue it was due to Cymbalta, nor did my Dr.s know.

I am CONVINCED this is the reason, escpecially after reading about all the EXACT SAME symptoms described by others. My term of "BRAIN SPASMS", seem a strange description to the Neurologist, but seems quite common here.

MY QUESTION: HOW DO YOU GET THEM TO STOP?!?!?!?

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

Hello everyone on this forum. I just joined.
OH MY GOOOOOSH, I had no idea there are so many of us going through the same debilitating symptoms.

I too had to go to the emergency room (last Nov.08), only to be told it was only due to being "Hypoglycemic".....OOOOH, NO..... If I'm Hypoglycemic at that moment, it is only because I can't Move my head, blink, walk, etc. Give me a meal, and let's retake the blood test. I was so angry.
They gave me a Cat Scan, then sent me home (STILL FEELING THE SAME).

The next day, I went to the dr. Here are all the steps I had to do:
1. EKG (they thought it was my heart).
2. 24 Hr. Heart Monitor (EKG was perfectly normal, so let's do it for 24 hr). - Still Normal
3. See an Internest, let's give you an X-Ray,
4. Neurologist (who by the way has ALLLLL my prescription history - including "Cymbalta"). She order MRI & EEG
5. MRI of both Neck & Head.
6. Hospital for EEG
7. (Pause - in the meantime, I am not able to work, I have 3 kids, single mom; on leave from work for 1 month).
8. Gave me Klonopin to SLEEP, actually after three weeks, this actually stopped the "BRAIN SPASMs" - Dr. couldn't understand my term. I wanted to cry.
9. End result of ALL THE COST & TIME & STRESS on work & my kids & ME..... "Migraine w/Aura - Complex" AND..... the big big AND>>....
10. RESTART TAKING THE CYMBALTA - I think it will help you (i'm sure at that time, she thought I was looney; I was extremely frustrated at the LACK of steps taken) when all along it's due to CYMBALTA WITHDRAWL ?!?!?!?

7 months later:
It's started all over (I've been trying to get off Cymbalta for over a month) - sloooooowwwwwlly went from 60 mg. to 30 mg (stayed at 30 mg. for 1 month); then 1 30 mg. every other day...... only to have THESE EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS.

Then I tried doing MY OWN research, and I Find YOU.....
My most important question from this lovely forum -

HOW DO YOU GET THE "BRAIN SPASMS", "BRAIN ZAP", or whatever your term is to STOPPPPPPP !!! Somewhere I read someone saying, "If you have them, you completely understand"....

ARE There any class action law suits being considered? I'm in !! NEVER had I ever thought to sue anyone; but this is damn dangerous & down right fraudulent.

thanks for letting me get my anger out - whew.... sorry :-)

#7 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:17 AM

alipet01:

Welcome! Sorry you have to be here.

You are welcome to vent anytime. No need to apologize, we've all felt just like you.

I believe you are on the 30 mg every other day program. I personally found every other day was like withdrawing every other day...over and over and over. Try to get a prescription for the 20 mg dose and take it every day until your brain and body feel ok. From there, you might try making your own lower dose of Cymbalta by getting empty pill capsules from a vitamin/nutrition store. Maybe a compounding pharmacist will help you make the lower doses of Cymbalta. Continue stepping down from there. You have to be very careful not to crush the Cymbalta beads, as they are time released. You'll find forum members posts here regarding lower doses. Or try lengthening the time between your doses. So, if you take Cymbalta every 24 hours, try stretching it to 30 hours then 36 hours, then 40 hours and then 48 hours then stop. But get to the lowest dose possible before you stop.

As you withdraw, it is hard to tolerate mental and visual stimulation. No multi-tasking. I found a quick reset for brain zaps and whooshing was to lay down with a cloth over my eyes for 5-15 minutes. Afternoons were always the worst.

Get plenty of rest and hydrate. There are lots of postings regarding otc medications for your symptoms and supplements that have helped others. Let us know how you are doing.

Best of wishes....Houdi

#8 alipet01

alipet01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have SUFFERED greatly with this..... Cymbalta Withdrawal Symptoms TWICE
    once in Dec.08 (on leave of work for 1 month); dr. answer - migragine. They also requested I RESTART the Cymbalta; one year later (now) I've been trying to get off this (expensive) drug, slooooooowly and again suffering from the EXACT same debilitating symptoms... I had NO clue it was due to Cymbalta, nor did my Dr.s know.

I am CONVINCED this is the reason, escpecially after reading about all the EXACT SAME symptoms described by others. My term of "BRAIN SPASMS", seem a strange description to the Neurologist, but seems quite common here.

MY QUESTION: HOW DO YOU GET THEM TO STOP?!?!?!?

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Houdi -
Thank you SO much for your kind, prompt reply.

Unfortunately, I have not taken this pill since..... Sunday of last week (exactly 7 days).
My Neurologist is out on vacation until Aug. 4th.... but I will definately make an appointment and share with her, all that I have learned about this drug.
I only saw her (because of all these terrible head symptoms I was having). She was at a loss, really.
I'm sure she was glad to get rid of me :-).
I should have never gone BACK ON the Cymbalta. I had no clue (obviously, neither did she), that this drug has such serious side effects.

After 7 days of no dosage, I think I should not start another. There should be healthier alternatives? Can you point me to a Post link where natural food supplements are discussed, if any?

You've been a great help to me. Thank you!!!

#9 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:45 AM

aliepet01:

Totally understand your thinking about not starting Cymbalta again. Phew. And, you've come a long way in 7 days, huh?

The brain 'whooshing' and vertigo was awful for me. It was distracting and very uncomfortable. And, it was one of the longest lasting issues I had. It sort of faded away for me, not a quick exit. Others forum members have an easier time with them. If you get very uncomfortable, you may want to discuss a 'supporting' prescription of a longer half life anti depressant to help with the withdrawal. I did not do this, but I wish I would have.

Try looking for posts from Greybeard. Look up his posts on the member page. I consider him the 'supplement guru'.

Talk soon. Keep posting and take this one day at a time. It does get easier.....Houdi

#10 mazie74

mazie74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    need support for cymbalta withdraws

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

i need help. cymbalta has ruined my life, i'm a wreck, i tried to get off of it but omg the withdraws are bad. this drug needs taken off the market. i just got out of ICU last week because i tried to take my own life and its because of the cymbalta, it has changed who i am. its not a good drug to b on. now how does the company expect people to get off it without all the affects. IT'S NOT RIGHT i have so much more to say can anybody help me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users