#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

A recent research article has been publshed that compares the potency of around 8 ssris. Milnacripan (new to me) increased seratonin the most with cymbalta a close second.  Don't forget after a couple months ssris actually reduce the amount of seratonin in the neural synapses. THe importance of this ... the more it effects seratonin levels the stronger the withdrawal and the longer it takes your body to adjust to being without the medicine.

#2 lady2882Nancy

lady2882Nancy

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

So we all really want to avoid the new SSNRI Milnacripan then.

Just looked it up and it has an insanely short half life of only 8-10 hours. 

OMG that would be worse than Crapalta.

You would have to take it two or three times a day and if you missed your evening dose you could conceivably wake up in withdrawals. Are they freaking nuts????

The idiots are recommending it for fibro in Canada -

Can you imagine the rebound pain one would experience getting off that?

Warn your friends and family.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

As usual...dead on Nancy. Love those pharm companies!! lol

#4 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

OMG ! this is ridiculous !!!

#5 katlvr

katlvr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

Fishinghat,  please, let me know what Ssri is and what you know about this drug.

I lost my son a year ago after he went cold turkey off of this, and I just went cold turkey off of it last Saturday.  It's just been horrible, horrible side affects.  I am going to follow this forum in hopes of getting more answers.

Thanks so very much.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Kativr, I am sorry to hear about your loss. That is really tragic. SSRI is a group of drugs that came on the market around 20 to 30 years ago. It stands for Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors. These compounds help control the bodies use of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is produced within our bodies. Among other things, serotonin helps with control of mood and sleep pattern as well as digestive activity. The most common side effects include loss of sexual functions, liver damage and suicide in young adults. Some of the side effects it produces can be permanent. For a detailed description of the characteristics of ssris I would refer you to Wikipedia.com which has a thorough explanation.  If you read through the article and have questions about any of the material or terms just let us know and we will try to get you an answer.

Cold turkey is NOT the way to go when trying to get off this medicine if you have a choice. It can take months for your body to readjust to controlling your own serotonin levels. Most of us used a method called bead counting. Simply open a capsule of Cymbalta and remove 5 of the little beads that are inside. The next day remove 10 beads, etc  This minimizes the withdrawal. Once you come off the cymbalta you will suffer from some significant withdrawal for 4 to 8 weeks with things beginning to show signs of improvement after 2 or 3 weeks. You can have flashbacks of withdrawal for months after coming off. One of the reasons why...ssris, including Cymbalta, is stored in the liver and fat tissue and continues to be released into the blood long after you have stopped taking it.

There are some supplements that you can take to help with these symptoms but I am not really the best one to address this issue. You might try searching the site for that info.

Again, my deepest sympathies on your loss, unluckily this is not new when it comes to ssris.

#7 katlvr

katlvr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thank you fishinghat.  Your posts I know have helped so many people, because just within a few hours, you've helped me so much.

I am on day six now, cold turkey, I wish I would have known about this forum and the bead counting before.  Now, I am just too afraid to have this in my system at  all, ever again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users