Photo

My Doctor Does Not Want Me To Get Off Cymbalta...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi everyone,

Just got back from seeing my psychiatrist today, told him I started weaning cymbalta mid-august (even though I knew he was against it)... He is happy I am doing well, and happy I finally was able to get rid of the remeron (which he was not the one who had prescribed it to me)...But he tells me this,

because I have no problem with cymbalta (no side effects ever)

because I suffered a severe major depression (that lasted about 3 years before I started to feel better)

Because they tried sooooo many different meds (which did not work at all)

Because I am now functionnal, working full time and able to deal with whatever comes my way...

He beleives I should be on cymbalta for the rest of my life, he thinks my depression is still there somewhere and the med is stabilizing it...

He knows about the very bad cymbalta withdrawal,

He knows I have been bead counting

He knows I can do it very gradually and will stop to stabilize the minute I have symptoms (I won't risk going back to that dark place again...)

Butstill he tells me that with all his experience, he cannot support my going off it and that I am doing it at my own risk...

For him the fact that I am well and able to function in society is gold because most of the patients that go through what I did never fully recover,..  MAYBE that is a sign of how stubborn I am and that I will win this fight :P

I can also see that he has a lot of experience and although he hooked me on this crap, He also saved me from a world of despair, deprssion and anxiety, I think that because of him I am able to take care of my girls and live life, I also think that the human body and brain cn heal itself, while he thinks my depression is like diabetes and I shall live with it forever...

with all this said, I will be extreamely careful, and extreamely aware of all symptoms, I will continue to wean But without putting my sanity in jeoperdy...if It gets too bad, I will stick with the med...but hopefully I won't have to.

:hug: to everyone xx

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

You are absolutely right on sk8mom. He may be right in that your depression might return as you reach lower doses of cymbalta but 'might' is the important word. The things that caused the original depression, are they still around? Have you been taught coping skills for the depression? These are all important factors in if it may come back or not. But I have got to agree with you in your efforts. At the very minimum you will find out just how little medicine you can get by with. The less cymbalta the better.  Hang in there girl. I have to beleive that if anyone can do this you can!!

#3 h2oinCA

h2oinCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Good for you sk8mom!  I admire your determination to rid yourself of these poisons.  The bottom line is, as you stated in your post, you can always return to the Cymbalta (or perhaps something easier to quit in the future, like Prozac) if you need it.  Like you, I'm in the process of weaning off Crapalta too (60mg/day).  I'm on Day 11 of a slow taper (5 beads/day) and hope to be off this crap by the end of October.  Then, I'll tackle the Remeron in a similar manner, although I'm only on 15mg of that.  Hopefully, I'll be drug-free by Christmas!  Best wishes to you in your pursuit of HAPPINESS!  Keep us posted....

#4 Ape

Ape

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi all i am so glad can do this my doctor wants me to start win off cymbalta on October. He think I am not stable yet because I end up crying in his office. Unfortunately when I think at what happen to me I cry still. But thank God I am not in such despair anymore. After taking the Meds the only thing i could think was on how to kill myself it only lasted one day. But after being in the hospital i was only thing And pray to die. Nothing Made sense for me i thought my son was Old enough to take care of himself And my husband was fine i Now realized they are not ready to stay by themseves. Even thought i am stupid And ingenue they still need me. Even if i can t find any good Pay or not good Pay job At this moment. I try to go for walks And i try to move around the house but getting up the morning is hard i don t get any motivation. Any idea on how to push myself? Plus i want to ask what kind of supplement did you take to not having side effects? Thank you for sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users