28 replies to this topic

#1 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

I called Eli-Lilly today and asked where I might find instructions for safe withdrawal from Cymbalta. The nice lady at Eli-Lilly said they don't publish anything like that. Although she did say that you should never quit that stuff cold turkey. 

She said for information on how to safely withdraw from Cymbalta, you need to talk to your physician. I asked if the physicians received instructions from Eli-Lilly on how to advise their patients on withdrawal, and if so, could I get a copy of that document?  

She said she didn't think there was such a document, but the physicians will know best how to help you withdraw safely.

There you go. Interesting.

#2 sk8mom

sk8mom

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • why_joining:
    I want to get off cymbalta...I hope to find a way to do it as easy as possible and be able to help other people afterwards.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Of course ! :angry:  completely ridiculous, I can't believe these meds are put out there without any way to actually safely get off them...

#3 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I tried coming off Cymbalta the instructions given me per my pain physician...When I hit day #10 going from 60mg down to 30mg...the withdrawal symptoms from hell descended upon me....I was so fortunate to have found this site and the way to do it w/the bead counting method...I am now down 15 beads and tomorrow will be one week. So far so good...Thx to all here who have been so helpful to me! God Bless :hug:

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

Of course ! :angry:  completely ridiculous, I can't believe these meds are put out there without any way to actually safely get off them...

JMO but they are IDIOTS they don't care as long as the $$$$$ keeps rolling in for 'them'......have a nice day, nice lady @ Eli~Lilly :wacko:  :blink:  :P  :rolleyes:

#5 thatstheoldme

thatstheoldme

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

#6 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

JMO this drug is poison with horrible side effects and withdrawals from HELL. Has been for me anyhow. . EquusWoman.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

Equuswoman don't forget to level off your bead counting if the symptoms become too hellish. Don't rush. You will get through this.

I assure you I know the hell you feel, and I assure you it does get better.  

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

The research literature shows that around 80% of those who withdraw from Cymbalta do NOT have any withdrawal. My previous pdoc (currently retired after 30 years) confirms that that is about the rate she has seen. I personally know 2 people who have quit with no symptoms. we are just part of the 'lucky" ones. lol

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Fishinghat- that's interesting. I'm sure there is useful information to be found in the withdrawal techniques of those 80%. But when people don't encounter a problem, you never hear about it. 

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

In one study the participants were given 60 to 120 mg of cymbalta for one month. They were then weaned off over a two week period. Only 30% had any withdrawal symptoms. No other meds or supplements allowed.

A second trial had patients taking 120 mg per day and they stopped by going cold turkey. Only 44% reported withdrawal symptoms.

The third study was divided into 4 groups, each group taking a different amount of cymbalta(30, 60, 90, and 120,g) After one month they went through a three week weaning. From 19 to 31% had withdrawal symptoms. The higher rates were associated with the highest doses. No other medicines or supplements were allowed during the tests.

Amazing results.

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

That is interesting. I wonder what the graph would look like if the time was stretched from 1 month to 12 or 24 months.

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

This is from a post I made several months ago.

"I just found an article which studied the long lasting effect of ssri withdrawal symptoms. They noted that some of the psychological effects from the withdrawal lasted up to a year. Based on this research the WIki site states that "Most cases of discontinuation syndrome last between one and four weeks, but a substantial minority, perhaps up to 15% of users, have persistant withdrawal symptoms evident one year post withdrawal." UP TO A YEAR? FOR REAL? 15% is a lot of people."

Also you might want to look at this long-study on prozac and paxil.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ith agoraphobia.

#13 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Here's a quote from that article.

"Discontinuation syndromes appeared to be fairly common even when performed with slow tapering and during clinical remission. In some cases disturbances persisted for months after discontinuation."

It does get better and better as time goes on, and there's no way to know how long it will take.

Here's a question: What kinds of proactive strategies could people take to help in their withdrawal?  For me, going for long daily walks in the park helped a great deal. Early on I did occupy the couch, but when I was able to get up, get dressed and get moving at some project (like cut the grass), I felt better.

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

I agree with you on the exercise. One of the current theories among the researchers centers around excess medicine build up in fat tissue. It has long been known that ssris are NOT water soluble but fat soluble. Any 'unused' ssri will deposite in the liver (that is why liver damage is common among ssri) or fat tissue. Many researchers beleive that as we wean ourself off the cymbalta the excess in the fat tissue is released and extends our withdrawal. It has been shown that in obese patients detectable amount of cymbalta can be found in their blood up to 1 year after discontinuing the crap. Perhaps early intervention with exercise and diet may get our weight down and limit the amount of cymbalta in our system. One kicker to that is most of the meds taken by anxiety patients slow metabolism and increase  the weight  of the individual. Even though I carefully watch what I eat and exercise 6 days a week (including running 3 miles per day). My weight stays at 40 pounds overweight.

Another thing that may help is high doses of omega 3 fish oils. Cymbalta is soluble in omega 3 and may help pull out some of this cymbalta stored in our system.

#15 Ape

Ape

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

Thank you fishinghat I will try walking everyday what do you do beside running

#16 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hi Ape!

It is good to hear from you. Please let us know how you're doing. Much support and :hug: from TheEquuswoman...

#17 thatstheoldme

thatstheoldme

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

I lift weights twice a day three times per week.

God Bless

#19 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

I so agree with the get up and get moving thing, this moment, fishinghat! I jst gotta decide how hard to push myself. Sometimes it feels good just to get daily chores, errands and cooking done! Oh happy medium, where are you????  Hugs to all on this gloomy day in the south!!!! Trying to have sunny thoughts!!!! clara ;) :hug:

#20 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

I found a happy medium once, but had to stop seeing her because every time she looked at my palm she laughed. lol

#21 lovemy3girls

lovemy3girls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • why_joining:
    Needing support coming off this horrible med!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

I am going to commit to 15 minutes on the treadmill a day. I feel that this would help me significantly.. Especially with the anxiety and self esteem!

#22 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yay, lovemy3!!!!!!!!!! I had a dear Christian counselor tell me....."baby steps"!!!!!  Pat on the back to you!!!! clara :rolleyes:

#23 sarahnz

sarahnz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

The research literature shows that around 80% of those who withdraw from Cymbalta do NOT have any withdrawal. My previous pdoc (currently retired after 30 years) confirms that that is about the rate she has seen. I personally know 2 people who have quit with no symptoms. we are just part of the 'lucky" ones. lol

Interesting to see where thsi research comes from. As a psychology researcher myself I have looked for this 'research' and have not found it. It appears that most of the studies that have 'negative' research are not published (and don't have to be).

Additionally what I have found is that arounf 45% of patients who withdrawal from this drug have negative effects, whereas the rest have no obvious symptoms.

If you have this research it would be great to share it.

Thank you

Sarah

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Interesting to see where thsi research comes from. As a psychology researcher myself I have looked for this 'research' and have not found it. It appears that most of the studies that have 'negative' research are not published (and don't have to be).

Additionally what I have found is that arounf 45% of patients who withdrawal from this drug have negative effects, whereas the rest have no obvious symptoms.

If you have this research it would be great to share it.

Thank you

Sarah

I will find that for you later today. And by the way welcome to the site.

#25 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Sarah

Welcome.

Have you encountered anyone who has completely recovered from the Cymbalta experience with no residual artifacts whatsoever?

#26 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Here is what I have found;

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=1828814

44.3% have withdrawal

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19337457

30% have withdrawal

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15912562/

0% serious(?) withdrawal events

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0801/p449.html

20% have withdrawal.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0801/p449.html

20%

#27 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Welcome, sarahnz! Your point that the negative findings don't have to be published is interesting....and I would imagine that any Eli Lilly funded research that turned out negative would have ended up in the trash immediately...

I also have seen the 45% stat re. those who experience withdrawal effects....I'll see if I can find the source and post it here....

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

This one states 45%!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ith agoraphobia.

I just found an article which studied the long lasting effect of ssri withdrawal symptoms. They noted that some of the psychological effects from the withdrawal lasted up to a year. Based on this research the WIki site states that "Most cases of discontinuation syndrome last between one and four weeks, but a substantial minority, perhaps up to 15% of users, have persistant withdrawal symptoms evident one year post withdrawal." UP TO A YEAR? FOR REAL? 15% is a lot of people

#29 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

FH, this info...both this journal article and the one you've just found but don't cite, need to be posted where more folks will see it...maybe start a new topic/forum?

I'm beyond angry...beyond sad....I just don't have the words to describe what I'm feeling and thinking about this....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users