cookie

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future I would like to stop cymbalta

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hello.....I quit Cymbalta 2 years ago. Weaned very slowly for several years, suffering many withdrawal symptoms. Then my doctor switched me to another antidepressant.

There is one withdrawal symptoms which I never recovered from: mood swings.

When I was tapering off of cymbalta, I started experiencing mood swings which never went away. I went from a depressed person to bipolar (that´s my new diagnosis by the way). I never fully accepted this new diagnosis, since I felt it was a withdrawal effect and not my real illness. But since it never went away, I am beginning to accept this is something permanent.

Now with the new antidepressant, I am not feeling much better than when I was taking cymbalta. So I don´t think it was worth quitting it. If I wanted to quit this one it also has withdrawal effects.

The important thing is to find the antidepressant that suits you best. Since they all have withdrawal effects, except for Prozac.

If you are planning to quit. It is important to know what you are going to do next. If you are replacing one antidepressant with another. And to inform you about benefits and risks with the new antidepressant.

Just thought about stopping by..... Hadn´t written in a long time

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Nice to meet you cookie. There is talk now in the research community that long term use of ssris may cause permanent changes to the neuroreceptors. This is being taken quite seriously with several research projects under way. Part of what spurred this is the large number of people who were prescribed cymbalt for pain, diabetic neuropathy, arthritis and many other non-psychiatric isuues. Sometimes the cymbalta worked on these issues and other times it did not. The amazing fact is that many who withdrew from the cymbalta were left with deep significant emotional problems, and remember, these are people with NO history of psychological problems. I think in the next 5 to 10 years our knowledge on these ssris will change a lot.

#3 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hello Cookie, and hi again fishinghat.

It is beginning to appear to me that nobody is getting out of this battle without a few permanent scars.  I am hearing more and more about symptoms that will remain perhaps for life. 

When one first engages that thought, it might seem depressing. But when I consider my world on Cymbalta and my world in Cymbalta withdrawal, I am vastly better off now even with a residual scar or two that I will take to my grave.

For me, it was death on Cymbalta or withdrawal. I withdrew with a few pieces missing and I am ecstatic! When you think about it, how could it be any other way? How could anyone struggle through this horrific Cymbalta nightmare and emerge completely untouched?

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Funny how people are different. Cymbalta worked perfectly on my anxiety. My mind was sharp and clear. For the first 4 years I didn't even have sexual side effects. Except for my fear and crying all my other withdrawal effects lasted only 4 weeks. Many many people on this site used small doses of prozac to help them but it did not work for me at all. And coming off of the lexapro, piece of cake compared to cymbalta. It is amazing how complex and different our bodies are.

But as far as going through this fish and not being effected, I am with you. It can certainly alter your reality.

#5 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

Hello.....I quit Cymbalta 2 years ago. Weaned very slowly for several years, suffering many withdrawal symptoms. Then my doctor switched me to another antidepressant.

There is one withdrawal symptoms which I never recovered from: mood swings.

When I was tapering off of cymbalta, I started experiencing mood swings which never went away. I went from a depressed person to bipolar (that´s my new diagnosis by the way). I never fully accepted this new diagnosis, since I felt it was a withdrawal effect and not my real illness. But since it never went away, I am beginning to accept this is something permanent.

Now with the new antidepressant, I am not feeling much better than when I was taking cymbalta. So I don´t think it was worth quitting it. If I wanted to quit this one it also has withdrawal effects.

The important thing is to find the antidepressant that suits you best. Since they all have withdrawal effects, except for Prozac.

If you are planning to quit. It is important to know what you are going to do next. If you are replacing one antidepressant with another. And to inform you about benefits and risks with the new antidepressant.

Just thought about stopping by..... Hadn´t written in a long time

Hi Cookie it's nice 2 meet U here. Thank you for sharing w/us. I am gradually weaning off Cymbalta by the bead counting method. The SE of Cymbalta was just 2 much for me. I was put on it for pain relief due to arthritis of my lower back. I am going toward my 3rd week of gradual decreasing the bead count. Prayers and support for you.  :hug:

#6 thatstheoldme

thatstheoldme

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

#7 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I c/t'd from 60mg in 2009. Went back on and started tapering. Spent the next 4 years trying to get off. It was very difficult. Finally stopped at 17 beads on Dec.4, 2013.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hi Cookie!  I've thought of you often, and wondered how you were doing.  We were tapering Cymbalta at the same time.

I'm sorry things have not worked out yet.  I really hope things will stabilize for you soon.  Believe it or not, I'm

still tapering.  I am down to 18 beads and hope to be off in the next few months.   It's really good to hear from you and

best of luck to you.

#8 navywife43

navywife43

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

I am 9 weeks off Cymbalta and I am still dealing with so much. I was put on Effexor while coming off Cymbalta...didn't work, now I am on Celexa and it is not working. I have so much nervousness and anxiety that I have been in bed for 5 days straight. No appetite and no desire to do anything. I am so ready to go back on Cymbalta and have my life back. Nothing can be worse than how I have felt these past 9 weeks!!!

#9 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Oh my navywife, Is it possible you came off Cymbalta too fast!?? I am fairly new to this forum and just a week now with no meds, Keep looking here.... equuswoman, fishinghat, and thismoment have lots of good info, insight, and loving support. Look for them and read their posts. It will help! We are all here for you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers, dear lady! clara :)  :hug:

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Natalie- First things first. Just do this; it's the only thing that is real. How the universe will unfold for you after Cymbalta will remain a mystery until the moment it unfolds. You can't go there now, and to go there in your imagination only hurts. Be kind to yourself-  you did not choose this situation, but you can affect how it unfolds.

#11 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

Navywife-  I empathize with you in your struggle over the past 9 weeks! 

Your health is all that matters! Maybe you should go back on Cymbalta, get level and stable and re-assess your future from a position of strength. You may wish to consider tapering off at a future time if you choose to- perhaps take 100 days to taper off.  But if the Cymbalta was working for you (as it does for many), then it's not a problem- get well!  I quit it because it was a problem for me.

This is only conversation from one human being to another; I can't advise. Talk to your medical people and your loved ones. I know your pain, and I am wishing a bright future for you!!

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Navywife, I am so sorry to hear you are still fighting it. 9 weeks is long enough time for you to be at least some better. Going back on an ssri may be your only option. I don't understand why the effexor sisn't work it has a very similar chemical profile as cymbalta. I am just guessing here, but if I was in that position I would start with lexapro. Looking at old posts of people who had to go back on an ssri, lexapro seemed to have a good outcome. Also, I am having pretty good success with zoloft.

#13 navywife43

navywife43

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind words...it means alot!! I called my primary care doctor and asked her to upped the dose of my celexa and she won't...she said I need to come in and be evaluated again. The last time I went in she specifically told me I needed to be seen by a physchiatrist because she was not sure what medication I should be on! Well I am calling today to try and get an appointment with a physchiatrist so they can get me on the right dose of medication for anxiety. Also, when I spoke to the physcology department the guy on the phone told me to stop the celexa! I asked him if he knew the side effects of stopping a medication like this and he said "there are no side effects when stopping a depression medicine, only when starting one"!!!! I said are you stupid...there are effects when stopping these meds!!!! It sounds like Lexapro may be the way to go for me...I have had many people tell me that they are taking it with no problems.

Happy Thanksgiving!! :)

#14 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words...it means alot!! I called my primary care doctor and asked her to upped the dose of my celexa and she won't...she said I need to come in and be evaluated again. The last time I went in she specifically told me I needed to be seen by a physchiatrist because she was not sure what medication I should be on! Well I am calling today to try and get an appointment with a physchiatrist so they can get me on the right dose of medication for anxiety. Also, when I spoke to the physcology department the guy on the phone told me to stop the celexa! I asked him if he knew the side effects of stopping a medication like this and he said "there are no side effects when stopping a depression medicine, only when starting one"!!!! I said are you stupid...there are effects when stopping these meds!!!! It sounds like Lexapro may be the way to go for me...I have had many people tell me that they are taking it with no problems.

Happy Thanksgiving!! :)

navywife will you be able to find out about the Lexapro after the holiday is over? Please keep  us updated on how UR doing. Continued love, support and prayers for you sweet lady! TheEquusWoman :hug:

#15 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Navywife-  I empathize with you in your struggle over the past 9 weeks! 

Your health is all that matters! Maybe you should go back on Cymbalta, get level and stable and re-assess your future from a position of strength. You may wish to consider tapering off at a future time if you choose to- perhaps take 100 days to taper off.  But if the Cymbalta was working for you (as it does for many), then it's not a problem- get well!  I quit it because it was a problem for me.

This is only conversation from one human being to another; I can't advise. Talk to your medical people and your loved ones. I know your pain, and I am wishing a bright future for you!!

thismoment I agree. As we are not physicians/psychiatrist/psychologist...we can only share our experiences with the others here on the forum. When I 'first' found this forum I saw "bead count'' listed in the topics and thought WTH is 'that' now I know it is the "only" way for me to get off Cymbalta. Thank you for being so very helpful to me as I go down this road....TheEquusWoman :hug:

#16 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Nice to meet you cookie. There is talk now in the research community that long term use of ssris may cause permanent changes to the neuroreceptors. This is being taken quite seriously with several research projects under way. Part of what spurred this is the large number of people who were prescribed cymbalt for pain, diabetic neuropathy, arthritis and many other non-psychiatric isuues. Sometimes the cymbalta worked on these issues and other times it did not. The amazing fact is that many who withdrew from the cymbalta were left with deep significant emotional problems, and remember, these are people with NO history of psychological problems. I think in the next 5 to 10 years our knowledge on these ssris will change a lot.

Gosh fishinghat. Even being on this drug for just 18 months...that is sorta scary :unsure:  but I will not allow it to stress me. Cuz I want off it badly. Thanks for your helpfullness to me! TheEquusWoman :hug:

#17 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

Oh my navywife, Is it possible you came off Cymbalta too fast!?? I am fairly new to this forum and just a week now with no meds, Keep looking here.... equuswoman, fishinghat, and thismoment have lots of good info, insight, and loving support. Look for them and read their posts. It will help! We are all here for you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers, dear lady! clara :)  :hug:

Clara you are such a helpful supportive person here on the withdrawal forum. Please keep us updated! Support, luv, prayers and  :hug:  for U from TheEquusWoman

#18 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi Cookie!  I've thought of you often, and wondered how you were doing.  We were tapering Cymbalta at the same time.

I'm sorry things have not worked out yet.  I really hope things will stabilize for you soon.  Believe it or not, I'm

still tapering.  I am down to 18 beads and hope to be off in the next few months.   It's really good to hear from you and

best of luck to you.

Nice 2 meet U Lundeliz: Please let us know how you're doing...Prayers & support for you! TheEquusWoman :hug:

#19 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Equuswoman- You sound strong and upbeat! How is it going? 

#20 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I c/t'd from 60mg in 2009. Went back on and started tapering. Spent the next 4 years trying to get off. It was very difficult. Finally stopped at 17 beads on Dec.4, 2013.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thank you, Equuswoman.  I'll be checking back in as I get closer to the end of my taper.  I'm taking it slow.  I

will appreciate your support very much!

#21 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Equuswoman- You sound strong and upbeat! How is it going? 

thismoment: I am doing quite well as far as the Cymbalta count goes. Down 50 beads thus far. However has a flare up of SI joint pain so much that it almost takes me down....don't know if the Cymbalta was helping that pain or not, maybe so but I have decided that I have to be OFF that medication.

I will make a visit to the chiropractor on Monday as this has helped in the past. One day at a time. One bead at a time. Thank so much for your support!! This forum is my help in so many ways! God bless TheEquusWoman :hug:

#22 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Thank you, Equuswoman.  I'll be checking back in as I get closer to the end of my taper.  I'm taking it slow.  I

will appreciate your support very much!

Support, understanding and compassion as you go down this road. Yes please let us know how you're doing. Prayers :hug:

#23 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Lundeliz, how are you doing? What dosage are you tapering from, and how are you tapering (how many beads, how often)? 

You will get through this. Best wishes!

#24 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hi thismoment.  I started my taper about four years ago at 60mg.  I hit a wall with my taper, and did a crossover to celexa in 2012.  I

was doing a slow taper off of that, and after a few months I had a bad reaction to the celexa.  I'm now back on Cymbalta at 18 beads.

I plan to try to taper one bead every week or ten days if I tolerate that.  If not, I will adjust my taper.  I still have a lot of side effects

from Cymbalta, and I find it very hard to dinstinguish the side effects from withdrawal.  To tell you the truth, I haven't felt stable in

a long time.  I've tried holding longer, but side effects get worse (mainly anxiety and nausea).  So I have proceeded with my slow

taper, and I'm just hoping for the best.  Thank you for asking, I really appreciate the support.

#25 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

Lundeliz, perhaps no withdrawal protocol will be symptom-free, and some measure of discomfort will have to be endured as you wean. It would be nice if you could get something benign from the doc to control your anxiety and nausea (the anxiety is a de-stabilizing force that tends to keep us reaching for the Cymbalta for security).

Stay strong! It will get better and better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users