31 replies to this topic

#1 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

I was prescribed Cymbalta for my fibromyalgia pain and have been on it for a few weeks short of a year. I've noticed over the last six months that I've been so withdrawn, uninterested in things that used to make me happy, doing and saying things without caring the consequences. Not only that, it wasn't helping with my pain. Thanks to a sudden lack of insurance I've had to quit cold turkey 4 days ago.

Thus far my biggest aggravation is the pulsating "brain zaps" every time I move my eyes. I feel a total lack of control over my body, as if I've taken a little too many pain pills and have that "high" sensation. My pain has worsened and the mood swings are horrendous. I find myself going from getting agitated over the slightest things to laughing hysterically over something others may only smirk at. 

People seem to have no comprehension as to how badly the withdrawal symptoms are, I don't feel like myself at all at the moment and these "brain zaps" are killing me, I can't stand that pulsating sensation. Anyone that's dealt with this issue, how long did it last for you? Thanks in advance! 

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Welcome. I am weaning off gradually. Haven't had any brain zaps 'yet'. But there are ppl here who can help you with this. Prayers for you. TheEquusWoman :hug:

#3 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Why thank you, I appreciate the reply  :)

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Why thank you, I appreciate the reply  :)

You are so welcome. I am grateful that I 'found' this support forum. So many here have gotten off this drug. Not without some difficulties but they have made it thru, and others on their way. Like us. Glad that you're here w/us... :hug:

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Momtoboys- Hello! Don't worry. You've got the dragon by the throat and you're going for a little ride! You will be alright, and soon you'll be riding the creature to a Red Wings game!

What dosage were you taking for the year?

You are not alone in this struggle.

The brain zaps. They may last several days (mine lasted 6 days), but I assure you they do pass. 

Cold Turkey is often a rough ride, though it varies from person to person. 

When weaning off (say reducing the dosage by 2% per day- finished in 50 days) the hurricane of Cymbalta withdrawal comes in stages- first the wind, then the rain, then the flying debris. But your hurricane arrived all at once, and I think that's how Cold Turkey goes.

I weaned off at about 2% per day, and my brain zaps showed up on day 19. Perhaps (though I don't know) with a slower reduction of say 1% (over 100 days), the brain zaps wouldn't even be part of the withdrawal.

When you were on the Cymbalta, you got to the stage where you didn't care, and your empathy for others was gone. That happened to me too and I became a Cymbalta Zombie.  I had to get off.

The out-of-body spooky high will go away too, as will the manic laughter.

MTB you can weather this storm C/T or you might consider weaning off. That would require going back on and then tapering off. A prescription of 25 caps would last 50 days reducing by 2% each day. You'd need 25 empty gel caps from the pharmacy or health food store.

I'm not advising, just discussing. 

All the best! You will get through this!

#6 Kindorf

Kindorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    To find out about Cymbalta withdraws. To give and receive support

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hi Momtoboys and welcome. I wanted to quit Cymbalta because I did not like the side affects. After all I read about withdraws from this poison and the bad symptoms I still chose to go cold turkey.

I know for me the only way would be to just do it and suffer the consequences. I started cold turkey on Feb. 23 and started the brain zaps almost right away.

Some of my symptoms have gotten better but not the brain zaps or nightmares yet.

From what I read it is different for everyone. This site is full of information and the people here are helpful and supportive.

Wish you well and hope your symptoms don't last to long.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

M2B- People reduce by counting the beads in the capsule. If the capsule has 300 beads, then 1% reduction is three beads per day over 100 days (3 beads taken out on day 1, 6 beads out on day 2, and 9 beads out on day 3 etc.). A 2% per-day reduction would be an increment of 6 out each day.

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Momtoboys, I did not go cold turkey but have seen a lot of posts on here of people who have. Most of them have the worse part of there withdrawals for about 6 to 8 weeks. By the 6th week you should start seeing breaks in the withdrawal. One thing you should know. Cymbalta is fat soluble and because of that it builds up in the liver and fat deposits. The reason I mention this is because as you withdraw from the cymbalta more will be released from the fat and liver. This can greatly extend the withdrawak symptoms. People have actually had detectable amounts of cymbalta in there blood up to 1 year after coming off the drug. These long term withdrawals are rare though and are estimated to occur in about 3% of the cases.

Hang in there and best wishs.

#9 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

What dosage were you taking for the year?

For the first month I was on 30mg per day, after the 30 days he put me on 60mg a day. Unfortunately I had no way to wean myself from this drug as I simply couldn't afford another months supply without insurance. It boggles my mind that it's over $200 for a mere 30 pills. 

The biggest issue I have with the pulsating brain zaps is it makes it so I can't function, and being a mom to four boys you kind of need to be on your toes all the time! I feel like I'm in a zombie state, I can sit and stare at the tv and not notice that a couple of hours have gone by. I honestly don't know where yesterday went, it seemed to zoom by so quickly. Luckily my mom has been helping me out when she can and my husband takes over once he's home from work which allows me to decompress in the bedroom a while. Everything seems so loud, so bright. It over stimulates my senses, ugh. 

#10 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

People have actually had detectable amounts of cymbalta in there blood up to 1 year after coming off the drug. These long term withdrawals are rare though and are estimated to occur in about 3% of the cases.

O.o greeeaaaat! 

#11 pepe64

pepe64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hello there,

I've been on the cymbalta for many years , albeit 'only' 60mg/day. (the blue green capsule, containing +-570 beads).

The brain zaps, mood swings, etc... are more or less common to all cymbalta quitters...According to my personal experience and research (I'm not a medical doctor), there is only one way to be relatively sure you won't suffer: Going SLOWLY is key.

I started removing beads in october, 2 beads extra each day. Today I removed 134, tomorrow I will remove 136. At this pace, it will take nearly 10 months to free myself from this poison. At the moment, I'm not suffering at all. I am nervous though, and still afraid the brain zaps will come to haunt me.

Sometimes I feel very satisfied though, thinking that I'm slowly but steadily beating the evil  witch Eli Lily.

Of course, if you can't afford to quit slowly and gradually, it's a different ball-game. I'd still at least consider investing in a slow way...

Anyway, I wish you (and all the other quitters here) the best of luck. It is great to know you're not the only one.

#12 thatstheoldme

thatstheoldme

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

#13 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hello there,

I've been on the cymbalta for many years , albeit 'only' 60mg/day. (the blue green capsule, containing +-570 beads).

The brain zaps, mood swings, etc... are more or less common to all cymbalta quitters...According to my personal experience and research (I'm not a medical doctor), there is only one way to be relatively sure you won't suffer: Going SLOWLY is key.

I started removing beads in october, 2 beads extra each day. Today I removed 134, tomorrow I will remove 136. At this pace, it will take nearly 10 months to free myself from this poison. At the moment, I'm not suffering at all. I am nervous though, and still afraid the brain zaps will come to haunt me.

Sometimes I feel very satisfied though, thinking that I'm slowly but steadily beating the evil  witch Eli Lily.

Of course, if you can't afford to quit slowly and gradually, it's a different ball-game. I'd still at least consider investing in a slow way...

Anyway, I wish you (and all the other quitters here) the best of luck. It is great to know you're not the only one.

Pepe64. Sounds like you are well on your way. I've decided that it doesn't matter how long it takes me I am going to be a Cymbalta 'quitter'....I 2 dread the brain zaps the most. But hopefully I may not have any as slowly as I am weaning down. Glad that you're here w/us. Let us know how you're doing. Nausea has a biggie for me mostly. But I am able to control that w/generic Zofran. Take care and prayers for you! :hug:

#14 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

I'm sure no doubt that is the best way, unfortunately it wasn't something I was able to do. I've found that hot baths help calm my stomach and reading helps distract my mind from everything I'm currently feeling. I'm also using medical marijuana to help control the symptoms. This morning (day 5) the brain zaps are less intense, I'm feeling just a tad more like myself. The nausea and other, errrmmm, stomach "issues" are still present though. Slowly but surely I suppose...

#15 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Oh, guess I'm not supposed to use that word...Whoops

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

MTB, I sure don't have a problem with you ising using that word. It is a real word in a real world. God knows that cymbalta is sure part of that real world for all of us right now. lol  To each their own. God Bless and good luck.

#17 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thank you, I was approved for it to help with my fibromyalgia that I've had for over 14 years. It's not pretty, I'm in constant pain all the time so I'm willing to try just about anything to get relief. Hence why I started Cymbalta :/

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

MTB, I check the medical abstracting services every few days for any new research on cymbalta. Now with the recent government shutdown the site has gotten behind. Now that they have caught up there are a bunch of new articles spouting the wonders of cymbalta!! One in particulare made me think of you MTB. It said that cymbalta was extremely effective on fibro and arthritis with little side effects. Now if you read back at previous research they site from 30 to 50% effectiveness for pain and fibro!! UGGG!!! Medicine is a crock.

#19 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

MTB, I check the medical abstracting services every few days for any new research on cymbalta. Now with the recent government shutdown the site has gotten behind. Now that they have caught up there are a bunch of new articles spouting the wonders of cymbalta!! One in particulare made me think of you MTB. It said that cymbalta was extremely effective on fibro and arthritis with little side effects. Now if you read back at previous research they site from 30 to 50% effectiveness for pain and fibro!! UGGG!!! Medicine is a crock.

Ha! If only that were true. Perhaps it is for some people though, we're kind of limited in medication when it comes to fibro. Then again I always get the short end of the stick when it comes to side effects, I get hit with them all the time. But hey, at least I'm not getting night terrors/hallucinations after coming off this medication like I did with the last one I came off of. *knock on wood*

#20 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

momtoboys, do what you need to do to take care of yourself and those precious kids and dear husband! We're all here for you! hugs, prayers, support coming your way!!! clara :hug:

#21 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

momtoboys, do what you need to do to take care of yourself and those precious kids and dear husband! We're all here for you! hugs, prayers, support coming your way!!! clara :hug:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your words! 

#22 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

M2B

Regarding itching from withdrawal, one could use topical creams and cortisone for short-term relief. Perhaps a from-the-inside approach might be something high in Omega-3 like Flaxseed oil.

All the best!

#23 Momtoboys

Momtoboys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

M2B

Regarding itching from withdrawal, one could use topical creams and cortisone for short-term relief. Perhaps a from-the-inside approach might be something high in Omega-3 like Flaxseed oil.

All the best!

Thank you, I'll look into that! I do have some cortisone cream but I will certainly look into the flaxseed oil :)

#24 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Hey Eli Lilly I made up a new word you might want to latch onto: ZOMBALTA

It's a combination of Zombie and Cymbalta. lol

#25 Donnaprashad

Donnaprashad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMontgomery Alabama
  • why_joining:
    I want help and support to get off this awful drug.

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Momtoboys - I plan on trying the natural herb you spoke of. Today I'm going to try that. I'm going cold turkey also and the brain zaps are crazy! Did the medical M help you?

#26 KennySilvers

KennySilvers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUsa Wa .
  • why_joining:
    At first , just to figure out what was going on . Now I like to visit the site more . And hopefully offer some friendly advice .

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Wow - I have Fibro too . So it's nice to know there's someone out there who has my problems . Sounds like fun huh? 

Just be careful with yourself ,  and keep a low profile . If you try to get back on Cymbalta - It may get worse .

I use a inversion table for the back pain . It works awesome . As does stretching . I got a safer substitute instead of Cymbalta .

People fall into this trap without the foresight of what will happen . Or could happen . I don't know if slowly reducing the

dose really helps . I guess it does , for some . John

#27 lucyrigby

lucyrigby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Day 4 as well and the brain zaps and nausea are so unbearable. :(

#28 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi Lucy.

Welcome! Is this day 4 of cold turkey?

#29 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Momtoboys

It's been 39 days since you launched cold turkey! How is it going?

#30 lucyrigby

lucyrigby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Yeah. Just stopped completely. I don't think it's working out too well, I get the same withdrawal effects from effexor and other antidepressants. Just.. hellish feels. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users