#1 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:39 AM

THIS IS TOXIC AND DANGEROUS!!

If your medical condition is a disease, then after taking the medication for a prescribed length of time, the disease is gone and you come off the medication. But not so with antipsychotics. These drugs mask the symptom and then generate a host of other symptoms that take your mind off the original symptom. It's like giving you a year's supply of painkillers for a broken arm and sending you home without setting the bones.

There's a reason physicians tell us we could be on this stuff for life. These drugs are symptom-generators, and we are locked in a kind of chemopsychotic-whack-a-mole game- when something new pops up you whack it with more chemical or you piggy-back with a different antipsychotic mole-whacker! 

Surely the long-term plan has to be to get off the drugs and assess the progress. Can it be true that physicians and psychiatrists are simply playing 'Hide-the-Symptom'?

The subject of drug-free assessment was never broached by my physician or my therapist. They were both happy with the fact that the original symptoms were hidden, but they did go on to discuss what other drugs might be considered to address the symptoms being generated by the first drug. 

But while the notion of withdrawal-followed-by-assessment was never raised, the possibility of me being on antidepressants for the rest of my life was mentioned more than once.

Indeed, it's an epidemic. And now the way is being prepared to start children on SSRIs.

GETTING OFF the drugs to assess the patient doesn't appear to be part of the plan (if there is a plan).

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

OMGosh....

Horrible IMO...

So sad, very sad indeed... :(

#3 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

Heartbreaking!!!!!!!!!! SSRIS and ADHD meds, just need to be put in the worst case shelf, IMHO!!! Our world is too dang medicated! God help us all!  clara ;)

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

Heartbreaking!!!!!!!!!! SSRIS and ADHD meds, just need to be put in the worst case shelf, IMHO!!! Our world is too dang medicated! God help us all!  clara ;)

Our one and only :hug: DD :hug: was diagnosed w/ADD w/LD at a very 'young' age. Placed on Ritalin. On this from age 6 ~ 11....then we stopped it. So glad that we did. She is now age 32 and has been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum. She is Aspurgers ... on just generic Vistaril for her social anxiety. this works very well for her. Of course in 1981 "they" didn't have a clue about our "Aspies".... we love her just the way she is. For  you see she is  just as God intended her 2 be!  :)

#5 KennySilvers

KennySilvers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationUsa Wa .
  • why_joining:
    At first , just to figure out what was going on . Now I like to visit the site more . And hopefully offer some friendly advice .

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

The thing is . Doctors do not know or understand how bad the drug is . And the TV Commercials don't help . I suspect the drug is too new .

I think that people will become more aware . Time tells no lies .

#6 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi KS.

The doctors have no strategy in place. Why do you think that is? I have a theory I'm working on.

#7 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Oh Ew, I just saw this and I am sooo sorry if I offended you!! I too 100% believe we are divinely created! Lord God please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!  Hugs dear friend, EW! clara

#8 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

If your medical condition is a disease, then after taking the medication for a prescribed length of time, the disease is gone and you come off the medication. But not so with antipsychotics. These drugs mask the symptom and then generate a host of other symptoms that take your mind off the original symptom. It's like giving you a year's supply of painkillers for a broken arm and sending you home without setting the bones.

There's a reason physicians tell us we could be on this stuff for life. These drugs are symptom-generators, and we are locked in a kind of chemopsychotic-whack-a-mole game- when something new pops up you whack it with more chemical or you piggy-back with a different antipsychotic mole-whacker! 

Surely the long-term plan has to be to get off the drugs and assess the progress. Can it be true that physicians and psychiatrists are simply playing 'Hide-the-Symptom'?

The subject of drug-free assessment was never broached by my physician or my therapist. They were both happy with the fact that the original symptoms were hidden, but they did go on to discuss what other drugs might be considered to address the symptoms being generated by the first drug. 

But while the notion of withdrawal-followed-by-assessment was never raised, the possibility of me being on antidepressants for the rest of my life was mentioned more than once.

Indeed, it's an epidemic. And now the way is being prepared to start children on SSRIs.

GETTING OFF the drugs to assess the patient doesn't appear to be part of the plan (if there is a plan).

This is the first time I saw this post...this is the point I was trying to make earlier.    There is an "epidemic" of symptom-hiding.  I believe that most of the time symptoms exist to help us find problems.  By treating the symptoms, the problems continue.   That can be a scary thing if (for example) whether the source of the symptom is physical, mental, or spiritual.   

#9 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I am sooo angry, confused, lost & hopeless from my experience of calling to arrange an appointment with a therapist!! First, I call MAP through my insurance company for a referral. That telephone call lasts 1 hr 10min because after explaining my need & discussing stopping the Crack! 6 wks ago, I am told I speaking to the Michigan office & they need to transfer me to the California office. UUURRRGHG:(((( then phone call is disconnected, no shit!, but then the California office called me back. So, I repeat my tale of woe with the most basic, elementary words & emotions I can muster because my brain is busted from the Cschit! and Ms. Sweetcheeks:( is confused why I need to see a therapist instead of a psychiatrist! WTF! After semi-losing my mind & starting to swear with my new found, post Crack! Overwhelming urge of swearing like I have Tourette's Syndrome, seriously, she questions if I might be better in a residential treatment program! Wtf, again?! Am I hearing this correctly? I hate myself for breaking down & crying but "I want to see a psychologist to discuss this new mental clarity but need to learn some new life skills for coping & managing the remaining ruins of long term SSNRI use!" "Hmmm, okay, I will send you a list of (4) within a 25 mile radius of where you live. Will that help you?" I respond kinda:s, "You bet, Cheeks, I thank you for your time & addressing my request."

Receive the email list. Look up the therapists that are referred, 2 male & 2 female, nice balance except I asked specifically for a female therapist after being asked about domestic violence issues as per the questions Cheeks told me she needed to ask, in confidentiality, per their company policies. I call the two female therapists and, of course get recorded messages for both. One is not taking new patients at this time, per her recorded message & the other is "temporarily unavailable" whatever the hell that means! So, I am now over the edge from this 'Positively Negative' (think I will start a new topic!) experience of the day unable to stop crying & take 1/2 Xanax as my 'worse half' comes home for lunch & is so pissed off at me for calling to get some therapy as "Surely, you should be past this by now, how f'ing crazy are you?!" I slither in to my bedroom & curl up in the fetal position and ponder his question and wonder the same damn thing!! My comfort was my two little dogs in the space between my chin & knees licking my tears & loving me unconditionally in my total f'dupness state of existence...

I'll make this last part shorter, as I know this is monotonous to read, sorry:/ I just need to vent & try to begin expressing my emotions instead of dwelling in the shame of this nightmare alone!

The therapist who's message stated she was not taking any new patients calls me! I was not able to leave a message on her voicemail as that wasn't an option in her recorded message! Weird right!? So, we talk for 45 minutes about my need for therapy, her need to make sure after the 6 free sessions, on my part, that ValueOptions will continue paying for treatment as I 'will most likely need it for a long, if not lifetime, because in her experience/understanding "no one is able to stop anti-depressants after having been on them for lengthy periods of time, i.e. 2 years or more & we will need to work together with my psychiatrist for an assessment plan, blah, blah blah." But, she agreed to "fit me in, though she is not accepting new patients" after I call insurance back to make sure they will continue to pay after the initial free six sessions & then text her with that confirmatio! True story, no shitschky!!

I really need some encouragement from my buddies here as I am sinking into my rabbit hole of despair!! I do not know what to do. Is there hope for all of us who have stopped the dope & just a select few over the long term discontinuation? Who in the medical community is willing to acknowledge, research and/or even listen to our cries for help beyond the anti-depressants??

Any shared experiences, ideas, thoughts or comments from anyone going through the resistance of the medical community in dealing with this would really help ease this worn out, way faring soul...thanks, Rebecca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users