Photo

How Long Does This Go On?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Ok.....really bad day. Just found myself sobbing because I don't have any potatoes! Ugh! I have been in bed all day trying to communicate with people and not show any signs.

Justbecause i have to fix dvry other word i type maybe they won nktice cause they dont jnderstand nywy!

#32 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Awww, Pheobster...

I know those crying jags are really awful - I had them often and they seemed to last about 3 months.  (I occasionally still get one if I read something sad or even if someone is extremely nice to me!)  For the most part, though, they will get fewer and fewer until finally you notice that you aren't crying any more.

Just one of those things that slowly fades...

Maybe the others you were trying to get in touch with don't understand, but you know that we all do!!  We get it and only want to help you.

Hang in there...you'll make it!! :)

P.S.  And potatoes aren't worth it anyway!

#33 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Sorry you are having one of those days Pheobster. Sounds a lot like how my day has been ;) Cryied a few times overnothing and I had no problem reading your last line because it is what my ytping looks like. and i can't spell on top oof that so I keep an extra tab open just to figure out how to spell everyother word, then I still entre it wrong!!

#34 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

At seven weeks you should be over the hump. Good job.

at seven weeks it would be nice to be over the hump and yes, i am sure that is the case for some but it isn't for all of us. while the physical symptoms disappeared at about 5-6 weeks for me, the anxiety remains. its actually worse now than at the the start of my withdrawal after stopping the "C". while i did a modified taper - down to every other day on 15 mgs, i took my last pill may 13. based on the half life the C should have been out of my system since june 1. i went from 90-60-30 in two years and then down to 15 mgs a day with zero symptoms, none whatsoever. considering i took my last pill 11 weeks ago, i don't think i have gotten "over the hump". no it is not overwhelming anxiety and fear 24/7, but it is that way most every night once the sun goes down. during the day its always there, although i can keep it in the background if i spend that time focusing on my breath and engaging in other "mindful" activities. i'd really like to be able to just relax and "be" without having to implement a strategy just to keep the anxiety down. i think i will get there, but i know that for some of us, getting over the hump will take longer. i have support. i have a therapist. i have cognitive skills on which to rely, but there is still a lot of work involved. i know i will get better but don't want to create an expectation other than to make it through another day and work towards reducing the severity. to be honest, i'd rather have the physical aches and pain, the gastro distress and dizziness that come with this withdrawal than this crippling anxiety. i'd even be willing to gain the weight i've lost since quitting and the higher cholesterol and high BP than this anxiety.

i think it is safe to say that our results will vary widely depending on other circumstances unique to us such as how long we have been on the C and other ssri's/snri's (especially on a continuous basis)  our metabolism, body chemistry, additional meds we're on, general physical health and other stressors in our lives. and if we are to believe dr. shipko... his articles and personal correspondence with me are even less encouraging. i prefer to learn from the experiences of others here on this forum which continues to give me hope, it will just come at my pace.

#35 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

brzghoff, I didn't mean to imply all would be well at this time but that you should be seeing some slow but consistent improvements. Like the disappearance of some of the physical symptoms. And at this stage many just continue, slowly, to see improvements in the psychological issues to the point they begin feeling human again by the end of the 3rd or early fourth month. But as you indicated not for all. I am one of those who did not continue to improve. I finally had to say enough is enough and wound up back on an ssri (Zoloft).

I am sorry you are still having such a hard time and with little signs of improvement. I sincerely hope that changes soon but you may also be one that has to say enough is enough and go to a strong benzo, clonidine or another ssri to get relief. Only you know when you reach that line in the sand. And your last paragraph was dead on. There are so many variables to this issue it is hard to anticipate what will happen next. In any case I seriously hope that your future is a bright one no matter what route you choose.

#36 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

I used to think that the "ultimate goal" was to get off all of these meds completely ... my own experience, over 8 months, has now changed that ... I still think that Cymbalta is an evil drug, and for most all of us here, it's been a good thing ... great accomplishment ... to get off it, and stay off it ... but I now believe, as FH, TM and others say, and have experienced, that some of us do continue to need to take another ssri, or benzos/clonidine/whatever ... the "goal" is to have a functioning life, with minimal/managed anxiety ... to be able to enjoy and participate in our lives .... and if some meds are needed to achieve that, so be it ...

What's frustrating is that it's so different and unique for each one of us ... how much struggle can we stand, and for how long ... what's our individual brain chemistry and what does it need, if anything, to keep itself balanced and running smoothly ... so many variables ...

There isn't any one "right" or "wrong" approach or answer ... just somehow discerning, tiny step by tiny step, what seems to work for us ... and, recognizing that it's okay to try something, find out it isn't working, and let go of it ... move on to try something else ...

Thank God for this forum, where we can come to share our experiences, successes, failures ... and laughter ... :wacko: :blink: :rolleyes:

#37 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Day 9 today!!!! Well, after such a horrible day yesterday so far this one is a relief sort of day. Even though the brain zaps and headache is there I was able to make, eat, and enjoy my breakfast!

Have bread in the bread machine, beans on the stove, and now back in bed by choice! The dogs and I are going to nap or read or both.

Have a dog obedience class this evening, the hubby is going to have to drive; dont trust my brain. The first day off of Cymbalta I literally didn't see a car that was right in front of me.....seriously I never saw it. Thank goodness my hubby did and hollered!

So far only one crying jag and I was able to redirect my thoughts to stop it. Oopps I thought that thought again...tears.

So..onon....moving on....weirdo dreams last night was disturbing to say the least but not waking up drowning in sweat was nice.

#38 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Well, took the nap but slept so long I missed my puppy's obedience class. Grrrrr...... Must have needed the sleep though, it is what it is, right?

I am finding myself without any, I mean any patience with people. I know this sounds so awful but I either want to scream at them or slap them. Hopefully that will ease up soon. I kind of remind myself lf a toddler.....if I want it I better get it and get it NOW kind of mentality.

It is hot flash hour - same time last night too. Dripping sweat - time to vet the cold wash cloth. Ahhhhhhhh, that is better.

Was up from 3:30p to now which is 8:30p. Not bad.

Hopefully tomorrow is as good as today!

#39 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

Pheobster ... yes, sleep is essential during this process .... sorry you missed the doggie obedience class, but glad you got the nap ... let yourself nap any and every time you can, for as long as you can  ... and hang in there with the sweats ... they do fade/pass ...

#40 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Day 10: Woke up with no headache! Having the usual multiple brain zaps but they didn't start until I had been up and out of bed for about 10 minutes. Progress!

Got my 64 oz of water in yesterday and will again today - gotta flush this system! Weight down a pound and literally doing nothing to burn calories. Which tells me while on Cymbalta causes water weight which also causes discomfort. Another negative about this drug.

Craving dairy and potatoes!!!! What is that all about??????? Breakfast done, lunch prepared so we can eat when we want, dinner from calzones made and frozen some time ago....bake to crisp and tah dah. Throw in leftover salad and - - - - dinner!

Going to rest/nap again today as I feel like it truly helped toward making two mornings in a row be hopeful that there is light at the end of this tunnel! Beginning to feel a bit worn out already but I can deal with that since I have been out of bed for 2 1/2 hours and even during this post.

I hope this post makes sense cause I feel like I have simply been emptying my head of random thoughts.

#41 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Day 10 and you're craving food ... and cooking food ... wow ... at day 10 I was crawling to the bathroom and puking food ... awesome progress Phoebster!

#42 Tinker

Tinker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:37 AM

Hi pheobster. I am really enjoying reading your posts. It's good to hear that your making some good progress 😊

#43 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hi Phoebster

I'm impressed with the level of your activity!  

I know the dreams can be spooky and vivid, but they fade with time. Hang in there!

#44 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Peobster...

So happy for your progress!  I send my best wishes for your continued success!

Hugs,

Liz :hug:

#45 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

TFL

Good luck on your trip! 

August 3 is the last day of Seafair Fleet Week in Seattle- lots of cool Navy ships. For nice views of Seattle visit Kerry Park; maybe walk through the Washington Park Arboretum for a peaceful infusion of garden delights. Also Pike Place Market (Farmer's Market) is one of the oldest on the west coast, and is a delight to walk though.

Be true to yourself and all will be well. Safe flight!

#46 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

TM...

Out of "likes" already, but thank you for your wishes! 

I have been to Seattle several times since that is where my oldest son lives, but have not yet seen his new house that he moved into a year ago June!  I love Pike's Market and hope to get there again.  We only have 3 days and he has to work some, so don't know how much we can do.  Don't know if he is even aware of the Ships, but would love to see! 

Was also going to check out Sr. Living Apartments that I saw on my last visit.  Don't know about the weather with the arthritis, tho!

I will also get to see my granddogs - 2 Portugese Water Dogs that I love! :P

I will try to drag this laptop with me if I can manage the weight in my carry-on.

Love you all on this forum,

Liz :hug:

#47 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

TFL, good point about how much a laptop would add to your carry on weight... and your ease of carrying the carry on .... Maybe you can "coax" your sons to chip in to buy you an iPad like Gail's daughter just got her ... they are so lightweight and easy to carry around ... until I needed to use my big ol' laptop for the job search, I used nothing but the ipad ...

oooh.... grand-pups to play with! (Did you decide to board your pooches, or are you having someone come in to take care of them at home while you're gone?)

#48 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

FiveNotions, I have to say that without this group and the honest posts, I would have caved. I would have my head in the bowl too. I have went at this with support and head knowledge.....still having nasty symptoms but knowing they are just that 'symptoms' I can push through. Oh and I. Am a caterer so cooking makes me feel good even if it is something from my freezer...lol!

Tinker, thank you for the encouragement. I enjoy posting. It seems to help me keep things in perspective.

TryinginFL, Thank you so much - wow that was a loud brain zap - enjoy your trip and do get a tablet!!!!

Day 11: Never did 'have' to go to bed. I was able to pull some weeds in my courtyard and that made me feel so good. I have always been a type A .... go go go do do do so this whole 'have' to be in bed has been awful. Even though I spent most of my time yesterday in my camping recliner reading, lying down, but at least it was outside!

Wow - my brain zaps are loud sometimes. Anyone else? Having tons of them this am, ugh!

Since we are headed out of town for my sons birthday I am going to take it super easy today. I am not wanting to upset this fragile balance I have had the last two days.

My eyes are driving me crazy! They feel like they are jerking around and they are dry then watery. Oh and my nails are so dry you can see it. I have always had nice nails and suddenly they are nasty! Any ideas??

My thoughts today seem to be at a normal pace and not all manic like. Yesterday, I could not slow them down...wish I had a recording of them, it would prove to be entertaining. A cross between Robin Williams on drugs and Bill Cosby.

Headache is back but at a low rumble. I can deal with that. I sure will be glad when not every sound hurt my being. Guess I shouldn't complain as I am doing pretty well really but OMG......when the hubby out away the silverware I thought I would scream and then for sure my ears were going to explode and I would be deaf!

More of those bizarre dreams. Have a movie going in every night in my head! No sweats before bed just during my sleep.

Still can't drive cause the zaps make me so dizzy and I kind of check out for a second. Hubby noticed it and told me no way was I driving anywhere. Much to my own surprise, I didn't cry, or think he was being mean, or even argue. Haha....that was bizarre in itself since those are all things I have been doing like a crazy woman since I went off of the Cymbalta!

This may be wishful thinking but I am thinking (translation:hoping) the worst of the withdrawals are past.

#49 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:00 AM

Day 11 con't...

Lots of brain zaps!! I had to nap today but it sure felt good. Had to ride a hour in the car into busy traffic and thought I had went insane. It took me several minutes (after hitting my hand on my head several times) to even be able to get out of the car. Once inside my sons I got the shakes. We told him and bless his heart he was so worried! We let him know this was actually better this week and this was my first outing.

It did get better and we ended up having a wonderful evening despite my brain zaps, dizziness, and extreme thirst. Thank goodness for naps!

#50 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Officially 12 days now without the Cymbalta!!!

Woke up with a horrible headache and some confusion. Laid there for a few minutes while my brain began its slow journey to turning back on after relaxing while I was dreaming all night. Once up out of bed the nausea hit. So yucky! Once I had some breakfast, I started feeling better. I even put on makeup last night and again today.

Dreams last night where one consecutive story. Vivid and wild but mostly funny. This time it was the wedding plans all gone awry. Blue jelly type sandals with straps, purple long sleeve ruffled shirts and these horrible skirts that didn't match but I never saw a color. Such weirdo stuff, we dont even have a wedding coming up.

The drive home was no fun just like the drive last night. The movement of the car and everyone bustling about and it is all so loud! I am home now and want to stay right here for a bit!

Overall, the withdrawal symptoms are getting easier and shorter while they are happening. Even the sweats and zaps. I am having some little involuntary muscle movement that is a bit concerning. I am thinking a nap is in store. Still need a baked potato! Don't understand the cravings at all - milk, water, and potatoes.

Going to start researching some good health options and natural ways to treat my fibro now. Noticed a thread here I will start with.

#51 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Day 13 and it sucks!!!!!!

I slept ok and am kind of used to the bizzarrioooo dreams. My GSD decided to jump on me to wake me up....said a very bad word....I know she meant well but not the way to start my morning.

Walked into the living room, forgetting to get my coffee, and when I turned around to head toward the kitchen I sneezed. Sounds harmless right? NOT! That sneeze threw my ,lower back out so badly I am in excruciating pain. My left leg doesn't want to work right and OMG just try getting onto the toilet seat to potty! So I guess either the couch or the bed for me again today. Urgh!

Got breakfast made, ever so slowly, forgot to cook the sausage - brain on fart mode - but it finally came together. Once I ate the nausea bit and hit hard. This was the first time I wasn't sure if I could keep my food down, generally even if nauseated I am strong stomached.

The brain zaps are less today and not so loud so tat is a positive. Those zaps can be so disruptive to life.

Tinnitus has set in. Not super loud but enough to be another irritant.

And I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open! But then again when you are having a crying jag I guess it doesn't matter if your eyes are closed, right?

I am sure (the logical side of me speaking) that this is just another phase of the healing process. A deeper step into healing even more of my brain and body.

Just so sick of it all! BTW - if I should be posting these dailies somewhere else please let me know. I promise I won't be offended - I might cry but I do that over everything...lol.

#52 Amybc7

Amybc7

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

P - I love reading your updates!  

I'm still in the process of tapering.  Forever.  It feels like forever.  I know....deep inside....that even though I'm going so turtle slow it's what makes sense for me.  That other voice keeps popping in urging me to go faster and complaining about how long it takes.

Your posts help so much.  It's almost a check and balance for me.  At the end of June I was still achy everywhere!  My legs wouldn't work right and I was falling and hurting so much.  That hasn't happened in weeks.  Success!

The driving!  I remember being so afraid to drive in early June.  I haven't thought about that in weeks.

Yes.  I'm still counting those annoying little beads - and I'm reducing them soooooooooooo slowly.......but I'm doing okay (today...hahaha).  Thank you for giving me hope....and know that your sharing is helping others.....and we're here.  So very here.

#53 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Amybc7,

If I could have titrated off the Cymbalta that would be the best way. Even if it took a year or more. We are only given one body to wreck and going cold turkey really sends it into a horrific downward spin. I kind of had no choice and maybe for me it was best. Not recommended as my mentors from here will tell you, fishinghat and thismoment, and others. Be patient with yourself and go as slowly a you need!

I have had those horrible horrible randoms body aches as well. They seem to be getting less and less on most days. It is long row to hoe for sure. I have come close to falling, seems more often in the shower than any other time. More whole body movement?

The motion of driving is what I am concerned about. Walking is sometimes difficult and I know my reaction time is slower than normal. So we will try a down the street drive and go from there.

I am so glad my dailies have reached out and helped. That is what I am hoping for. The road is a long one but we will not loose the way. Some days are good and some not. I cried my way through most of today but had less physical irritation. Trade off? Just another step in the healing, maybe? I don't mean to sound trite really but baby steps for anyone healing from this medication!!!!

Tomorrow is a new day...and another day off of the drug that was supposed to 'help' me!

#54 Guest_Pheobster_*

Guest_Pheobster_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Fishinghat.....having a good day today. Thank you for always encouraging.

Was just telling my husband that if I had not found this site and read so many of the threads I would have thought I was simply forever sinking in a drowning pool of insanity! Thank you all.

#55 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Pheobster, so glad that you are here with us. Had I not found this forum 10 months ago I have no idea what would have become of me.

It was the ppl here who gave me encouragement and taught me how to bead count. I am forever grateful to them for that!

Prayers from TheEquusWoman

#56 Blackbird

Blackbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

Saw Neurologist 1 month ago or so.  I explained that symptoms I'm having  started when I stopped Cymbalta.  He totally disagreed with me.   Some docs are so arrogant!  He also took a sample of my handwriting.  Then said it was small.  He wanted to test me for Parkinson's.   Well, my handwriting has always been the same size.  Don't you think he'd ask me? I know that smaller handwriting is a symptom of Parkinson's,  but I would know if my writing has changed, and would mention it.

#57 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Blackbird, some drs know everything! Didn't you know that?  (Sarcastically) Idiot drs!!!

#58 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

FH....

Sure like your post as well!  I just stopped seeing one of those PCPs!!

#59 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

Next time, when he writes you an Rx, look at it thoughtfully, then look up at him and say .... hmm, based on this sample of your handwriting, I think we'd better get you tested for "jackassery" ... it's a very serious and debilitating condition in many medical professionals ... incurable, but the symptoms can be managed nicely with .... Cymbalta! ... :P

#60 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:06 AM

FN....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :D :lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users