God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

It's very difficult for me to talk about this, because i feel embarrassed and ashamed that I, who always took care of myself (and a few others at times), can't continue to do so...I have told only one person, my dearest friend, that I may need to file for disability. He's very supportive, and told me to also get medicaid and food stamps...but I just can't bring myself to do so....it feels like admitting that I'm a failure.... I was raised poor but proud -- never ever take "handouts" from anyone, especially the government...

I feel safe and understood amongst this group of wonderful people on this site,so I've screwed up my courage to ask for your thoughts and suggestions. At almost 61, this battle with cymbalta is taking everything I've got....mental, physical, emotional and financial (living off savings since last June).....

Chime in y'all, please!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

I went on disabilty when I had my original nervous breakdown in 2002 at age of 50!! I felt bad that at that age I wasn't working. I had always been a workaholic. Unluckily there was no choice. I was on 2 benzos, one ssri, betablocker, alpha-agonist, buspar and seroquel and only felt slightly better. I obviously have come a long way since then. Having said that, I never felt bad about taking ssdi money. When I was working I pain in a lot more social security per month than I am drawing per month now. It was either do that or eat dirt. You have to take care of yourself and your family the best you can.

One last note, with most psychological disabiilty they stipulate you can NOT work ANY AT ALL for extra income, you  must keep every receipt for every thing you spend money on so as to account for all the ssdi money you make and you must choose a 'caretaker' who is responsible for keeping the receipt records and handling your finances. The checks will be sent to that caretaker.

If you have any questions just let me know.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Oh Lord....caretaker....keep receipts....i'm going to have to pray about this for sure....

Thank you very much FH for this information...about ssdi and about your personal situation.... I'm sure I'll want to check with you again ...

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

It's very difficult for me to talk about this, because i feel embarrassed and ashamed that I, who always took care of myself (and a few others at times), can't continue to do so...I have told only one person, my dearest friend, that I may need to file for disability. He's very supportive, and told me to also get medicaid and food stamps...but I just can't bring myself to do so....it feels like admitting that I'm a failure.... I was raised poor but proud -- never ever take "handouts" from anyone, especially the government...
I feel safe and understood amongst this group of wonderful people on this site,so I've screwed up my courage to ask for your thoughts and suggestions. At almost 61, this battle with cymbalta is taking everything I've got....mental, physical, emotional and financial (living off savings since last June).....
Chime in y'all, please!

FiveNotions. .Listen to your words...YOU HAVE WORKED ALL THIS TIME TILL 60 YRS OLD!..You have earned this SSDI and whatever else you are eligible for from county, state, or government. .You have paid into these for years..Like Fishinghat states below..Take it...you paid into it...You need to take what you paid for..DO NOT feel embarrassed. .ever, ever, ever, ever..You start taking care of you now..It's your time. You go right down and apply for any and every assistance you are eligible for right now. ..You can always get off these assistance programs if you choose to work once you feel better..OR stay on assistance until you qualify for Social Security...Please understand that we understand. .God Bless you..

#5 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To get help and support and to be a help and support.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

Honey, go for it. Your 61! You have paid your taxes to help others, get some help for you!

I went on a pension after my husband died, I couldn't cope with life let alone a job!!

So long as you are not going to hide away and let everything overwhelm you and turn you into a hermit, take some you time and let your fellow man hold the tab for a while.

Chin up kiddo xo

#6 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:47 AM

Five don't give it any further 2nd thought's -- What handout's Pleaseee-- our gov't make it very difficult for everyone who well qualify for benefit's to get them. Soc Sec disability is back logged so get your paperwork filed right away.  Most likely you will be denied the 1st time -hence another year long wait -you may even have to use an advocacy lawyer service if you get denied.  The most important person you will need through the entire process is a Dr and past and future documentation. I work in health care and every day am told sad stories of benefit denials.   

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Thank you all for helping me work through and accept this...I'll start moving forward with the ssdi process tomorrow ....and will come back here to share/vent!

#8 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

FiveNotions, I am in 100% agreement with all the others! Go for it, get what you need and deserve and have worked for! No shame, absolutely no shame in it!!!!!!!!! Keep us updated and rant, vent whatever!!!!!!!!! We support you dear!!! Prayers and cyber hugs for you!!!!   clara :hug:

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

A few questions for FishingHat, posting it rather than a PM in case others will find the info helpful....

Did you have an attorney do the whole process, start to finish, or did you apply on your own?

If you used an attorney at what point did he/she get involved?

Were statements from your employer(s) necessary?

Did you have to collect all of the medical documentation yourself, or did your docs and/ or attorney do this?

Did you have to appeal or have an in person hearing?

How long was it between your initial application and approval/first check?

Do you have to "re certify" periodically?

If an ssdi recipient recovers sufficiently to return to work, is that permissible?

Note: I feel like a dope for asking these questions....as a former lawyer and recent research librarian I shld be able to work through this myself, but I find myself remarkably "frozen" when facing this....

#10 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I did have a lawyer through out the case. A big benefit.

The lawyer was immediately involved and filed the original request for SSDI. Very seldom does the SS admin have a hearing with the first application. And normally the first application is denied. The lawyer will then file an appeal and request a court hearing.

No employers statements are needed. Just medical testimony. Your drs will testify as to your medical and psychological condition. There are (if I remember right) 6 different 'axis" that are assigned values. The SS admin has there own vocational therapist who will provide the code for these axis based on your medical records. Your psychologist will do the same. The judge will listen to all sides, including your testimony and make a decision usually within 90 days.

Usually it takes 1 to 2 years from the first application to the final decision and then another 2 to 4 months to your first check. You will receive a back pay check to cover the time period from when the court decides you became disabled MINUS 6 months. You do NOT get SSDI for the first six months you were disabled.

SS admin has the right to request a new hearing on your disability if they feel it is justified. This is very rare.

The SS admin is always happy when they are notified that the person is capable of working and has returned to gainful employment. Of course the checks stop coming. lol

I last thing to be aware of, In the majority of psychological disability the court will ask the person to choose a 'caretaker'. This can be yoour spouse, son/daughter etc. They are responsible for all contacts with the SS Admin on your behalf. All checks come to their attention. And worst of all every penny of you ssdi must be accounted for each year. You can claim half of the food expenses for the nousehold (if there are only 2 adults), half of the personnel care items, taxes and a few other things. You can not claim vehicle expenses. You can claim all of the expenses for your home, legal fees, and no more than 4% of your check may be spent on entertainment. You must have receipts for each of these items. My house is full of boxes of receipts! No kidding.

Usually the lawyers here do not get paid until you win your case then they get 25% of your back pay check.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Oh, FishingHat you are wonderful! Thank you!

I contacted two ssdi firms this afternoon, and this info will help me be ready to speak with whoever calls me from each firm.

However, based on what you said about how long it takes for approval (or denial), I think it's more likely that I'm going to need to focus on getting myself patched up and able to go back to work even part time, and even at a job other than what I'm trained for....I don't have the ability to support myself for that long a time....no husband, children, etc.....unless I can put my cats to work... ;-)

Thank God I found this site ... I am so grateful for each and every one of you!

#12 zainab

zainab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationkansas
  • why_joining:
    discovering life after cymbalta & wellbutrin.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

i do not have a lot of experience with ssdi but do with medicaid, medicare, and food stamps...i used to work for medicare, have had a lot of family members on medicaid (they did not expand it in my state so i'm not eligible), and have received food stamps in the past. if you need any help with the medicaid or food stamp process let me know!

i can relate - i was also raised poor but proud. but...and you may not see things the same way if your political views are different...i believe we all pay in to help each other and food stamps are one of those things that is there to help if you need it. i cannot even put into words the kind of relief i felt knowing i had that extra little bit of help when i was otherwise going hungry, especially now that a lot of food banks have started to create barriers to access. you need nourishment to give you strength to deal with other parts of your struggle - ssdi application process, withdrawal, getting to the doctor, etc. etc. and food stamp requirements in most states are pretty strict - if you qualify for food stamps, chances are you NEED the help. it's also a relatively short process compared to other forms of aid. anything that will take some of the weight and worry off your shoulders is worth it.

also if anyone is looking at marketplace insurance plans and wants help - medicare & marketplace are both managed by the same contractor (whom i worked for) and so i am familiar with navigating both if anyone is having trouble with applying or getting care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users