• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kconnor

kconnor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi. My doc just recently reduced my cymbalta from 60mg to 30. Today is day 11 and it is horrible. I went to work and barely made it thru the day. Im nauseated to the point i can only handle a couple crackers at a time and thats it. My stomach is in knots and i just want it to stop. One minute i want to fight and the next im crying. I cant get warm. I have been on cymbalta for 8 years and had no clue about the withdraws. I thought i had the flu until the last couple days when i found all this information. I see my doc in the morning. I really want off this medication but this is more than i ever anticipated....

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Only one way to do it kconnor. Bead counting. I don't think you need to go all the way back to 60 mg though. Take and count all the beads inside a 60 mg tablet and remove 25% of them. That will give you a 45 mg capsule. Take that until you stabilize. Once stable remove 2 or 3 more beads each day. If the withdrawal gets too bad go back up a couple beads and stay there til stable then start back down at a slower rate. Just listen to your body. It will be a lot smother this way and a lot easier on you. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Try Ginger for the nausea...fresh ginger is best...just smell it or, if you can stand the strong taste...nibble on a tiny bit...or, get the candied ginger that some health food shops sell...and, in a pinch, just get the ginger out of your spice rack...make tea with a tbsp or more in a mug of hot water....at my most desperate, I've just put some I the palm of my hand and licked it....

And yes, that reduction is too steep...it's too much for your nervous system to handle all at once...try the bead counting...I went of cold turkey cuz I had to (lost insurance blah blah blah)... But I wouldn't do it that way if I didn't have to....

All that you're describing is due to the cymbalta withdrawal...I was on it 8 or 9 yrs...and none of my docs told me anything except I'd need to stay on it for life...utter BS...and then when I quit, the doc didn't believe me when I told him I was having withdrawal effects...more BS....

Let us know how your doc appointment goes!

#4 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hi. My doc just recently reduced my cymbalta from 60mg to 30. Today is day 11 and it is horrible. I went to work and barely made it thru the day. Im nauseated to the point i can only handle a couple crackers at a time and thats it. My stomach is in knots and i just want it to stop. One minute i want to fight and the next im crying. I cant get warm. I have been on cymbalta for 8 years and had no clue about the withdraws. I thought i had the flu until the last couple days when i found all this information. I see my doc in the morning. I really want off this medication but this is more than i ever anticipated....

Bead counting is the ONLY way I will ever be FREE of this nasty drug. I am glad that you found this forum. I was on 60 mg daily for almost 2 years and the 60mg contains 200 beads. I am now taking 28 beads tonight. The ppl here will help you thru this. Prayers & hope for you. This is a difficult journey but together we can make it thru. TheEquusWoman :hug:

#5 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Try Ginger for the nausea...fresh ginger is best...just smell it or, if you can stand the strong taste...nibble on a tiny bit...or, get the candied ginger that some health food shops sell...and, in a pinch, just get the ginger out of your spice rack...make tea with a tbsp or more in a mug of hot water....at my most desperate, I've just put some I the palm of my hand and licked it....

And yes, that reduction is too steep...it's too much for your nervous system to handle all at once...try the bead counting...I went of cold turkey cuz I had to (lost insurance blah blah blah)... But I wouldn't do it that way if I didn't have to....

All that you're describing is due to the cymbalta withdrawal...I was on it 8 or 9 yrs...and none of my docs told me anything except I'd need to stay on it for life...utter BS...and then when I quit, the doc didn't believe me when I told him I was having withdrawal effects...more BS....

Let us know how your doc appointment goes!

FiveNotions I agree with you 100% that it was BS.... :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users