#1 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To get help and support and to be a help and support.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Has anyone else had major fluid retention since quitting?
Is this a standard symptom or do I need to see a Dr?
Have not dropped a single ounce of weight and I know it's fluid because I feel all tight and puffy.I am 3wks off Crapbalta.

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Yes fluid retention can be a symptom of Cymbalta. I know that when I was coming off of it per my pain physician's instructions I had horrid fluid retention. However there could be others things that cause this as well. If you have other medical conditions such as high blood pressure or heart problems would be a good idea to let your physician be aware of this. Let us know how you're doing. HTH TheEquusWoman

#3 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To get help and support and to be a help and support.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

I'm healthy as a horse, so it has to be part of the withdrawal. Thanks equus, maybe id I exercise I can sweat it out. I'm so uncomfortable!! I havn't been this tight, swollen and puffy since pregnancy!

#4 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

I'm feeling this as well. I feel very bloated and my clothes are extra tight on the stomach area.

#5 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'm feeling this as well. I feel very bloated and my clothes are extra tight on the stomach area.

OMG37...I do believe this is a common side effect of cymbalta withdrawl. .Although if you have other medical issues like BP or heat issues..It would be in your best interest to check with your physician. .

Welcome to the forum....

#6 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yes, certainly a s/e, my doctor put me on a fluid tablet for a couple of weeks & it helped but didn't get rid of it completely. I can't even wear my wedding ring ATM & my feet look like puffer fish ha ha ..have to laugh or I would cry & my appearance .Crapalta has changed my looks completely ..

#7 Mollymoo

Mollymoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I've just posted to ask if anyone was experiencing weight gain. I didn't understand why my stomach was so big. So now I'm thinking it could be water retention also!
So... What do we do?

#8 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTaichung, Taiwan ROC
  • why_joining:
    For support in dealing with Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Mollymoo, boy, I sure did. 80 lbs. Did lose 22 lbs though over the last 6 months, primarily by going total Paleo diet. I expect I'll get rid of the remaining 58lbs after my body is completely Cymbalta-free, and by continued good nutrition and exercise. I think unfortunately, until this poison is completely out of our bodies, losing the Cymbalta weight is gonna be more of an uphill battle than it would be to try to lose it as if we'd never touched Cymbalta ever in our lives. But I know it can be done with determination and persistent healthy choices about what we put into our bodies. We cannot give up, and we gotta be patient with ourselves as we move through these transitions. Hang in there - you're not alone!

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Time for me to join in on this one....during the first month off the drug I lost about 20 or a bit more pounds....however, during the past few weeks I've put it back on...almost all of it anyway....and I feel bloated like I've never felt before....it's a wonder I don't slosh when I walk!

I'm going to try the water and lemon thing ....

#10 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:29 AM

This is a question for all of you who've had fluid retention to contend with post-Cymbalta cessation: How are you all doing on that? 3-4 weeks since we posted on this subject, so I was wondering if this has improved for anyone yet?

Generally, I'm an optimistic person but this one has me feeling REALLY discouraged. Maybe it seems trivial when compared to some of the other horrible symptoms people here have/ are suffering, but this one seems to be impacting me the most because of how it's affecting my bones and joints, let alone my self-esteem. Not only am I in pain, but I look ugly and my clothes are getting tight. I haven't even been able to exercise the last few weeks, so I feel even more like I've lost control of myself.

So what I'd really like to know is: Does the fluid retention ever disappear or am I stuck with it forever, and I just need to get used to it? As I've said before in other posts, my fluid retention isn't merely having swollen feet, hands, and ankles - it's edema of my entire body that began since quitting Cymbalta almost 6 weeks ago. I didn't have the edema to any degree when I was taking Cymbalta, and I have no history of heart/blood pressure issues. So I just. Don't. Get it...

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Xiaojie. .I'm sorry I'm not able to help you out with experiencing any fluid retention myself..Although if I might add something natural to help release water from your body in a natural way is to add a slice of fresh lemon in your drinking water..It is a natural diuretic. .I'm hoping others will soon chime in and with more of the information you are searching for..Best of luck to you..

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Natural diuretics include:

• Apple cedar vinegar- it regulates the level of potassium in the body
  • Artichoke- it is a potential source of Vitamin C, fiber, magnesium and folate
  • Asparagus- it contains asparigine, an alkaloid that boosts the level of kidney performance. This accelerates the speed of removing wastes from the body
  • Beets- they attack the fatty deposits in the body
  • Black currants- they have been found to contain a high level of potassium. This helps to cure those suffering from rheumatism and high blood pressure
  • Brussels sprouts- it cleans the cell and then stimulates the pancreas and kidneys to perform its functions
  • Cabbages- they have a superb diuretic property of breaking up the fatty deposits in the body, more so the abdominal region
  • Carrots- they have carotene which speeds up the body metabolic rate and also increase the speed of removal of wastes and fatty deposits in the body
  • Cucumber- it stimulates the kidney to perform its functions such as the faster removal of uric acid in the body
  • Cranberry juice- it basically helps in the removal of excess fluids in the body
  • Dandelion- it has multiple benefits such as providing relief from diabetes, urinary disorders, liver disorders, acne, jaundice, anemia and cancer. It also assists in the detoxification of the urinary tract
  • Green tea- with some level of caffeine, green tea has numerous diuretic properties since its ancient use by the Chinese several thousands of years ago being a stimulant
  • Garlic- it has a powerful natural diuretic property of helping the body to break down fat
  • Fennel- among the several health benefits it has, fennel has great diuretic properties for treating blood and urine. It also treats hypertension as well
  • Horseradish- it eliminates excess fluids in the body and also speeds up the metabolism process
  • Lettuce- its diuretic properties include flushing out of toxins and a better body metabolism process
  • Nettle- it has superb diuretic properties such as the breakdown of the arthritis crystals and other diuretic properties
  • Oats- they contain, a powerful natural diuretic
  • Pumpkins- with a proportion of about 90 percent water and a very level of carbohydrates, they destroy large amounts of water content in the body
  • Tomatoes-they are extremely rich in vitamin C, a mineral that helps to accelerate the metabolic process and also the release of water from the kidney
  • Watermelons- they increase the level of urination
  • Yarrow- this herb can be used to make tea which helps you to sweat more when it is hot and also helps you to release more urine when it is cold. This is one of the most powerful natural diuretics

Cranberrys and garlic seem to work the best.

#13 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Wow, Thanks FH! That's a great list. Many of these I eat regularly, but you listed a bunch I hadn't tried but I will. I'm gonna see if I can find Yarrow somewhere on this island. Thank you thank you!!

#14 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

Carleeta, thank you! Yes, I knew about Lemon water, and use it daily. But I seem to require an industrial-strength diuretic. The TCM formula I'm on supposedly has one in it, but it's painfully slow to work... I think there's just no fast way to solve my fluid retention issue. Maybe it's just too massive. Heck, I'm becoming too massive, lol.

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

You are very welcome X. I just hope one of these helps.

Best wishes.

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Amazing..... I just googled "cranberry garlic recipes" for the heck of it..... Thought I'd find something humorously atrocious....but these sound pretty yummy....

http://www.tastespot...-chutney-recipe

http://www.oceanspra...ic-Risotto.aspx

And, Brussels sprouts/garlic/cranberries....

http://solidgoldeats...roasted-garlic/

Or, cabbage/cranberries/garlic.....

http://justbento.com...erries-balsamic

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Xiaojie, could the fluid retention be connected to the diabetes? The meds are you taking for it? Has anything changed in that regard?

Another thought.... are you getting enough potassium? Potassium and sodium in the correct balance? Eating any food or taking any meds that mess with that? (A number of those foods on FH's list mention potassium...)

I think patience and perseverance are key here.... TCM isn't the quick fix that western medicine promises.... Its purpose is to balance and heal "for the long haul" ..... We westerners have been brainwashed into expecting immediate results, I think.....

#18 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Sounds like good stuff, FN. Gonna be exploring these, too. Thanks!

Have any of you heard of a guy named James Harper and his "the Road Back" program, centering around balancing the JNK gene? Most of the steps he mentioned, I've already been doing for 8 months. The only step I've not done is buy his supplements - something called JNK capsules, which supposedly have a bunch of vitamins in them that are supposed to support your body in terms of weathering the withdrawal symptoms. I sense a scam... So I'm wondering what you guys may know about this guy or the program?

#19 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Well, Harper is a Scientologist .....So, as a Catholic, I will have nothing to do with him.... The revenues from the supplements go to fund the "church" of scientology..... I believe it is a scam... In the sense that it's a way to lure unsuspecting people into Scientology....

I reviewed everything about the program I could find, including the website, and didn't see anything there that I had t already learned on my own....and I saw no reason to pay lots of money for his supplements when I know that there are no magic pills or fixes.... On the other hand, it seems that quite a few people say they've been helped by the program....

You've got an excellent TCM practitioner.... What does dr Liu say about the program and the supplements?

Just a caution....don't try to spead up recovery by mixing two programs...TCM and Harper's, etc.....

#20 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Good to know FN. Thank you. Well, I have no intention of mixing programs TCM is what I've committed to. I was looking online for info. about discontinuation syndrome and fluid retention because mine is so out of control, and I ran across his website. Smelled fishy, so I asked more out of curiosity than anything else. Dr. Liu doesn't know anything about that program, so couldn't comment. I don't think she keeps up on western stuff like that, especially since his website is in English, rather than Chinese.

#21 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:23 PM

Sounds like good stuff, FN. Gonna be exploring these, too. Thanks!

Have any of you heard of a guy named James Harper and his "the Road Back" program, centering around balancing the JNK gene? Most of the steps he mentioned, I've already been doing for 8 months. The only step I've not done is buy his supplements - something called JNK capsules, which supposedly have a bunch of vitamins in them that are supposed to support your body in terms of weathering the withdrawal symptoms. I sense a scam... So I'm wondering what you guys may know about this guy or the program?

Here is a couple reviews on "the Road Back" and the last one is a copy of the book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Back-Drugs-Safely/product-reviews/097703450X

http://www.brainreference.com/the-road-back/

http://www.theroadba...rg/workbook.htm

A copy of the book is available here.

#22 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Fishinghat. ..Glad you posted the Road Back for Xiaojie. .Yes it's free online and you found it..yippee...

Xiaojie. .Glad you are already using the lemon in water..And it's true with apple cider vinegar too (which help burns some fat cells also)..I use the apple cider vinegar on my Iceberg lettuce daily...

Sound like the TC is fling wonderful for you...This is great news..I believe in 'if it works, don't change it'..
As far as the fluid retention, all I can offer is "when did the fluid retention start? AND what did you do (add or omit) differently from the day prior?...This will narrow down if it's something you changed vs a change in your body occurring by other means..

We'll figure it out! And keep you informed....

#23 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hi Carleeta - the fluid retention began between 1-2 weeks after I stopped Cybalta cold turkey, and proceeded to become worse ever since. I didn't do anything different other than that. I'd already changed my diet to Paleo 7 months prior to stopping Cymbalta, so I doubt my dietary changes had anything to do with it. I'm convinced the fluid retention is connected to my stopping Cymbalta. But knowing that does nothing to help me figure out what to do about it, unfortunately.

I've been reading about the benefits of taurine, and plan to ask Dr Liu what she thinks about it. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the herbs in the formula she gave contained taurine. If so, no need for a taurine supplement.

FH, thanks the "Road Back" info. Not gonna change anything I'm currently doing because much of what the book suggests, I'm doing. But I'm not buying their supplements. I think I'm just gonna continue the herb/nutrition route, and use food as my vitamin source. Only exception would be is if there was something I couldn't get from food. Then I'd consider a supplement.

#24 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi Xiaojie. .Yes I was thinking maybe it could be one of your supplements causing this retention..Definitely check with your dr if one of the herbs contain taurine. .Since this started when you stopped cymbalta and we're on the paleo diet prior to stopping..I'm certain your meats and fish are not processed..Although I know for me any fish whether it be fresh or canned has a tendency to make me retain water..Therefore I eat fish only 3 to four times a week...I'm also certain you don't have a dairy intolerance, because that to will cause water retention...I'm thinking it might be one of the herbs...

Although, I know everything you are taking is definitely healthy and very beneficial for your cymbalta withdrawl symptoms..We need to find what can help you release this overbearing fluid retention...As Fishinghat did post some natural food which can aid in this reduction, besides my lemon post (lol lol)..

I'm just very concerned at the way you are stating the abundance of this fluid..If it is not going away at all and progressing, please have it checked out...I say this because your body has gone through some big changes with stopping cymbalta, and combating other complications with infection..So play it safe with a dr advice on this issue, especially if you do find out there is no taurine in your
supplements and herbs...I'm hoping it's something simple like taurine in your system..We all need to read every label these days..lol lol....my thoughts and prayers are with you...please keep us posted...

#25 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Xiaojie

I'm with you. Surely by now we know what a 'balanced' diet is, and I would argue that the Paleolithic Diet qualifies very well.

By all means consult your withdrawal-savvy physician regarding your water retention.

Obviously many of us consume too much salt, too much bad fat, and too many calories in general. And it's pretty easy to determine what our appropriate weight is. And we all know that in general, if we're overweight (not just water), we're eating too much.

The VMS Industry (vitamin/mineral/supplement) is a $50 Billion industry with very little science to prove its claims. I don't buy any.

The most powerful element (but unmentioned) in The Road Back is TIME (that's the one thing they don't charge for). I think if you eat appropriate volumes of a balanced diet, and put in the TIME, you will do fine with your withdrawal. Save your money and use it to upgrade your fruit and vegetables to 'organic', and take a nice vacation.

The Road Back could easily be viewed as another VMS scam, preying upon the fears and vulnerability of those folks suffering through withdrawal. Personally, I wouldn't go near it!!

There is plenty of evidence that the water-retention is related to Cymbalta and withdrawal. Check with the doc that your water-retention isn't something serious. Then, hopefully it will go away with all the other withdrawal symptoms after a period of time.

#26 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

This is a question for all of you who've had fluid retention to contend with post-Cymbalta cessation: How are you all doing on that? 3-4 weeks since we posted on this subject, so I was wondering if this has improved for anyone yet?
Generally, I'm an optimistic person but this one has me feeling REALLY discouraged. Maybe it seems trivial when compared to some of the other horrible symptoms people here have/ are suffering, but this one seems to be impacting me the most because of how it's affecting my bones and joints, let alone my self-esteem. Not only am I in pain, but I look ugly and my clothes are getting tight. I haven't even been able to exercise the last few weeks, so I feel even more like I've lost control of myself.
So what I'd really like to know is: Does the fluid retention ever disappear or am I stuck with it forever, and I just need to get used to it? As I've said before in other posts, my fluid retention isn't merely having swollen feet, hands, and ankles - it's edema of my entire body that began since quitting Cymbalta almost 6 weeks ago. I didn't have the edema to any degree when I was taking Cymbalta, and I have no history of heart/blood pressure issues. So I just. Don't. Get it...

Xiaojie... I'm like you, I haven't lost a single kg since I ceased the Cymbalta & I can't even wear my wedding rings . I hate how I'm looking & it just adds to the stress of the s/e's. I know how you feel when your clothes don't fit anymore . I hate my husband looking @ me ATM .
I have never had a weight problem until I started taking the Cymbalta, I thought it would decrease when I stopped but it is just as bad.
I even started the gym & watch everything I eat but nothing seems to work ...eeeekkkkk make it stop !..:-(

#27 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

Xiaojie, have you had your kidney function checked recently? Could this be related to one of your other health conditions, e.g., the MRSA?

I'm starting to get worried about this being something other than our buddy crapalta......

#28 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone. :) Maybe I haven't been very clear, though. I am not and have not taken ANY supplements, but was considering asking my Dr if she thinks taking a taurine supplement may be beneficial, unless it's already contained in the herb formula she's given me. From what I have read, taurine is naturally contained in meat and fish, but only small amounts, and research has shown it to be beneficial to liver function, as it has been shown to break down the fat deposits in the liver and aid in detox.

As for the "Road Back" stuff, I have no intention of doing that program or buying their supplements. I was just asking about it out of curiousity.

I've already discussed my fluid retention issues with my Dr from the beginning and she is trying to remedy that with the herbs, but that is working very very slowly so far. And I'm impatient to get rid of this fluid ASAP because of how uncomfortable I've been. The problem is NOT the herbs. The fluid retention began after stopping Cymbalta but before taking the herbs, yet has continued after taking them. I'm already closely monitoring what I eat, and I didn't change my diet after stopping Cymbalta. I continued eating Paleo diet, which as I mentioned, I've been on continuously for 8 months.

But FN, you may have a point, a possible kidney issue is something I hadn't thought of. I think I will do as you suggest and get that checked out.

Everybody thanks for your input. I'm touched by your caring so much! Makes me feel less alone in this fight. :)

#29 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Ok, it's end of my day and I feel reeeeeally bad. Came home from work, ate a little and crawled into bed. I want my mother!!!!! (As crappy as I feel I haven't lost my sense of humor, lol) I feel Ike I have the flu, but I KNOW it's not flu. My whole body aches (bones and joints) and I'm quite chilled. Fingernail are blue-ish. Had a few of those 'brain-shivers' (not zaps), too, tonight. Abdominal pain, too. Like severe menstrual cramps, but can't be that because nothing's been happening in that department for the last 10 years, or so. No bleeding. (My apologies to the men in this forum for TMI . Just close your eyes and pretend you didn't read those last sentences). I didn't want to take acetaminophen, but I had to. I worry about that too because I read last night that it can impair your liver function. But how much does one have to take to impair ones liver??? My eyes hurt tonight. I wish I knew how to fix me. I know I'm doing many good things to help myself (TCM, Paleo, etc), but is it enough? Is there something more I could do? My head hurts, too, so I think I'm just gonna try to sleep...

#30 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Oh Xiaojie, I wish I could come right over there and give you a big hug, put you to bed, and take care of you....I wish I could make it all better with a snap of my fingers! I'm praying for you....we all care so much about you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users