• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sr1313

sr1313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:28 PM

This man prescribed Cymbalta to me when I was 17 as if he was prescribing a z-pack for a bacterial infection...casually, no extra warnings, with a "This oughtta take care of it" attitude. I wish I had never started down this path...I would have rather managed my anxiety with benzos than take a drug that's so difficult to get off of.

Not only angry at him, but at every stupid Cymbalta commercial I see on TV. They are legally required to tell you about every tiny possible side effect, but they don't tell you this drug will permanently alter your brain chemistry and will feel like you are withdrawing from heroin when you try to quit.

Just ranting...jaded and upset at the pharmaceutical companies, doctors, and the dangerous weapons they casually employ.

#2 poisoned

poisoned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'd like to share my experiences regarding this awful drug and the resultant side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:05 PM

I feel you on this one. I simply suggested the drug after doing some research, as the previous drug I had been on for MDD had caused me to have a seizure (Effexor XR). Doc just wrote me a script and sent me out. He seemed to think that Valium was far more dangerous than this drug which has rendered me unable to work, play, or otherwise be productive/enjoy my life. I am now seeing a doctor who seems genuinely worried about me, which is both refreshing and concerning (I've never seen a doc lose that poker face!) As a result I feel that my current condition is very much my fault--after all, if I hadn't suggested it I wouldn't be suffering.

He was 15 minutes late to each appointment (would schedule them for a certain time, and each time I'd sit in the waiting room for almost exactly 15 minutes) and tended to shuffle me out 15 minutes early, so he was getting paid for an hour's work while only working half. Wish I could get away with that crap. Also didn't return a call for expedited care on the day of my suicide attempt until six hours later, while his voicemail claimed that the doctors "check their messages often". Not often enough, I still had to go through the ER and incurred the related charges, so now I'm literally in hock, selling books and DVDs to pay off medical bills. I can't wait to see how much the week-long inpatient stay is going to be, which is just what a psychiatric patient needs to be worrying about while trying to get well, right? Blah.

And screw those commercials! Nothing pisses me off more than advertisements for pharmaceuticals. If cigarette ads are illegal, drug commercials and ads should be also. I see Cymbalta everywhere I look and just keep getting angrier.

It's good to rant, and honestly, it's good to be jaded. Ask questions, don't trust pharmaceutical companies as far as you can throw them, feel free to give your doctor the third degree. Any doctor who truly cares about you will not be offended at the fact that you are being an advocate for yourself. An informed consumer (and yes, unfortunately, we are consumers moreso than patients when it comes to this) is more often a happier consumer. Your anger is NOT displaced, and your doctor should be ashamed.

#3 missy

missy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    i am withdrawing from Cymbalta

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

sr1313-

I am with you re: anger at tv commercials for Cymbalta. Now, I just use the mute button on the remote and find I feel better!
Hope that idea helps!

I am sorry that you have had such a hard time with your Dr. and treatment. It is so important to find a doctor you like...meaning that he/she actually listens and knows what they are doing. I hope that you will find a better doctor soon to deal with your problems. Talk therapy suggested? I hope so...it is much more helpful than drugs many times. I have done both but not at the same time.

Keep on looking out for yourself and questioning the "routine". Hang in there.
Missy

#4 nursedeborah

nursedeborah

God-like

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am reallly trying to get off Cymbalta, and not having, well I am having nightmares even with the decreased does, and clanging in my head.

I just found this site, and I really need help, I can't do this, I fear I willl never get off this brutal medication.

Deboreah Wesson

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

I saw that commercial yesterday too and holy crap, I died a little inside.

Jen,
I love the way you said that. I know just how you feel. I think it was on Sat Night Live that
they did a sketch on that commercial, so this at least is getting media attention!!!

Debbie

#5 Junior

Junior

Like a Family Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • why_joining:
    I am a sufferer of depression and GAD.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

I still can't believe that the US allows these meds to be advertised. FFS they are powerful drugs that actually alter the way the brain functions. They are not lollies that you buy over the counter :)

All you guys need to move to Australia. Our health system is far more affordable and the only drugs that are advertised are mild analgesics.

See you all here in Melbourne in the New Year :D :angry:

Junior

#6 Ms_M

Ms_M

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • why_joining:
    Am currently going through withdrawals.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Just had to comment on the Cymbalta commercials... they are not on any more/less, but I am more aware of them. If the TV in my living room was not virtually brand new - I swear I'd throw something through it!! :blink:

I am definitely frustrated with my dr, too. I was going in once a month to be sure my Lamictal doses were on track. He took me off Cymbalta (which was our plan all along), but is having me come in at 3 months. Am I the only that thinks that is completely ludicrous (sp?)?? I have complained about being able to get through to him, too. Assuming I don't have to go in sooner - by camping out at his office - he's going to get an earful come July!

Edited by Ms_M, 26 May 2010 - 07:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users