#31 clearglass

clearglass

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGreater Philadelphia Area
  • why_joining:
    I joined for support coming and staying off Cymbalta. Also joined to hopefully offer support to others.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Hello EquusWoman,  I have had pain in my lower back for several weeks. Last week I started feeling a pain in my leg; it’s like a vein in about to burst. Both are getting worse, so I searched our forum for advice.  I am so sorry you are in pain. We are very close to ending our toxic relationship with Cymbalta.  You encourage me more than you will ever know.  My last day stands: Saturday, March 22nd.  God has brought us this far and will continue to see us through.

All of us.

clearglass

#32 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hello EquusWoman,  I have had pain in my lower back for several weeks. Last week I started feeling a pain in my leg; it’s like a vein in about to burst. Both are getting worse, so I searched our forum for advice.  I am so sorry you are in pain. We are very close to ending our toxic relationship with Cymbalta.  You encourage me more than you will ever know.  My last day stands: Saturday, March 22nd.  God has brought us this far and will continue to see us through.

All of us.

clearglass

Oh wow, clearglass,

It is with tears in my eyes that I read your post. This is why I plan to stay on the forum even after I've finished with this poison.

Yes we are indeed very close to the end of this scary journey.

I am sad that you are experiencing pain. I have lived with pain since the age of 4 years due to a hip disease. Legg~Calves~Perthes disease. This has resulted in my having 3 total hip replacements. All being the right hip. I was given this nasty drug to "help" me with the pain of my lower back resulting from severe arthritis.

I couldn't endure the SE of this drug thus began my weaning off after being on it for approx. 2 years. I am so glad to be near the end.

Thank you for your kind words. You are in my thoughts and prayers as we continue this journey to freedom!

We will make it, we will help each other!

LoveTheEquusWoman

#33 FreeSoon

FreeSoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

How are you doing with going back to work, Xiaojie?  Are your aches and pains getting better?  I hear your dilemma with the hot baths - would a heating pad help at all?  I know when I was working I would race home and lay down with my heating pad.  I was happier to see it than I was to see my husband :0.

Keep us posted.  I am thinking good thoughts and sending them East for you!

#34 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTaichung, Taiwan ROC
  • why_joining:
    For support in dealing with Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:49 AM

Hi FreeSoon - I had a VERY rough couple of days when I first got home from the hospital. Horrible mood swings between angry outbursts and tears. I experienced my first panic attack, and through it all the aching bones have been constant. Went back to work on Thursday and was so miserable with nausea, bouts of dizziness, and fatigue. But managed to pretend I was fine to students and colleagues. But on my way home that night I went to see a Dr of Chinese medicine who came highly recommended. She read my pulse, and before I even had a chance to tell her why I had come to her, she told me all the symptoms I was having. She goes, "Your body has been very tired and sick for a long time, that's why you are sick. It cannot support you. You're back, knees and joints hurt a lot?" I nodded. "Your stomach feel sick all the time?" I nodded. "You in the bathroom a lot. Bad stool." I nodded, and then began to tell her about the Cymbalta cessation, and she's all, "I know." Hahaha! The herbs she formulated for me are for the withdrawal symptoms and to clean my liver, specifically. They come in powder form which I have to mix with a little hot water and drink 3 times a day for a week. Then I go back and see her again every 7 days, and she determines from reading my pulse whether or not she needs to re formulate my herbs, and adjust them accordingly. Today is my third day on the herbs. I feel GREAT compared to 3 days ago. Haven't had mood swings for three days. Feel like my usual optimistic self, only this time, without Cymbalta or any other drug in my body. As for the bone aches, they are still there but much more tolerable and don't keep me awake. In fact, I've been sleeping really well since going on the herbs - big relief. I haven't even had to resort to taking melatonin for the first time in almost a year. I don't know what specific herbs this Dr has been giving me, or I'd share that info with everyone in here. I'm sure she'd tell me what they were if I asked her, but she'd only be able to give me their Chinese names, so I don't know how helpful that'd be. I do taste strong ginger in the powders, but that's the only one I recognize. I'm sure she included that one for my nausea, which was quite severe and constant. Now, not so much unless I don't eat on time. And going the herbal route here is super inexpensive ($7 USD a week for the office visit which includes the herbs).

I'm now beginning week 4 post-Cymbalta. Third day on herbs. I am absolutely rejoicing in having three good days without feeling completely nutty and too sick to function. May it continue...

FreeSoon, thank you for your support, concern, and thoughts/prayers. How are you feeling these days? Yes, the heating pad is still my best buddy, lol. :)

#35 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

There you have it, the great ROC also has affordable healthcare! So glad you are better Xiaijoe! Kp. Us posted! :-)

#36 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

That's wonderful news, Xiaojie ! Please keep us informed about this treatment and how you're feeling....it's very encouraging....I think I've located a chinese herb store in our china town here in DC....I'm going to make a visit this week....not surprisingly, it doesn't have a website/internet presence ;-)

#37 sodone61

sodone61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • why_joining:
    Support and encouragement to discontinue duloxetine, which sounds like a town on Shrek

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

EquusWoman - We have much in common.  I had my first hip replacement at age 17 after it was broken and never healed right at age 11.  I was in a car that was hit head on by a drunk driver.  I have had five total hip replacements since.  I take Suboxone for pain.  Initially I thought that was what was causing my drowsiness and lethargy so I went about tapering off of that.  I realized that I had complained to doctors since a month or two after taking this poison (crapalta) of the lack of energy and motivation.  So I researched both meds and decided to get off the Crap first so that the other medication could help with my Crap withdrawal.  I already have some of my energy back but I'm in pain, paresthesia is very intense (body zaps) and I sleep a lot (with a nightmare included with each nap.. very disturbing!).  This could go on for many moons but the Subs are pretty much a cake walk compared to this stuff.  So I'm going to address that after I get through this.  In fact, I may stay on the subs - as small a dose as possible - due to the chronic pain.  So we do have many thingsin common and I'm so glad you're here.  I am grateful for every other person too.  We seem like a body with each person having a special talent or role.  thanks for being so open and being  you.  Pam

#38 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

FiveNotions, you have been on my mind all day today. So to put myself out of my misery (just kidding) I did a bit of research for you about CMDs (Chinese Medical Doctors) in your area, that have the appropriate credentials to practice TCM Pulse Diagnostics and other such treatment modalities. Got some good info for ya, and here's the link:

http://chinesedoctor...Columbia&page=1

This is a list of CMDs in your area with their CVs and synopsis of what they do, contact info and websites. At least two on the list are female. Of the two, one is quite famous and lectures at western medical schools all over the US, GWU in particular - Dr. Mengda Shu. You should check out her bio and website - just click on any of the names on the list to bring up their details.

Another great day on the herbs, feeling, calm but energetic - but very much myself again. Bones still ache constantly but I'm able to tolerate it without so much as even reaching for the acetaminophen. Yippee!!!

Thanks for your continued support, everyone!! Appreciate all of you guys so much!!

#39 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Xiaojie. You are lucky. My wife occasionally travels to LA to get some chinese medicine for her back pain. Arouns $700 just for the medicine. I think the only reason it helps her back is because her purse is so much lighter. lol

#40 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

AHAHAHAHAHA, Fishinghat!!! You're so funny! Wow. $700 is really out-of-control prices though, sadly. Taiwanese government healthcare program makes having multiple health issues affordable and patients debt-free, thank goodness. ^^

#41 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Xiaojie ....hmmm...how's the job market there for research librarians? Maybe I shld emigrate.....

#42 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

No politics intended, however I am really hopeful the ACA (Affordable care act/ Obama Care) reigns in the costs. But alas, what may be an improvement in costs for some is not for ppl like FiveNotions--who's healthcare costs have risen since the ACA...I hear your pain.

I would retire if it weren't for the cost of paying for health insurance. I have worked for >30 yrs. fulltime, at times with multiple jobs, in a field that is unforgiving in many ways. I have stood witness to too much suffering and yeah I'm tired. Is it the Crapalta talking?? :wacko:

Bottom line, no pun intended, should be a goal of not making a profit out of the suffering of ppl. (or animals). How will we, in the US, ever get to this point,  when healthcare is 33% of our GDP?????

#43 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Xiaojie,  what do you and ppl. around you think about medical marijuana? Is this against the law in the ROC? Several states in the US have made it legal not only for medicinal reasons, a few have made it legal for recreation purposes as well. Texas is not among those states and I have no personal experience here (only as a teenager in the recreation dept. :)).

My very dear friend's father had end stage lung CA (in 1995) and nothing worked for his nausea. His kids commandeered some MJ and it relieved his nausea and vomiting without sedating him.

#44 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hi Xman - Well I personally don't have a problem with the idea of medical MJ at all. As far as Taiwan though - forget it. Medical MJ is not available here at this time, but who's to say it won't be in the future? MJ is illegal here and carries strict penalties for possession and use, i.e., mandatory jail time - 7 years or more, and of course trafficking and growing it in commercial quantities carries the death penalty. Doesn't mean people here don't use it, however. They just make sure to not be caught, I guess. I don't and never have used it. But I would totally advocate the use of it medicinally for patients, such as in the case of your friend's father, where it to be legalized.

#45 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

I am having a break from my insane mood swings, but now experiencing tremendous pain in both my arms.
I have started journaling during this withdrawal in order to try and see if there is some cycle to it and to see how high and low it gets. Some of the things I have written scare the crap out of me. I have not experienced such hatred, anger, depression, hopelessness, and frustration in my life.
If my family ever got their hands on this book they would never speak to me again. They are not supportive of my condition anyway, so the things I have written about them are beyond horrid.
I do think it has helped me to have somewhere to put these thoughts and has kept me at times from saying them directly to someone and causing damage to relationships.
I don't know how long this break from raging and crying will last. Right now my brain feels like cardboard. But for those of you experiencing outbursts and overreactions you're not alone. I am afraid to go out in public right now for fear I will get into a fight with some stranger over nothing.

Hang in there. Yes I have experienced some of those feelings as well. The good thing is that they do pass.

Glad that you are here on the forum. We will all get thru this Cymbalta hell together. Some of us take a little longer

but in the end it's worth it. TC TheEquusWomean :hug:

#46 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

You know there is something I just don't understand. All the concern about the dangers of pot and yet we need medical marijuana. Why don't the drs prescribe thc (the active ingredient in pot) for cancer patients, etc. As far as I know only optomitrists use it for glaucoma.

#47 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

I am stunned by the death penalty in terms of growing MJ in ROC. We Americans are so naïve...well I DO try to keep up with life outside the US but still it is a shift in thinking. If I am correct, New Mexico physicians rx MJ for Fibromyalgia and many other chronic pain related disease and conditions. For years they have known it was one of the only things that improved glaucoma--and then the phramcos came up w/a ton of eye drops

to reduce the pressure...  

#48 FreeSoon

FreeSoon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

xiaojie, I am so glad that you found something to help you!  That is wonderful!  So interesting to hear about eastern medicine and how different it is.  I do think the whole MJ debate is quite interesting.  Personally, it is not for me - Ultram helps me more.  

Interestingly, I went to the gynecologist for my annual exam last week.  She recommended the Essure method of permanent contraception for women.  I looked it up on the web this morning and found a forum very similar to this one with women who have had horrendous S/E from it.  Unbelievable.  I even asked her if there were any S/Es and she said NO!!  Next step...get new gynecologist!

Keep hanging in there!

:rolleyes:

#49 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

xiaojie, I am so glad that you found something to help you!  That is wonderful!  So interesting to hear about eastern medicine and how different it is.  I do think the whole MJ debate is quite interesting.  Personally, it is not for me - Ultram helps me more.  

Interestingly, I went to the gynecologist for my annual exam last week.  She recommended the Essure method of permanent contraception for women.  I looked it up on the web this morning and found a forum very similar to this one with women who have had horrendous S/E from it.  Unbelievable.  I even asked her if there were any S/Es and she said NO!!  Next step...get new gynecologist!

Keep hanging in there!

:rolleyes:

oh my gosh! Yes a new gyno is just what I'd be looking for. Speaking of which I have appointment with my gyno for routine yearly check up. Having had a total hyst w/removal of both ovaries I am going to ask 'why' the need for a yearly pap smear...

Anyhow I am glad that we can talk of any and everything here on the forum! Let me know what you find out. We must be advocates for ourselves and our health care.

TC of you,

TheEquusWoman :hug:

#50 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thanks, FreeSoon. In my 3rd week on TCM, many of my Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms have vanished, thankfully. The two stubborn ones I'm still contending with are the fluid retention and weight gain, both of which cause my bones and joints to ache constantly. The fluid retention isn't simply swollen hands and feet. It's edema of my entire body, the likes of which I have never experienced before. My legs feel so heavy when walking and standing, my lower back pain is so intense when standing that I cannot do it for more than 5 minutes at a time. Transition from sitting to standing position and visa versa is excruciating, too. The herb formula Dr. Liu has me on the last two weeks is supposed to take care of that, but the process is quite slow. I was really upset to find last week that I had regained 2 kgs of the 11 kgs I had lost before stopping Cymbalta. How the heck did that even happen??? I have been on strict Paleo diet since last September, and since I'm diabetic, I never eat refined sugar and limit myself to one apple a day. My clothes which had begun to get loose 2 months ago, are beginning to get snug, too. I'm absolutely mystified. Dr Liu keeps telling me to be patient with my body and the herbs, and I'm trying to...but failing. Dr. Liu says these symptoms (the bone/joint pain, etc.) are brought on by the weight gain, which she thinks is mostly water. It's difficult for me to differentiate between fat gain or water gain. So this week I am fighting discouragement, big-time. No question in my mind that the TCM is helping me, but the symptoms I'm currently dealing with are a bugger, and there's no magic pill or any way to get around it - and I am adamant about not taking any more drugs of any kind (except Asian Tylenol occasionally), no matter how I suffer. So the weight gain and the bone pain I just am gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. I do honestly believe that TCM will eventually eliminate these problems. Buy I have to constantly remind myself that TCM works gently with the body, and I need to pray for patience...

#51 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

amen to the new GYN doc! Unbelievable....

Xia-that would be discouraging for me as well. inescapable pain is very discouraging, esp. when you are doing so much to face it all head-on. Is there a Chinese equivalent to Ibuprofen (an OTC anti-inflammatory)?  Hard to discern the difference between fluid or inflammation in the absence of obvious edema or swelling in ankles. I'm voting the crapalta is still in play... :rolleyes:

FreeSoon I should try ultram. Again. I wonder if it would add to GI upset tho.

#52 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Xman, According to the numbers, around 3% develop digestive issues including constipation. 73% of these people are over 50.

#53 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi Xman - Oh, absolutely Cymbalta is responsible for this because it only began when I stopped taking it. No question about it. As for an anti-inflammatory, for me, ibuprofen isn't any more effective than Panadol (the Asian equivalent of Tylenol). Just bugs me that I have to take it every other day now, when I'd prefer to take nothing at all. But if I don't, I won't sleep, and sometimes even if I do, I still don't sleep. Like right now - it's after 4am and I'm still awake, even though I took two Panadol several hours ago.

Ughhhh. I feel grumpy and I have a bad attitude & probably shouldn't be posting in here for a while until I have a more positive outlook. I'm sure this grumpiness is a passing thing...so it won't be forever. Thanks for your support, Xman. You ROCK. :)

#54 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Xman, According to the numbers, around 3% develop digestive issues including constipation. 73% of these people are over 50.

believe it or not but now that I'm FREE of the poison...the constipation that bothered me so much is a thing of the past.

Eventho I have to take oxycodone on an as needed basis for my severe L/S osteoarthritis chronic pain.

& yep I be one of those 'over' 50.... ;)

#55 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

Hi Xman - Oh, absolutely Cymbalta is responsible for this because it only began when I stopped taking it. No question about it. As for an anti-inflammatory, for me, ibuprofen isn't any more effective than Panadol (the Asian equivalent of Tylenol). Just bugs me that I have to take it every other day now, when I'd prefer to take nothing at all. But if I don't, I won't sleep, and sometimes even if I do, I still don't sleep. Like right now - it's after 4am and I'm still awake, even though I took two Panadol several hours ago.

Ughhhh. I feel grumpy and I have a bad attitude & probably shouldn't be posting in here for a while until I have a more positive outlook. I'm sure this grumpiness is a passing thing...so it won't be forever. Thanks for your support, Xman. You ROCK. :)

xiaojle I post here on the forum even when I am a bitch. Cuz you see it helps me to feel better to just be able to vent and get it off my chest. So when you're feeling grumpy please come here and let us know about how you're feeling. We are here to help each others and you are one of us! :hug:

#56 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

Xia--No no, please DO post when you are in the mode or mood (and able) to talk about it! No apologize needed and I personally think YOU rock for taking this on and trying to stay away from any and all rx. possible! Brave beyond words.

I can say I want to, but am still reliant on a couple of pain meds, which I will also take on in the not so distant future. Do they still help the pain, I do not know.

What I do know for sure is that the mind altering, chemically mystical Crapalta is a MUST, in terms of getting out of the body & mind.

Fishinghat, are you referring to the withdrawal sx. of the drug? I am not quite over 50 (LOL :lol:) yet since abruptly stopping it I have had all kinds of GI upset-the top of the list is abd. pain and diarrhea--there, I said it. :o TMI~~~~ Primarily it awakens me. I am around week 6...

#57 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

"Fishinghat, are you referring to the withdrawal sx. of the drug? I am not quite over 50 (LOL :lol:) yet since abruptly stopping it I have had all kinds of GI upset-the top of the list is abd. pain and diarrhea--there, I said it. :o TMI~~~~ Primarily it awakens me. I am around week 6..."

I was talking about the side effects of the Ultram.

#58 Xiaojie

Xiaojie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

EW & Xman, thank you. I guess I just needed permission to "biyahtch" when I feel the urge, lol. Thanks for making me feel better! :)

#59 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Bitch away, Xiaojie ! We can all relate.... And do a bit of therapeutic "vicarious bitching" !

#60 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Especially being alone. You need a place to vent. As FN said, this is the place for it. We will be glad to listen!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users