Photo

How Do You Know When This Drug Is Out Of Your System?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Rosalyn

Rosalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

I have stopped using Cymbalta about three weeks ago.....the only symptom I can recognize is a overwhelming irritability with everyone and everything.

Is this irritability a withdrawal side effect.... I am currently caring for my aging mother who has alzheimers, and the repetativeness and other crazy things she does  has is getting to me....especially since stopping the Cymbalta.   Also I seem to see a lot of stupid drivers and get road rage and curse at them etc......this is not healthy for me, I do not want to be this way.

I know I need to be patient, but sometimes I just want to scream....then I get angry and yell, then I get guilty and cry..... I am thinking maybe I should just go back on it so it will take the irritability away again, but my fear is using these mind altering drugs.....I am very concerned that I will get Alzheimers too.....

Do cymbalta and other drugs that are used for depression and anxiety play a part in future Alzheimer's disease?  Is there research on this?

#2 flik76

flik76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • why_joining:
    To get help and support and to be a help and support.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

Rosalyn, I have been the same way, I am 4.5 weeks off Cymbalta and I am noticing my irritation is getting less and less, hang in there.

#3 zainab

zainab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationkansas
  • why_joining:
    discovering life after cymbalta & wellbutrin.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:43 AM

i've been off two weeks now and i've noticed a lot of irritability...my husband is sick of me snapping at him, LOL. a lot of it for me is the w/d symptoms just making me super sensitive to everything and the extra pain/sensory overload/chills/fever/nausea/tension/etc. puts me on edge. i hope things ease up for you soon!

#4 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Rosalyn, welcome too the forum! All that you mentioned are from w/drawals. They will ease up as time passes. You def' have your hands full. It's hard taking care of self when you must take care of loved ones too! My heart goes out to you! I haven't heard that the meds cause alzheimers. Fishinghat might have info on that. I do know from personal experience with the w/drawals that you start to wonder if there is something else going wrong physically, mentally, emotionally. Those feeling pass also as the crap drug gets out of your system. I hope and pray that you have fam' and friends that you can get on board with you! If possible have them come onto the forum to get some insight into what you are dealing with. It will help them and you! Prayers and hugs for you! Keep posting! We're here for you!!   clara :)

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Welcome Rosalyn. I have not seen any research concerning Cymbalta and Alzheimers. God knows there is enough other effects from Cymbalta we sure don't need that too!!

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I forgot to mention to you that some drs are actually trying to use Cymbalta to treat alzheimers. There is some research that recently came out that Cymbalta allows people to think clearer.

#7 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

F'hat, It's ironic!!! For a very long period of time I was very clear-headed, creative, etc while on Cymbalta! I'm still trying to "figure it all out"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The creative, craft-loving, flower gardening side of me seems to have vanished now that I'm off the drug! What the heck! That's one of the things I just can't wrap my old foggy noggin around! Just ticks me off big time!!! Just another wait and see thing, I guess!  :unsure: :wacko: :blink:  clara :)

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Afraid so Clara. Strange how some drugs work. Clear minded for people like you and me BUT many people become foggy, disconnected and almost zombie like when they are on it.

#9 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida ; formerly Connecticut
  • why_joining:
    To learn from others that have been where I am now. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Welcome Rosalyn, You explained your symptoms well and in week 7 of c/t I still have those mood swings and the rage. The good news is the swings seem to be further apart now and shorter in duration. Hang in there it will happen. Thoughts and prayers.

#10 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

Rosalyn...Welcome...My mother also suffered from Dimentia and let me tell you what you are experiencing is definitely from the repetitive talking and actions your mother is displaying...It is very overwhelming and for a lack of a better word/words, it will leave you exhausted, full of anxiety, sad, and horrible feelings of guilt...you will not be getting any rest and you are always in alert mode and fearfull..

Honestly I don't know if this is the appropriate time for you to quit cymbalta unless you have an equal support team to help with your mom and this horrible disease. I went through this with my mom..This is where I ended up on Cymbalta...

I do not believe cymbalta leads to dimentia/alshiemers..FishingHat has chimed in and researched this concern of yours..

Please take care of yourself and get as much help as you can..Both for you and your loving mother..

God Bless...Keep us posted...

#11 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

I have stopped using Cymbalta about three weeks ago.....the only symptom I can recognize is a overwhelming irritability with everyone and everything.

Is this irritability a withdrawal side effect.... I am currently caring for my aging mother who has alzheimers, and the repetativeness and other crazy things she does  has is getting to me....especially since stopping the Cymbalta.   Also I seem to see a lot of stupid drivers and get road rage and curse at them etc......this is not healthy for me, I do not want to be this way.

I know I need to be patient, but sometimes I just want to scream....then I get angry and yell, then I get guilty and cry..... I am thinking maybe I should just go back on it so it will take the irritability away again, but my fear is using these mind altering drugs.....I am very concerned that I will get Alzheimers too.....

Do cymbalta and other drugs that are used for depression and anxiety play a part in future Alzheimer's disease?  Is there research on this?

Welcome to the support forum glad that you found us. I am gradually weaning off this poison by using the bead counting  method to bee off this med in my near future. Good luck for you on your journey toward freedom. :hug:

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi Roslyn, welcome...you've found a great place for help, info and humor....

May I ask...what dosage were you on and for how long? I gather you quit cold turkey? I quit cold turkey and had far more trouble than you indicate when I as at three weeks....and definitely the irritability...actually mine went into rage a couple of times....I ruined a pillow slamming it on the floor as a way to vent....all that faded after about 4 weeks....hang in there!

I took care of my mother, much as you are doing for yours....and I sympathize with what you're feeling....you must allow time for yourself.....the feelings of guilt aren't justified...because you're doing all you can do of the right this and have done nothing wrong....with me it was so hard that way, until a nurse (I finally had to move her to a nursing home because she needed more care than I cld give) took me aside and told me that my mother, were she able to express herself, wld be the first one to tell me to get some rest and take care of myself.....

Keep letting us know how you're doing!

#13 OMG37

OMG37

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

THis is day 14 for me!!  I am a lot more impatient and on edge!!!  THis is not good for a mom of two little ones!!  A lot of the physical Nightmare has calm down greatly, however I have serous headaches, skin itching, body soreness (that maybe related to the FM).  Even with everything I listed the degree is far less than it was before.  I think with each day things will get better bc in the beginning I didn't think I was going to make it!!!

#14 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

OMG Glad you came to the forum, welcome!!! The irritability and edginess, sad to say, is just another w/drawal symptom. It DOES get better as time passes. I had to ease up on my coffee drinking as the caffeine just added to the antsy, edgy feelings. The physical things and the edginess will slowly ebb also! God bless you! Keep us updated on your progress! prayers and cyber hugs!  clara :)

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

OMG37, you'll make it! 2 weeks, and you're feeling a bit better each day is a great thing!

are you taking any supplements other than (I think you said earlier in another post) vitamins? Extra B complex? Omega 3?

These supplements, as well as theanine (for the anxiety and irritability), tyrosine (to boost my dopamine level as that deficiency is what causes my depression) and a bit of 5-htp (to boost serotonin, as a replacement for the cymbalta)....if you try these,just beware that theanine and 5-htp cause lower bp in some folks...I took too many theanine the other day and had a bout of quite low bp, so I backed off a bit. (Ironic, since cymbalta caused me to have hypertension and tachycardia, which disappeared as soon as I quit C.

#16 Rosalyn

Rosalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Thank you so much for your comments and caring... The rage was there to begin with, I was forced to move from my beloved state of California to New Jersey to care for my Mom and that is how I would up on the cymbalta..... LIve out in Cali for over 40 years.....I visited Mom and she came out there with me for weeks at a time, over this time period, we were in touch via phone mostly everyday and had a strong relationship, even so far away like that........anyway.............

I am an only child, although she has 2 stepdaughters from her 2nd marriage...one passed away last year and the other just does not think about caring for my Mom although she professes such great love etc for her, when we are at family get togethers.... Other than just talk, she has not contributed one hour of time to helping or asking if she could assist in caretaking...an invitation to take her to lunch? Nothing, since I moved here......

She and her family just threw up their hands and figured now that Im here, I can do it all.

But they all make such a big show at family parties.....this makes me even more pissed off and I want to just tell them all where to go......but for the sake of my Mom, I keep my mouth closed. 

I should not care about how they treat her, but she loved them so much for over 40 years and now that she needs this second family group, they are not there for her, except in phony words of I love you!!!!!

Her so called great grandchildren ignore her, no hellos, goodbyes, thank you for gifts etc.....and the parents think its ok....

I think I would be angry with or with the cymbalta.....and why is it not ok to be angry with people's behavior now a days.....

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

I'm an only child too, Rosalyn....mom had siblings nearby who did help a bit....but I was flying from dc to Syracuse ny, renting a car and driving further north to her nursing home...almost every weekend....long story, won't tell it here...but I felt much as you do....but I'm so glad I did all of it for her....I cldnt live with myself if I hadn't.....

Lots of room for you to vent here, btw....so vent and rant away!

#18 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Rosalyn..I do feel your pain and anger. .It's strange how families fly when things become difficult..Especially when they are close in proximity. ..It's ts the responsibly which scares them..and they don't want to be tied down. Its easier for them to take your loving mom somewhere where they DO NOT have to do any work...

You are a wonderful daughter to be there for your mom now that she needs you the most..I do understand where you are coming from with getting on Cymbalta and can see how and why the doctor put you on it..Also, I can understand how, no matter what; on or off cymbalta would be the same...My heart honestly goes out to you..You are single handedly handling a situation which requires more than one person..Wishing there is something I could do to help..What I do have to offer are just suggestions..Which I hope might help..There are many insurances which cover help especially with Alshiemers/Dimentia. .Some are free and others can be covered by insurance, and yet there is another insurance for long term care (this LTC long term care is an insurance you mom would have if she paid into this program)..If all else fails you can call the Alshiemers Association and they can guide you of the volunteer programs and volunteers they have in your area..

Please DO NOT hesitate to vent on this forum...We are here to offer everything we can, all of us are different and offer different pearls ofwisdom...

You have a very challenging road ahead of you for three reasons..1) You are coming off of cymbalta....2) Your mom is suffering from Alsheimers..3) you do NOT have a supportive family to fall back on in both of these areas..

Will be sending prayers your way for you and your mom...God Bless and please keep us posted...Best of luck to you...

#19 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Rosalyn, You are amazing for staying by your mom with A.D. (Alzheimers Dementia) I saw your post yesterday and it took me back to my father. Rest his soul.

I have 3 siblings-none would help take care of the man that gave them life. For better or worse I strongly believe in taking care of our parents, and each other for that matter. You guys are great!

You are so so kind and so very generous soul to have left the life you loved to take on one heck of a challenge. As the good people on this particular topic know, it is easier for people to go into themselves when others are in need--this is what those friends of your mom may have done. Plus perhaps they can't handle seeing her in this condition.

I am sad for you-my heart goes to you. Do meds contribute to A.D.? The answer is unknown. It has, however, been linked to high lipids or cholesterol. My dad took ZERO medications. At age 75 he took some supplements but that was it. ZIP. He fell and fx. his hip while stepping off of a curb, leaving a restaurant. He was driving at the time. That was the SLIPPERY SLOPE. Prior he had displayed short term memory loss and was perhaps in stage 2 disease. Three years later he passed away, in a personal care home. I used his SS money and life savings to kp. him in this wonderful place, after being unsuccessful in caring for him alone.

I found a great resource that helped me find a PCH (personal care home) that met my criteria. Just want to put this out there in case it may be of help. www.aplaceformom.com. They have Licensed Social workers that can help. there is no fee associated with their help.

For those in early stages, medication can help the progression of sx. but is expensive. The (? esclon)patch seems to be favored as it is not a daily pill to take.

Meal on Wheels And More is an awesome org. to help kp. people in their own homes as long as possible, supporting with food and, would you believe, care for their companion animal. YES!! WOOF. I am a proud supporter in the Austin community.

Power and love to you. To you ALL!! You have been of infinite help. Mwaaaah.

#20 clearglass

clearglass

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGreater Philadelphia Area
  • why_joining:
    I joined for support coming and staying off Cymbalta. Also joined to hopefully offer support to others.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Welcome Rosalyn,

I'm also counting beads to come off Cymbalta.  I have felt anxiety and brain zaps.  As I read your information, I realize I lost interest in creativity; I stopped singing in the choir, reading, even going out. It does get better.  Lately I've been reading, playing music, singing in the car instead of yelling at other drivers, and I'm looking forward to rejoining the choir after I start working again. In time, things get better.

Going through family problems can be very hard, so don't be hard on yourself.  Vent; you'll be suprised how many friends are willing to listen.  If you can't find someone to talk to, you always have this forum.

Clearglass.

#21 sodone61

sodone61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • why_joining:
    Support and encouragement to discontinue duloxetine, which sounds like a town on Shrek

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Welcome Roslyn.   :wub:

Day 2 for me and I'm having those "body zaps" you guys spoke of and my back hurts (probably from moving for the first time in awhile after being a couch anchor for the last few months.  lol)  I'm also very emotional.  I'm crying spontaneously although it is nice to feel something for the first time in awhile. 

Clara - I share your frustration and experience of being 'on point' the first few months on the C- poison and then it turned on me and I became a zombie, barely able to even answer my phone.  I'm naturally a very social, active and creative person with almost restless ambition and drive.  This journey quashed that, not to mention the hypertension and nightmares. 

Now I'm not sure what to do about these withdrawal symptoms. Should I cold turkey with nothing?  Should I ask the doc for something else?  Do I try another antidepressant or just treat for the acute symptoms ?  It's only the second day but I do have to be grateful that at least I'm awake for a change!   Prayers for all.  Pam

#22 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Sodone61..... Hang in there.....it's too soon to tell if you need something else! And isn't it wonderful to begin to feel your full range of human emotions again! Avoid unnecessary stimulation...news, movies, etc....as that can cause overload and too much emotion....

I need to go back and reread your earlier posts...but it sounds like you quit cold turkey....as I did....if I had it to do over, I'd bead count....have you given this serious consideration? I think most of the others here would agree with this method.....it gives you control over the weaning process so you can evaluate and manage symptoms....and even go back up a bead or toe, stabilize again, and then count down from there....

Also to consider....

Are you taking the basic group of vitamins and supplements? Multi-vitamin; b-complex; omega 3; magnesium; also maybe some extra vitamin C?

How's your basic nutrition doing...food .... Some of us, myself included, have found it helpful to use whey protein...it's a complete protein, with all the necessary amino acids, and can be mixed with milk or juice...also comes in flavors...

Are you drinking lots of water and Gatorade? Also, chamomile tea and yogi liver detox tea are good basic teas that help to flush out your body.....ginger tea can help with nausea....

stay away from the more medicinal herb teas until you're further along in the process....they can help with specific side effects, but also can have adverse side effects and interactions with each other and meds....so need to be carefully researched before use....

It's far too soon in your withdrawal to consider using any of the specific amino acid supplements that are discussed elsewhere here....you first need to be sure the poison is out of your system (it enhances serotonin, as do some amino supplements...too much serotonin can bring on serotonin syndrome...as bad or worse than the withdraw itself...)

Hang in there, and stay with us here...give us regular updates so we can help you along!

#23 Rosalyn

Rosalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hi again, to all who wrote encouraing words to me, I really appreciate it. Thank You all so much!

I did not plan on stopping cold turkey, but the pills are very expensive and I was on a program at a health care clinic where they got them for me ....but there was some kind of mixup with the Dr and the program admin....and the pills were not ordered.....

To make a long story story short, by the time I got the Dr and Drug Progam Admin on the same page I had been off them for more than a week.....so I figured maybe I should stay off them... I have a four months supply sitting in a bag in my bedroom....I am not one who likes to take meds......I always wind up stopping so this worked out for me so far.

Mom is on a new Med for Alzheimers called Namende, she tried the patch, got allergic hives to the adhesive, tried Aracept, but no visible differences, so now it's Namenda.....we will see.

One of the major issues is that I live in her house....when I moved here it wasn't to live with her full time...I didnt realize how quickly her health was going to go down hill and that I would be here full time 24/7 caretaking...... I envisioned having my own place, a job and being part of the family to care for her.....not all by myself.  But that is not how it is unfolding.... I had to take early retirement and got hit with almost a 25% loss in ss income...did not want to but had to, so I could be there for her.

So here I am trying hard to just take it one day at a time....but I feel like my life has been put on hold and I stepped back in time here in NJ to a mentally declining Mother who thinks she can still tell me what to do and when to come home, etc.  who has dementia and can really not tell anyone what to do anymore.....but she tries!  She is very loving most of the time, but does have tantrums and trys to play the Mother Card on me......LOL.... I am over 60, she is 88.....can you imagine...

But look behind any door and see other people's problems and I'll bet you will take your own rather than switch with them......Basically LIfe is good and I love her with all my heart, and would not trade this time with her for anything.....I will not have regrets....

#24 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Rosalyn..No I can't image you mother acting that way because I actually lived it the same exact way as you are..My mother was on Excelon patch and Namanda...Very familiar with these meds..I too was 59 and my mom was 88..Yes she would tell me what to do and constantly ask me to take her to go see her parents..She would walk right out the door and start walking towards her parents house..I would get in the car and follow her to see if she remembered the way. .at times she did and at times she didnt...She would get back in the car and I drove her to my grandparents home (they have passed on and my aunt owns the house)..I would tell her they went to Italy to visit relatives and woulf be home in a month...This was a once a day ritual. .Sometimes we would do this two times..I'd even let her knock on the door and of course no one was there so my mom would say " oh they are not home". 15 minutes later she would want to go back again not even remembering we were right there. .At times my mom thought I was one of her sister and she would argue with me as though she was arguing with one sister in particular. .Since I knew much about this disease I know how to handle her changing dispoditions...at times she was child like, at times she was happy, at times she felt my father left her (he passed away unexpectedly a month prior to this), she called her nephews on the pp hone looking for their mother (her sister who passed away a few years ago of Dimentia). What I did to keep my sanity in line was to stay in her conversation. .I didn't try to bring her back to normal mind..I went with her in her Dimentia mind..This kept her from arguing and it keep us in her world..Where she unknowingly felt safe...and safe us what they need to feel...They come and go in reality and I did the same thing to keep her calm. .As this disease progresses it does get worse, especially if they were active people..They could be quick too...mail was missing, my wallet in my purse was missing, everything went missing....They believe these items are theirs and they go and put them somewhere and then of course forget where they put or hide things...I needed to keep my purse and keys in my pocket or car..If she found them they became hers because she believed they were hers...She also kept an immaculate house therefore nothing was left on the furniture. .If it was, it was hers, and she would put them some where...it goes on and on..even to the point where they don't sleep any longer...Days and nights become reversed for them..My mom would wake me at 2 am to take her to her mother's house and she was dressed up to go...This is very scary..Sleep was not something you do when you are a caregiver...It's a horrible disease and I started to know I need help and I did get help in the home only because my parents had paid into LTC and I PUT THIS Coverage In Effect AND Had 6 Girls come in 5 days a week..My niece even moved in with my mom and she never ever slept the whole time...The worse part is when they don't recognize you and think you are a stranger in their home...They might hurt that person physically. .This did not happen to us in my mom's case although it was the case ina friends case....Sorry I went on and on about Dimentia..but iit's a horrible disease and the individuals suffering from Dimentia don't realize they become someone you don't even know anylonger...It's heartbreaking. .

This is going to be tough on you, I do not doubt it...Just remember when you turn your back for 2 minutes your mom could have just walked out the door and they are fast..They don't know time even if you just told them 5 min ago..They don't remember...Their short time memory is what they are losing...You can have wonderful conversations of the past which will suprise you think everything is ok...

You'll make your mom something to est..she will eat it..and tell you she hasn't eaten anything all day. .They just forget and can't recall...It's not a game with them. .They really don't remember..Don't argue with them because they really believe what's in their present mind at the moment. .Don't remind them they forgot this will only bring on aggitation in your mom..

What I will tell you to do is turn off all shut off valves to a gas stove..Take the knows off all electric stoves and put them in a cup only you know where they are...Do this with the oven also..hide the toaster and etc...you don't want your mom trying to cook something at 4 am and then forgetting something is cooking..Oh there is much much more..
See how you do with no cymbalta. .and if you feel your withdrawls are becoming intolerable you can start to bead count...Please hide your pills in the trunk of your car because your mom may think they are hers or throw them away or hide them somewhere also..Please keep track of your mail or have your mail be held for you at the post office so you can pick it up...

Take care, try to get volunteers in to help, take all help that's offered...You need your own time alone to be strong enough to handle the difficult days of your mom demands (unintentional )..But alarms on top of outside doors so you can hear if she goes out..Please but an alarm on the basement door so she doesn't trip down the stairs. ..

You really will not have a life of your own unless you get some help in..It's 24/7 and dimentia individuals will go 24/7 for three to four days straight...I wont hold back anything or any stage of Dimentia to you...It's also very heartbreaking

I will be right here to help you as much as you need it...

Best to you...:)

#25 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

I refuse to count days, but I think it is between 12-16 days for me being w/o Crapalta, Cold turkey or foolish turkey, I can't yet say :P.

Sodone61 Pam: If you are having symptoms related to dc'g the Crapalta, then yes you may could benefit from something during the time of acute withdrawal. If you can manage without adding an rx to your body, well this is ideal. Kp. track of your BP--don't want that to get out of whack. Can you watch HGTV or put on mindless TV. For me I like to have classical music on low volume.

I was moved by Carleeta's story of her mother's dementia. So well put into words...I could see you (my mental picture of you) driving your mother home after she walked down the street to her former home.  

The fact that she had the LTC insurance was HUGE! She was a smart woman. Suzie Orman, a financial guru and straight talking woman speaks to the value of having this type of coverage. Certainly not for everyone.

It took me, a veteran in the healthcare field, over a year to manage to figure out my dad had VA benefits, having served in WW2. He never tapped into the system as he was healthy up until his fall; the slippery slope. It was not easy for me to navigate the system, but now I know...

There is a man, who is a Harvard grad physician with special interest in ethics, by the name of Angelo Volandes. He has developed 3-5 minute videos that show people what dementia is like using few words.

Rosalyn: it may be worth your time to watch the one on AD (Alzheimer's Dementia), and actually one or two of the others...

The sun is out!!! AND it's warm. I wish it were so where each and everyone of you in this community resides. I am going out for the vitamin D therapy. Peace and HOPE to you all today. :wub:

#26 Rosalyn

Rosalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Rosalyn..No I can't image you mother acting that way because I actually lived it the same exact way as you are..My mother was on Excelon patch and Namanda...Very familiar with these meds..I too was 59 and my mom was 88..Yes she would tell me what to do and constantly ask me to take her to go see her parents..She would walk right out the door and start walking towards her parents house..I would get in the car and follow her to see if she remembered the way. .at times she did and at times she didnt...She would get back in the car and I drove her to my grandparents home (they have passed on and my aunt owns the house)..I would tell her they went to Italy to visit relatives and woulf be home in a month...This was a once a day ritual. .Sometimes we would do this two times..I'd even let her knock on the door and of course no one was there so my mom would say " oh they are not home". 15 minutes later she would want to go back again not even remembering we were right there. .At times my mom thought I was one of her sister and she would argue with me as though she was arguing with one sister in particular. .Since I knew much about this disease I know how to handle her changing dispoditions...at times she was child like, at times she was happy, at times she felt my father left her (he passed away unexpectedly a month prior to this), she called her nephews on the pp hone looking for their mother (her sister who passed away a few years ago of Dimentia). What I did to keep my sanity in line was to stay in her conversation. .I didn't try to bring her back to normal mind..I went with her in her Dimentia mind..This kept her from arguing and it keep us in her world..Where she unknowingly felt safe...and safe us what they need to feel...They come and go in reality and I did the same thing to keep her calm. .As this disease progresses it does get worse, especially if they were active people..They could be quick too...mail was missing, my wallet in my purse was missing, everything went missing....They believe these items are theirs and they go and put them somewhere and then of course forget where they put or hide things...I needed to keep my purse and keys in my pocket or car..If she found them they became hers because she believed they were hers...She also kept an immaculate house therefore nothing was left on the furniture. .If it was, it was hers, and she would put them some where...it goes on and on..even to the point where they don't sleep any longer...Days and nights become reversed for them..My mom would wake me at 2 am to take her to her mother's house and she was dressed up to go...This is very scary..Sleep was not something you do when you are a caregiver...It's a horrible disease and I started to know I need help and I did get help in the home only because my parents had paid into LTC and I PUT THIS Coverage In Effect AND Had 6 Girls come in 5 days a week..My niece even moved in with my mom and she never ever slept the whole time...The worse part is when they don't recognize you and think you are a stranger in their home...They might hurt that person physically. .This did not happen to us in my mom's case although it was the case ina friends case....Sorry I went on and on about Dimentia..but iit's a horrible disease and the individuals suffering from Dimentia don't realize they become someone you don't even know anylonger...It's heartbreaking. .

This is going to be tough on you, I do not doubt it...Just remember when you turn your back for 2 minutes your mom could have just walked out the door and they are fast..They don't know time even if you just told them 5 min ago..They don't remember...Their short time memory is what they are losing...You can have wonderful conversations of the past which will suprise you think everything is ok...

You'll make your mom something to est..she will eat it..and tell you she hasn't eaten anything all day. .They just forget and can't recall...It's not a game with them. .They really don't remember..Don't argue with them because they really believe what's in their present mind at the moment. .Don't remind them they forgot this will only bring on aggitation in your mom..

What I will tell you to do is turn off all shut off valves to a gas stove..Take the knows off all electric stoves and put them in a cup only you know where they are...Do this with the oven also..hide the toaster and etc...you don't want your mom trying to cook something at 4 am and then forgetting something is cooking..Oh there is much much more..
See how you do with no cymbalta. .and if you feel your withdrawls are becoming intolerable you can start to bead count...Please hide your pills in the trunk of your car because your mom may think they are hers or throw them away or hide them somewhere also..Please keep track of your mail or have your mail be held for you at the post office so you can pick it up...

Take care, try to get volunteers in to help, take all help that's offered...You need your own time alone to be strong enough to handle the difficult days of your mom demands (unintentional )..But alarms on top of outside doors so you can hear if she goes out..Please but an alarm on the basement door so she doesn't trip down the stairs. ..

You really will not have a life of your own unless you get some help in..It's 24/7 and dimentia individuals will go 24/7 for three to four days straight...I wont hold back anything or any stage of Dimentia to you...It's also very heartbreaking

I will be right here to help you as much as you need it...

Best to you... :)

Thank you for your insight into what may come.....It is the reason I was on the Cymbalta and I question my timing to get off at this point since I know there is more heartbreaking day to day experiences in the future to cope with.  Mom has an ever growing to do something everyday....we live near the Casinos in Phila and she would go there everyday if she could....she does not have any grasp on how much she gambles away and I believe it is the lights and bells and general chaos of the casino that she likes.   She never developed any interests besides caring for her family and visiting relatives and now it has come back to haunt both of us, as she does not want to do anything other than go out or go to the casinos.  It is driving me nuts to try and think up things to do everyday to entertain her.  This is where my frustration comes in with the step family, as they do not help plan little outings for her at all.

I am reading a book called the 36 hour day and it helps to understand the issues but it still doesnt stop my anger or guilt when I have to tell her no casino today and then see her pout like a child.  I thank you for your tips on dealing with these things and hope to contribute to this site as well as get the advice given by others who have experienced it.

BTW...how are you doing now ? 

#27 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Some thoughts....is your mom sufficiently able to function that she could play video games, xbox, simple computer games, or something similar that would give her the flashing lights, sounds and visual stimulation at home? The nursing home where a dear friend of mine lives finds that this helps quite a few of their "wandering" residents....it gives them something simple they can engage in....and be moderately challenged by...and get a sense of accomplishment from....

Another thing they do is to use lots of seasonal decorations...for st Patricks day, Christmas, etc....along with strings of colored lights that flash, alternate, etc....

Another thing I've seen used, elsewhere...is to enlist the person's "help" in simple household duties....folding towels....drying silverware...organizing a drawer..sorting laundry into lights and darks.....of course, all without the expectation that the tasks will actually yield useful results....but it allows the person to feel useful and needed...

#28 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

All great ideas coming from FiveNotions. Read her posts b/c they are helpful, insightful, funny, and REAL! :wub:

#29 Rosalyn

Rosalyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

I have been off line for a while going through some painful feelings of being trapped in a crazy world of dementia....sometimes I just feel like it's me that's going off the deep end.  Mom has so much repetition, endless fussing, rearranging and then rearranging things over and over....it is maddening....

Then there is the withdrawal from Cymbalta......I have recently felt those zaps or electrical zings going through my ankles in particular, although I have had a coule in the back of my head too.  They are scary, but as soon as I rub the area, it goes away.....any info on what they are or how to get rid of them....it is almost like an itch, but has a definite zapping feeling deep in the tissues, not on the skin like an itch....

I think I have been off the cymbalta at least two months now. Any info on when these little zaps will stop??

#30 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Wow Rosalyn, you have your hands full! As yet I haven't had to deal with someone close having dementia. My heart goes out to you. I'll pray God will give you strength, wisdom, and peace of mind for these trying times! As for the zaps... mine are 99% gone...3+ months off Cymbalta. Mine were always brain zaps at night when I was almost asleep. They are indeed scary! Hopefully yours will go away with time. Hang in there! All my best to you!   clara :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users