Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawal from Cymbalta.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hi, I finally found out what is wrong with me. I've been on Cymbalta for about 6 years. It was given to me for pain as I have fibromyalgia. I have in the past dealt with panic attacks and so I'm not new to this whole drug thing and working my way off of them. I was taking 60 mg morning and 60 evening. I have been off evening for quite awhile now. I also went off prozac and klonopin. Ya! I know!! I stopped taking the evening cymbalta quite awhile back. Can't remember when exactly. And for over a year now I have been having, not dizziness, but the feeling like what you get when you've been on a boat all day or after getting off of an elevator. Somedays it's worse than others, depending on whether I've taken my morning Cymbalta. Iv'e been taking the big C every other day and it's not working. Very hard on me. I saw my Dr. today and he told me what was going on. Made sence to me except when he told me to go down to 30 mg a day for two weeks and then 30 mg every other day for two weeks. After reading the posts on here I've decided to do it the bead removal way. Makes more sense to me. So my idea is to take a full 60 mg's tomorrow and then each day after that remove a bead. If I have a particularly rough period then I will take the amount I took the day before and continue that for a bit until I feel I can remove another bead. Also I have Xanex and have found that it has been really helpful. I only take it in super lite doses and not every day. Now here's what I would like to know from all of you. Does this sound like a good way to do it?

I also think I went off the other two drugs mentioned above to close together and near the same time I dropped some Cymbalta. I had no idea it would be that bad. I also have other symptoms of detox but not severe.

I'd appreciate your help on this. Thanks for this web site. I don't feel so alone now. God Bless, Ginny

#2 Jones

Jones

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

I tried cold turkey but that didn't work so I did what you are outlining. Started taking five beads out a day but some days that just didn't always work, so just added one or two until I leveled off. I am so grateful to have found this site for direction.
It took a while but it got done !
Good luck on this journey. There are many posts and good people on this site that can direct you to supplements that can help and provide moral support.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Wow JK61. You nailed it. Sounds like a perfect plan. Keep us posted and best of luck.

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

Agree with Fishinghat...JG61, that's the way to go! And welcome to the group...Keep us posted and we're rooting for you!

Jones, are you out of withdrawal and in recovery mode? How long? And wow, congratulations!

#5 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

I am so happy to read your comments and so blessed that I found this site. Day 1 tomorrow. I'm ready. I'll keep all of you posted. Thanks again, Ginny

#6 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Ginny, it sounds as if you are one of those (like most of us here) who are experiencing the "discontinuation syndrome" (which is just a cover for withdrawal symptoms).   You came to the right place.  I don't know how I would have gotten through the whole experience if it weren't for the wonderful people here.    

The plan your doctor gave you seems to be the standard process suggested (it is identical to the one my doctor gave me back in November).  I only took 60 mg once/day, though.   It only took 5 days after dropping to 30 mg that I starting realizing that I couldn't function with those symptoms.   I started the bead-counting method at the very beginning of December.     It took me about 10 weeks to taper completely off of it.   I think I am on my 4th week of being completely free of this crap.   The good news is that there is a light at the end of tunnel.  I honestly thought the last day would never get here.  

I can also advise you to not rush yourself.    I pushed myself faster than the advice of my friends here, and...every time...I paid the price with some pretty awful days.    I know everyone is a little different, but I do believe that "slow and steady" is the best advise.      I haven't been on the site in a few weeks (life got pretty busy), but I can see that some of my old friends are still here. Fishinghat, Thismoment, Equuswoman, Clara...(I may have missed a few) really got me through this journey.   I trust their wisdom implicitly.   I know there are many more here as well who have walked this journey and will be able to encourage you every step of the way.  

Most important, I can tell you that there were times I didn't know how or if this was every going to end.   I was pretty freaked out, honestly.  But once I took the advice of my friends (by slowing down and pacing myself), it really wasn't that bad at all.   After my last "bead," I had a few days that were a bit rough (maybe 2 or 3); but each day got better.   I still have moments from time to time when I THINK I'm having a slight "zap" - but overall, I feel pretty amazing.   My brain is clear, my body seems to be functioning better than ever, and I've lost almost 25 of the 35 pounds I had gained since being on the drug.   

Before you know it...you'll be through this as well.   

Hang in there, my friend! 

Tim

#7 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

GinnyKim, welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan and a back up with the Xanax for the rough times! Yay!!! Keep us posted! Great to hear from you, Timbo!! hugs and prayers for all on the forum!!!  clara :)

#8 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

GinnyKim, welcome! Sounds like you have a great plan and a back up with the Xanax for the rough times! Yay!!! Keep us posted! Great to hear from you, Timbo!! hugs and prayers for all on the forum!!!  clara :)

Hugs and prayers back to ya, Clara!   You're email today spurred me out of seclusion!  ;-)   

#9 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Ginny...one more thing.   Xanax...ABSOLUTELY!   That was the best thing for taking off the edge when things were a bit rough.   Just wanted to affirm that!   :)

#10 Leprechaun

Leprechaun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida ; formerly Connecticut
  • why_joining:
    To learn from others that have been where I am now. Maybe someday I will be able to help someone else.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

Welcome GinnyKim, You've come to the right place for help getting of Cymbalta. Sounds like you have a solid plan worked out and it looks like a good one. Keep in touch with the forums for support and encouragement. Best of luck to you and thoughts and prayers your way.

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

GinnyKim61...Welcome..Sounds as though you have done your research and have come up with the right strategy for you..You actually answered your own questions. ..

Just keep listening to what your body is telling you, as it will be your guide to your bead counting process. .

Best of luck to you!

#12 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

Hi, I finally found out what is wrong with me. I've been on Cymbalta for about 6 years. It was given to me for pain as I have fibromyalgia. I have in the past dealt with panic attacks and so I'm not new to this whole drug thing and working my way off of them. I was taking 60 mg morning and 60 evening. I have been off evening for quite awhile now. I also went off prozac and klonopin. Ya! I know!! I stopped taking the evening cymbalta quite awhile back. Can't remember when exactly. And for over a year now I have been having, not dizziness, but the feeling like what you get when you've been on a boat all day or after getting off of an elevator. Somedays it's worse than others, depending on whether I've taken my morning Cymbalta. Iv'e been taking the big C every other day and it's not working. Very hard on me. I saw my Dr. today and he told me what was going on. Made sence to me except when he told me to go down to 30 mg a day for two weeks and then 30 mg every other day for two weeks. After reading the posts on here I've decided to do it the bead removal way. Makes more sense to me. So my idea is to take a full 60 mg's tomorrow and then each day after that remove a bead. If I have a particularly rough period then I will take the amount I took the day before and continue that for a bit until I feel I can remove another bead. Also I have Xanex and have found that it has been really helpful. I only take it in super lite doses and not every day. Now here's what I would like to know from all of you. Does this sound like a good way to do it?

I also think I went off the other two drugs mentioned above to close together and near the same time I dropped some Cymbalta. I had no idea it would be that bad. I also have other symptoms of detox but not severe.

I'd appreciate your help on this. Thanks for this web site. I don't feel so alone now. God Bless, Ginny

GK61Hi and welcome to the Cymbalta support forum. Glad that you found us. I tried to get off Cymbalta the way my pain physician said to do it and it didn't work. I began searching the web and happened upon this web site. It was here where I learned all about bead counting. I was on 60mg every day for almost 2 years for pain of my lower back due to severe osteoarthritis. I no longer wanted to deal with the SE of the drug and thus began a way to rid myself of it. I began my weaning process on Thurs Nov 4th. At first dropping 5 beads per day but had to slow down as that was way to fast and I began to have horrid w/d symptoms. Therefore I began dropping only 1 bead per day and even at this slow go I've had some w/d symptoms but I have managed to make it thru and will continue on until I am forever done with Cymbalta. Keep us updated on how you're doing. Glad that you're here. :hug:

#13 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

Ginny, it sounds as if you are one of those (like most of us here) who are experiencing the "discontinuation syndrome" (which is just a cover for withdrawal symptoms).   You came to the right place.  I don't know how I would have gotten through the whole experience if it weren't for the wonderful people here.    

The plan your doctor gave you seems to be the standard process suggested (it is identical to the one my doctor gave me back in November).  I only took 60 mg once/day, though.   It only took 5 days after dropping to 30 mg that I starting realizing that I couldn't function with those symptoms.   I started the bead-counting method at the very beginning of December.     It took me about 10 weeks to taper completely off of it.   I think I am on my 4th week of being completely free of this crap.   The good news is that there is a light at the end of tunnel.  I honestly thought the last day would never get here.  

I can also advise you to not rush yourself.    I pushed myself faster than the advise of my friends here, and...every time...I paid the price with some pretty awful days.    I know everyone is a little different, but I do believe that "slow and steady" is the best advise.      I haven't been on the site in a few weeks (life got pretty busy), but I can see that some of my old friends are still here. Fishinghat, Thismoment, Equuswoman, Clara...(I may have missed a few) really got me through this journey.   I trust their wisdom implicitly.   I know there are many more here as well who have walked to journey and will be able to encourage you every step of the way.  

Most important, I can tell you that there were times I didn't know how or if this was every going to end.   I was pretty freaked out, honestly.  But once I took the advice of my friends (by slowing down and pacing myself), it really wasn't that bad at all.   After my last "bead," I had a few days that were a bit rough (maybe 2 or 3); but each day got better.   I still have moments from time to time when I THINK I'm having a slight "zap" - but overall, I feel pretty amazing.   My brain is clear, my body seems to be functioning better than ever, and I've lost almost 25 of the 35 pounds I had gained since being on the drug.   

Before you know it...you'll be through this as well.   

Hang in there, my friend! 

Tim

Tim It is so good to see that you've done well after weaning off Cymbalta. I was thinking about you only the other day,

Keep it up and drop in on the forum ever once in a while to keep us updated darlin'.... :hug:

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Great to hear from you Timbo!!

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Please keep checking in with us Timbo, it's treat to hear from you again....your comments really helped me when I first got started here....we need your perspective!

#16 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

Good Morning to all of you. Today is the day and I'm pretty excited! LOL I appreciate all of your comments of support and encouragement. I hit like on all of your comments but then was told I had reached my quota for the day. So I want to thank all of you. I slept good last night and have felt so much Peace since I know what is wrong and how to deal with it. Love you all, Ginny

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Yay GK61! Let us know, day by day, how you're doing!

#18 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Yay GinnyKim! Your excitement is contagious. Whenever I feel a lift I come here--and I know what ya mean about reaching the "like" quoto. I am not sure of its purpose...Oh well, I ramble on anyway. :D

#19 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

GinnyKim61. ..Yes it appears you can only hit 'like' two times a day..Feel free to post away because there is no limit to the posts..

Glad you feel empowered and at peace..

We are here for you...Don't give up..Do post instead...We truly care...

Best of luck to you...

#20 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

You are all so wonderful..................I wanted to share some things that I've been addressing since yesterday. I talked to a natural food therapist and she told me to eat a lot of fiber. That would be a good way to detox from what is in the intestine. She also told me not to take herbs etc. as they can interfere with medications, which I've heard before. So today I did some grocery shopping and picked up a few things. It was a sunny day here in Michigan . My body wanted to take a nap but my mind said to get out in the sunshine, so I did. I was doing fine but then in the middle of a grocery isle I just wanted to start bawling. I've had this happen for quite awhile and didn't think that it was due to the withdrawal of Cymbalta. Hmmmmm. I ended up picking up something to eat and that helped some. Was glad to get home and rest. I think I will be finding out many things that are going on with me that are connected to all of this. I do feel better about myself though now. I know that it's okay to take it easy and to be good to myself. That this, just like other things I've gone through is do-able! My life verse is, "this too shall pass" LOL.

I saw that a member posted about Tart Cherry and I have used it for pain in my morning smoothies for quite awhile. Not for sleep though. So if any of you try it please let us know. Love yourselves each and every day. We will prevail. Thanks again for being here.

#21 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

You are all so wonderful..................I wanted to share some things that I've been addressing since yesterday. I talked to a natural food therapist and she told me to eat a lot of fiber. That would be a good way to detox from what is in the intestine. She also told me not to take herbs etc. as they can interfere with medications, which I've heard before. So today I did some grocery shopping and picked up a few things. It was a sunny day here in Michigan . My body wanted to take a nap but my mind said to get out in the sunshine, so I did. I was doing fine but then in the middle of a grocery isle I just wanted to start bawling. I've had this happen for quite awhile and didn't think that it was due to the withdrawal of Cymbalta. Hmmmmm. I ended up picking up something to eat and that helped some. Was glad to get home and rest. I think I will be finding out many things that are going on with me that are connected to all of this. I do feel better about myself though now. I know that it's okay to take it easy and to be good to myself. That this, just like other things I've gone through is do-able! My life verse is, "this too shall pass" LOL.

I saw that a member posted about Tart Cherry and I have used it for pain in my morning smoothies for quite awhile. Not for sleep though. So if any of you try it please let us know. Love yourselves each and every day. We will prevail. Thanks again for being here.

GinnyKim61. ..Glad you are home and safe..Yes emotions due tend to surface when withdrawing from Cymbalta...All emotions will once appear...I love and admire your attitude. .Keep that attitude because it's healthy..Read you use the tart cherry juice for pain..Do you mind me asking how much you put in your smoothie?

Keep posting and thank you for keeping us posted...

#22 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Good Morning to all.

Best Friend, I use 2 Tablespoons of the Tart Cherry juice in my smoothie. I add a vegetable protein powder and strawberries and half of a banana. I just use water, some people use apple juice or other juices. When my depression was really bad and I couldn't eat I would have two of these a day. At least I knew I was getting something healthy in my body.

My sister uses the Cherry in her water but it's not sweet enough for me. Too tart that way.

Let me know if you decide to try it.

Do you have pain? Just wondering. Have a good day.

#23 chiggs

chiggs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

Wow, I can not believe this forum exists.  I was on Cymbalta for 2 years 60 mg - i lost both of my parents one expected, one unexpected within 25 days of each other, then had a surgery within 15 days of the second parents death and ended up with blood clots - it was all extremely stressful, on one of my visits to the DR office for blood thinness check, my blood pressure was sooo high, they would not let me leave - -  -so vola cymbalta.   i've been experiencing extreme leg pain  -and i'm really not a baby - i have crohns disease so have had my own little other hell on the side, I am my GI Dr's hero - for all that i have endured and continue to work a stressful full time very busy sales and marketing job,   anyway, i have had these extreme leg pains after being on my feet for a few hours at a time, like cooking in the kitchen for 2-3 hours - and i wear crocs(shoes) to absorb the hardness of the wood floors. - so last week i was thinking and have always associated these pains starting after i started taking the blood thinners 2 years ago (which i only took for 6 months) and the only other common thing is that i was still taking the cymybalta - so ok, i thought things are better, its been 2 years, and i know if i miss one dose at night i would be a little dizzy the next day - so lets quit cold turkey, how bad could it be. . .  . .that was March 1, 2014 - so in the last 7 days i've had 

dizziness - very very dizzy - which Dramamine only slightly helps

eating like crazy - i think i just associate feeling better with food.

irritable - but not extreme - today was the first day i cried

if someone one comes at me - yelling or talking really load all i hear is blah blah blah

if i move too fast my brain feels like it slams against my skull - with a load thud (don't know how that possible)

these symptoms have lessened a little bit over the week, but not enough. . . . . .please tell me  i will wake up tomorrow and feel better!!

#24 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

I think everyone with eye problems, possibly also dizziness and brain zaps, should read the section on eyes in this article....it starts on pg 6...goes into detail about the effect of serotonin, or lack thereof, on vision....cymbalta enhances serotonin...when we quit our brains don't have what they were used to...I've been taking tryptophan, which helps a great deal with my optic neuritis. Related to quitting the poison. ....however, it's still awful....

https://www.cymbalta...nin-deficiency/

#25 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,896 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Welcome Chiggs. You have been through a lot and my deepest sympathy for the loss of your parents. It sounds like you are a strong women if you can combat Crohn's desease on a daily battle.

The first 3 or 4 weeks of withdrawal are the worse with some slow, and I mean slow improvements. By the 8th to 12th week usually see signs of good days followed by bad days but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Now that is the average. And with quiting cold turkey you can usually add a couple weeks more to the time frame. I have known people who actually quit cold turkey without a symptom. And others where the withdrawal last 6 months to over a year but these are rare. Research says between 30 to 80% of people do not experience withdrawal while other research shows that around 7% experience withdrawal of 6 months or more. Obviously a lot of variation. The idea is to just take it one day at a time. Do not put too much pressure on yourself or it will just make things worse.

You are not alone. We are here if you need us. Feel free to complain, blow off steam or ask for a shoulder to cry on.

God Bless.

#26 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:50 PM

Wow, I can not believe this forum exists.  I was on Cymbalta for 2 years 60 mg - i lost both of my parents one expected, one unexpected within 25 days of each other, then had a surgery within 15 days of the second parents death and ended up with blood clots - it was all extremely stressful, on one of my visits to the DR office for blood thinness check, my blood pressure was sooo high, they would not let me leave - -  -so vola cymbalta.   i've been experiencing extreme leg pain  -and i'm really not a baby - i have crohns disease so have had my own little other hell on the side, I am my GI Dr's hero - for all that i have endured and continue to work a stressful full time very busy sales and marketing job,   anyway, i have had these extreme leg pains after being on my feet for a few hours at a time, like cooking in the kitchen for 2-3 hours - and i wear crocs(shoes) to absorb the hardness of the wood floors. - so last week i was thinking and have always associated these pains starting after i started taking the blood thinners 2 years ago (which i only took for 6 months) and the only other common thing is that i was still taking the cymybalta - so ok, i thought things are better, its been 2 years, and i know if i miss one dose at night i would be a little dizzy the next day - so lets quit cold turkey, how bad could it be. . .  . .that was March 1, 2014 - so in the last 7 days i've had 

dizziness - very very dizzy - which Dramamine only slightly helps

eating like crazy - i think i just associate feeling better with food.

irritable - but not extreme - today was the first day i cried

if someone one comes at me - yelling or talking really load all i hear is blah blah blah

if i move too fast my brain feels like it slams against my skull - with a load thud (don't know how that possible)

these symptoms have lessened a little bit over the week, but not enough. . . . . .please tell me  i will wake up tomorrow and feel better!!

Welcome, Chiggs!   Your post reminds of one that I posted almost 4 months ago when I started my journey off of Cymbalta.   By day 6, I was about to go out of my mind when I found this forum.  Fishinghat has given you solid statistics...which are (as you can see) extremely uncertain.    Such is the nature of the process of getting off of this drug.   

Have you read any of the posts regarding tapering off by taking beads out of the capsules?   I think you'll find that many of us here used (or are using) that method to avoid living with those unbearable effects.  I couldn't function at work or otherwise when I got to the 6th day.   I immediately started taking 60mg again and began the counting (reducing the number of beads in the capsule about 2% each day).    If your symptoms persist or continue to get worse, that would be be my advice to you.   

Even using the bead-counting method, the next 12 weeks were no cakewalk.  I can't imagine how I could have handled much more than that.   

The GOOD news is that after about 11 weeks, I was completely free from Cymbalta.  This is about my 4th week to be completely off of it, and I feel amazing (I still have the occasional "zaps" - but nothing that concerns me).   

I wish you well in your journey.  You came to the right place.   All of the folks here are very supportive and positive.   No matter what method you use, you came to the right place.  You'll get through this!  Hang in there. 

Tim

#27 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:26 AM

Glad you are here with us♥

#28 chiggs

chiggs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

You know when i started taking them meds i was grateful to have them - i needed something to help me get through that time.  but my goodness if its so bad to stop taking them then why is it ok for the to prescribe them for goodness sake. 

fishingthat - Thanks its helpful for to know a possible window - gives me light a the end of the tunnel.

Timbo - I thought about it after reading these many many pages - but would be afraid of a setback or like it would be starting over.  and i have the pills - i had just renewed a 90 prescription.  but after all of this week, i am afraid to do that.  But, I've not been quite strong enough to flush them yet.  lol

Thank you all for being here.  I needed to place to talk . . . . and NOT on Facebook.   I always think the people we are related to and work with are the most judgmental.  If I am Cranky today - I don't want them to know why - they want to blame it on something. . . . as a supervisor, i  want them to just simply know they pissed me off. . . .  .lol

#29 chiggs

chiggs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Welcome Chiggs. You have been through a lot and my deepest sympathy for the loss of your parents. It sounds like you are a strong women if you can combat Crohn's desease on a daily battle.

The first 3 or 4 weeks of withdrawal are the worse with some slow, and I mean slow improvements. By the 8th to 12th week usually see signs of good days followed by bad days but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Now that is the average. And with quiting cold turkey you can usually add a couple weeks more to the time frame. I have known people who actually quit cold turkey without a symptom. And others where the withdrawal last 6 months to over a year but these are rare. Research says between 30 to 80% of people do not experience withdrawal while other research shows that around 7% experience withdrawal of 6 months or more. Obviously a lot of variation. The idea is to just take it one day at a time. Do not put too much pressure on yourself or it will just make things worse.

You are not alone. We are here if you need us. Feel free to complain, blow off steam or ask for a shoulder to cry on.

God Bless.

You know when i started taking them meds i was grateful to have them - i needed something to help me get through that time.  but my goodness if its so bad to stop taking them then why is it ok for the to prescribe them for goodness sake. 

fishingthat - Thanks its helpful for to know a possible window - gives me light a the end of the tunnel.

Timbo - I thought about it after reading these many many pages - but would be afraid of a setback or like it would be starting over.  and i have the pills - i had just renewed a 90 prescription.  but after all of this week, i am afraid to do that.  But, I've not been quite strong enough to flush them yet.  lol

Thank you all for being here.  I needed to place to talk . . . . and NOT on Facebook.   I always think the people we are related to and work with are the most judgmental.  If I am Cranky today - I don't want them to know why - they want to blame it on something. . . . as a supervisor, i  want them to just simply know they pissed me off. . . .  .lol

#30 chiggs

chiggs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

oh . . . .  .i fit in to the extreme shopping category . . . . laughing really hard. I ordered 13 pair of sandals on-line last week in a two day period.  Now i do have to say i can wear them to work and have to look nice at work daily, slack, blouse nice shoes and i had not really bought any sandals in a couple of years and really on had 1 or 2 decent pairs left - had thrown the other all away - yes, i am trying to justify my actions.  ;-)

Why do I think shopping will make me feel better???    I do think this is a symptom while on the meds though, I've been doing this kind of thing for a couple of months.  I call it my mom and dad's shopping spree.  ;-)  but its got to stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users