• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada
  • why_joining:
    I need help and I know I will feel better if I can offer help to others

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Thanks FiveNotions

Now I know what has happened to my eyes.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hello FiveNotions, the reading is a bit too much for my brain at the moment.

But, I can say, while under Cymbalta,  I was having problems with my vision, thinking my glasses were dirty, kept cleaning them so often. Even took a appt with the eye doctor, even though I had one 6 months previously. Going down to 15mg  and then off the scrap, my vision found it's way back to normal. Yeah!

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

And I've been off the stuff for 12 weeks...my only remaining "gift" is optic neuritis....when it's bad it makes me nauseous ...vertigo...and red hot pokers in the optic nerves....simultaneously...oh yeah.....constant and extreme sensitivity to light...when it's bad I wear sunglasses even inside...and I'm a librarian whose work involves nonstop computer use....how the hell am I supposed to get back to work?

#5 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

And I've been off the stuff for 12 weeks...my only remaining "gift" is optic neuritis....when it's bad it makes me nauseous ...vertigo...and red hot pokers in the optic nerves....simultaneously...oh yeah.....constant and extreme sensitivity to light...I wear sunglasses even inside...and I'm a librarian whose work involves nonstop computer use....how the hell am I supposed to get back to work?

Wow!   Great information!  I was a similar symptom when I was still taking Cymbalta, but I just attributed it to the other effects.   When I was home, I felt like I was going into the cave - all of the blinds closed!    And working on my computer was awful.  Sometimes it was challenging coming to write anything here, since I got so nauseated looking at the computer. 

Thanks for shedding some light on that issue (no pun intended).  lol 

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

First laugh I've had today, Timbo ! "She'd some light" hahahahaha

Ditto on it even being hard to come here to read and post...my eyes are killing me as I type...

#7 Timbo

Timbo

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    Recently started tapering off of Cymbalta. Having bad effects and wanted to see if there were any ways to do this without having such a negative impact on my functionality.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

Haha...Ok, now I'm laughing...and I'm not even sure why!   There is nothing I can write, now,  that won't sound like a pun!  lol

#8 Rachealx4

Rachealx4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    Cold Turkey March 7, 2014 60mg Cymbalta (thank you insurance co!)
    On Cymbalta for 1.5yrs

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Is there a cliff note version of that link? ;-) ADHD + day 3 off of Cymbalta....reading isn't the easiest. Lol. I did see some one say something about light sensitivity....I just thought that it was because I have blue eyes and am getting older....lol....turned 40 in Jan. but seriously...I see halos, double white lines on the roads, rays, stuff like that...all effected by lighting. Anyone else have these?

Racheal

#9 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Rachaelx4. .I too have problems with light glares although it's during night driving..Mine I believe is age related...Although, during the day on a sunny day the bright sunshine does bother my eyes...I need to wear sunglasses. ..Hazy days and winter sunshine (sun shinning on snow) are really irritating for me...If my eyes don't get enough rest they tend to see a bit blurry..

This may be a cause from Cymbalta withdrawl or our eyes and age related...If do get my eyes checked regularly and feel no matter what ty he cause, the eye doctor will be able to help correct the problem..

I've also read others on this forum having eye problems from the result of Cymbalta..

Others will chime in and give you their experiences, in relation to eyesight, from this drug...

Best of luck to you....

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hi rachealx4.....sounds like what you're experiencing with your eyes could well be from quitting cymbalta...and thus a reduced level of serotonin in the brain....

Some of your probs as well Carleeta....and if so, unless your eye doc can give you serotonin supplements for your brain, no amount of fixing lenses will help....

So far, the one thing I've found...after carefully researching what it is, how it works, and whether it can interact adversely with anything else I'm taking....is L-tryptophan ....

It's a precursor to serotonin.....

5-HT > L-tryptophan> serotonin....

Here's what seems to be working for me....

To replace some of the serotonin that cymbalta is no longer providing, I first tried 5-HT...but it was too strong...it acted too fast in my blood stream and made me feel weird....

.then I tried L-tryptophan....like in turkey....

it seems to work .... A bit slower, but more gentle...and is effective in reducing my optic neuritis, blurs, zaps, etc...

don't get me wrong, I still have hours, or days, where the eyes are really bad...but usually it happens on the day following a day when I've done too much, didn't wear my sunglasses, or didn't get a good night sleep....

I started with a small dose of tryptophan, by pouring powder out of the 500 mg capsule....I gradually worked up to where I'm taking 2 of the 500 mg capsules about every 4 or 5 hrs....and just before bed....I don't wake up with any eye problems now....if I get them, they come on later in the day....

Also for my eyes, in addition to tryptophan, I take omega 3 (that's good for lots of stuff); glycerine; and lecithin......and am currently researching what else might help....oh yeah, and sunglasses...always...when it's bad, even inside!

#11 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

FiveNotions. .I do definitely agree with you...It could all be related to Cymbalta. .Although I don't suffer from the horrible problem you have with optic neuritis. .I don't wish that on anyone...It's simply not fair to you to have this problem..It's so this a cause of cymbalta? I do know the issues with my night vision where there prior cymbalta for me..They were checked and that problem is age related for me. .

When I do get blurred vision every once in a while and lasts only a minute or so, it's due to eyes being very tired from eyestrain..Also prior to cymbalta...My sensativitity to lights were also were also prior to cymbalta and more of a stress related issue and eyestrain..Having said that...after cymbalta could have more of these issues and I will take that into account and I thank you for that..

Rachaelx4. .FiveNotions has giving some great advice here and I would definitely recommend you reading what may help you..Also I would recommend if your eye issues continue to also please have them checked out by an eye doctor. .Your sight is very important. .

Please keep us posted on your progress...

#12 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

White computer light has been increasing my headache (which has been constant for 3 solid weeks). The back light seems to be the culprit. Ultimately I blame this on crapalta.

If I can turn the back ground to "black" it is healpful. :) Gotta roll with the punches.

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Oh yeah, I agree xman.... I have "dimmed" my ipad, kindle and computer to the point where they're almost black.... I went to see The Hobbit in 3D a while back and had to keep my eyes closed during almost all of it.... don't know about the movie itself, but I enjoyed the sound track... Hehe

#14 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Dah--Good idea-to dim the light. About a week post-crapalta I saw Gravity. Luckily I was at home...I'll stay away from the Hobbit for now. :ph34r:

#15 MsJenny

MsJenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthern WI

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Since reducing Cymbalta I have developed a floating black spot in my left eye. It moves around and is annoying.

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

I had that too, Jenny.....but mine didn't move around...I lost the lower left quadrant of vision in my right eye....it was bad for about a week....then slowly faded....rather, lightened....hang in there....be careful if you drive!

#17 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I had one of those black "floaters" too....  I think it was only for around 7-10 days and then it went away.  I also had the weird peripheral vision of someone (in a robe, perhaps) having just swished past me...

Some of these are really strange, but my Dr. knew about them and told me they were part of the withdrawal.  I also had very sore eyes  -  was using Visine a lot :(  (Yes, I am fortunate to have a Dr. who studied this stuff and the only problem was that he was not very happy with me for not talking to him before I went off the crap - I wonder what his suggestions might have been...  No point in asking since I had already been off for about 4 months!)

#18 MsJenny

MsJenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthern WI

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Good to know that this is a withdrawal symptom. My Dr won't be happy I am taking myself off either. I am wondering if there is anything else I can take or do I suffer through without anything.

#19 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

Jenny, do you have any Benzos - Xanax, Valium or such?  If not, I'm sure that your Dr. will give you a RX to help you through this. I used Alprazolam (Xanax) and took a bit more than the prescription called for, but it was of great help for the anxiety!  I also have Hydrocodone since I have fibro and arthritis and it also helped with the excessive pain induced by the withdrawal.

I'm sure the eye problem will clear up shortly, and I offer my support for your horrible journey, but you WILL make it!  We all have and it sure was the trip to hell, but it really ends - trust me!

Take good care and be kind to yourself...

Liz

#20 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

PS  Jenny...

Are you planning to use bead counting here?  What dosage are you on?  Please continue to ask questions, as we can help!  That's what we're here for, so please post with whatever is bothering you or just rant if you need to!

#21 MsJenny

MsJenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthern WI

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Jenny, do you have any Benzos - Xanax, Valium or such?  If not, I'm sure that your Dr. will give you a RX to help you through this. I used Alprazolam (Xanax) and took a bit more than the prescription called for, but it was of great help for the anxiety!  I also have Hydrocodone since I have fibro and arthritis and it also helped with the excessive pain induced by the withdrawal.

I'm sure the eye problem will clear up shortly, and I offer my support for your horrible journey, but you WILL make it!  We all have and it sure was the trip to hell, but it really ends - trust me!

Take good care and be kind to yourself...

Liz

No I don't have anything besides ibuprofen on hand.

#22 MsJenny

MsJenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthern WI

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

Yes I am bead counting. I was at 30 ml, I am at -72 right now, I started dropping to fast for me. Ten percent at a time, I had really bad side effects. Now I am doing one or two beads a day. That seems to be better,still having extreme hot flashes and I still have the eye floater, this I day 8 of the eye floater. Bead counting is not that easy.

#23 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:45 AM

Since reducing Cymbalta I have developed a floating black spot in my left eye. It moves around and is annoying.

Hi Miss Jenny, same here, floating black spot in the left eye. Had all the tests done, seems like it's , in french, peaces of the vitrée qui se décollent. Cant translate, french here.

Still have it, got used to it. Nothing to be alarmed with, just annoying. It can happen at any age, we are lucky, people can have several black spots, I have only one. At first It scared me, now with the tests done, well, nothing serious. We do get used to it after a bit of time,

Happened on my last month on crapalta.

#24 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

MS Jenny. I think you need to stop the drop for a while and let your body catch up. A drop like 10% can cause enough withdrawal to last 4 or 5 weeks in some people. Waqit til you get feeling better and then go back to 1 or 2 beads per day. It will take you a while but you will get through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users