11 replies to this topic

#1 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:35 AM

Hello, so this is day 26 off the 15mg.

Nausea has been there for a while, but tolerable. The last 4 days have been so awful, can barely eat but manage to get in a bit of food. Besides that I feel erk!

I read about ginger, Fn mentionned it, I cannot tolerate it, makes me want to vomit.. Crackers, one piece at a time. What else can I try?

On the good side,I managed to take a walk yesterday,  I have brief moments of being normal during the day, but I would say that since the beginning, now is the crappiest time I've had.

And the eternal question, from your experiences, how long does it go on?

Thank you, I know that this has been written often, by myself and others, but again, I do need your reassurance, I feel like a kid lost in the forest. I need someone to hold my hand, and the crying starts.

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Oh gosh, Gail.....ain't nausea awful....the first 3 weeks were the worst of the nausea (and vertigo/dizziness) for me...then it faded...slowly but surely..... You're in what is, for many of us, the hardest part of the process....hang in there!

Any chance that you've got a flu bug or some such? And if the "high test" ginger doesn't work....would plain ginger ale be ok? Other things that helped me with it were:

I'm editing this to add: try to stick with clear foods...soups and broths..and things like saltine crackers, avoid milk and dairy products, and don't try to make yourself eat anything...you stomach needs to rest ...

1) Laying on my left side, because of the location of the stomach and the digestive track; 2) either cold or heat...weird, but early on in the nausea phase I found that putting an ice pack on my tummy, right over the stomach was soothing and comforting.....then, a week or so later, I stopped wanting cold, but warmth...so I hauled out my old heating pad, put it on low, and held it against me; 3) licorice tea (tea bags from health food store) and/or a little bit of licorice candy (note: licorice can increase blood pressure); and 4) slowly sipping a bit of room temperature Gatorade....

Other home remedies that I didn't use are: 1) PeptoBismal; 2) sipping cranberry juice; 3) mix a small amount of lemon juice with honey so that it's kind of thick...put a little bit on your finger and just lick it; or 4) brewing a tea with one of these spices - cinnamon, cumin, clove or fennel.

Before trying any of these, sort of "run them through" your mind...whichever one(s) appeal to you are the ones to try...or, ask your body if it's craving something in particular...amazing, but it often will tell you clearly what it needs to feel better...

As for the emotions...tears, anger, even rage...they swung wildly the first month off, and with no advance warning ...then that also slowly began to fade in about the second month....

As for the general feeling of "will this ever end," Fishinghat has said to me during several of the rough spots....give it a couple more days....I'd be feeling like I was lost in some deep dark forest...like Fanghorn, if you've read or seen The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit.... And so I'd drag myself through a couple more days....or even part of a day...and sure enough, what I thought was going to never end, did...evaporated like mist....and I'd be so happy I'd kept on with the struggle....

So hang in there....this awfulness is not forever...and when you start coming out of the forest, and see more and more clear days, I assure you that you'll see...feel...how worth it all the struggle was!

Edited by FiveNotions, 18 March 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#3 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

gail,

FiveNotion has great ideas. The GI upset is still w/ me but not like the 1st week. I used the ginger ale. Bought a ginger root too--take a nible here and there. I gave up coffee for tea...  give the above ideas a try.

So sorry for you and the misery you are going thru-we feel your pain and KNOW you will get beyond it. Your body is detoxing itself. Lying on your left side works very well, when you are supine. Think BLAND. toast...

#4 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks, but I am too exhausted to reply, know that I appreciate your thoughts, Gail

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

We've all been there, Gail....no reply necessary....I'm praying for you!

#6 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Gail..ughh..that nausea..It is horrible...Some suggestions I might add, just like Xman...The ginger ale. .The real brand and no generic..

Also, definitely crackers which you are taking. .I have another suggestion which might be helpful, and I say this because my poor daughter - in - law is experiencing morning sickness from her first pregnancy and having a difficult time..We have purchased a few things for her which seem to ease her nausea some..One is a wristband, sold at Walgreens for nausea for morning sickness during pregnancy, another is some sort of hard candy (in the form of a lollipop) sold at maternity stores..It wouldn't hurt to check out or call maturity stores and inquire...Check out the morning sickness bracelet too at Walgreens. .Maybe Walgreens online if there is no Walgreens close to you...They might help some..

I hope you start to feel better soon. ..Rest is good. .

please keep us posted...

#7 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hello, so this is day 26 off the 15mg.

Nausea has been there for a while, but tolerable. The last 4 days have been so awful, can barely eat but manage to get in a bit of food. Besides that I feel erk!

I read about ginger, Fn mentionned it, I cannot tolerate it, makes me want to vomit.. Crackers, one piece at a time. What else can I try?

On the good side,I managed to take a walk yesterday,  I have brief moments of being normal during the day, but I would say that since the beginning, now is the crappiest time I've had.

And the eternal question, from your experiences, how long does it go on?

Thank you, I know that this has been written often, by myself and others, but again, I do need your reassurance, I feel like a kid lost in the forest. I need someone to hold my hand, and the crying starts.

I had nausea off and on the entire time that I was withdrawing from this poison. I would take Zoloft when necessary. Tonight was my LAST dose forever of this Cymbalta crap. Hang in there. We are here to support you all the way. :hug:

#8 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Gail, I know of those who have taken Dramamine, the car sickness med, and have had good luck. You would need to check and be sure it is compatible with any meds you are taking.

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thanks to all, what a journey! the nausea is very low today, ginger ale and crackers. Ate small meals.

I also feel, strangely, that I am giving birth to myself. All that nausea, it's analogic to a pregnant woman , gettting prepared to giving birth.

Again, too exhausted, but , in a strange way, I sense the faith for something better or different to come.

I am giving birth to the real me.

It may seem weird, but that is what it says inside myself. Geez, as you can remember, I'm french speaking and the translation might seem strange. 

Bottom line, my faith and my hope are stronger today. Because I beleive you cannot go through something so awful without something positive coming out of it.

And, through all, equuswoman, I think of you and your last bead swallowed. Again, all of you, thank you!

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi Gail, so glad the nausea is better! And I love your image of giving birth to yourself....I used that as well in a post I made just a few weeks into my withdrawal....the feeling that I'm giving birth to myself .... And that's what's happening to me...I think to all of us....a new life, or phase of life, is coming into being....

I just hope I don't get stretch marks .... ;-]

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

But with the horrible withdrawal it feels more like a c-section. lol

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions