137 replies to this topic

#91 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks you all for caring.. I'm doing a bit better.. not so intense.. better days ahead for all of us..  Blessings... I guess I had some choices to make and I did.. When ya just can't function any more.. you have to do what ya have to do to make your self comfortable.. I have suffered enough over the past 10 years, it takes an enormous amount of energy to cover up the suffering which is what I've been doing through all of this . I've done what is considered right , and may be for all the wrong reasons.. But I'm in a new place in my heart knowing right well it's time for change. Just making that transition is a tough one all around. but I feel the change will come in it's own way...........

#92 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

dlmj

Day 9. I'm cheering for you.

#93 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

This Moment I'm cheering for you as well. Day 9 and how are you doing.. Hoping better that I was a couple days ago.... My poor rock came home with a cold today so I have to be his rock. Day 6 for me...

#94 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

dlmj

Oops I thought it was day 9 for you. It's day 660 for me! I'm doing just fine!

#95 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

dlmj

Oops I thought it was day 9 for you. It's day 660 for me! I'm doing just fine!

Ha ha ThisMoment ..660 days !.. But who's counting ?...
I'm interested to know if you have been left with any lingering s/e's ... ?..:-)

#96 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

Wagtail

After 42 days of tapering off by bead-counting, I swallowed my last bead on July 31, 2012. That was 22 months ago (approximately 660 days)!

I have two lingering side-effects that are probably permanent-- tinnitus in my right ear, and a constant (24/7) tension-type headache that I've had since i began the withdrawal more than two years ago (perhaps I tapered off too fast- I don't know).

Currently I take no drugs of any kind, and no supplements.

I know that you have pushed through the withdrawal fog, and it's been a pleasure to watch you get to the other side!

#97 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

I'm pushing through but not done with the brain fog.. mornings are the worse..  but yes 660 day and who's counting ... good for you....!!! I to have constant headaches.. it's terrible.. Every day... it's a constant battle.. and ringing in my ears.. BUT for me all this has been part of battling lyme disease as well.. I've had relief and  good health at one point short lived which is usually part of lyme.. Sooo I'm not sure as I mentioned before if it is the drug.. or the lyme disease.. Very confusing. and frustrating... But at least for now.. I'm not taking the cymbalta. Good for you and I'm so happy to have good support for all you folks while going through this. Life should be easy... But it's not.. and we deal.. Are you all able to work while going through this.....

#98 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

dlmj

I could not work for the 42 days of withdrawal and 6 months thereafter.

#99 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

God that is soooo maddening.. that having to take time off form work or ever lose a job over this drug.. I'm out of work due to my back right now.. so I figured it was a good time to do this.. I've not been feeling well at all... be glad to be over this.. Have you been able to return to work now and function??

#100 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

dlmj

All okay now, but I needed to be off for the 42 days of weaning, plus I needed an additional 6 months off for the majority of the symptoms to settle down to where I felt normal enough to work. It wasn't perfect, but it was adequate. Since that time (I'm out a total of 22 months) things have continued to improve. 

I'm not complaining.

#101 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Wow amazing... how this screws ya up.. I've not shared with any one I worked with this part of why I'm out... I still feel terrible better that I was be still have a long way to go.. I guess I have to realize this will be a long process seeing i was on this crap for aprox 10 years.. big change for my body...

Thanks for the support...!!! much appreciated....

#102 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Well, my own feeling, a strong one, and said despite the fact I've ended up on welfare for health insurance and food, and am paying rent out of my retirement savings.....is that your health needs to come first....trying to keep working may just be more than your body/brain and soul can handle right now....

How much more medical leave for the back issues do you have left? Are you eligible for short term disability? Or do these not exist in the UK?

Also, how is the UK disability insurance process set up? Would this be an option, as a back up emergency plan?

#103 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

I'm not in the UK, I'm in USA. I am on long term disability for my back with  ins. from work they are  keeping a close watch on my progress. I have an appointment with the surgeon in a couple weeks.. They are weighing either my return to work or perm disability depending on what his opinion is.. All I know is I can't work right now. My GP will have to weight in as well as she is the one who pulled me. I have other issues as well. we will have to see if they weigh in. at some point.. I agree , your health has to come first. and For years I've not put it first.. I've fought to continue to work.. I finally couldn't  any more.. and for some reason I knew I had to leave.. Hard decision but one I had to make..

#104 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

And kudos for making that decision!

#105 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hi all just wanted to check in to say hey and see how every one is.. I'm doing much better now.. I've been off the cymbalta now for over 5 weeks.. I did have to stay on the Prozac but the bad withdrawal affects I was having have pretty much gone now. BUT headaches a lot still and dizzy spells.. but I can function better.. I'm still nervous about coming off the Prozac. and not sure when I will do that. I will be scheduling surgery for my back next week a huge decision for me.. But it's my only option to regain my mobile life back.  I've exhausted all other options.  I can't walk  very well. Gosh I'll be glad to get through all this.. what a freaking mess. For any one new to this weening off cymbalta keep in mind it took me over a year to do this... and I'm just new to being free of the drug.. I'm gonna get this done... It's a promise I made to my self..

Thank you for your support it meant a great deal when things were pretty rough and I have a feeling it will get rough again... at some point. for now.. I feel a bit more stable and moving forward.. Blessings to you all... :wub:  I'll be back !!!

#106 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hey dlmj...

Thanks for checking in...  happy to hear that you are now 5 weeks off!  Congratulations on a job well done! :)

There is no rush to come off the Prozac - there is plenty of time for that.  The important thing now is your back surgery and I want to wish you the best.

Please keep us updated - so good to hear from you! 

#107 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Dimj, hey there! I've been thinking about you!

Congrats on 5 weeks Cymbalta free! And TFL is right.... don't even think about the Prozac for now, the back surgery and healing from that are your main priority ....

Please do come back regularly and let us know how you're doing .... especially an update on the surgery ...

Hugs and prayers!

#108 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

dlmj

Good work! As TFL and FN say, don't fret about the Prozac. It's not about drugs vs no drugs-- it's only about quality of life. Cruise for a while and take care of your other medical issues.

The headaches and dizziness will fade over time. Take care.

#109 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

TY for you support and well wishes... much appreciated..I'll keep ya posted on my progress.. I'm just thrilled to be finally off... huge accomplishment....

#110 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

It is indeed a HUGE accomplishment .... so much so that I think the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts should have it as a Merit Badge option :-D

#111 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

It is indeed a HUGE accomplishment .... so much so that I think the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts should have it as a Merit Badge option :-D

HAHAHAHAHA.. your to funny....

#112 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Ok I'm back and have a couple questions to those who have successfully come off this horrid drug.. As you know I've made that transition.. and of course it not been easy. I had been doing better with the use of the Prozac... MY question to you all is... After a few weeks being off did you start to have terrible headaches? And did you have problems with your memory? I've started with terrible headache for the past week with no relief even with the used of medication given by my Dr. for it. I'm also having a hard time remembering simple things... both are worry some.. any in put helpful.. Thanks and have a great day!!!! oh I also found out with an X-ray that I have significant degenerative disc issues in my neck which I'm sure can be contributing to the headaches. Enough so that my Dr. is ordering an MRI.. soooo much fun..

#113 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

dlmj

Headaches were a big issue for me. And yes, the headaches and cognitive issues like remembering things are pretty standard fare for discontinuation. My memory is fine now.

Hopefully you will find some relief from the headaches- by the way, what type of headache is it? Inside your brain headache, migraine-type with light-sensitivity and nausea, or tension-type mostly around the front and sides of your scalp?

I did spend a good deal of time and money (and medical resources) chasing down phantom symptoms for which the medical people could find no origin (typical for the discontinuation set). Had x-rays, MRI, hearing tests, blood tests, eye examinations for suspected retinal tear, GI issues, hernia, muscle and joint pain and so on. I could have been put on another SSRI for Fibromyalgia-like symptoms but I waited and the symptoms all went away after about a year.

It would be nice to get an answer on your headaches- nothing OTC would help my headaches- they are very debilitating. Most of the symptoms will leave within the first 6 months or so. And don't be worrying about the Prozac- get stable and comfortable before looking at that. And you may not want to come off that at all- there are no rules, only quality of life matters.

This isn't meant to spook you, but my headache has never gone away and it's been over 2 years since I took my last Cymbalta. It could be permanent, but in my communication with Dr. Shipko the other day he did say that improvements continue to happen well past the 2-year mark in discontinuation. Discontinuation doesn't have an "ending", things just continue to improve more subtly with time. But I think there comes a point when we just forget about it and accept whatever artifacts we are left with.

#114 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

dimj, great to hear from you! The post-Cymbalta effects seem to vary by individual, while yet having many commonalities .... and it sure sounds like you're solidly in the (lifelong) phase of discontinuation recovery, and are really making the best of it as you continue to work your way through the questions and challenges ...

I don't think it ever becomes "recovered" as in past tense, been there, done that ... but, like TM says... is ongoing ...

For example, at 7 1/2 months off the C, I don't have headaches such as you seem to be having, but I still have bouts of optic neuritis ... stabbing pain behind the eyes, along with extreme light sensitivity ... during the second or third month after quitting the poison, this was non-stop and excruciating beyond words.... now it has faded almost completely, but returns, in a much more mild way, when I get over tired or over excited or over emotional ... so in order to manage the optic neuritis, I need to manage/monitor my activity/excitement/emotional levels ...

As for the memory thing ... aw geeze, yeah ... I'm still missing chunks of my long term memory ... not just from the 7-8 years I was on the stuff, but also from the years before that... this is improving over time, however...bits and pieces continue to come back to me, so I feel sorta like I'm putting my personal jigsaw puzzle back together... and the short term memory is still flakey as well... I can't hold a thought/focus very well, and I have to keep an detailed list of what I need to do...right from "wash the dishes" up to and including the specific/detailed steps I need to accomplish in order to keep my job search going.... I have great difficulty reading...both focus and retention... my reasoning ability is banged and dented as well..

That said, I see steady and gradual improvement in my memory and cognitive abilities over time...

I'm sure, and quite accepting of the fact, that I'm likely to have some permanent "artifacts" ... like mementos from a vacation or an important event ... that remain with me for the rest of my life ... which is actually a good thing for me, I think ... because I do not ever want to take for granted how wonderful, and how "hard fought/hard won" my life after Cymbalta is ...

Please continue to come back and let us know how you're doing! ... we need to hear from those who've successfully gotten of the stuff, and are re-integrating and recovering ... you can offer so much hope to those who arrive here at the beginning of their journey!

#115 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

dlmj

Headaches were a big issue for me. And yes, the headaches and cognitive issues like remembering things are pretty standard fare for discontinuation. My memory is fine now.

Hopefully you will find some relief from the headaches- by the way, what type of headache is it? Inside your brain headache, migraine-type with light-sensitivity and nausea, or tension-type mostly around the front and sides of your scalp?

I did spend a good deal of time and money (and medical resources) chasing down phantom symptoms for which the medical people could find no origin (typical for the discontinuation set). Had x-rays, MRI, hearing tests, blood tests, eye examinations for suspected retinal tear, GI issues, hernia, muscle and joint pain and so on. I could have been put on another SSRI for Fibromyalgia-like symptoms but I waited and the symptoms all went away after about a year.

It would be nice to get an answer on your headaches- nothing OTC would help my headaches- they are very debilitating. Most of the symptoms will leave within the first 6 months or so. And don't be worrying about the Prozac- get stable and comfortable before looking at that. And you may not want to come off that at all- there are no rules, only quality of life matters.

This isn't meant to spook you, but my headache has never gone away and it's been over 2 years since I took my last Cymbalta. It could be permanent, but in my communication with Dr. Shipko the other day he did say that improvements continue to happen well past the 2-year mark in discontinuation. Discontinuation doesn't have an "ending", things just continue to improve more subtly with time. But I think there comes a point when we just forget about it and accept whatever artifacts we are left with.

Yes the headaches are debilitating to say the least.. and I guess I was in denial as to being ok.. after stopping this freaking drug.. but the past two weeks have been bad.. My husband finally realized this AM that the memory issue is real as I can't remember from day to day where he is working as he is all over the place with his carpentry work. The headaches start in the back of my head up around top to forehead and into eye's and m y brain hurts.. so for now once day at a time.. and I do believe the degenerative disc going on in my neck is contributing to all of this... Part of the problems is I do not have a DR. that realizes the impact this has on any one. I'm on my own.. I'll get through.. it.. but need lot's of time I guess... Thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it.. I knew this was the place to get confirmation to what I suspected.. being on this for 10 years  will take a while to get my body back to normal...

#116 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

dimj, great to hear from you! The post-Cymbalta effects seem to vary by individual, while yet having many commonalities .... and it sure sounds like you're solidly in the (lifelong) phase of discontinuation recovery, and are really making the best of it as you continue to work your way through the questions and challenges ...

I don't think it ever becomes "recovered" as in past tense, been there, done that ... but, like TM says... is ongoing ...

For example, at 7 1/2 months off the C, I don't have headaches such as you seem to be having, but I still have bouts of optic neuritis ... stabbing pain behind the eyes, along with extreme light sensitivity ... during the second or third month after quitting the poison, this was non-stop and excruciating beyond words.... now it has faded almost completely, but returns, in a much more mild way, when I get over tired or over excited or over emotional ... so in order to manage the optic neuritis, I need to manage/monitor my activity/excitement/emotional levels ...

As for the memory thing ... aw geeze, yeah ... I'm still missing chunks of my long term memory ... not just from the 7-8 years I was on the stuff, but also from the years before that... this is improving over time, however...bits and pieces continue to come back to me, so I feel sorta like I'm putting my personal jigsaw puzzle back together... and the short term memory is still flakey as well... I can't hold a thought/focus very well, and I have to keep an detailed list of what I need to do...right from "wash the dishes" up to and including the specific/detailed steps I need to accomplish in order to keep my job search going.... I have great difficulty reading...both focus and retention... my reasoning ability is banged and dented as well..

That said, I see steady and gradual improvement in my memory and cognitive abilities over time...

I'm sure, and quite accepting of the fact, that I'm likely to have some permanent "artifacts" ... like mementos from a vacation or an important event ... that remain with me for the rest of my life ... which is actually a good thing for me, I think ... because I do not ever want to take for granted how wonderful, and how "hard fought/hard won" my life after Cymbalta is ...

Please continue to come back and let us know how you're doing! ... we need to hear from those who've successfully gotten of the stuff, and are re-integrating and recovering ... you can offer so much hope to those who arrive here at the beginning of their journey!

Thank you for you insight , it means a lot as I feel very alone and on m y own with all this.. as I mentioned to this moment.. I have no Dr. that understands or has acknowledges this horrid drug.  I guess I need to take it slow and try to keep my emotions in check although hard at times. I'm fortunate  that my husband is supportive.. and on my side. I have far to many issues to deal with here.. so.. one day at a time.. for now. Thank you for you time in writing and helping me to understand what I'm up against... Blessings

#117 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

As you all know I've finally come off the cymbalta.. and holding my own. But this is difficult I sure can attest to that. I'm in a couple of support groups for my back issues, and one thing I see coming up often is the DR.'s putting people on cymbalta for pain.. One woman decided to stop the drug abruptly and went on to say how sick and how much pain she was in,  Then she went on to say she had to start the medication and felt so much better. HA... so a few of us who had obviously been thought the withdrawal went on to tell her what she was experiencing.. and the restart stopped the withdrawal.. I try to educate folks and worn them of the dangers of addiction and sever withdrawal.. I'm trying but of course as you all have probably seen people don't want to hear it. They want instant relief.. So with that I am grateful I've come this far and only look forward to getting better... Thank you....

#118 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hi all,, How is every one??

I'm still off the devil drug.. but boy I've had such headaches the past month.!!! They seems to be getting a bit better.. but I was also having issues with my cervical spine so My PCP sent me for MRI.. And I have about the same issues in cervical as lumbar... Yipppy Getting through this slowly.. I made the decision to move forward with surgery on my spine.. so no date yet.. but will be getting one soon.  Just wanted to  stop in.. say hi let ya know I'm still hanging in.. My head issues are slowly getting better.. but still have good and bad days with that....

#119 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Hi dlmj,

So good to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your back issues.  My best wishes for your surgery - please keep us posted as to your progress!

Glad that you're having good days... :)

#120 dlmj

dlmj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

Just checked my calendar as I've kinda lost track with all going on in my life.. 24th of Aug will make 3 months I'm off.. still having issues but can see slow progress... God  can't believe I got off and am this far into it now. Never through i would..

Ya my back is a mess my next adventure!! I don't know if I will ever feel good again.. but I keep fighting.. I had lot's of issues to deal with.. BUT I'm keeping my head high and moving forward and enjoying as much as I can with life... It still could be lot's worse... :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users