• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

Think ADD, disorganized and forgetful wife, mom of 5, lives on a college campus, crazy busy life. I'm immature enough to be an all-or-nothing lady, but mature enough to recognize and accept it.

Took cymbalta for maybe a year (possibly more...ahh! I can't remember!), and quit cold turkey 10 days ago on the challenge of a dear friend. I didn't think I could keep up with a scheduled weaning.

Doc had prescribed it as a miracle cure for seasonal affective and fibro-type symptoms. In reality I think I was in a mid-life crisis. I had been extremely high-energy and creative, life of the party, encourager. After a series of devastating life events, I kind of lost my spark, to quote my mom. So, took 60mg for however long. Only way to describe how I felt is that it took the edge off to where I didn't want I kill anyone, but I had no mental edge. Any sharpness I had was muted, and honestly I was indifferent to most people and events.

I'm in what I pray is the climax of this insanity?! Today I had decided I needed a doctor because of the scope of my crazy symptoms: vertigo, diarrhea, cramping, intense irritability, and a nasty case of road rage. And can I please sleep at night, not all day in what feels like a carb-induced coma? I'm not dying, right?

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hi Andy

No, you're not dying. But cold turkey from Cymbalta will make you feel like it.

It's not unusual for the high-energy, creative, memory, and emotionally up-beat aspects of your character to flatline on this drug. Also, you may find that other emotional elements have diminished-- like empathy, consideration, basic manners, personal care, and perhaps even hope. This happened to me, and I had to get off the drug.

The symptoms you report are common to withdrawal; I remember running to my physician a number of times chasing down phantom ailments that eventually went away.

How long do the withdrawal symptoms last? A variety of timelines have been reported, and clearly, some folks suffer more than others. It could be difficult for 6 to 8 weeks before you start to feel relief and begin to see light at the end of the tunnel. During the following few months you will enjoy much improvement, and probably be feeling quite normal inside of a year. But the withdrawal experience varies.

You may not return to precisely your pre-Cymbalta self, but you will emerge in a far better place than you were on the drug or during withdrawal.

Remember how Ulysses endured the Siren Song without madly running toward it? He had the crew tie him to the mast. You have to tie yourself to the metaphorical mast in order to pass through the Siren Song of your phantom ailments. Get mad, stay strong, and find an ally that won't abandon you when you get a little crazy and intolerably obnoxious-- this is a job either for a well-paid professional, or someone who unconditionally loves you, like your mom.

Road rage is something we bring to the road ourselves. Road rage is probably a good indicator of how we're coping-- when it's gone, we're probably doing well in our recovery. I found that talking to a psychologist helped. She introduced me to Mindfulness and Acceptance, and those strategies have proved invaluable.

Best wishes.

#3 Andy

Andy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thank you for your kind, thoughtful response. I love the literary reference! I'm an English major so appreciate a relevant art mirroring life scenario. Good picture. :) I refuse to take another but am fearful of throwing away the remaining pills. Ridiculous, I know. I have a great counselor who is on board with the timing of this "drug holiday," and my husband is very supportive. It's just nice to know I'm not alone. Thanks again.

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Andy

You're welcome!

Just keep the pills, and someday if you get invited to a 60's Scary Drugs I've Tried Party you can string them together and make a Spooky Pharmo Necklace! The capsules would look cool forming a macabre demonic grin across the neck of your tie-dyed tee shirt.

Take care.

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hi Andy, I'm so glad you found us!

Cold turkey is hard, but it can be done.....it will make it quite stressful for your family as well....which is one reason why you might want to reconsider and do the bead counting....it allows you to control the process rather than it control you....

I quit cold turkey, 60 mg for 7-8 years, almost 4 months ago....and I'm having far more good days than hard ones....

For me, the first month was the worst....I was bed- ridden for most of it....and it was a blessing that I don't have family responsibilities and haven't had a job during any of this process....I couldn't have fulfilled my responsibilities....however, I'm almost 61 yrs old, and one of our members, Fishinghat, recently learned from his psychologist that withdrawal may be harder. the older we are..... You're age will likely mitigate withdrawal in your favor....

All that said, every bit of the awful I felt was worth it to get my life...my "spark" ..... back again.... And it's definitely returning....

Please keep checking back to let us know how you're doing!

#6 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hi andy! Welcome! It's great to see you have counsel! I wish I had many years ago when I was put on Paxil then on to Cymbalta. Had I had good counsel to help with the challenges before me, I may not have need the crap meds!!! Best wishes to you! Keep us posted on your progress! Hugs and prayers!   clara :)

#7 sodone61

sodone61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • why_joining:
    Support and encouragement to discontinue duloxetine, which sounds like a town on Shrek

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yes, welcome.  I've lost track but I think I'm at like day 15 or so?  I am very sick.  I really don't feel capable of leaving bed right now but my friend is coming over and I promised we'd go get pedicures.  I can't even imagine it I feel so sick.  I'm not sure whether I should take a few beads and work down or not.  I did that before and the withdrawal did diminish but my face broke out immediately and it freaked me out.  I'm now thinking that might be something to tolerate so I can participate I life.  I DO NOT want to go back on it again. EVER.  Prayers for all for speedy recovery.  :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users