• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ghotspur

ghotspur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hey everybody.  This is kind of a last ditch desperation for me.  I'm usually pretty independant and deal with problems on my own but........I was only on cymbalta for around a year.  I was put on 90mg a day for manic depression and 2 anxiety disorders.  When I first started taking this I was feeling fantastic!  Oh man, everything just got better.  I felt great in the morning, no anxiety, happy everyday.  I decided to stop about 30 days ago due to complications with an existing heart condition.  I started bumping down 30mg at a time until my supply ran out.  The first initial drop to 60 was, well not good.  I started having psychotic episodes.  Completely lost touch with reality and time.  The drop to 30 went great.  I didn't experience any problems at all.  I was on 30 for about 2 weeks.  Then day before yesterday i ran out.  Yesterday was ok but today.....  God I feel horrible.  I woke up so dizzy.  It feels horrible.  Its advanced to shakiness at this point.  Really hard to type actually.  I have been having extreme mood swings as well.  Hostility and aggresion mostly.  However I refuse to take this anymore.  I started researching about withdrawal effects and was highly shocked how many people have problems, and what kind of problems they have with this stuff.  I'm hoping to find support to continue "the fight" against this.  As of now though I feel like I just want to die.  I'm not describing a suicidal thing here, just how bad I feel.  When do withdrawals start to wean?  Any help is appreciated!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Welcome Ghotspur. I hope this answers some of your questions and I also would like to apologize on a slow response from me.

OPTIONS

There are three ways to get off Cymbalta. Cold Turkey, swapping meds and bead counting.

I don’t recommend cold turkey unless there is no choice. The cold turkey withdrawal can be quite severe and usually lasts longer. With swapping meds you lower your dose of cymbalta over a 2 or 3 week level to zero and at the same time go on a different ssri with a lot less severe withdrawal, say zoloft, lexapro or prozac. Once you make the switch you slowly come off the new ssri. Very slowly. The third choice, bead counting, is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

DURATION OF WITHDRAWAL

The first 3 or 4 weeks of withdrawal are the worse with some slow, and I mean slow improvements. By the 8th to 12th week usually see signs of good days followed by bad days but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Now that is the average. I have known people who actually quit cold turkey without a symptom. And others where the withdrawal last 6 months to over a year but these are rare. Research says between 30 to 80% of people do not experience withdrawal while other research shows that around 7% experience withdrawal of 6 months or more.

#3 GinnyKim61

GinnyKim61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMicigan
  • why_joining:
    Withdrawal from Cymbalta.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Good post fishinghat. Thanks and I hope it helps you too Ghotspur.

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hi ghotspur, welcome to a wonderful place with wonderful people.....you can get off cymbalta, and we'll be here to help you any way we can!

Some thoughts and suggestions....

That you've had psychotic episodes after you drop to 60 mg concerns me....big jumps aren't a good way to come down....

Is there any way you can get enough of the cymbalta to reinstate and get stable, then come off it using the bead counting method?

Everything you're feeling is par for the course...especially quitting cold turkey...the feeling so sick you feel like you want to die...like you said, not suicide, just a way to describe how bad you feel...the mood swings...ah yes, from rage to weeping in seconds....most of us here have had all this....

Are you taking any of the basic supplements and vitamins? Daily vitamin, B-complex, magnesium, omega 3....

Does you doc know about what you're doing? Any friends and/ or family who can be supportive?

Take a look through the "nutritional supplements" and "what are you feeling?" forums....you'll get some more ideas thee....and there's tons of good info in the other forums as well...

Please keep us posted .... Feel free to vent, rant, list symptoms, whatever....that's what we're here for!

#5 ghotspur

ghotspur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

Unfortunately I am not able to take anymore. I have an odd heart condition which the cymbalta screwed with. Basically I'm just here for the support and ranting part. It really does help to hear from others that have had similar instances with this drug. No my doctor doesn't know about it. I've been wanting to get off for a while but everytime I go in my dosage gets upped. For the record, I have been on just about every ssri available since the age of 10. The withdrawals will pass eventually I know. I've had some major life altering events in the last 3 years and this doesn't make things any easier to deal with. I just can't wait until I get my life back. Its a fight to get through the day. As for support, I have a girlfriend who lives with me that I'm trying to explain everything too. She gets it and supports me but that doesn't make it easier. My biggest fear is for my son. I don't want him to see me like this. He's the reason I'm not dead. The reason I do everything I do. Hopefully I wake up feeling a little better tomorrow. I will try and keep people updated as to my experiences with this.

#6 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Welcome, ghotspur...  I am so happy that you found this forum as it will be of immeasurable help.  I went cold turkey 9 weeks ago and I understand the feeling of wanting to die.  This is probably the most horrible thing I have ever gone through physically.  I started on this poison about 4 1/2 yrs ago after losing both my mother and my daughter within 6 months.  I, too, thought it was the answer to the depression and I was also put on Lyrica for arthritic pain and fibromyalgia.  This stuff really messes with your brain -  you think you are feeling wonderful when you are really not feeling anything at all.  During the withdrawal process I also had horrible mood swings - Extreme rage and almost constant weeping for the first 2 weeks.  (I don't believe I have ever felt so much rage in my life) 

Some have had symptoms that I have not as we are all different, but yikes, what a trip!  I am still tired most of the time and in the first few weeks all I wanted to do was sleep.  I also had a constant headache for 2 weeks that made me think that my head would explode - I even woke up crying because it hurt so much.  The lethargy and lack of motivation are driving me nuts.  I now have more good days than bad, but it is a slow process.  I don't know how long this will go on, but I will not go back on that crapalta (a favorite word here!)

Everyone here is kind, caring, and we all have our bits of wisdom to contribute.  Again, welcome... you have just found some wonderful new friends!

Please feel free to just get on here to vent if you need to - we all have!

Liz :)

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

Ghotspur, I'm glad to hear that your girlfriend is supportive.....having love and encouragement from someone close is a wonderful thing during this process.... She and your son are going to love the new, non-cymbalta you! If it would help your girlfriend understand a bit more, you might want to let her read some of the items here on this site....

A note on your heart problem and how cymbalta messed with it.... Cymbalta gave me tachycardia and high blood pressure....for which the doc added two new medicines to my list of pills....almost immediately after I quit cymbalta, voila, no more heart problems for me....I hope that your own heart issue improves likewise!

Remember that what you're feeling...physical and emotional...isn't you...it's the poison ....and it means that it's leaving your body...the good moments, hours and days will start to arrive...and that makes all the struggle so very worthwhile!

Come here and vent, rant, whatever...as often as you need to....we share quite a few laughs with each other as well....you'll get through this....you're not alone!

#8 clearglass

clearglass

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGreater Philadelphia Area
  • why_joining:
    I joined for support coming and staying off Cymbalta. Also joined to hopefully offer support to others.

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Welcome Ghotspur.  I took my last cymbalta Friday, March 21st through bead counting.  This a a great support site, so come here as much as you can, even if you just read.

clearglass :)

#9 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Welcome ghotspur! Come here to ask, rant, vent, whatever! Yes, it does help! I'm glad you have your g'friend to support you! If your son is old enough to understand, maybe explain to him in an age appropriate language that you are not feeling like yourself and you may say or do something to hurt his feelings, but it will get better! Just a suggestion! take it easy on yourself and keep us posted! We're here for you!  clara :)

#10 ghotspur

ghotspur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Well today sucked. I now understand what brain zaps are. Off of a whim I started smoking again. Actually seems to bring some relief surprisingly. I imagine this is what it feels like during a heroin withdrawal. My body hurts. Went to the movies today and started crying in the movie. Between that and stumbling around like a drunk the day is kinda livable. Just have to fight through it at work this week. I applied for a managerial position at my company and I really have a shot so of course, all eyes on me. One day at a time right? 😉

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Sorry to hear about the bad day ghotspur. I hate to say it but the withdrawal is bad enough as is. No nicotine, alcohol, sugar, caffiene or other stimulant/depressant. Let your body have time to remember how to control its emotions by itself with out any more confusion then necessary. lol

#12 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

I was so sick during the first month of withdrawal my body wouldn't tolerate nicotine, caffeine, sugar/chocolate, diet cokes, or alcohol....so I guess that means I went through withdrawal from all of those simultaneously....which I'm sure factored into how lousy I felt.... And, I still can't tolerate any of those things....tried to smoke again, got sick....tried some chocolate, felt like my head was going to explode...ditto for caffeine and diet sodas.....haven't bothered to try alcohol...except for several Guinness stouts I had during the second month or so and that tasted good, I just don't want anything alcoholic....

Sheesh... Now I gotta' find some new bad habits....

#13 ghotspur

ghotspur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

Well day 5. I've gotten adjusted to the "zaps" I guess. Now the physical symptoms are here. Constant nausea and overall pain everywhere. Everybody at work thinks I'm dying lol. I feel like it for sure. Immediately stopped smoking. Was tired of the smell lol. I'm not having trouble sleeping thankfully but the sleep I get is definitely not enough. Waking up I feel decent. All downhill from there. Oddly I've noticed an extreme sensitivity to smells. Mostly everything makes me feel like vomiting. Come oooooooonnnnnn weekend.

#14 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

You have definitely entered the fun part now!! lol  Hang in there it does get better.

#15 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Welcome Ghotspur! Good suggestions are pouring in (always love FiveNotions sense of humor weaved in)! I can't drink coffee anymore as it will make me more nauseated. 10-4 on the smells...

Keep venting!

#16 ghotspur

ghotspur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Well I finally broke down and went to he doc. After I started getting the violent thoughts towards others and myself plus the blacking out, he put me on Zoloft for the moment. I have to see a psychiatrist now. I think I put this off for way too long. Even if you have an idea of what's wrong with you, it doesn't feel good to hear it from someone else ya know? Unfortunately withdrawal has seriously affected my work and general sense of well being. I go into this knowing I will receive the proper care I need not just for myself but for the ones close to me. Truthfully I'm not sure if I should stop on here or what lol. First time on a forum. What does everybody think? On a side note, the withdrawals got much worse. I haven't felt like harming myself in a looking time. What really had me worried enough to see the doc was not remembering anything. Its like I was losing hours at a time. Luckily it mostly happened while I was surrounded at work but still....not a comforting feeling mixed with the thoughts I was having.

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Ghotspur, I'm so glad you came back to share with us what's going on with you!

I applaud your decision to see the doc....and that you plan to see a p doc....it takes a lot of courage to make this decision and follow through with it...you saw the warning signs in yourself, and took positive action...bravo!

Like you, I'd never been on/in a forum before I arrived here....yet this place rapidly became my home....my safe spot....and the others here became...are...my family and friends....I can share anything and everything about my mental health and life struggles here, and know that I'll receive support, suggestions, and encouragement....without judgement ..... I can't share honestly in this way with co-workers, friends, or family....

That is precious to me, and is something I've never experienced...and it is helping me to heal in ways that docs and meds cannot.

Please stay here with us...you are part of this community...and we care about you!

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Sometimes things like that are just necessary Ghotspur. Hopefully you can get squared away and come of the zoloft some day. But in the meantime do what you have to do.

#19 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Ghotspur, please take FN's very informed advice - I agree and could not have said it better!  Great post, FN!! :D

We all know what a terrible trip this Crapalta has put us through and I, too, do not know what I would have done w/o these wonderful ppl.  They have become so very important to me.

Please stay with us and keep up posted as to your progress -we really want to help!

#20 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Ghotspur

Cold turkey is difficult, and the extreme withdrawal symptoms can drive us to re-start the drug or seek other medication. Hopefully the Sertraline SSRI will stabilize you. Should you consider withdrawing in the future, maybe do a slow linear taper spanning a few months.

Best wishes.

#21 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:07 AM

Ghotspur the input from the fine friends above is solid.

One if the main aha moments for me was my lacking memory...It is MUCH improved now, approx. 5 weeks after cold turkey from crapalta.

#22 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Well today sucked. I now understand what brain zaps are. Off of a whim I started smoking again. Actually seems to bring some relief surprisingly. I imagine this is what it feels like during a heroin withdrawal. My body hurts. Went to the movies today and started crying in the movie. Between that and stumbling around like a drunk the day is kinda livable. Just have to fight through it at work this week. I applied for a managerial position at my company and I really have a shot so of course, all eyes on me. One day at a time right?

On erowid.org there are a number of people who have quit opiates to include heroin and quit Cymbalta at some time. The general consensus is that the withdrawal from Cymbalta is considerably worse, but it is harder to stay off heroin because of the memory of the high.  

The positive effects (I had none but i understand that some people did) of Cymbalta are not sufficient to return to it after the withdrawal. 

That said I found one person on this forum I believe who has withdrawn from Cymbalta 3 times. I don't know whether to admire their bravery or simply question their sanity. - That said most people who take this crap are desperate. i vowed after Effexor I would never take another antidepressant. I even Googled Cymbalta when i was in Psychiatric hospital from my tablet and came across this forum. I still took Cymbalta. I suppose I imagined having come off Effexor I would be able to do Cymbalta.

With hindsight I have learnt it is a magnitude worse.

#23 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

Good morning BLD, how are you feeling/doing today?

Interesting info you found on erowid.org..... crapalta has all the downsides of opiate withdrawal, but none of the fun .....sheesh..... ;-)

#24 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

Ghotspur, I'm so glad you came back to share with us what's going on with you!
I applaud your decision to see the doc....and that you plan to see a p doc....it takes a lot of courage to make this decision and follow through with it...you saw the warning signs in yourself, and took positive action...bravo!
Like you, I'd never been on/in a forum before I arrived here....yet this place rapidly became my home....my safe spot....and the others here became...are...my family and friends....I can share anything and everything about my mental health and life struggles here, and know that I'll receive support, suggestions, and encouragement....without judgement ..... I can't share honestly in this way with co-workers, friends, or family....
That is precious to me, and is something I've never experienced...and it is helping me to heal in ways that docs and meds cannot.
Please stay here with us...you are part of this community...and we care about you!

I like this post !..:-)

#25 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I have read this more than once; that the withdrawal effects from crapalta are worse than heroin... I plan to do some evidenced based research on this today...maybe, if I can find some motivation! YIKES! :blink:

I had to do some testing at work on Saturday and found it extremely hard to concentrate. I use to be able to take a test by barely skimming the material. I had to constantly squint at the computer screen. The ambient light was playing tricks on my vision. Or was it the crapalta?

:DFiveNotions you make me laugh!!!!

#26 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

xman...  You are so amazing - I just can't imagine going to work (especially what you do) while going through this horrible withdrawal :(

YAAAAAAAYYY!!!!

Hang in there - trust me, it will getter better from here - I just finished my 10th week - more better days all the time! :D

Hang in there and don't forget to be kind to yourself!

Hugs and Prayers,

Liz :hug:

#27 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Gail....  how are you and how are things going now?  Hang in there and remember that we are all here for you! :)

Hugs and Prayers,

Liz :hug:

#28 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Thank you Liz for the encouragement! :D So week 10 and better days...YES! Music to my ears!

#29 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Thanks Liz, to hear that you have more better days than not is quite encouraging.

Must say that this morning, I had a glimpse of normality. And the morning went pretty well. Yup, there is light.

The last 4 or 5 days or 6 or 7were out of this world.

I must say that since dec , I have not had an entire day of peace. Even on crapbalta. This crap did something terrible to my mind.

It's a good thing it did nothing good for me, because if it had, I dont think I would have had the courage to go through the withdrawal, I would maybe have started on it over again, that's the plus side.

For those who were comfortable on cymbalta and quit, well, I admire your strenght.

#30 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

I wasn't comfortable on crapalta but there was a bit of a status quo in play. However, when I started dropping things and my memory, which use to be very sharp esp. with names, were failing miserably and noticeably, I knew what it was...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users