Photo

Has Anybody Been Off Cymbalta For 6 Months Or More?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

Faith22, I hope that yourdr warned you about the rebound effect with beta-blockers. Don't panic. It isn't as bad as Cymbalta for sure. Your blood pressure and pulse will spike and your heart will pound hard. It usually lasts around 2 to 3 weeks if you cold turkey. I find it much easier to cut the dose around 1/4 each week for 4 weeks. The rebound is a lot less and a lot more comfortable.

#32 Faith22

Faith22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for info , no the PA I saw thought my anxiety panic attacks while weaning alone with headaches were completed unrelated . Now off everything going on 3-4 weeks off betablocker , 20 weeks off cymbalta . Still feeling panicky some , do good for a day then mentally feel like I need to be back on something . :( hard to believe I will ever get through this !

#33 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Faith, you will make it. Just think of how much worse you were a few weeks ago. Hang in there!!

#34 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Congratulations on 20 weeks off crapalta, Faith! That's about how long it's been for me..... 5 months -- you're going to make it!

I know what you mean about the anxiety and thinking about...being tempted ...to go back on the poison just to make it stop....I came so very very close to doing that just a couple of months ago....and Fishinghat and the others here talked me through it....and then, the very next day, the clouds broke and I had a good, wonderful day....if I had caved in to the fear I never would have felt that....you've made so much progress since you first posted here....hang in there, the good days are increasing, the hard ones becoming fewer.....and life without cymbalta is just wonderful!

This may not ring true for you, but I'll mention it just in case....as I got further off cymbalta, my genuine emotions and feelings began to return....and I wasn't at all used to feeling....anything.... I learned that I was afraid of, anxious about, was feeling....like I'd forgotten how to be human....also, a large part of my anxiety post cymbalta was, and is, being anxious that I'll feel anxious..... crazy, huh?

#35 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Faith, listen to what FN has to say. He knows what he is talkng about. Just keep remembering the good days and when you have a good day don't over do it. That always seems to make the next day worse. Pace yourself.

#36 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

Faith22

You WILL get through this! 

When I was withdrawing I found that anxiety had a way of weakening me, scaring me into considering restarting the Cymbalta. I could live with the depression, but I found the anxiety deeply disturbing and destabilizing.

If you can find a way to subdue the anxiety, I assure you that it will boost your overall outlook during your recovery.

". . . feel like I need to be back on something."  Faith, that isn't a bad thing, and maybe you should consider some medication taken as needed to control the anxiety. There are several choices, and a benzodiazepine is one.  

Taken as needed, I found that within a week or so just the sight of the bottle in the medicine cabinet had a calming effect. I took less and less, and now I don't take any- but the bottle of pills is still there.

Best wishes! 

#37 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

My apologies FN. I accidentally called you "he". Sorry

#38 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hehe...no apologies necessary! I've been called much much worse. ;-)

#39 Faith22

Faith22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Thanks guys , a dose of encouragement is greatly appreciated!

#40 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

Faith22

How are you doing? Coming up to 22 weeks off Cymbalta!

#41 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Faith22 Hi sending you lots of encouragementment, hugs and prayers♥

#42 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Congratulations on 20 weeks off crapalta, Faith! That's about how long it's been for me..... 5 months -- you're going to make it!
I know what you mean about the anxiety and thinking about...being tempted ...to go back on the poison just to make it stop....I came so very very close to doing that just a couple of months ago....and Fishinghat and the others here talked me through it....and then, the very next day, the clouds broke and I had a good, wonderful day....if I had caved in to the fear I never would have felt that....you've made so much progress since you first posted here....hang in there, the good days are increasing, the hard ones becoming fewer.....and life without cymbalta is just wonderful!
This may not ring true for you, but I'll mention it just in case....as I got further off cymbalta, my genuine emotions and feelings began to return....and I wasn't at all used to feeling....anything.... I learned that I was afraid of, anxious about, was feeling....like I'd forgotten how to be human....also, a large part of my anxiety post cymbalta was, and is, being anxious that I'll feel anxious..... crazy, huh?

" Anxious that I'll feel anxious " or " fear of the fear " OH HOW I DREAD THOSE FEELINGS !!!

Very familiar feelings for me ... I start to panic @ the first fleeting sense that I can feel the anxiety rising ... this is the reason I keep Zanax in my medicine cupboard ... JUST IN CASE ..:-(

#43 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

What a difference a week can make !,

Last week I was feeling almost normal & enjoying a few GOOD days . I made it to my grandsons 3rd birthday party & enjoyed the company of my three children & their families.
The very next day I started to feel not so well & I've gradually worsened as the week went on.

Yesterday was one of those days where you do everything possible to keep it together, but after the news of a good friends daughter being diagnosed with breast cancer & undergoing a mastectomy ( brought on a bout of crying ) , then I had to get the gas man out to start the gas heater because it wouldn't start, some book work ( for our business ) , a phone call from eldest daughter needing some advise & help , a phone call from other daughter ( 3 yr old grandson needs antibiotics for chest infection ) , followed by phone call from cousin wanting to catch up ... Cooking dinner for husband ...ALL VERY NORMAL ACTIVITIES !!!' But it started feeling panicked & sick .

Today I am back on my lounge feeling miserable after a bad night of s/e's & I have a busy day ahead of me ...
I am supposed to go to my sons place for the weekend to celebrate Mothers Day & my birthday ....
I DONT THINK I CAN DO IT ... :-(((((

#44 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Do what you can. Don't beat yourself up about what you can't do. Imo it's not worth it. We are only human. One day at a time♥
Prayers from TheEquusWoman♥

#45 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Wagtail

That's quite a flood of activity and emotional upset that has descended upon you in a short time. It was more than normal- it was 'one of those days' that anybody would find challenging; it was beyond your control, but it just kept coming. And the demands go on into the future to Mother's Day and Birthday activities- more pressure.

I totally understand how these events can be destabilizing: You are still a little fragile, with emotions tender and new. Don't be afraid to say something like, "You know I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment and I need a little quiet time for myself". Take yourself out of the frenzy for some hours or days.

Take care of yourself.

#46 Jillybean

Jillybean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationU.S.
  • why_joining:
    To offer support to others who are suffering as I am!

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Actually I would imagine I am building tolerance to my lorazepam.  It never does work long-term for me and the manufactuerers say it is a short term benzo (4 months or so). Tachyphylaxis huh? Sounds like a girls name. You could just call her 'tachy' for short.  lol

It is not a long acting benzo. It is used for the quick response it gives. It is used in alcohol withdrawal for that reason and mimics alcohol in the brain. You will build a tolerance and that is the scary part because your body just cont to need more. This is what leads to addiction. I came off of lorazepam 6mg in Jan, 2014 while I was inpatient in the Crisis Center post suicide attempt. I was switched to clonazepam- this was created to treat seizures! I first weaned down on that (cloni) before weaning off of the cymbalta.

#47 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Wagtail... I agree with EW... you have had too much too quickly in your present state and you must remember to be kind to yourself! :) Only do what you are able to do - one day at a time..

Hugs and prayers,
Liz

#48 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

EW is correct. Your family loves you and will understand if you have to cut back your activities. We all half to learn how to manage our lives over again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users