• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sandyp

sandyp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Because this forum helped me understand what was causing the withdrawal symptoms I was having.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

I really want to thank the people that created this web site and have contributed postings. Thanks to you all that took the time to post your Cymbalta experience as well as those that provided support. This has helped me so much with understanding what was happening to me when I stopped taking it.

I was first prescribed Cymbalta when I went to my doctor because I was having trouble breathing and in a lot of pain after running out of pain medications. I have had chronic back problems for almost two years now due to torn discs and bulging discs pressing on a nerve down my leg. I was on travel for work and had an incredibly hectic schedule, which resulted in me prolonging seeing a doctor to refill my pain medications (I have been on Percocet/Oxycontin now because of my back). After a few days without pain medications I started feeling very sick and weak and was having trouble breathing (withdrawal symptoms from the narcotics). I went to the doctor for a medicine refill, but when I told her about my symptoms she also thought that I had an anxiety issue. I have never had anxiety and did not think this was the case and did not think I needed medication for this. I was stressed about work at the time as I was travelling and working many hours and I know that the narcotic withdrawal was causing issues. But when my doctor said that it could lessen my chronic back pain I was all about taking anything that would help and said yes to Cymbalta.

The Cymbalta actually seemed to lessen my back pain some, which was good, but the Cymbalta made me so very tired that it was incredibly difficult to wake up in the morning and I found myself taking naps whenever I could. The dreams I had because of this medicine were so vivid and continuous that it seemed like every day I woke up in the middle of a dream, which made it so difficult to wake up. My dreams were not all fun, with having some that had me waking up in the middle of the night almost screaming. I also would sweat so incredibly bad during the night that I would have to change my clothes because they were soaked. The final draw was when I almost fell asleep driving to work. I got 8+ hours of sleep the night before and was slapping myself in the face trying to stay awake. Despite this I think I fell asleep very briefly and woke up to see that I was starting to go off the road (a highway with a speed limit of 70 MPH). This is when I said enough of the Cymbalta and stopped taking it. At this point I was only taking Cymbalta for almost two months.

On my third day without Cymbalta I got incredibly sick. I felt like I had the flu. I consulted with my doctor and told her that I stopped taking the Cymbalta and she was not happy with my decision, but told me how to wean off the medicine so I wouldn’t have any side effects. I was on 60mg/day, and over two weeks I gradually cut my dose until I wasn’t taking any more. I went down to 30mg/day for a week and then 15mg/day for the last week. As I was weaning off my flu symptoms just about disappeared. But I was not ready for what was to come when I completely stopped taking Cymbalta.

About 3 days after my last dose, the flu symptoms came back. My nausea was horrible, throwing up 5-10 times a day with little warning from the onset of nausea to actually throwing up. I would throw up first thing in the morning and trying to drink plain water throughout the day would make me throw up. I was lucky to keep a bowl of soup down in the evening. I tried to eat at other times, but it would usually come back up within a minute. This was rather embarrassing at work as there was such short notice that I would have to throw up in the garbage can in my cube and did not make it to the bathroom every time (it is so gross throwing up in your mouth and having to hold it until you get to a place for it to go). I also threw up on my car numerous times and other places in public as I did not have time to pull over or find a bathroom. I was so tired that I could barely function. I had horrible headaches and brain zaps that made me feel like there was some kind of battle going on in my brain. These would get very bad with stimulation (any screaming or loud noises, which happens a lot with a 4 year old around). I could barely concentrate at work. I had problems sleeping. The pain throughout my body was so bad that I felt like I got hit by a car. I would get so easily angry and frustrated at the littlest things, and this was not good for my husband or my child. I would find myself screaming and getting mad at the smallest of things. The sweating and chills would have me standing in front of air conditioner vents one minute and hurled up under blankets the next. The misery had me wondering what was going on. My doctor did not tell me about the withdrawal symptoms, but I did see this web site and had an idea that going off Cymbalta might be the cause. But I felt so awful that I was worried it might be something else. I went to my doctor and had CT scans and blood tests done to make sure I didn’t have any other problems going on and all showed my body was functioning normally. I was thankful for this, but it helped me narrow down the cause of how awful I was feeling and I knew it had to be because of the Cymbalta. I asked my doctor about any possible withdrawals from Cymbalta and she dismissed this saying that the medicine could not be the cause as it should have been almost completely out of my system with the taper I did before stopping.

I was not satisfied with my doctor’s answer that it could not be the Cymbalta and checked this web site and others for Cymbalta withrawals and was amazed at how many web sites there were with stories on this. Reading all of these made me want to cry because I was happy to see that my sickness was not just in my head and also because I was so mad that I was not told about this when the medicine was prescribed. The withdrawal from this medicine has been hell and there are so many people that are going through or have gone through this. I really feel bad for what this did to not only me but also my family. I am fortunate to have a supportive husband who has been trying his best to help me get through this. I appreciate the patience he has had in taking care of the house and our son so I could rest to help me get through this as well as dealing with my misery and crankiness. I really feel bad about what this withdrawal has done to my son. He is used to me doing a lot with him and on most days the best I could do was lay on the couch or bed and apologize. I was able to muster up enough energy to care for my son when my husband traveled, but it was the bare minimum to feed him and bathe him and maybe read a few books or watch TV with him. I could not do the things that we usually did like play games or take him to the park. The worst feeling I had was one day when I was so sick and was throwing up in the bathroom for the about 5th time that day and I heard my son open the door and ask me “Mommy, are you dying?” He has seen what the withdrawals have done to me over a few weeks and he was very worried that I was dying. This made me feel awful. I tried to explain to him what was causing this, but being only 4 he didn't really understand and just hoped that I would feel better.

I am not sure if this medicine does help people. If it does it may be worth it. But I think everyone should be told about these withdrawals before they take this and doctors would take this into account before they prescribe this. If I would have been told about the hell I went through I would not have taken this. I think any patient should be afforded this knowledge. I am amazed at the blind eye that many doctors take to the symptoms that so many of us are having. Do they get endorsements or some kind of rewards when they prescribe this? There are so many people that are telling their doctors about these side effects and that tell their story on web sites like this. Why aren't the manufacturers require to state not only the side effects from withdrawals but how long they would last? I am not a violent person, but if I met someone who had a hand in advocating this medicine without stating the withdrawals that I think I would have mustered up the little energy that I had to hurt them because of what it did to me and my family.

On the good side of things, I have fully been of Cymbalta for three weeks and I am starting to feel better. Two days without throwing up has been nice. I still have the brain zaps, but taking Omega 3 like people have recommended on this site has helped. I still have chills and am still weak, but not stuck on the bed or couch like I was for the first three weeks off Cymbalta. I have been able to do more with my son and he is happy to have me able to do things again. I have been able to catch up at work and think that I was able to function enough to get my job done when I was sick, so thankfully it didn't get me fired or anything. My back pain has increased, but I am able to deal with it. I still take the narcotics to help, but I have tapered back a lot. I am continuing to see doctors for this and hope that I find one that will help me soon so I can get off the narcotics as well eventually.

Good luck to everyone that is trying to come off this medicine and hang in there as it will get better eventually.

#2 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

sandyp:

What a story. How are you now? Better I hope.

All my best....Houdi

#3 sandyp

sandyp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    Because this forum helped me understand what was causing the withdrawal symptoms I was having.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:00 AM

Hi Houdi,
I was feeling better for a few days but it seems as though I have gone right back to the starting point with how bad I am feeling. I am so tired and weak and back to having stomach problems. So just when I thought it was over I guess it isn't. But it has been a month now and I just keep hoping that I will be feeling better soon. I have read many postings here and think that I have even heard of the symptoms lasting as long as 6 weeks. So I am just trying my best to tough it out. Thanks...Sandyp

#4 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:57 AM

sandyp:

Hang in there! I do know how tough it is. And, it was especially disheartening for me when I'd feel better and think the worst was behind me. Then I'd feel bad again and be so upset. I didn't know that would happen. I really let it affect me. You have a great attitude and understanding. Good for you. So healthy. Stay that way and this forum is here if you want to 'talk'. Thanks for letting us know what is happening to you. All my best wishes....Houdi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users