27 replies to this topic

#1 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

After 7 days of planning to kill myself because of dreadful body zaps I decided to swallow my pride and get a prescription for some 30 mg pills.

I have opened a capsule and swallowed 50 beads. I guess I should know this afternoon if I get some relief.

I feel a bit dissapointed in myself after suffering hell for 8 weeks, but I was in a lot of trouble and suicide was a pretty final solution.

For my benefit I am noting the time I took the beads 11.15 (50 beads with 2 slices of bread)

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

Dear Bela's Dad

I'm so happy you picked up the prescription. It will help you find some peace and hopefully soothe your pain. 

I know about that corner you're in.  

Take care my friend.

#3 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Thanks so much. Absorption starts at t+2 and peak plasma levels are at t+6.

Fingers crossed.

#4 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

t + 3hrs.

Well the full on electric shocks have subsided, so Cymbalta was indeed the culprit. I really don't know how I got through the past month. Cold turkey is a very serious endeavour indeed and by all accounts I seemed to get a very rough deal.

Now that the electric shocks have gone I am able to gauge how beaten up I am. I feel like I have run a marathon and lost a boxing fight.

I think my experience matches the experience of some people I have come across in my research. There are some of us who cannot quit Cymbalta cold turkey and as much as we try and power through we hit a block. I am not going to dwell on it, but I am luck to be alive, very lucky. 

The problems peaked 2-3 weeks ago and I should have cut my losses then and proceeded with a conservative taper. In the bead counting method there is always the option to hold at a dose for a while or add a couple of beads if thinks get tough, cold turkey by definition does not allow this.

I was thinking of taking 50 beads from a 30mg tablet for the next 2 weeks until I recover a bit from my battering and then reduce 1 bead a day over 50 days. 

What do you guys think? Is that a good plan or a little too aggressive? 

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

BLD

Glad you're up and about again! Whew!

Yes, find the dosage that stabilizes you- probably no need to go to full dosage, and take some time there to take stock and count your fingers and toes.

The 50-day plan is a good one, but plan to level off when you need to.

I did a linear taper over 42 days without any level-offs, and it proved too steep and I suffered for some time after day 42. I should have either levelled off as necessary, or taken more time on a gentler slope.

From a full 30 mg I would do a 1% per day reduction over 100 days. There would probably be no level-offs, but I don't know.

Based on your last post, you are lucid and in command. Good work!

#6 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

t + 3hrs.

Well the full on electric shocks have subsided, so Cymbalta was indeed the culprit. I really don't know how I got through the past month. Cold turkey is a very serious endeavour indeed and by all accounts I seemed to get a very rough deal.

Now that the electric shocks have gone I am able to gauge how beaten up I am. I feel like I have run a marathon and lost a boxing fight.

I think my experience matches the experience of some people I have come across in my research. There are some of us who cannot quit Cymbalta cold turkey and as much as we try and power through we hit a block. I am not going to dwell on it, but I am luck to be alive, very lucky. 

The problems peaked 2-3 weeks ago and I should have cut my losses then and proceeded with a conservative taper. In the bead counting method there is always the option to hold at a dose for a while or add a couple of beads if thinks get tough, cold turkey by definition does not allow this.

I was thinking of taking 50 beads from a 30mg tablet for the next 2 weeks until I recover a bit from my battering and then reduce 1 bead a day over 50 days. 

What do you guys think? Is that a good plan or a little too aggressive? 

I am GLAD that you decided to take the Cymbalta again. That drug is NOT worth losing your life over. Get stabilized then do a slow wean if you want off this poison. I wanted off "now" and now was NOT the way for me..I quite cold turkey by accident one time it was hell. I followed the instructions given me per my pain physician and that was more hell on day #10. Went back on the drug and by the grace of God found this forum! I learned how to bead count and the rest is history as they say. I tried dropping 3-5 beads per dose and could NOT do it. Thus it took me over 4 months dropping "1" bead a day to slowly wean off this stuff. I still had some w/d symptoms but finally with the help of my beloved forum friends here made it through hell and 'back'....

God bless you. You are in my prayers. Please, please let us know how you're doing.

:hug: TheEquusWoman

#7 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

BLD are you putting the beads/ pellets in a separate capsule? You may have said and I probably missed this--you need to have a time release capsule...

#8 navywife43

navywife43

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

Don't feel bad about taking Cymbalta again. You have to do what is right for you! Hang in there!!!! I tried 6/7 times to get off Cymbalta and I am finally Cymbalta free for 7 months but only with the help of Zoloft. :)

#9 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the comments all. I will reply properley when I am nexton my computer as it is tough on my phone.

One question for the accumulated wisdom here: should I reintroduce the Cymbalta to 'bearable' or comfortable? At the moment I am at bearable.

#10 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

19:15 +50 beads (in capsule this time)

Total for today 50 (no capsule) + 50 (capsule)

Return of 'icy' body zaps at this time prompted taking current dose. Qustion arose about efficacity of taking beads outside of capsule earlier.

#11 sarahb

sarahb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

Oh my goodness, I do feel for you. I know you judge yourself but I have been through something similar from another drug and the doctor just told me that it was because I needed the drug. I knew it wasn't myself to feel instantly suicidal but it was so confusing a doctor not believing me that I thought it was a side effect. At least you know what it is. I am also glad you took the medicine. Hang in there. Your experience is helping me.

#12 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

BLD , do whatever it takes to Stabalize .... You are on the right track & as soon as you are comfortable & in control of your thoughts you will be strong enough to start the taper .
I wish I had done the same thing...
Best of luck ..:-)

#13 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

T+2 hours on second dose.

It's anazing how quickly this stuff takeseffect.

The pain is much less but at a considerably higher level than when I first started taking Cymbalta

The televiusion isn't funny any more, books are uninteresting and getting an erection is out of the question. I am glad that I made up for some lost time over the past two months.

So I am resetting clock and starting my Cymbalta withdrawal again in a more sensible manner.

I am trying to be positive about thigs which is hard, but I am restarting from 1/4 of the original 60mg dose that I was on so I am thankful for that.

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

BLD

Steady as she goes.

#15 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

BelaLugosisDad....Great news...It's all ok to go back and get yourself on a comfortable dose and regain all your senses and sanity..Once you feel comfortable, and I mean comfortable, then you can set up a plan of action and work from there...my prayers are with you!

#16 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Adam, I agree with the others here...you made the right decision....bravo!

Reinstate to comfortable, not just bearable....stay there until you feel stable and secure....you need to have time to evaluate what your body, mind...and soul....are feeling/experiencing.... Then, when...and only when...you feel ready to re-engage with the weaning, use the bead counting method....even one bead a day, like EquusWoman.....

Remove beads from a capsule, either discard those beads or save them to combine in another capsule...which can help save money on new refills....

NEVER take just the beads without them being in a capsule....

Fishinghat and EW are our resident bead counting gurus...they'll be able to walk you through the process...

You stuck it out through 8 weeks of Hell, including days of worse than Hell....this speaks volumes about your strength of character, spirit and determination to get off the poison and heal....

Now give yourself a nice long break from Hell....regroup, and stay close to us here.... Let us know how you're doing...frequently!

I'm praying for you!

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

PS..... If the 30 mg doesn't get you stabilized, go back to the 60 mg you were on originally....

Also, there's a small chance that because you've been off cymbalta for this long that it may not work as effectively, or in the same way, for you that it did originally.... Pay close attention...perhaps even keep notes (did you tell us earlier that you were doing this already?)

Fishinghat knows about this angle, I believe...as well as about the option of switching over to a different SSRI.....

But, first see how reinstating goes....

#18 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

Thanks FN.

Had a rough night, remembered very well why I stopped taking this drug. Insomnia, changed thinking confusion.

On the basis that the first 50 beads were probably damaged by stomach acid yesterday I have taken 70 beads this am in a capsule. Hopefully insomnia will improve taking in the morning.

My money is on some nerve damage. Lots of strange tingles, crackle and pops and tickles when I look at anything.

#19 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

70 09.30

#20 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

70. t+3.30hrs.

Well I guess this is a revelation. As I have only previously taken Cymbalta in the company of strong sedatives I had no idea how activating it is. And I have only taken 70 beads of a 30mg capsule. 

I am a little bit concerned as it would be unpleasant to go 'higher' that this, it is unpleasant enough anyway. The damage from the withdrawal hasn't fully subsided but it is manageable in the short term but certainly not the long term. I feel drugged up while the strange nerve sensations have certainly subsided are still very strong.

This is not pleasant and only marginally less unpleasant than the withdrawal i was experiencing. I am at a loss and quite frankly very afraid now. It would be just my luck to be one of the people who cannot resume taking Cymbalta. This all feels very different and weird.

#21 sarahb

sarahb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

It does make sense to stay at a particular does for a while (like 50 beads or whatever) before you go down again. One your body may need time to adjust and two you need to give yourself time to breath and regroup. And you can always come back and tell people what you might have done different if doesn't work out as hoped. Just my two sense. I know you will get through this.

#22 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

BLD-I would also recommend the bead counting for you specifically--Crapalta will take away your desire for intimacy. Period. It does so very many negative things to our bodies...

#23 BelaLugosisDad

BelaLugosisDad

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

I am terrified now. At 8.30pm I have added 10mg of prozac by liquid. Aiming for the cross taper. I saw my psyciatrist today and he was unable to offer much advise apart from saying that everyone was different in their withdrawal and to taper in a way that was most comfortable to me.

He did say that he had never heard of a case of Cymbalta withdrawal in his practice of 10 years. He asked me to keep a diary so he could file an adverse drug report. He was very interested to hear about the forums and reinforced that the only way psyciatrists would be able to do something is if people reported their problems.

#24 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

BelaLugosisDad. ..Try telling yourself.."slow down mind"...Every time you do this you give yourself a breather from getting anxious and slow down your thought process...No its ok if you need to go up to more cymbalta to feel comfortable...You need to feel comfortable enough to stay stabilized...Please try and calm down..and stay calm...Even go for a walk or walk where you feel comfortable, even if it's inside your home....It's wonderful you went to your dr...yes keep tract of everything for your dictor...

We are right here with you....

Keep posting if you need to...

#25 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

BLD, do you have any Zanax or Valium to help settle yourself ?.
Everything you are posting sounds familiar to other stories I have read from other sufferers ... Don't be scared it is all part & parcel of the withdrawals .
You are strong enough to get through this , albeit very hard , I have been where you are & came through it . It takes time & you need to be kind to yourself .
Expect the worst & you won't be disappointed ..it's damn hard but it's doable .
The Cymbalta will do it's best to stay in your system & make you think you need it ..it is a fight that you will need to be VERY STRONG & DETERMINED to win .

Hang in there & accept the dreadful feelings as just that , FEELINGS !.
Say to yourself " they are just feelings & feelings can't kill me !... Thinking of you from down under here in Australia ..:-)

#26 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Moved to 'Designer Disease'.

#27 CatLeeJones

CatLeeJones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationCanada USA
  • why_joining:
    I need to stop the chemical taking and heal the problem, not the symptoms.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

Dear BDL,

My heart goes out to you in a large way.  What a tough row you are hoeing in this journey.  Have you read my journey.  Maybe what I am suggesting can be of help.  It has been helping me a lot.  

https://www.cymbalta...nd-ashwagandha/

#28 Xanazul

Xanazul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, Spain
  • why_joining:
    Fnding cues for what I am feeling. Hopefuly giving others cues about this distressful state of mind and body we are all going through.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

BLD
Because CLJ posted here yesterday, I though this was a recent topic posted by you. I realize is not.
However your last post was april 15, I wonder how are you doing now.
Hope a lot better than three weeks ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users