#31 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Alprazolam RX is for 2 mg/day.  They are 1 mg tabs. I took one at 415am as I had awakened at 315 and couldn't get back to sleep (the mind started going again... :()  I just took another now. 

I see my therapist next Thurs. and my PCP is in same bldg.  I will try to have them "squeeze" me in so that I can talk about the Valium after I see the therapist.  (They are both out in BFE so try to do both at the same time!)

I would guess that it was OK to take another alprazolam now, as it has been almost 9hrs since the last one.  If I get tired, I will take a nap.  I have been on the alprazolam since before I started the Cymbalta - almost 5 yrs ago now.

Perhaps it IS time for a change - you are right!  The anxiety has been growing since I got off the poison...

Thank you all and God bless

#32 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

Ah, there's yet another reason for the increase in anxiety....alprazolam loses it's effectiveness over time...and you've definitely been on it long enuf for it to stop working well....it also, over time, can actually increase anxiety...which is how I got addicted...my jackass doc back then had me on it for years....when I kept complaining that I was still feeling anxious, he just kept upping the dose rather putting me on Valium....by the time I decided to quit, I was using up to 12 maybe even 14 mg per day! Took me two years to get off it....

Can you move your doc and therapist appointments sooner....go ahead, tell them it's an emergency....also, why is your PCP prescribing the benzo...why are t you seeing a psychiatrist? They may be idiots, but they do know more about these drugs than almost any PCP....

#33 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

PS....just the fact that you took half in the early hours, and now, just 9 hours later, you needed to take the other half...your total rx is for 2 mg per day....that means that to stay level, you'll need another 1 mg in another 9 hrs....is total of 3 mg....and possibly another 1 mg before bed...a total of 4 mg in less than 24 hours is needed ..... .nope, it's not the right benzo for you!

#34 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

I have no problem with FN suggestion on the valium but I am not sure this would be the time to take a benzo. It may make you more drowsy and tired.

#35 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

FN and FH...

In defense of my PCP, I saw him about 3 weeks ago and told him about my withdrawal.  He gave me a brief lecture as to my doing it without talking to him first, as he said he had studied this earlier on.  I read him all my symptoms and he was familiar with all of them which really surprised me - I have no idea what he may have suggested when I decided to quit the poison as it was certainly irrelevant at that point.

I just now called his office and explained my problem (crying at the same time) and they are going to have him call me.  We'll see...

I specifically mentioned Valium.  He has been my primary doctor for only about 6-7 months as I was becoming unhappy with the Dr. I had been seeing for yrs. His answer to almost everything was "you're getting older".  Cripe - I KNOW THAT!   How can I feel better??

Sorry for the rant - had to get that out!

Meanwhile, I will wait for my new Dr. to call :unsure:

#36 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

I don't blame you for crying. This is a scarey situation. I am impressed he knew about cymbalta withdrawal and I am interested to see what he says. Keep us posted.

#37 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

Agree with FH as to crying....completely normal and appropriate to the situation....(and just think, if you were still on cymbalta you'd be numb completely to emotions...which is not normal and appropriate to the situation!).....

And likewise about the doc....wow, you've got someone who gets it....wonderful!

#38 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

PS.....stick with FH on the benzo advice.....I'm a total newbie to Valium and how to use benzos properly ;-)

#39 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

ok, just received call from PCP's office.  No answer about the valium - nurse said he wants to send my to Psych.  Told her  NO - maybe he has forgotten that I see a therapist downstairs from him and have been for almost 5 yrs. (Longer than I have been seeing him!)

I said I only wanted to switch to Valium and she is going to get back to me again!   ARRRRGGGG..... :angry:  Now I'm not as happy with him as I thought I was.  God only knows what will happen now...  I will probably have to call back on Mon.

We really are treated like inferior types, aren't we ??? 

#40 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Stick with this guy, I think....he knows about cymbalta,which is amazing....and he's the one who put you on alprazolam. So, he's the one you need to talk to about this first.

A referral to a psychiatrist might be helpful, but that's not the immediate issue. You've got a therapist you like and with whom you have a good long relationship. And you've got an upcoming appointment. That's excellent. Stick with that.

Docs can't just switch prescriptions for this type of med based on a phone call. They need to see us in person, an office visit, to talk about it with us in person. He may, however, be willing/able to authorize you to increase your dose of alprazolam. BUT my concern is that you've been on it so long that this might make your body dependant on it.

Fishinghat, please weigh in here!

What I was hoping was that you could get your appointment with him moved earlier in the week since you're having such a rough patch here, even if it would mean a second trip to the therapist later this week.

Now I'm realizing that making two trips to their offices is likely just going to add to your stress. Not a good plan, and I withdraw the suggestion.... :-)

#41 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

No problem FN...

I originally called to try to get in on Thurs. of next week to talk to him about this.  Don't know what the nurse told him, but no answer on the appt., only he wanted them to set me up with a Psych.!

I have been on the Alprazolam for probably 15-20 years - before I even moved to FL.

I am so disgusted now, I feel like going back to my old Dr.  He is the one who directed me to my therapist.

#42 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hmmm, I'm mulling on this...about going back to your previous doc...I sure hope Fishinghat joins in here...he's very practical about things like this....

Did both the current doc and the previous one handle your cymbalta (and/or any other antidepressants you've taken) and alprazolam rxs? Did your PCP up north do likewise?

I guess I'm surprised that a PCP is diagnosing and treating depression and other psych conditions, rather than a psychiatrist who specializes in this area. You see, I've always had my psych meds prescribed by a psychiatrist. And, I was referred to my very first psychiatrist by my therapist.

Yep, we need Fishinghat and ThisMoment here to help....it's actually good, I think, that the doc himself didn't call you back today. Now you've got the weekend to get some good input and develop a sensible plan of action.

And, most importantly, how are you feeling now? Is the alprazolam still holding?

#43 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:
    I am here to gain support and support others

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

good evening all,

I'm on day 2 of switching back to Celexa and have been having zaps and drowsy all day...I feel like I'm
mentally sleepwalking if that makes any sense. I'm just not able to make any decision or drive anywhere soI'm taking the next 2 weeks off work...as suggested by a senior member here....;o))

I want my life back...it's been stolen and I'm angry....i know it's temporary but I'm single and haven't been able to socialize very often...On top of that I have a voice disorder and will need botox to sound normal...this is all way too much...and I'm taking care of my mom and have fibromyalgia...How much can one person take? I know it can always be worse, right? Cancer is worse.

As a Christian, I have faith that God knows what's happening and has a good plan for me but this is testing my faith big time..

Tonight I blew up at mom because she is in constant pain and keeps asking me to help her, what we're eating tomorrow, etc....I couldn't help it...then I went downstairs and sobbed...

Is anyone else having a new symptom pop up willy nilly every day? It's scary not knowing what will happen to me tomorrow...!

Thank you for listen to me rant...it's just one of those days...Blessings to all!

#44 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Well, with that much going on in your life, I'd be worried if you were not ranting! Likewise for the anger you're feeling...it means you're waking up and feeling again...and it's entirely justified anger. That's definitely a good thing! And ditto for the sobbing. What you need is a big hug...I sending one your way now!

I'm just thrilled you've given yourself time off from work to heal!

What you're feeling on the crossover to celexa sounds like what I felt years ago when I went from Paxil to celexa. I don't think it'll last more than a couple of day. Fishinghat will know more.

Is your mom's health such that you can try to explain to her what you're trying to do, and how it's causing you to feel right now?

Do you have anyone else to help you care for her?

Do you have to have the Botox treatment soon, or can it be postponed until you're feeling better?

Fibro I know nothing about. Except that a friend of a friend is using chinese herbs with great success.

Yes, God does know what's happening and has a plan for you. An He also understands if you're impatient with Him and angry and afraid. He's your best friend, as well...feel free to yell at Him and nag Him. You'll feel better, and all He'll give you in return is more love and understanding. That's why He's God. It's His job. ;-)

#45 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

FN - yes both my older Dr. and the present one have prescribed the Crapalta.  Original Dr. actually treated my grandmother (he had new practice then), and then my mother and then, me.  I was seeing him when I lost my daughter and couldn't stop crying and he is the one who started me on Cymbalta.  Dr. in NC started me on the Alprazolam when I was living up there.

Never have seen a Psych - always a therapist of some type.  That started back in the early 70's outside of Chicago - he was a Pshychiatric Social Worker.  I have seen several over the years, but none who could prescribe.  (Egads, I' m sounding like a basket case again - there actually were YEARS  when I didn't see a therapist!)

Am feeling pretty good right now - Alprazolam is working...

#46 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Guys, I don't know if you want me to weight in now or not. Internet went out on computer around 3 PM. I have been working on it since. I will restrain myself from telling you my emotions. I just caught up with your posts but need to go back over them. Be back in a minute.

#47 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Works for me. So glad you got back on line! I gather the effort to do so involved a certain degree of frustration....;-)

#48 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

OK, First of all Xanax (Alprazolam) has a half life of 11 hours, Valium 1 to 3 days. Either one can work well in controlling anxiety but of course like some medicines it will work for one and not another. I think the key here is what FN said earlier. Benzos are a short term use drug. Most literature says only use for four months at a time. The reason is that it still retains effect at four months but starts to slowly fade after that. That is why so many get addicted to benzos. Instead of the dr switching to a different medicine, even another benzo, instead they just kick up the dose like what happened to FN. There is a condition often referred to as 'benzo fatigue' that users (about 10%)  suffer if the benzo is starting not to work or you are going through benzo withdrawal. It is not really a sleepiness but more like you are just wore out and don't .have the energy to move. Sort of like you weight 600 lbs and it would just be too hard to move your arms and legs. Frequently accompanied by burning eyes. Now most drs prescribe benzos for years with no concern for building up tolerance. To leave you on it 5 years is ridiculous. That is because most dr are idiots (It felt good to say that, lol). I will say the Valium will give you a more uniform coverage for your anxiety. Less ups and downs.

The dr situation....Well your pcp does seem to have some understanding of the meds because he/she new about the Cymbalta. Changing from this dr back to the old one. You have to have confidence in your dr. You have to be able to work with your dr including communicate. That is something you will have to figure out for yourself. Drs see too many patients and don't always remember the past history well. You have to be his/her memory. Don't hesitate to remind the dr of ANYTHING.

FN - Yes, much frustration.

#49 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

I think TFL said she's been on it for 15-20 years.

#50 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

TFL said in earlier post "I have been on the alprazolam since before I started the Cymbalta - almost 5 yrs ago now."    But now I see the later post.

"I have been on the Alprazolam for probably 15-20 years - before I even moved to FL."  Thanks FN.

#51 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Thanks, FH...

Looks like I'll be calling my current pcp again on Mon. to see if I can get in to talk to him.  I'm sure he doesn't remember what we talked about 3 wks ago...

There have been days (many, in fact) where I have only taken 1 Alprazolam... I only take 2 when the anxiety is really out of control

#52 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:56 AM

I just can't beleive that after this long it still has any benefit. Incredible.  I was also thinking last night that it wouldn't take this long for you to develope benzo fatigue. But who knows. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

Good luck with the drs.

#53 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:
    I am here to gain support and support others

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Well, with that much going on in your life, I'd be worried if you were not ranting! Likewise for the anger you're feeling...it means you're waking up and feeling again...and it's entirely justified anger. That's definitely a good thing! And ditto for the sobbing. What you need is a big hug...I sending one your way now!

FN,

Thank you for your kind thoughts and love...God bless you today!! Your virtual friendship means a lot...

Today I feel much better! I'm taking the day off to watch Hercules...a new movie on cable...

Mom has hired home health aids to take other shifts so that's awesome...

my voice is better today so yes, I will postpone the botox...God knows I don't have to speak in a soft whisper for 2 weeks..

TIF...I echo Fishinghat...hope everything works out with maybe switching to Valium...We need to advocate for ourselves, and thatnk you Fishinghat for your knowledge!

Have a great day guys

#54 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Surprise, surprise!!  I had a call from my pharmacy today to say that I had a RX to p/u - and it was Diazapam!  So my pcp came through after all...don't think he had been given the right info by the one I had talked to in the office...

Fishinghat, I took an Alprazolam (1 mg) this morning - new RX for Diazapam is 2 mg to be taken at bedtime - just 1/day.  Can I immediately switch to that tonite?

I am so thankful for your knowledge! :)

Thanks in advance...

#55 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Shouldn't be a problem. By bedtime the alprazolam will already be half out of your system,

#56 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thanks, FH! 

I so appreciate your help and knowledge!! :D

#57 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

Sorry ,folks, but I need to vent a little here!

What is up w/this???   I took a 1 mg Alprazolam this am and felt good all day.  Tonite at bedtime I took a 2 mg Diazapam and I am still awake at 125 am.  What do I have now - anxiety over a new anxiety drug??  The longer I stay awake the more the anxiety goes up!

AAAAARRRRGGGGG :angry: 

#58 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Very strange TFL. Sometimes a benzo can cause that reaction. My suggestion is to try it one more time tonight. If the same thing happens it is time to call the dr.

#59 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback, FH!

Welcome to Venting Part 2:   I never did sleep last nite and I usually get 7-8 hrs a nite, so I am feeling terrible - very disconnected and irritable.  This is only the 2nd time this has happened since I have been off the poison.  The first time I was unable to get my Alprazolam refilled due to a pharmacy screw-up.

I took a Hydrocodone at 530 and all it did was to help me to lie still.  The dogs slept well on my bed, however, even if I didn't.

Sorry to be so negative so early in the am, but I am miserable! :(

#60 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hello Liz,

The equation is wrong here. That is why you did not sleep.

1mg Xanax equals 20mg diazepam(valium), not 2mg

If my counting is good, what you took is the equivalency of one tenth of the Xanax. A wee bit, very wee bit.

No wonder you may feel like going up the wall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users