401 replies to this topic

#331 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

TM - good advice on pain meds. I've dealt with chronic pain most of my adult life (I'm 43).  Some docs don't like to prescribe pain meds and as patients, we're always leery of being labeled as "drug seeking" but used properly, pain meds can be very effective. If Cymbalta were classified as a pain med instead of an anti-depressant, everyone would be screaming about the horrible withdrawal effects and how we are all "addicted" to Cymbalta!

FN - funny you should bring up acupuncture.  I just made an appt with an acupuncturist and an ND. The appt isn't until July but I'm hopeful it will help!

#332 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

Just thought of this... another option for pain management are Lidoderm patches, although some insurances do not want to pay for them (my new insurance included... grrrr).  Anyway, I used them for years. You wear them 12 hrs on / 12 hrs off; they are patches with lidocaine. I usually wear mine overnight on my lower back and neck.

#333 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Those patches work great Tria. Excellant suggestion.

#334 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

One more option for pain is Emla cream, which has lidocaine and prilocaine.  I use it on my face and neck, and I think it's meant mainly for smaller areas of use.  Definitely not as good as the Lidoderm patches but it does help, and I can throw a tube in my purse to carry with me.  I like the cream and the patches because they don't have systemic effects, they just work right where you put them!  If you are using multiple products with lidocaine, make sure your doctor knows.  Too much lidocaine is not a good thing, although I think you have to use quite a bit to have problems.  And if you use the cream or patches, never cover the area with anything tight (a tensor bandage, etc).  This can make the body absorb way too much lidocaine and that can be very serious. 

#335 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta has been a nightmare, I need some answers and shared experiences.

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Ive never heard of the Lidoderm patches - will investigate. Thanks for suggestions.

#336 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

AM, how are you feeling today?

#337 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi FN

Ive been swimming rigorously and doing gentle pilates exercise - and the pain has decreased significantly.

Talked to my doctor yesterday - she suggested I wait 3 months before we add pain relief if needed. She has had patients coming off Cymbalta have increased pain for months (as we all know!)

I'm feeling like Im through the worst of it - Ive just got to pace myself and not draw any firm conclusions about what's what!

Feeling shyly excited that it can be better. 

#338 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

Gosh, AM, that's just wonderful news! Swimming and Pilates! And your doc sounds amazing...she knows about getting off cymbalta, knows about the pain associated with it, and suggested a reasonable approach for you.... :-)))

I like your description... "Shyly excited".....and yes, pace yourself, leave room for days when you don't feel so great....be gentle with yourself.....

And you better not abandon us now that you're really on the mend...we need your wonderful outlook, experience and gift of expression ..... Keep posting as often as you can....you'll help so many others who come after you!

#339 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Thanks FN

I wont be abandoning anytime soon - it's so important to hear from people at different stages of the process isnt it -

I owe much to this forum - it's been an amazing point of reference and support.

xx

#340 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:50 PM

AM

I see your wise doctor tied you to the mast. Good move; more than a few doctors would have offered an SSRI.

Hang in there! You get this, and that's part of the solution. Hang onto that doc.

#341 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:56 PM

Hi TM

yes -  faith in my gp restored. I went through a period of distrust, but she's very open and 'collaborative' in her approach. She was very interested in hearing about this forum too - took it as iniatiative and not as a threat to her professionalism. (as Ive experienced with a previous doc)

all good and getting better. :)

even starting to re-consider PhD...that seemed utterly IMPOSSIBLE a month ago! I must be improving...

#342 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

AM

I'm happy to see you up! The doctorate is back on the table; let it emerge in its own time (just thought I'd mix up a metaphor for you- I think I owe you one).

#343 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:49 AM

Thanks TM

I feel far from smart enough to do any study - but I feel interested again.

'Interest' is a sign that things are improving I reckon - far from that deadening, muted sense of depression that shuts the world out...

I feel 'friendly' again too, less anxious around people - strange how locked away and disfunctional you can become without even knowing it.

#344 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

AM - I was encouraged to read that your dr has other patients coming off Cymbalta who are experiencing increased pain. I'm hoping this is what has been happening to me, as my muscle pain seems to be getting worse since I started weaning off.  Gives me hope that one day this pain may be gone, or at least return to its "normal" (and more bearable) level!  Sounds like things are starting to improve for you, that's wonderful!  Fingers crossed that it continues!

#345 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi Tria - it encouraged me too. Alas I am having a very painful day today - I guess it just fluctuates. When I first started weaning it was excruciating!

I hope it smooths out for us as time goes on. Hope your 'normal' comes back soon.

#346 Trichick1964

Trichick1964

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    Aren't we all here for the same basic reason...the horrible side effects of this drug

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

I'm just getting started with the weaning process but I did notice muscle spasms almost immediately.  I get them normally in my feet, but boy are they bad now, and in my calves, hands, etc.  I didn't start Cymbalta for pain, although it's a nice side benefit, so I wonder what will happen with my overall pain level as I come off this nasty drug.

#347 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:14 AM

Hi Trichick

I can totally relate - since going off Cymbalta 6 weeks ago Ive been grappling with diabolical muscle cramping. I too had a pre-exsiting tendency to muscle spasm - but it's very much worse now and was one of the first symptoms as I weaned off the drug.

I'll be interested to see how you go - mine isnt letting up unfortunately - but Im hoping.

p.s magnesium helps!

#348 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

I think it is been said before, but 2 AM: I had severe joint pain muscle aches cramps etc. etc. for many weeks after my last crapalta intake. I really think it was related to fluid shifts in the joints and this took a long time to resolve. I initially started this drug in order to control pain related to chronic condition. As well as the depression related to said pain. I am now at approximately four months plus and do not have that severe joint pain any longer. So there's a positive and I need to keep this in mind. Thank you for that and I hope you feel better and I know you will given time. My best to you all.

#349 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

I don't/didn't have fibro or other specific muscle/joint conditions like some of you (well, arthritis, but I'm not counting that) .... but I did have muscle spasms, muscle "zaps" like little electric shocks, and generally painful joints and muscles ....

what seemed to help me a lot was taking hot baths with Epsom salt....

I also took, and am still taking, chelated magnesium...and omega 3....

And, I became best buddies with my heating pad ;-)

Then, when I finally got some strength back, I took a yoga class for seniors ... and used the steam bath afterwards......oooh....wonderful....

#350 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

xman - it's so encouraging to hear that your muscle and joint cramps got better. My joints are hellish at the moment - my feet keep locking up I have to manually move the big toe joint back into position before I can stand without pain and my hypermobility is being really impacted upon by the cramping. My back and neck cracking and shifting in bed all night (oouuuchhhh).

very nervous - repeating the mantra "give it time."

p.s this is embarressing - but did other people have increased soft tissue pain? My abdomen, skin and breasts are very bad - it hurts to put clothes on. :( (nudity not an option ;) )

#351 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

Oh yeah, my "girls" were very cranky....did not want any tight clothing or rough fabric touching them.... ;-)

#352 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

wow - that's interesting! Did it subside?

I feel like my hormonal cycle is totally out of wack since kicking Cymbalta actually.

#353 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

Oh yeah, my "girls" were very cranky....did not want any tight clothing or rough fabric touching them.... ;-)

Don't feel bad. The reason I had to come off the Cymbalta was sexual changes that included gynomastia. Unluckily the change is permanent so 'my Girls' have been sore for a year and a half.

#354 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thats incredible, so sorry FH - awful.

#355 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Fishinghat, I think you've got "guys".... if you've really got "girls" we have a whole different issue happening :-D

AM, yeah, the girls are back to normal....quiet, shy and basically cheerful ;-)

#356 AnotherMind

AnotherMind

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
  • why_joining:

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:57 PM

FN fab to hear that 'your girls" calmed down.

and if we are talking 'guys' and 'girls, perhaps mine are 'indeterminate chest structures' - as I have male chest hair and large 'structures'...nothing shy at all unfortunately. LOL.

I cant blame Cymbalta for that one..

#357 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:33 PM

AM.....I am laughing out loud....too funny!!

#358 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:59 PM

The entities of which you speak appear to have minds of their own. It seems you could be having a peaceful evening alone yet simultaneously enjoying a sizzling round of Canasta for three!

#359 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

TM - LOL :lol:

#360 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

FN

I have to stick with gals because they said I have come close to lactating twice in the early stages of my gynomastia. High estrogen and prolactin. Yup got stick with girls.  lol

I have of coarse been on testosterone since Cymbalta caused it to crash in late 2012. If my T drops too low it causes mild depression. If my testosterone gets near the middle of the normal range my body starts changing it to estrogen. It is very difficult to keep it in the right range. I work at keeping it under control, I sure don't want to become a tranny!!  lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users