49 replies to this topic

#1 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

I was not sure where to put this post, so here it is.

I thought it would be great for people to share the books that inspirated them while in withdrawal or not.

Title, a few lines on the subject. Here goes my first one:

BROKEN OPEN , HOW DIFFICULT TIMES CAN HELP US GROW.

By Elizabeth Lesser.

Exploring one of the most compelling questions of life: How do we emerge from suffering and challenge with real, encompassing wisdom and love?

Easy reading, funny at times, but that book, I could not put down.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Good idea Gail. Many read when going through withdrawal to keep their mind occupied. Inspiration books should help give then hope and strength, Great idea!!

#3 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Gail, interesting point to which I totally agree....Anything to swith emotions around to the positive side help our happy and content emotions. ..Great Advice!

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Here's a book.

FOCUS-The Hidden Driver of Excellence
By
Daniel Goleman

The secret to high performance and excellence that leads to fulfillment is 'attention'!

Goleman says we have a fixed bandwidth of focus, and therefore multi-tasking with 100% focus on each task isn't possible-- if you're doing 5 things at once equally well, the most focus and attention each can get is 20%.

The book shows how to hone your focus and why it's so critical.

#5 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

Thismoment. ..Interesting....whether this applies to a male or female? Females are able to multitasking much better than males, as where males are able to stay on a single task fully due to their tunnel vision...The male brain and female brain are quite different from each other. ..hmmmm just wondering which see Goldman is referring to! Interesting findings no less!

#6 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

"Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus"  --made me think of these books by (?) Gray.

#7 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Thismoment. ..Interesting....whether this applies to a male or female? Females are able to multitasking much better than males, as where males are able to stay on a single task fully due to their tunnel vision...The male brain and female brain are quite different from each other. ..hmmmm just wondering which see Goldman is referring to! Interesting findings no less!

Hi Carleeta

I don't recall Goleman differentiating among the genders. I think the salient point of his thesis is that our focus has a fixed bandwidth, and if you're doing two things equally well at the same time- each can only get 50% (max) of the total available focus power. Some endeavours require closer to 100% to be done well, regardless of which of the (perhaps) five psychological genders is undertaking the task.

The author asserts that highly efficient multi-tasking is an illusion. He says we should learn how to do one thing with near-total focus.

We are, however, able to drive, talk on the hands-free phone, listen to music, and think about what we are going to talk about at the meeting- and we do it all simultaneously. But each of these tasks requires a tiny percentage of the available bandwidth.

#8 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

THE END OF FAITH-  Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason

by

Sam Harris

"The End of Faith articulates the dangers and absurdities of organized religion so fiercely and so fearlessly that I felt relieved as I read it, vindicated, almost personally understood."  -Natalie Angier, New York Times

"The End of Faith" is a genuinely frightening book… Read Sam Harris and wake up." - Richard Dawkins, The Guardian

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

ThisMoment, as a devout Catholic, I am offended by this book...and I am hurt that you would offer it as "inspirational" ..... I don't understand what this has to do with our recovery from cymbalta.

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

FN

I find any source of reason to be inspirational, and reason has everything to do with planning and executing a successful recovery.  I am not offended by any literature, including your Bible.

It seems to me your book has something to say about judging: See Matthew 7:1-3.

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Point taken, TM.... I will reread this book with an eye to understanding how it could be inspirational for recovery....when I first read it I was understanding it in context of an argument against organized religion....perhaps analogous to some of the arguments made against big-pharma....

I was not in any way judging you. I stated only the facts that I felt offended, and did not understand how the book was inspirational vis a vis recovery from cymbalta. Your response with respect to why you suggested the book was a valid one, and likewise you didn't judge me. ;-)

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

And I would add to that , yes reason has something for executing a successful recovery,

And, my point of view, I do need the spiritual  aspect also to get throught this.

I am also a believer, and , honestly said, both go hand in hand.

We are humain beings, as the same time spiritual beings.

Reason, at times is not enough, spiritualty at times is not enough,. When in crisis, I mix both.

At times neither seems to do any good, let time pass does it. Erk!

And at t times ,there is no way in and no way out, that is a hard one to get through. And the adage that says, This too shall pass, I keep repeating that over and over. And I repeat to myself that my brain is healing, yes, indeed, I need both ways.

#13 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Well said, Gail.... We are rational creatures....with souls....we need food for both...and in balance....thanks!

#14 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

This was Gail's request:

"I thought it would be great for people to share the books that inspirated them while in withdrawal or not."

The End of Faith inspired me during withdrawal- that's it. I don't think we have an argument here. 

I am a firm advocate of spirituality, but for me religion hasn't been necessary for spirituality.

I don't care what people believe, as long as those beliefs don't advocate harming, controlling, or silencing others.

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Gosh, no argument! A misunderstanding on my part...and now I'm fascinated to take another look at this book....I think what caught me off guard is that, in a literal sense, "the end of faith" would, for me, mean the end of hope and thus an end to my recovery....again, proving the point that while there are many many common elements of withdrawal/ recovery that we all share, the most intimate and internal factors are totally unique to each of us in just as many other ways....

it's a journey we have to make alone, but yet we have the gift of coming together here in this little safe haven....if I had not found this place, I truly do not think I would have been able to embark upon and continue my journey....

#16 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

FiveNotions

Yes I agree, this is our safe haven. And hope is what gets me moving, and hope ties me to that future that's worthwhile moving toward.

FN, you are always an inspiration on this forum, and I thoroughly enjoy reading everything you post. 

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Thank you, and likewise to you, TM.... for example, just today, our exchange challenged me to look at something from a completely different perspective....your perspective....and to reexamine my own perspective.... and you know, before I got off cymbalta, I doubt I would have had the mental or emotional capacity to do this....the drug had somehow frozen me....emotionally, intellectually, spiritually....

Being on cymbalta was like being made part of The Borg on Star Trek.....I was no longer an individual, and just felt like I was part of some hive mind that was sucking me dry....

Totally OT for this thread...sorry.....

#18 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

I do believe this is why Religion and Politics are never ever discussed at my dinner table or when I am hosting a party...Somehow it's opinions and interpretation which get list in these subjects and through text messaging along with posts...

Everyone's interpretation is acknowledged here, everyone's opinion us welcomed here...Its just sometimes a small misunderstanding arises do to not having the person right there in front of you saying something (instead of a text or post) and actually knowing what the person truly means (through body language and tone of voice) In essence, avoiding a misunderstanding!

You all did a great job in clearing up and understanding each other on this thread! Great job!

#19 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

I think another thing that makes this depth and breadth of communication possible for us here is that all of us are committed to recovering from cymbalta (and whatever other crappy meds we're getting off of) .... and that commitment isn't just to our own recovery, it's also to the recovery of each other person here..... We lean on each other, and we learn from each other.... Again, this is why I've been able to come as far as I have.... I lean on and learn from all of you....and I dearly hope to be able to offer the same to all of you....

#20 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

Just to be clear, in this next book,  there is no mention of religion. The title can be misleading.

FAITH :  trusting your own deepest experience

By Sharon Salzberg, meditation instructor , has been studying Buddhism for 30 years.

She describes faith as an interior resource that every human being can tap...

#21 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Excellent book, Gail! It helped me work through a difficult end to a difficult marriage!

Amazon.com has it, with a "look inside" option....

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/1573223409

I also like these presentations she gave...

Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience (2002)
http://www.bodhitree...s/salzberg.html

Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness (1995)
http://www.bodhitree.com/node/1266

#22 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Several other books (oldies but goodies) that really helped me are by Harriet Lerner... as I was finding links for them, I also discovered that she has her own website..... http://www.harrietle....com/index.html

The dance of fear (look inside)
http://www.amazon.co...ear Lois Lerner

The dance of anger (look inside)
http://www.amazon.co...97655138&sr=1-1

#23 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Fivenotions, the book THE DANCE OF FEAR, have not heard about it.

Seems like the next one for me, thanks for the links.

Taking notes on the other ones.

I often go to the library, my mind is blank, cant figure out what I want.

With the books mentionned here, it will be easier for those days when I can barely put 2 and 2 together.

I just love to read!

#24 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:
    Essentially I am here for support and real information. On a journey away from this medication and towards a mindful, present state of being. My goal is to find courage, my hope to help someone along the way. Change.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Men are from Mars, women from Venus.

It is difficult to see that we, as a people, don't respect one another's "feelings" anymore. My personal opinion is that we should do what we can to respect one another. If we know we have offended our fellow human, offer a sincere apology. That's the way my mother raised me. My father, on the other hand, was a man...

He did not have the ability to know how to effectively express his feelings nor how to say he was sorry. When he finally did, near the end of life, it was too late. He had alienated his other kids and had no one (well me, but I didn't really count) to see him thru his Alzheimer's Dementia.

Inspirational book: Anything by Marianne Williamson :wub:

#25 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi xman

I think I know what you mean about considering the feelings of others. We are tender beings, especially during withdrawal, and feelings can be injured easily. 

On a slightly different (but related) topic, imagine if I walked into the bank and said, "Good morning, it's my belief that this bank has made an error in my account and I believe you owe me $10,000!" Would the banker then say, "Oh good morning- I respect your beliefs and I will pay you the $10,000!"? I think, rather, he would ask what my reasons are for arriving at this conclusion.

And this is why we really don't respect beliefs, we evaluate reasons. 

#26 xman

xman

Best Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Beliefs and feelings--different. I admit to speed reading so I may have missed something important. I just wanted to bring up feelings in conjunction with insults.

I can't remember who said," we are more alike than we are unalike". Maya Angelo??

I like the banking scenario nonetheless! :D We humans do better when we know the why, the rationale.

There's an old poem, "ours not to make reply ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die". Those were soldiers.

In the work place, many times we are expected to be soldiers. What that has to do with the price of tea, I do not know! LOL

#27 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hi Carleeta

"I do believe this is why Religion and Politics are never ever discussed at my dinner table or when I am hosting a party."

Our house is the opposite: Around our dinner table we always discuss current events- and politics, religion, and violence is well-represented in the news.

Somebody far more eloquent than I said, "We can have a conversation, or we can engage in violence; the choice is ours to make." I say let's have that conversation. And that's what we do.

#28 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

I cannot vouch for this book as I haven't read it yet. But I'm posting it here, based on this article written by the author, a psychologist who was diagnosed with GAD and then depression, and who has been through the ssri withdrawal experience..... I was impressed by what he said, and how he said it, in the essay, and intend to follow up with his book....

He emphasizes mindfulness and meditation, CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), and "talking to people (including professional counselors)."

https://www.madiname...ntidepressants/

Change your Life!: Powerful tools for life changing results (look inside)
http://www.amazon.co...fox" psychology

#29 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Fivenotions, the first link is not working.

Seems interesting, what's his name, I can research it

Thanks FN

#30 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

Oops, David Fox, sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users