69 replies to this topic

#1 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

Good morning, 8 weeks today.

When I started on lexapro then cymbalta, I began to wake up with great anxiety or panic every morning. One of the reasons I stopped.

Mornings are better than they used to be. But, I still wake up with unease, mental discomfort.

Like an empty  or frozen fealing. I write and write to ease the discomfort.

And last sunday, I woke up with a smile, had such a peaceful fealing that lasted all day.

I was wondering if this symptom was part of withdrawal, am I the only one?

I sleep like a baby most of the time but that wake up fealing is a lot to take, the worst symptom.

Thank you

#2 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Hi Gail. I've been off Cymbalta for 7 weeks now. I experience the complete OPPOSITE. I struggle with anxiety and panic during the evenings. For me, I think it's when I'm no longer on auto pilot mentally occupied. It's when I have time to reflect and think. Perhaps, you could be similiar in the morning. Are you trying to jump right into your day when waking up? If you stay mentally occupied by "doing" instead of "thinking," it could be helpful.

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

As most of you know I have been on this site since God made dirt (well, maybe not!! lol) and have read most of the posts. I have noticed that these type of complaints (like gail and phillyguy) are common. I am pretty sure they are related to withdrawal. One thing you can do is to be sure your medicine times are evenly spread throughout the day. With all the changes many of us go through we sometimes wind up with a lot more meds in the evening or morning or whatever. Be sure your meds are uniform during the day. Three times a day should be every 8 hours, etc.  If this isn't your situation talk to your dr about sliding one of your meds to a different time slot to cover these symptoms. And don't worry, with time this too gets better.

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

This is an excellent topic, and is something I've been looking at in myself and my life recently.....

I've been off the poison for almost five months now, and my mornings, when I first wake up, seem to follow Gail's pattern... With me, it's low level anxiety....when I start to "remember my worries" .... a senses of "unease" or "discomfort," as Gail describes.... my own morning anxieties are related to concrete issues in my life.... (find a job, accomplish a career change, blah blah etc etc).... to distinguish, the morning anxieties aren't in the "existential" fears and anxieties category...those tend to hit me at night, like phillyguy....

Two things help me face this morning distress.... Like phillyguy said, I get up and get going, I can't let myself lolly gag in bed the way I used to....and, like Fishinghat suggested, I adjusted the once-daily dosing schedule for my one remaining psych med...which is Wellbutrin..... I now take it immediately when I get up, rather than mid-morning .....

I'm actually grateful to be having these morning sensations/feelings . . . it means I'm no longer numb from cymbalta....I'm just not used to having feelings, being concerned about things in my life.....things that I should appropriately be concerned about....

To be brutally honest about myself... I wanted a magic pill to make me happy all the time..... I didn't want to be an adult, I wanted to live in a little cocoon where all I felt were the happy things.... But cymbalta made me numb to absolutely everything.... it took away all the sensations of being alive...the pain and the joy....

For me, I think my morning unease is a symptom of being alive.....

And Gail, gosh, the morning unease moves you to write....to create....to engage .....that's a positive, yes?

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Phillyguy1, yes, I relate to your saying about auto pilot. I wake up, go slow, just the doing is too much.

Strangely, I refuse stay occupied, it would be like running away from I dont the hell know what,it's like something is preoccuping my mind. Most of the time I dont know what it is, but my mind will find something, I know that seems crazy. That crazy mind of mine has it's own agenda. All that started with the antidepressants. Before that, a few times only.

Fishinghat, ativan is pretty equally distributed, more in the am, of course. .75 or 1mg in am. then .50 after lunch and .50 for sleep.

So it's common, thanks. And with time, this too gets better, thanks.

#6 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Fivenotions, yes, the writing brings me insight at times. Something I would not have so deeply if it were not for these so anguishing fealings.

Existential fears I have, spiritual crises I have.

While on crapalta, I would write only on how bad I felt. Now in withdrawal, insights do come, but, of course I still write about how I feal.

And I can see that the times I barely write, which is not often, are the days that I feal most peaceful inside, there is nothing to say, nothing to need, just Being is sufficient, the mind is silent. Of course, I make a mention on that, I rely on those days for hope.

Morning unease does not have the same meaning for me, it goes on for a few hours, often ending up depressed after that episode. I hate cymbalta.

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Ah yes, Gail...what you describe as "unease" may be closer to what I describe as "emotional nausea" .... the dread sense, the dank sort of feelings that linger, cling and swirl....the nightmare that I can't wake up from, because I'm already awake..... This was my life during the worst of my depression, before drugs....

And it returned during the first two months or so that I was off cymbalta....it wanted me to go back on the poison....and thanks to the wonderful people here, I kept saying no...and then it did start to fade..and has now pretty much disappeared.....

I now think of it as my personal version of the grim reaper.... I think it got bored with me and moved on....I stopped engaging with it, would no longer play with it.... but I bet it's still somewhere around me...waiting for another opportunity.... ;-)

Wonderful observation you made about your writing...and not needing to when you're not feeling the pain.... How many of the world's creative geniuses did so out of pain? Van Gogh, Mozart....on and on....

#8 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Oh Fivenotions, when you say it returned the first 2 months off cymbalta and it wanted you to go back to the poison, do I ever comprendo what you are talking about!

Today I am depressed like never before, I am blessed that the crap never alleviated but worsened my condition, because today I would swallow it, that is how awful I feel, one of the worst. Like thismoment said, too depressed to do anything, and cant do anything because I am depressed. Yet I forced myself to put my summer tires in the car and vacuumed the car, all the time saying, My God what a horrible fealing.

I'm having a coffee and fealing like crap, Holy Friday, my birthday at the same time. Phone calls, gifts from the kids, invitation, flowers, birds of paradise, and can you imagine that all I want is to cry and curl up inside. Phone off the hook for a few hours, yes, I feel as though I'm the one on the cross.

That is today, feels good in a way talking about it. And who knows what tomorrow holds.

I may be back tomorrow and say, Ah, what a wonderful day it is. In the mean time, it is horrible. Thanks for being there FN.

#9 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Gail.... I feel terrible thinking of you and how you are feeling today - of all days!  I just read your post and can only offer my support and hope that maybe you are feeling better this evening.  It is truly a strange mixture of what is going on for you today.  In one way, yes, it is Holy Friday and I went to a Tenebrae Service this evening which was very moving as this is the most solemn day in the church. I was close to tears often. On the other hand, it should be a "Yippee" day since it is your Birthday!  What a clash of feelings - do you think that this might be part of why you are feeling so depressed?  It is just a stab in the dark, but wanted to put the idea out there and let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers - I pray that tomorrow will be a better day for you. 

Hugs,

Liz :hug:

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

Gail, I went to bed thinking about what you've said, and then got back up because had some thoughts about what you're dealing with....

I also tried to read back through your earlier posts to get enough of your background to give me the facts I need...but I didn't find the right posts, so here are some questions...I apologize if you've repeated this all elsewhere here...

You were on cymbalta for 5 months, and have been off for 8 weeks.... Did you quit cold turkey or taper?

Why were you put on it? Depression, fibro, etc?

Are you currently taking any other antidepressants? What other meds are you taking?

Do any of these hypotheticals describe the depression, sound similar to what you're feeling -- The reason I'm asking is that there are different types/"flavors" of depression....and each one can be managed a bit differently.....

Are there things you want to do, need to do, are interested in doing...but you just can't take the action....no energy, malaise....can't make the connection between the thought and the action....like there's a clear piece of plastic between the electrical cord and the outlet....you can see where you want to plug yourself in, but something's blocking you from getting there....

Or, is it that you don't do things or accomplish things because there's nothing you're interested in or motivated to do...just plain don't care...even the things that need to be done, you don't care and don't do....

Or, is it a deep sadness, like sinking into a dark pool of melancholy....and it's so thick you can't seem to swim back up to the surface....

Or, is it anxiety and/or panic that sort of freezes you into immobility?

If not any of these, what's it feel like?

Maybe if we can figure out your particular "flavor" of depression we can help you sort out some better options for dealing with it.... :-)

#11 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

Hello Gail , FNs , TryingFL & fishinghat,
Gail I've been off Cymbalta for 5 months now , & battling to be anything that resembles normal . A few days ago I was starting to think that I had it beat but yesterday & today I feel crap .
Depressed , bloated, sad , anxious & melancholy with little energy or motivation to do anything and hating myself for feeling this way .
I'm certainly not fun to be around .
I'm scared to be feeling like this , scared to be so down .
Gail , like you I wake up with anxiety & feel like I have nothing to look forward to . I don't want to feel like this , I though I was getting better .
The weird thing is that yesterday ( Good Friday ) , I woke up quite happy & looking forward to having four days break with my husband. I had planned to do some re-arranging of my bedrooms & was quite motivated.
After we measured each room we realized that my plans would not work... I can't explain what happened but my mood went straight from being happy & excited to sad & negative. The problem was that I tried my best to snap out of it but I just couldn't . I stayed sad & down for the rest of the day & today .
Wow this has shaken me up & I am seriously down . A side effect ? Or my mind playing tricks on me ?.. I don't know what to think & I am very confused ... For goodness sake it 5 months now ... Please God don't let me be getting DEPRESSION again ...
Sorry everyone I'm not much fun today ...

#12 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

Hello Fivenotions, anxiety and depressive moods were the reasons.

I was put on lexapro 10 mg for 4 months, did nothing, lowered the number of my good days. Instead of 18 good days, dropped to 13.

Switched directly to cymbalta 30mg, for 4 months, then to 15 for one month then off.

On beginning of the 4rth month on cymbalta, all hell broke loose inside, worsened anxiety and depression.. Zero good days in the 4rth month, then it hit me that something had to be done about that crap. ASAP

I take 20mg of trazodone for sleep, and ativan seperated in 3 doses. Trazodone , am weaning slowly. Estrogen patch and prometrium.

As for the type of depression, I would say that anxiety freezes me into immobility, even though, eveything gets done but with in a state that is not comfortable.

I do not feel any sadness, rarely. Sad for my condition only.

I lack inspiration for finding things to do, lack of interest. I am frozen inside. Like my brain is blank. I do have interest in certain things, reading, having coffee and walks with my best friend, listening to music, writing, mushroom picking, flower  and fruit picking, one program or two on tv.

no 1 hypo. does not fit.

no 2 hypo fits for the first part, the caring part does not fit.

no 3 hypo does not fit

no 4 fits.

So no 4 and the first half of no 2 fit.  Lack of interest, motivation and anxiety or depression that freezes me. Motivation hits a nail.

So, I would say that anxiety, unease, ill fealing brought up the depression.

Prior to that, there was a very stressful relationship, fear of aging, fear of rejection, all that drove me to extreme anxiety and panic, and that lasted for 2 years at least. 2011 and 2012, then I crashed in feb 2013.

Prior to that, I was prone to anxiety, had about 6 bad days a month, saw a Psychiatrist once for that and with the details I gave her, she said to me,* I am sorry, this is menopause related, look into food supplement, there is nothing I can do* All along, I had known it was menopausal.

That is the best resume I can do. Thanks Fivenotions.

#13 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

Hello Liz, your compassion touches me. No, it does not have anything to do with my birthday, of that, I am sure.

It slowed down around 3pm. I was able to go out, buy a book, do grocery and go to the chapel, all that in a smooth way, meaning that the mind had quieted. Fell asleep on the sofa at 8pm, exhausted. Today does not seem too grim, we'll see. Thank you for your good thoughts.

Wagtail, are we twins? I see myself in you.

Haven't the good days outnumbered the bad?  I know those fealings are scary, one moment you think that it's all over, just to fall down in the trap once more. I keep picking myself up. And comes a day, that erases all that crap, what a blessing for those rare days. Had one last sunday, alas when monday came up, fell back into the trap.

Fishinghat mentions that often, when bad, we feal it has or will always be like that, and when good , same story.

Fivenotions will be back with a reply to my previous post, maybe there will be something in it that can soothe you.

I had an insight yesteday that stopped me dead in my tracks. A phrase that was given to me by a psychologist a few years back.

THE VOICE OF THE SOUL IS SOOTHING AND CALM. I have a tendancy to listen to the voice of my egoic mind, that is quite disrupting, scaring,yelling, blaming, accusing, screeming to be heard. When that phrase came out of nowhere, I saw that all that grubbish thinking did not come from a very reputable place. I kept repeating that phrase over and over again, it soothed me.

I hope your day is better, if not, dont be hard on yourself, and keep the mind at bay, this is what I will practice today.

#14 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Gail, what you described isn't what I was "betting" you'd say....

I was heading towards suggesting that you might have a dopamine deficiency type of depression, as I do.... it's when you want to do things but just have zero motivation or energy...a sort of psychic malaise or lethargy ..... Wellbutrin is the only antidepressant that acts on dopamine....I've been on it for 15 years, with wonderful success... I never should have been put on cymbalta, but that's another story...

But, this doesn't seem to be your "flavor" ...... Yours seems to be chronic and debilitating anxiety/panic .... which you, most courageously, "soldier through" and continue on with as much of your life activities as possible....

Without going into my story, here's what helped me to recover from the worst of my panic and anxiety (before the cymbalta debacle)...and what's helping me post-cymbalta..... Perhaps you, or one of my other fellow forum members, will see something here that might be useful ...

1. Find a good female therapist, not a shrink....not a man .... (My own bias...I believe that women are wired far to differently from men to be able to develop an intimate therapy relationship) .....I knew I needed to identify my underlying issues and get to work on them.....

I found a women's counseling group, and began going to see a wonderful LCSW...twice, sometimes even three times, a week for a couple of years, then once a week for a couple of years....

The LCSW focused on talk therapy and with a huge emphasis on changing my behavior and learning new ways of thinking and doing....no psychotherapy crap, just practical how to live stuff...that I'd never learned growing up.... (She's the gal who told me about the books by Lerner)....

2. Look into Twelve Step recovery programs.... There's one for almost every issue.... http://en.wikipedia....lve-step_groups

At the LCSW's suggestion, in order to deal with specific issues and situations in my life, I started going to Al-Anon and Codependents Anonymous meetings ...I went a couple or three times a week for a couple of years...... (That was my "social life" hehehehe)

Here's an article about their value. ...http://www.ncbi.nlm....cles/PMC181125/

In researching my thoughts for you, I discovered that now there's also a twelve step program -- Emotions Anonymous (EA) -- for recovery from mental and emotional illness. http://www.emotionsanonymous.org ....... I'm going to find out if there are meetings near me, and start going!

My research also pulled up a book I'm about to order:

Journey to Peace: A 12 Step Program for Anxiety, Panic, & Life (look inside)
http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/1438923651

3. Post-cymbalta, as I've posted elsewhere here, I've been using some amino supplements with excellent results....yes, they may all be placebos, as Fishinghat has posted some excellent research to that effect, but placebos are fine with me... Also, subject to a caution that aminos are strong, and shouldn't be taken without careful research...and to start with very small doses and work up....

The ones I've been using are GABA, for anxiety and sleep at bedtime; theanine for anxiety during the day; and tyrosine as a dopamine booster during the day. (Don't use tyrosine if you're not short of dopamine....it'll jack you right up and you'll feel awful.)

4. Post cymbalta -- also for anxiety, I sip on damiana tea during the day.... again, a caution that all herbal remedies need to be researched carefully and tried gradually....( if I could find a good Chinese traditional doctor or herbalist like Xiaojie, I sure would be happy!)

5. post cymbalta -- I've gone back to doing (trying to do) yoga.... it was very calming and strengthening for me years ago, and is proving to be the same for me now.....

I hope this doesn't come off as too preachy or pushy.... I wish there was a "one size fits all" remedy for all of us.... But, like life itself, it's an individual journey....we're alone in the experience of it, yet we come together to share our experiences in hope of lending others some strength and wisdom....

#15 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Fivenotions, thank you for your research and tips. Read also the article on antidepressant causing anxiety, a great article.

As for a lady therapist, it's on it's way, since I had a recommendation from the shrink.

12 step program, that is great, have been to them for years, but at the moment, by 6pm, I am done, meetings are at 8pm. When I recover from this, because all that unease causes a lot of fatigue and demands energy.

When i Go to work in the morning, I allready have 3 hours of battle behind me, I'm exhausted before I leave. I'm all for those groups, and we have many of them here.

As for dopamine supplements, I have thought of them, the mucuna. I just do not want to add anything yet, I know myself, if I'm anxious, I will think it's the mucuna. Gaba  I have, but even that, I prefer to wait for the anxiety to lessen.

I stick with omega, b6, b12 and vit c. And of course, camomille by the gallon.

Again FN, thank you, and If I were to try a different antidepressant again, it would be the wellbutrin. Not waiting 9 months this time. After 2 months, if it would not work, adios.

By the way, no depression today, only low grade anxiety.

#16 Ape

Ape

Good Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

It s not too preachy I kind of lazy all the time !

#17 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

"1. Find a good female therapist, not a shrink....not a man .... (My own bias...I believe that women are wired far to differently from men to be able to develop an intimate therapy relationship) .....I knew I needed to identify my underlying issues and get to work on them....."

I fully agree. I am sure there are some exceptions but for the most part you are right on. Men (of which I am one) have to much ego and testosterone to be a good therapist.

#18 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

FH...that is interesting - I have always seen a male therapist and had a wonderful relationship!  I seem to get along better with men than women for some reason.. :rolleyes:

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

You know what they say...If it works don't fix it. lol  The important thing is you have a good therapist. That what counts.

#20 Xanazul

Xanazul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, Spain
  • why_joining:
    Fnding cues for what I am feeling. Hopefuly giving others cues about this distressful state of mind and body we are all going through.

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

This is the thread I was looking for.
My morning anxiety (waking yo 5 to 6 in the morning from deep peaceful sleep and sensing anxiety (altogether with heart pounding sweeting and nausea) mounting until well pass the afternoon, with some panic attacks and depression bouts interweaved. It gets better in the evening.
I had experienced morning anxiety for 3 or 4 years before Cymbalta, not when on Cymbalta, and back now during CW. But the one now has many add ups (nausea, sweets, nausea....) to that of the pre Cymbalta era.
I do believe however that as for early morning anxiety itself, that improves at evening the mechanism must be the same before and after Cymbalta
Before: putting too much work (stress of any type and nature) on the HPA axis disrupts the system thus converting the physiological morning activation (cortisol+adrenaline) in a pathological overstimulation and hyperarousal in response to even the slightest stimuli
After: Cymbalta messes up with this system (along with many others) and the way it does it, is by shouting (at least for some of us) the system down (no anxiety, no pain, no nothing). When we discontinue the HPA that has been silenced rebounds, and there you are with your cortisol and adrenaline being delivered massively from your adrenals when they activate in early morning and thereafter in response to every bit of stress.
Going to sleep and hoping to have a not so bad wake up tomorrow.
I wish you Gail, FN and all others with this nasty symptom the same for tomorrow and many days to come.

#21 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

Yep , morning anxiety for me also ... It sometimes eases if I keep myself physically busy & try not to think too much or if I log on here & get reassurance that I am not going to die from not being able to breath properly or from having very tense muscle contractions... Mornings suck !..:-(

#22 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:20 AM

Xanazul, I too have experienced morning anxiety prior to cymbalta. But, slightly. Nothing compared to these times.

Got worst on cymbalta, the mind waking in agitation or fear before the body did. One of the reasons I quit.

It is getting better, and still have it. At times for 30 min and at times for a few hours. Breathing and breathing. Writing.

If you search for morning anxiety on internet, this is a widely spread symptom, cymbalta or not. Got worse with menopause.

Wagtail, as like you, I sometimes think that I will die from this, and I'm still here. I keep repeating, I'm getting better and better.

Started meditation, Kabat-Zin way. He is great.

I also say to myself, that maybe I can endure one hour or two of this crap, and the rest of the day will be ok. At times it is semi normal, and at times the day sucks.

By the way, Wagtail, and Xanazul I love your posts because I can so relate to them, I am not alone.

#23 Xanazul

Xanazul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • why_joining:
    Fnding cues for what I am feeling. Hopefuly giving others cues about this distressful state of mind and body we are all going through.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Yes, Gail I did made the search for morning anxiety few years ago when I started to feel it. I was in perimenopause age plus going through a very hard time in my life. It was then when I got caught in the antidepressant trap: prozac, sertraline and finally this dreaded one. They all helped me, had almost not side effects other than anorgasmia (bad enough side effect) and the usual not being able to feel anything. I went out of Cymbalta al Wellbutrin basically CT eleven weeks ago, because I wanted my sexual life and my emotions back and to be on control of my life.
BUT, that morning anxiety was wellbeing when compared with this nightmare.
I am glad you found Kabat-Zin helpful. I must say that I did the training 2 years ago, but never completed nor did I practiced anything of what I had learned. I am starting over again, this time decided to carry on, because same as with exercise it takes at least 8 to 12 weeks to begin feeling the benefits on anxiety, stress, depression, cognitive improvement and all other the conditions it has been proved to be useful.
Come to think is't kind of weird that it always takes from 8 to 12 weeks for anything to change in our brain?
Take much care and let's share our progress in the mindfulness pathway to peace.

#24 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

Xanazul....I find the anxiety to be worse to bear in many ways than the horrendous physical SE's....it's subtle, elusive....slippery like an eel....I can't just slap on an ice pack or chew some ginger.....

But, .here are a couple of things that help me..... I've found the yoga class I took earlier this year to be very helpful with the anxiety.....esp. the breathing exercises ....also, self-acupressure....a few weeks before I took the yoga class I had a massive panic attack....a friend who's into accupressure discovered that I was having a diaphragm spasm...and I wasn't breathing...well, was shallow breathing.....she showed me the key pressure points....fixed me right up....there's a post here somewhere with quite a bit of info.....

I'm going to read up on kabat-zin......have never heard of it.....sounds more like something I'd order at an Ethiopian restaurant. ;-)

#25 Xanazul

Xanazul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Jaja (I am laughing in spanish),
I believe that John Kabat-Zinn is actually an american jew and this is a short resume of hs CV:

JON KABAT-ZINN, PH.D., is founding Executive Director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He is also the founding director of its renowned Stress Reduction Clinic and Professor of Medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He teaches mindfulness and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) in various venues around the world. He received his Ph.D. in molecular biology from MIT in 1971 in the laboratory of Nobel Laureate, Salvador Luria.

He is the author of numerous scientific papers on the clinical applications of mindfulness in medicine and health care, and of a number of books for the lay public: Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness (Delta, 1991); Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life (Hyperion, 1994); Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness (Hyperion, 2005); and Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness (Hyperion, 2007). He is also co-author, with his wife Myla, of Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting (Hyperion, 1997); and with Williams, Teasdale, and Segal, of The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (Guilford, 2007). Overall, his books have been translated into over 30 languages.

I did the training (half of it as I told you) with a former Z Segal PhD student. The book I've is the one by Williams, Teasdale, Segal and Kabat-Zinn, that comes with a CD with all the exercises guided by Kabat-Zinn. The book is about mindfulness applied to prevent depression relapse, but since it was written Minfulness that was developed as a technique to cope with stress by J Kabat-Zinn, has proven to be equally efective in treating the whole spectrum of anxiety disorders.

So let's hope it will help us

#26 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Oh my.....now I'm laughing too! :-D

Thank you for the clarification xanazul!

#27 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness (Delta, 1991);

This book treats all ailments the same way. Depression, anxiety, cancer, fibromalgia, anything, you name it.

Same (remedy) applies to all, mindfulness.

A really interesting book. Step by step. Easy to understand, which is good, my brain is a little slow.

8 week program.

Like you Fivenotions, I find anxiety much more unbearable than physical side effects.

#28 Xanazul

Xanazul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

FN and Gail:
YES, anxiety is worst that physical side effects. In fact I use the physical side effects as an alibĂ­ when talking to myself about this being withdrawal and not my old anxiety condition, for that one was not accompanyed by sweeting, nausea.....

By the way, I've not experienced brain zaps (at least this was spared to me), but in addition to the usual muscle pain (flu-like), which I must say is getting better, I do have in my right arm a very excruciating pain that comes out of nowhere from time to time (frequently wakes me up) like a bolt of pain coming down my arm. Sometimes it las a few minutes and then is gone and others it can be present for a few hours. Most of the times the pain occurs in parallel to anxiety strikes.

Take care you both.

#29 Xanazul

Xanazul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

Gail,
I forgot, I agree with you "Full catastrophe living..." Other of the John Kabat-Zinn books offers many cues for trauma survivors to cope and begin to rebuilt from the emotional wreckage that trauma lefts behind.

#30 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for the book tip, Gail.....did you think to post it over in the book forum you started a while back? Ditto for your K-Z books, xanazul......

I'm about to head over to amazon to see if I can order a couple of these...

If there were ever to be a movie made about my life, I think the "Full Catastrophe Living" would sum it up nicely...... ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users