Photo

I’Ve Just Recently Stopped Taking Cymbalta ...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

and a friend sent this link to me.  I immediately started sobbing while reading the first post I saw because the woman writing it is ME and then, there's someone telling her that it's not causing the weight gain so get her thyroid checked, etc.!  I heard those same things and went through all of the same testing suggested but nothing.  I was already on meds for hypothyroid and each time I was retested my numbers were fine, etc.  I was tested for Lupus and everything under the sun.  God, I wish I had seen her post when it was written because that is exactly when I started taking this crap--June of 2012!  Since starting it in 2012, gained 20+ lbs the first year and 40 lbs just since August yet I barely eat!  I, like the woman in the post, was a workout fiend and at one point, I was working out every morning, 7 days a week in addition to a 20-25 minute walk to/from work and walking on my lunch hour when I could but still kept gaining weight.  Then, the extreme fatigue hit along with brain fog, concentration issues, brain and all over body zaps or twitching among so many other things that I’m sure you’ve all been through.  This is all while still taking Cymbalta.

I was put through a sleep study and they ruled out sleep apnea but now, they want me to do another sleep study to confirm that I may have Hypersomnia and/or some degree of Narcolepsy.  “Any of which could be a big part of the severe fatigue AND the massive amount of weight gain”.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah.

My husband said countless times that he thought it was the medicine but I can't tell you how many times I've asked all of my doctors if any of what I've been dealing with could be from my medication.  No, no, no is always the answer!  PLUS, I had an issue many years ago where I put on a lot of weight, worked hard to lose it and kept it off since 2001 so any time any doc puts me on a new med, the first thing I ask is if it causes weight gain and stress that I DO NOT want anything that will because I never want to be that heavy again.  Yet, here I am that heavy again and then some!

So, I made a decision on my own to completely stop taking the Cymbalta because it doesn't seem to be helping the headaches or FB pain anymore anyway and figured it must the cause of the weight gain.  I stopped taking it over a week ago, living through the bad withdrawals and went to acupuncture twice which helped a lot for those days but every other day, I'd been waking up with the worst headaches, neck/back pain and just pain all over right down to my toes not to mention, the horrible and nausea. 

I can barely walk from the vertigo (almost fell down the stairs--need to hold the wall to just walk).

I now know why drug addicts have such a hard time--it's not the drug they need so much but the horrible withdrawals are so bad you want to give in just to make it stop!  I honestly did not realize that it would take this long and figured that if I made it through a week, it would be over and I'd be fine.

It's gotten better but I'm still dealing with vertigo, intermittent bouts of nausea and have bruises all over my body from scratching a rash that's not there (UGH!).

I read about this other poor woman who almost killed herself and I've felt the same way so many times including this weekend then, after a two week hospital stay and she was all better: “My doctor stated to me after everything was fixed "We were poisoning you with that drug". I COMPLETELY agree with him.”

I never understood people that didn't trust doctors but now, I do!

I just want this crap out of my system and I'm glad I read all of this because it's good to know I'm not the only one and that it’s not all in my head or I’m imagining it!

In everything I’ve read so far, I haven’t seen anyone else that had a problem from the skin crawling/itching so just wondering if anyone out there has had this withdrawal symptom?  Also, I’m seeing that others still have problems after many months/years so is the fact that it’s gotten better only temporary and should I expect that it will get worse/better again and again?

Any insight is GREATLY appreciated!

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Welcome GMI. The skin problems are actually fairly common. Normally the withdrawal ebbs and flos but overall slowly starts to improve after 2 or 3 weeks. And I mean sslloooowwwllyy. One thing that complicates the withdrawal is that it is fat soluble. This means that any cymbalta your body did not need was probably stored in your liver or fat cells. Some people have even had detectable amounts of Cymbalta in their blood up to one year after quitting. Now I got to admit that is worse case scenario. Expect some ups and downs but overall you should improve.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

GonnaMakit, welcome! And yes, you are gonna make it!

I had the weight gain....I think about 30 lbs...and like you, I wasn't eating anything to speak of...in fact cymbalta ruined my sense of taste... The weight gain may be fluid retention....a number of us here have had it and are in various stages of dealing with it....I've been off almost 5 months now, and I've dropped 3 clothing sizes....I'm sure mine was fluid...

Skin crawling...yep, I had that...and tiny little electric zaps in my leg muscles....vertigo, yep....and nausea.....

Basically, what you're experiencing is classic cymbalta withdrawal....

You went off cold turkey which is the hard way to go .... I know, that's what I did, too....I got through it, but it wasn't pretty....

The better way to quit is to bead count...remove several, or even just one, bead a day...or every other day...over a longer period of time....

You've been off over a week now, so you might be too far along in the withdrawal to be able to do this -- reinstate at your old dose, stabilize and then start bead counting....others here know more than I do about this and will be able to give you better advice....

Some additional info wld help us help you ....what was your dose, how long were you on it, and for what condition (fibro?).....

Also, what other meds are you currently on, and for what conditions?

This is a wonderful community of people, we're here to help you....keep us posted!

#4 phillyguy1

phillyguy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hi Gonnamakeit :) Welcome to this site. I highly encourage you to read the posts on this site a bit further. It's definitely been helpful and enlightening for me. Of course for my disclaimer, I am not a doctor. I'm most concerned reading about suicidal thoughts from you. If you are feeling that much mental and emotional turmoil, PLEASE seek immediate help! There is no reason even suffering from Cymbalta withdrawal to get to that sort of state of mind.

Many people have needed secondary meds during this transitionary period, including for some temporarily going back on Cymbalta and staging a gradual dose reduction as mentioned by others above. PLEASE understand whatever physical state you may be going through will ease up in time...but as Fishinghat and Fivenotions said...it's not an "overnight" type of withdrawal for most. I went the cold turkey method and the first couple weeks were absolute hell for me. My symptoms are/were brain zaps, acute vertigo, tinnitus, wicked mood swings, sweats, to name a few. However, it does get better. I'm NOT 100% yet, but I'm taking it each day. It's been more of a roller coast ride than a smooth transition. Seems that for many people.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I must reiterate in closing, please seek help if you need it! There is NOTHING to feel hopeless about. You will feel better gradually.

#5 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

GonnaMakeIt...Welcome....Yes you will make it. ..As you might have noticed, we here on this site..Have Made It...You've been given great advice from other members here and you should take into consideration their wise words of wisdom. ..What I will add here is this: Please listen to what your body is telling you, for you know your body the best...Listen to it! Also please get into an ER if you feel on verge of disturbing suicidal thoughts...It's not an uncommon thought for anyone. ..Most times the thoughts fade, and other times they become so overwhelming where a person needs to get help to get these feelings and thoughts out of the way...

Please keep us posted...Feel free at anytime you feel to express yourself on this site...We all care and will support you through this..

Best luck to you!

#6 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Thanks so much to all of you!  I should have explained better about the suicidal thoughts ... I did have them during bouts of crying one minute/laughing the next and especially when the headaches/pains were unbearable but mostly because the weight gain (couldn't stand to look in mirror, won't undress in front of my husband or afraid to run into someone I knew when I left the house just didn't want anyone to see me like this) and all the other unexplained symptoms that the drs basically had me believing were all in my head, etc. etc. etc.  HOWEVER, as soon as I learned that I wasn't the only one going through all of that while on it, that it was not all in my head, etc.  and that others had the same experiences with the withdrawals as well, I have felt SO much better emotionally!

Even with all of these other issues going on from the withdrawals, I still feel better because I know that this will end and I'll come out feeling so much better and back to myself again. Honestly, I am already feeling more and more like myself again so I know I made the right choice to stop taking it.  PLUS, I can already feel the fatigue is gone.  I'm tired but it's not like it was before--an all consuming fatigue that I couldn't function. 

#7 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:58 PM

Thanks so much to all of you!  I should have explained better about the suicidal thoughts ... I did have them during bouts of crying one minute/laughing the next and especially when the headaches/pains were unbearable but mostly because the weight gain (couldn't stand to look in mirror, won't undress in front of my husband or afraid to run into someone I knew when I left the house just didn't want anyone to see me like this) and all the other unexplained symptoms that the drs basically had me believing were all in my head, etc. etc. etc.  HOWEVER, as soon as I learned that I wasn't the only one going through all of that while on it, that it was not all in my head, etc.  and that others had the same experiences with the withdrawals as well, I have felt SO much better emotionally!

Even with all of these other issues going on from the withdrawals, I still feel better because I know that this will end and I'll come out feeling so much better and back to myself again. Honestly, I am already feeling more and more like myself again so I know I made the right choice to stop taking it.  PLUS, I can already feel the fatigue is gone.  I'm tired but it's not like it was before--an all consuming fatigue that I couldn't function. 

GonnaMakeIt. ..I thought your suicidal thought was normal and related to the horrible withdrawl feelings and weight gain..It's the norm. ..We all take precautions when someone feels there
is no hope to be on the safe side...Glad your feelings were validated here from reading other posts...Please keep us posted...

#8 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Thanks so much, again.  I forgot that I wanted to ask if Cymbalta has actually ever helped anyone?  I mean, long term because it seemed to help most of us in the beginning until things started going down hill.  And, also I forgot to answer these questions:

"Some additional info wld help us help you ....what was your dose, how long were you on it, and for what condition (fibro?).....
Also, what other meds are you currently on, and for what conditions?"

I started it in June of 2012 for thunderclap headaches and then, increased when fibromyalgia symptoms started but I don't think my dose was ever more than 60 mg.  At one point, they had me switch from taking it in the morning to night to see if that would help with the fatigue during the day but the fatigue actually got worse and I just didn't connect it until now because the drs kept telling me that wasn't the cause.  Now, I wonder if I even really have fibromyalgia!

My other meds are Synthroid (thyroid med), Adderall (for ADD) and Ativan as needed for PMS and flying anxiety which I very rarely use (prescription usually expires).

#9 maryscat

maryscat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMcGregor

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

Ok so here goes was on cymbal for so many years over 5 then the genetric came out so I was taking it for a month and noticed that something was not right that was also when the feeling in my toes started  so i'm diabetic so I didn't think nothing of till I started reading all the post, also my moods have been a nightmare and my family so will agree to that,so I ran out two days ago and talk about a headache wow I was going to get back on the brand name talked to the pharmancy and now my insurance wont pay figure that. I m going to go cold turkey now  I already take so much drugs this one is going for sure. I also have bad RLS my sleep Dr said that Cymbalta was causing this to be worse see him next month so Ill tell him then. This looks like this is going to be a nightmare.  I think they so include the with drawls with the side effects. So this is the second day Familly be warned.

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Maryscat

Welcome! I see you've chosen the Cold Turkey withdrawal as opposed to weaning off slowly. As you know, CT can be a rough go- but many people have done it and you can too. Should CT withdrawal prove too challenging, simply pick up a one-month supply and use that to taper off slowly over 90 days. We can help with the numbers.

Please keep us posted with how it goes.

Best wishes.

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi maryscat, welcome!

I see that you started having trouble when you switched to the generic, and that's when you quit the stuff cold turkey....

The generic also caused me severe problems...made me sick as a dog....worse than the withdrawal....and that's why I quit, like you....(I'd lost my insurance and cldnt afford the brand)....

In fact, the generic made by Teva has now been recalled.....I posted an article about that in the "cymbalta in the news" forum....the generic I reacted to was made by Citron, Inc. a company in India.....

ThisMoment is right about using the bead counting method rather than cold turkey....AND if you decide to do that, make sure that you buy a month worth of the BRAND cymbalta to use for the bead counting....using the generic, which you've already learned makes you sick, won't work.....

Even if you have to borrow the money for the brand from friends/family etc, please do so...if you can (I couldn't).....

And, by the way, as my pharmacist explained it to me recently, the reason so many insurance cos are now refusing to pay for the brand is a result of the additional costs of obamacare....the cos are trying to save money by covering only generics...and now, the costs of the generics are sky-rocketing....

#12 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Welcome Maryscat, CT is very hard! I'm sure you've read some of our nightmarish experiences here! You've come to a great place for knowledge, wisdom and loving support. Keep us posted, ask questions, rant or whatever! All my best to you with hugs and prayers!  clara :)

#13 maryscat

maryscat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMcGregor

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:48 PM

Ok this is day 2 doing ok ithink I was probably going through withdraws the whole mth I was on the generic does anyone have leg cramps wanting to know it might just be my rls thanks for all the thoughts and prayers I will pray for all of you

#14 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Maryscat...Welcome to the forum...As noticed, many members are here ready to lend their support, knowledge, love, thoughts, opinions, and experiences. ..Cold Turkey can be very very challenging for some. You have been given the advice to bead count with the original cymbalta. ..If you find the cold turkey too challenging it's suggested to start and bead count which results in a more tolerable withdrawl..off you choose this method we will be here to help you through this...if you choose to stay on the cold turkey route we will still help you through this method...What I can add is to please listen to what your body is telling you, for you know it best...By listening to your body this will help in your decision process choosing the best route to take..

Please keep us informed on your choice..

Best of luck to you.....

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hi maryscat.....glad to hear you're feeling better! It's a day by day, sometimes even minute by minute, process...your body and brain need time to heal and readjust....you may find that you have a pattern....a good day, a hard day or toe or three, then another good day....at a certain point, the good days equal the bad days, then there are more good than hard....life after crapalta is soooo much better !

yes, leg cramps are one of the withdrawal effects I had....not huge ones, more like twitches...and tiny electric shocks...like the brain zaps but in the legs....I think it's from the loss/lack of serotonin....when you quit cymbalta, which acted to enhance the serotonin in the brain, it takes some time before the brain readjusts and begins to regulate the serotonin on it's own....

Magnesium supplements, the chelates kind helps with this....as well as with the over all achy muscle thing that I had...I also used Epsom salts in hot baths....that's another form of magnesium, and it can cross the skin barrier and get right at the muscles tissues....

#16 jootmoon

jootmoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

I just wanted to say that yes, duloxetine has helped me. I have been treated for depression + ADD for a long time with many multi-drug regimens, with varying degrees of success. Duloxetine is the drug that has stabilized me the most & allowed me to take just one drug & still function at a high level. I also believe that it has controlled the night-time hip pain I had before going on this med. That being said, I do feel trapped on duloxetine. I am one of the lucky people who start to feel bad just by taking duloxetine a few hours later than usual. A couple of times I have been stupid enough to let my supply run out for a couple of days & have been bedridden with vertigo. I would love to try to get off duloxetine just see what life is like without it now, but despair of ever being able to do this. Until I found this website! I love the "bead counting" idea! (What led me here is that I forgot to take my dose yesterday & despite taking a dose several hours ago, I still feel like crap. I was poking around on the web to see what experiences people were having with the generic product. Sweet serendipity!)

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hi jootmoon, welcome! I'm glad you found us!

What dose are you on, and for how long? How long have you been on the generic? (IIRC, it came online last October?) what condition were you taking it for (depression, fibro, etc?)

You can definitely get off it, you'll just need to develop a weaning plan that works for you....I'm dashing off to church now, but will come back here afterwards to post more....in the meantime I'm sure others of us will be adding their suggestions.

#18 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

Welcome Jootman.Some info on the beaad counting for you.

Bead counting is where you open the cymbalta capsule each day and remove a few beads, usually 2 or 3. So the first day you remove 3 beads, the next day 6 beads, the next 9 beads etc. This provides for a slow steady withdrawal. If symptoms get to bad you just hold at that dosage for a while until you stabilize. Then start dropping again. Be aware that for most the last few beads give the worse withdrawal. Be prepared to slow down when you get to the very end. Now this is just an example. Some can only remove 1 bead a day and others 7 or 8 beads a day. You will have to play with it a little bit to find what works for you. This doesn't mean you won't have withdrawal but it will be lighter and you will have some control over it.

#19 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hugs and prayers, jootmoon! You can do this! Lots of loving support here! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users