18 replies to this topic

#1 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:
    I'm suffering and alone. I need support. I want to give support.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Long term use at 60 mg, reduced to 30 two months ago, decreased that dose until I went off entirely about three weeks ago. The following two weeks were pure hell.

I endured the sudden onset of a devastating unrelenting depression with intense suicidal ideation. If I had the means to kill myself, I believe I would have. The emotional/psychological suffering was absolutely unbearable and of course, when we are in the grips of depression, it seems hopeless and forever.

Added to that have been the muscle aches, persistent nausea, itchiness/skin crawls, headaches, brain zaps, irritability, all symptoms that I was not aware of but are posted on these forums. Many of those symptoms continue with less intensity, but they are more manageable without the horrible depression. (And the itchy/crawly skin problem isn't helped by living on a tick-infested farm and finding three ticks on me over the past week.)

Finally about four days ago, I began to feel some relief from the depression for up to five hours at a time. Just knowing that I was capable of feeling better meant everything to me and I can cope better when the hard hours hit again. I remember that I have recently felt better and that I am making progress. Altogether, I am feeling much better than I did four days ago.

I found this website only a few days ago. I wish I had known the importance of very slow titration before I made the decision to go off Cymbalta. I can see from the information here that I went off much too quickly. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who go CT!

I realistically expect some more miserable serotonin-deprived hours or days ahead, but I now believe I am going to get through this and come out in a good place. Any encouraging words are most welcome as I have cut off much of my personal emotional support in my desire to socially isolate and I want nothing more to do with the mental health system after 25 years of psychotropic drugs not helping me much at all.  Especially not Cymbalta. Thank you.

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

gz86, welcome. It sounds like you have a good handle on your situation. These bad days will pass with time. Be patient and don't push yourself to hard.

#3 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Gz86, welcome to a forum full of ANGELS ... We have all suffered from the same effects of withdrawal from CRAPALTA .

I took my last Cymbalta capsule on the 16 th November 2013 after 10 yrs of 60mgs & 10yrs of bad health .

You have named quite a few of the side effects of withdrawal & there are many more ... Good on you for hanging in there through the dreaded depression .
Your good days will lengthen & as you already know you will also have relapses , but these will also become shorter.
We all recover in our own time & that depends on many variables but you will recover .
Take time to read through the forums & the posts from other sufferers , you will recognize yourself in many of these.
Don't be afraid to reach out if you need help or advice , there are some wonderful compassionate members here with a combined knowledge on just about everything you need to know ...

Good Luck friend & fellow sufferer...:-)

#4 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:15 PM

Thank you both for your response. It's good to be heard and supported.

#5 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

Hi gz86

You did reduce fairly quickly, and if you are sensing some improvement now, that is great! Even so, there could be some up-and-down wave action of good hours and not-so-good ones. Just take it as it comes- stay hydrated, hide the booze, walk often, get tired to get good sleep for healing and repair, and be patient. You need a few months under your belt to get to the point where you are sailing away from the nightmare.

All the best. Please update often.

#6 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for letting me know I am not alone. I experienced steady moderate to severe depression over the last 24 hours. Immersed myself in the best possible environment (nearby lake on a warm sunny day) and took half a hydrocodone to get some relief, but I could not refocus my negative and fearful thoughts despite hours of walking and meditating by the lake. I went to sleep wanting to die and woke up this morning wanting to die. In the past, when I have felt this bad I consider hospitalization, but after 25 years of mental health treatment, I have lost faith in the ability of those providers to help me. The nausea was better though, and I am hoping today will be better. I wish I had more control over my feelings and this process. 

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hi gz86, welcome!

I'm in my 6 month off, after 7-8 years on 60 mg per day ....I quit cold turkey ...and you're doing much better than I was at this point!

What you've described is what I felt during the worst of the withdrawal ...except for the suicidal ideation .... I wanted to die, but since crapalta had destroyed all my motivation/interest, I didn't have any interest in actually taking action ... ;-)

I can chuckle about this now, however, what you're feeling is not a joke...and if you continue to have these thoughts, you must allow yourself to tell someone ...if not a doctor, a friend or family member ....and, come here and post as often as you want or need to ... we all know what you're going through!

If you haven't already, take a look at the "nutritional support" and "what's helping me" forums...there are some basic supplements that you might want to be taking ... vitamins, b-complex, omega 3 and chelated magnesium are what I, and a number of us here, took and are still taking ... for nausea, ginger helps -- ginger ale, raw ginger, ginger tea, etc... for the flu-like muscle aches, in addition to magnesium, Epsom salt (another form of magnesium) hot baths can be helpful...the magnesium gets into the muscles transdermally ....

You can do this, you will get through this .... the good "windows" ....of minutes or hours...will increase....into whole days ...and then several days in a row ... and the bad days will lessen .... I still have bad / hard days ...they come immediately after I've overdone on a good day .... I get over-confident and wear myself out .... but oh my, even the bad days are preferable to life on crapalta....I didn't feel anything...no emotions, no life, no nothing...

Keep us posted!

#8 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

It is reassuring to hear that someone can chuckle about having felt so low during withdrawal. I know that with time, I'll be chuckling, too. It gives me hope.

I'll check out the forums you suggested and I will let you know what I try and how it works. Thanks for directing me to them.

I had to take another half hydrocodone to take the edge off after several more hours of deep depression without a moment's relief today. I'm keeping the dose as low as possible since I don't need to deal with another addiction/withdrawal once I have survived Cymbalta withdrawal.

I'm feeling OK right now. And that's a very good thing! 

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

Glad to  hear that you're feeling better GZ! Yay!

#10 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Since yesterday afternoon (when I was holding back tears at my desk and certain life had nothing more to offer me), I have had several more good hours that remind me why it is worth getting through to the other side of this stormy withdrawal process.

Today was my perfect day. My dog and I had the local state park to ourselves. The best hours were sitting on the boat launch of a beautiful clear lake listening to the steady splashing of waves. Observed 4-legged tadpoles swimming around my ankles in the water, birds gliding overhead, a solitary goose paddling yards away and the patterns of color as ripples crossed the lake. Perfect temperature, perfect breeze, gentle clouds floating past a kind sun in a perfect blue sky. Completed a long metta mediation. Left feeling fully at peace and renewed.

Thank you for giving me a place to share get support. Knowing that even a few of you are out there and care enough to respond is important to me. 

#11 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Wonderful gz86!

I felt like a newborn baby when those good moments/hours first arrived.....I saw colors, smelled things, heard things...felt textures....all for the first time it seemed....cymbalta had, over time, clouded the window of my soul....like soot layers ever so slowly blocking out the light....so slowly that I didn't notice I was losing anything.....then, wow! A gorgeous, vibrant world full of joyful things appeared again....

Yep, you're gonna come through this just fine...better than fine! Thank you for sharing this!

You're now officially part of the gang here....you've been to hell and back, and lived to tell about it!

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

Welcome gz86!  I just now have read your posts and the excellent feedback you have been getting from FN...

You could not ask for better - FN is one of our more knowledgeable and helpful friends here!

I am a 4 month cold turkey survivor and still have occasional bouts of depression and weep often.  I am still looking forward to life getting better, but it sure beats what I was going through 2-3 months ago.  I had been on 60 mg of crapalta for about 4 1/2 yrs and wish I had known then what I know now.  Things are steadily getting better, but be prepared for the occasional bad days that will sneak up on you - at least they won't last long :)

Good luck to you and please keep up posted...

Liz  

#13 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

I just wanted to let folks know that I have not felt depressed for the last 72 hours. My mood feels good and stable and I am able to be present when relating to other people. This state of being is very welcome indeed, considering the intense depression I have suffered intermittently over the last few weeks. Interestingly, the brain zaps are also decreasing. As always, thank you everyone who has responded for your support and just for being there. I am grateful.

#14 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

gz86 - HOOORAAAY!!!   You will get through this! :D

#15 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

Wonderful, just wonderful gz86!!!

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,894 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

Great gz86. Now just don't get carried away and over do things. Still slow and easy.

#17 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

I just had another good 24 hours! I realistically still expect some very bad days ahead, but knowing that I was able to enjoy life for four days straight is really going to help me get through the next bout. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

#18 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Gz86 ... You've been given great advice & I can see that you have taken it all on board ... The return of the good days are what we remember when the not so good days hit ..... I am feeling , feelings & emotions that I haven't felt in years . It's like seeing life again through the eyes of a child.
It makes it easier to ride the waves when I wake up feeling bad .. I have developed a habit during my withdrawal, & it's when I first wake up in the mornings ... No matter how bad I feel I tell myself out loud that " I feel great & positive today "... I try to trick my brain !.. & I smile as much as possible ..ha ha I must look like a complete IDJIT ... Walking around the house with a huge fake smile on my dial ..but it actually does help me..
Hang in there Gz86 ... You can beat this mate ..:-)

#19 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

1. gz86 - Wonderful !!!  Your bad days should be coming less often now - enjoy the good ones and be prepared for the ones that sneak up on you - You will make it~ :D

Have no idea where that 1. came from but can't get rid of it! :wacko:

Great post from Wagtail and she has really had a nasty trip!  Cheers, Wagtail !!  :)

Best of luck and hugs,

Liz :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users