• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Itsgot2go

Itsgot2go

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

First post on this site.  I quit cold turkey off 120mg. I took my last dose last Saturday and whoa. I had missed an appointment and since I hadn't seen any other doctor in the office.  I was new and had seen 1 doctor just one time so I guess they didn't care that come Monday I called begging for a refill. I had to leave the last office because they stopped accepting my insurance but had taken Cymbalta for at least 5 years and they had the file that said so but I digress. I have found that I have had to just be a vegetable when things got bad. After reading bit here and asking the new doctor yesterday I have taken Benadryl for dizzy/nausea and am adding Omega 3 (which doc said would definitely be good) and I also bought some sublingual B12 (which I used before to increase energy). By my appointment he was ready to throw more Cymbalta at me and I told him NO. He said he could give me anti-nausea med but I am trying to find the new me. I am fortunate to have Klonopin for the sleeplessness and nightmares. I KNOW I KNOW it's addictive but I have had it around for at least 15 years and I only use it as needed for panic attacks and anxiety as needed. I do not take it everyday. I have proven to doctors I'm not addicted because I don't fill the script on time unless I need them. So I may only fill a script twice in 6 months. I now have some strong anger and depression but I decided to just try to wait until the withdrawal syndrome is over. I was surprised to hear the doctor knew anything about the withdrawal because all the other  docs were clueless. I have severe depression and that's why I took Cymbalta and I'll admit it worked great for me but this not getting refill fast enough made me decide I didn't like to go through that. I also hate the thought my body is addicted even if I'm not. I have a foggy mind which could be Benadryl or withdrawal. I'm leaning towards withdrawal because I think I had it before Benadryl.

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:13 AM

Hi itsgot2go, welcome!

Coming off 120 mg cold turkey is the hard way to go....I went cold turkey off 60 mg last December (feel pretty good most of the time now) and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone....if I had it to do over I'd use the bead counting method...remove several, or even 1, bead every day or other day....as tolerated...it's a lot easier on the body and brain...I'll leave the details to others who used this method....but you might want to consider going back on the cymbalta and using this approach....

However, if these are the only symptoms you've got after a week off the stuff, you may be one of the lucky ones who goes through withdrawal with a minimum of trouble....I hope this is your experience!

Let yourself use the klonopin....it'll help take the edge off the withdrawal-induced anxiety if/when it appears....and being calm helps your body to detox and heal .....

Some of the others here use/have used Benadryl.....I found that a good stiff slug of NyQuil or robitussin cough syrup helped me with the brain zaps and flu feeling...also with getting to sleep....i even took it during the day...but I wasn't working ....might not be the best plan if you've got to be at a job....

In addition to mega 3, chelates magnesium, multi vitamin and b complex are good basics....

For nausea, I used ginger....raw ginger root chewed or under my tongue, ginger tea, ginger ale....it did the trick....

You'll find other ideas and info for specific symptoms in the "nutritional support" and "what's helping me" forums....

Keep us posted....we'll do everything we can to help you get through this!

#3 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

It is going to be a tough trip but I think you have prepared yourself. Keep us informed and take it easy on your self. Don't push yourself too hard.

#4 gz86

gz86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNortheast US
  • why_joining:
    I'm suffering and alone. I need support. I want to give support.

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

I can't imagine going cold turkey from 120 mg! I tapered off too quickly from 60 mg over a few months and suffered some devastating withdrawal symptoms. I regret going off so fast and I wish I had known about the bead counting method and gone off slowly over 6 months or more. If you are one of the lucky ones who can go off without symptoms, more power to you!

#5 Itsgot2go

Itsgot2go

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:34 PM

I went cold turkey but I am by no means without withdrawal symptoms. I seem to be one step forward then BAM. I am going to have to get checked for a sinus infection to rule out any effects that may have. I have an unreasonable thirst in the later afternoon and evening and no matter how much I drink I wake up feeling dehydrated. My mouth is so dry and then I drink and the nausea kicks in. I was good on Saturday but I slept my day away today. I also don't seem to crave the carbs. 

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:51 PM

Well, you are indeed way ahead of where I was at one week off....I couldn't take a single step....forward or back.... ;-)

Seriously tho, go easy on yourself....if you feel tired and need sleep, do so....it will help your healing ....the sinus symptoms may be part of your withdrawal effects....flu like feeling is common....I also had swollen glands for a few days....all sorts of weird ailments crop up during this process....it's a hard job for our brains and bodies to detox and then stabilize.....

Have you tried ginger...raw, candied, or tea or ginger ale...for the nausea?

Are you having brain zaps or vertigo?

Hang in there!....and let us know what the doc says about the sinus stuff....

#7 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

FN is right. Go easy on yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users