#1 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I c/t'd from 60mg in 2009. Went back on and started tapering. Spent the next 4 years trying to get off. It was very difficult. Finally stopped at 17 beads on Dec.4, 2013.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi everyone. I was posting a lot a few months ago. I am almost 6 months off of Cymbalta

now. It's hard to say if I have seen any improvement or not.  One reason may be that

I'm currently tapering off my beta blocker.  I had developed severe side effects from it.

I'm pretty sure it is causing me great anxiety and agitation, nausea, weakness, and

insomnia.  It's a difficult taper also.  I still have a few weeks left of my taper. The side

effects haven't let up much.  In the evenings I have akathisia type episodes, when I

can't sit, I can only pace back and forth, till I feel like I will collapse.  I can't be sure, but

I think the beta blocker is causing this.  It's all very confusing for me.  I guess time will

tell.  I finally started taking Vistaril, and it does help a lot.  I am determined to keep hanging

in there, knowing that it should all end someday.  Hope everyone here is doing well.

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Lundeliz, hello! So good to hear from you!

Until I found this forum, I had no idea that getting off beta blockers could be hard, and that tapering is preferred.....I was a dope, and quit mine (metoprolol) cold turkey when I realized that it was the crapalta that was causing the high bp and tachycardia .....I wonder now which, if any, of what I thought were crapalta symptoms were actually the beta blocker....sheesh....

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hmmm....if I recall, anxiety and akathisia can also be caused by beta blocker withdrawal.....? Maybe Fishinghat can speak to this or has a research article? I'll see what I can find, too....

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

Usually the symptoms are increase in pulse and strength of heart beat as the beta adrenergic sites are free. I came off atenolol twice and these were my only symptoms and were short lived (3 weeks max.). What beta-blocker are you on Lundeliz?

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

All I can find for tapering off a beta-blocker is increase in pulse, bp and heartpounding. If the patient is taking it for anxiety then withdrawal may include physical nervousness and restlessness. However cold turkey can cause some severe results.

Like....

One of the first withdrawal symptoms of beta blockers is experiencing heart palpitations, accompanied by shortness of breath, profuse sweating and wheezing. Severe headache, body pain, nausea induced vomiting and intense abdominal cramping may also be noticed in individuals who withdraw from this drug at once.
Bodily tremors may also be noticed in such individuals. Tremors in the hands can be quite visible and the person is unable to hold anything steadily.
Abrupt stemming of the drug can increase the sensitivity towards adrenaline. This can increase the chances of high blood pressure, which in turn gives rise to irregular heart rhythm.
An elevated heart rate can put a strain on the cardiac muscles and increase the pressure on the coronary artery. If there is a blockage in the artery, then it can also lead to the overexertion of the heart muscles. All these factors can increase the risk of a heart attack or myocardial infarction, which is a result of damaged cardiac muscles.
Hypertensive patients who withdraw from this prescription drug suddenly may experience malaise, a sudden and sharp rise in blood pressure, sinus tachycardia, which is rapid and irregular heartbeat, originating from the heart's node, and palpitations, etc.
There are chances of a patient developing hyperthyroidism, due to over secretion of the thyroid hormones, which can result in a thyroid storm. This condition may become fatally exacerbated, if the diagnosis is not prompt and medications to normalize the condition are not administered.
Patients suffering from cardiovascular diseases may notice their condition worsening, if they are taking beta blockers in an indiscriminate manner. The symptoms of angina may become intense and end up in stroke, which may prove to be fatal.

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Well gee, maybe I can't blame all my withdrawal symptoms/effects on just cymbalta....maybe some of them were due to CT on the metoprolol ....

I did a bit of searching, for anxiety and metoprolol, and anxiety and beta blockers.....much to my surprise, beta blockers are sometimes prescribed..."off label" apparently...for anxiety....for example, speaker's anxiety....when it's physical symptoms like heart palpitations or rapid pulse before a speech or performance.....

Now I wonder if I were to go back on a low dose of metoprolol it would put a stop to my low-grade anxiety....not gonna do it(the risk of putting myself into hypotension and bradychardia outweighs the anxiety stuff) ....but just wondering....

#7 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:
    I c/t'd from 60mg in 2009. Went back on and started tapering. Spent the next 4 years trying to get off. It was very difficult. Finally stopped at 17 beads on Dec.4, 2013.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

Fishinghat, I'm taking Atenolol. I don't think my symptoms are from wd, although I know

I do have some wd effects when I drop my dosage. I started tapering because I developed

the side effects after coming off Cymbalta. I was on Nadolol for many years. After coming off

Cymbalta, I started getting severe headaches and facial flushing and other side effects

after taking the Nadolol. I have read that agitation can be a side effect of beta blockers.

I had terrible agitation and felt like I was going to throw up all the time. My doctor switched

me to Atenolol, and I had some relief for about three weeks. I still had some anxiety, but the

agitation stopped. It all started back up a few days ago. It is so hard to tell what is what.

I'd like to just get off the beta blockers and see if things improve. At this point, I would love

to just be off all meds. I do know, though, that I will probably always have to be on something for

my bp. Right now I'm taking hydrochlorothiazide and it doesn't seem to be bothering me. My dr is

hoping that might be enough to control my bp. I really appreciate all the input from everyone on here.

All the help the is really appreciated.

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Lundeliz,

When you say high bp, how high does it typically run without any meds?

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

I know how hard it is to pinpoint issues whe there is so much going on and your brain is not thinking clearly either. I have never had the nausea, weakness or insomnia whe I came off. Certainly that can happen cold turkey but I have bever heard of it when tapering. BUT, you are still having some cymbalta withdrazwal as well so when you put the two together who knows. The beta-blocker withdrawal should only last 3 weeks or less after the last dose. Mine cleared up in only 1 week.

Good luck!!

#10 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

I'm really glad to hear that, Fishinghat.  I hope my taper off the bb goes as well as yours did.  FN, I don't

really know how high my bp would be without med, as I've been on bp meds for 30 years.  Right now, I

have tapered from 40mg Nadolol down to 18.75mg Atenolol, and it is running about 135/75 for the last

two days, and I'm really happy with that.  Hoping it doesn't go crazy when I'm completely off.

#11 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

I have never thought of coming off of my BP medication. I have taken it for probably 20 yrs or more and figured this was a life time medication. My dad died of a heart attack (blessedly in his sleep) when he was only 64. He had had high BP for many years. Is it safe to completely eliminate these meds? My BP is always normal since I have been on them.

fishinghat - do you have an answer for me?

#12 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

TFL, it depends on the reason you are on the bp med. Atenolol and Clonidine are commonly used as a bp med BUT are also used to treat anxiety. I have come off nearly all of my atenolol and some of my clonidine in recent years BECAUSE I was taking them for anxiety and did not them as much. However, if you are truly taking them for high bp that is a different story. This is something that should be thoroughly discussed with your cardiologist. If you believe the cause of your high bp has been addressed and may no longer cause your bp to spike then discuss it with your dr. I know people who have dropped large amounts of weight and were able to greatly lower their bp med for example. But this must be carefully be examined first and closely monitored if the med is reduced.

#13 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

fh....thanks! My BP meds are only for that. I am resigned to the rest of my life being spent with them! This is the one thing I do not question.... I was only wondering when I read about someone wanting to get off beta blockers - I won't do that!

You are a true wealth of knowledge and a very caring friend - thanks, again! :)

#14 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Just for the record - I am taking Amlodipine (5 mg) and Benazapril (20 mg)

Until the Crapalta, I never had a weight problem and was put on the BP meds...
At least now I have lost 1/3 of that! :)

#15 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hi everyone. Im still trying to hang in there. Im working on tapering off my beta blocker and seeing a

cardiologist for help.  Im still having much anxiety, agitation, nausea, insomnia.  Trying to find a bp med

to replace the bb. Its still feeling like this will never end, just managing to get through each day, but Im

trying my very best to to believe I'll get my life back one day. Ive been off Cymbalta over 6 months now.

I'm really hoping I'll feel better after getting off the atenolol.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

It is good to here from you Lundeliz. I am sorry you are still having issues.

The atenolol withdrawal was pretty easy for me. Tapered off in 3 weeks and had one week after of mild symptoms. Some heartpounding and a slight raise in bp. But all in all not too bad.

Have you talked to your dr about maybe using Clonidine. It is an alpha antagonist used for both bp control and to treat anxiety. very effective against anxiety. Just food for thought.

#17 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hello Lundeliz & FH ..
It will be 7 months off for me tomorrow & I'm not feeling good..
I was going pretty well with some pretty good days so I decided to give up my last crutch ...Zanax .
I was on a very small dose of a tri-score tablet which when separated @ the join was 0.50 mg which I managed to take just once & occasionally /rarely twice a day .
This was 4days ago .
My question is , am I relapsing from the Cymbalta withdrawal ????.
Is it withdrawel from the Zanax ????.
Is it from my lifestyle ATM ?...
Is it my original depression / anxiety returning ???.
HOW AM I FEELING you ask ?..
1. I am depressed.
2. I have bad physical feelings , eg pins & needles all over , nausea , crying , scared , anxiety , sadness & anger.
3. I generally feel like I am a burden on my family & they just don't want to know !!!..
HELP PLEASE !!:-(

#18 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:
    I am here to gain support and support others

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

Dear Wagtail,

First of all, I'm sorry you are feeling this way! It's so difficult to play this guessing game...

Fishinghat would be the best source of info, but my first guess is that you are withdrawing from the xanax...it's a benzodiazepine isn't it? I'm on clonopin and you're not supposed to quit it cold turkey...I would encourage you to google xanax withdrawalsymptoms until FH has some advice for you...

Your depression and anxiety...can be exacerbated by not taking the xanax, yes, your lifestyle, your new symptoms...it sounds like maybe you could take a xanax to feel a bit better until FH can help you? Just a suggestion..

I will say a prayer for you..God will never leave your side through this ordeal...and we won't either...Hang in there..you will get through this process.

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Wagtail, good for you. You had the courage to stop the zanax. You have to realize you were taking the zanax to help with the Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms. So now that it is no longer present you can expect some returm of some of the Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms. I think I would have cut my dose of zanax in half for about 2 weeks and then stop but you will be OK. Your body just has to readjust some more but it shouldn't be like the original withdrawal. This should be a lot less severe and a lot shorter. Some of he anxiety, anger and such is also from coming of the zanax itself but just be patient. Just baby yourself for a while and your body will take care of the rest. One of the benefits you will see when you settle down is an improvement in short term memory and better cognitive abilities.

#20 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

Wagtail, I am so sorry you are going through this.  You have had a terrible time these past months...

Do you think you might go a bit slower on your Zanax withdrawal?  Just a thought to help you to feel more comfortable.

I wanted to check in to let you know that you are in my thoughts, dear forum friend.

Love, hugs and prayers to you :hug:

#21 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Ittybitty, FH , Trying ....thank you so much for responding ,I don't need to tell any of you what it means to get affirmation.
It's 1.55 pm here in Australia & Ive spent all day on the lounge feeling scared & alone ( even though my husband is home )I feel I'm a bourden ...
I feel like I'm letting everyone down because I can't do what they need of me... It's grandparents day @ my grandsons school next week & just the thought of spending a whole day from 9.30am until 3.pm there has put pressure on me & it's making me feel worse .
I'm worrying about absolutely everything & it's not normal to feel like this .
I'm sure that is withdrawel but needed to hear it from you guys.
I might cut a piece off my small piece of 0.50 mgs of Zanax & see if it just takes the edge off @ least & tomorrow I will see if I can get an appointment with a therapist , I need someone who can sort out my thinking for me .
Thanks again everyone ..

#22 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:19 AM

Thank you fishinghat, I'll check into the Clonidine. I don't know anything about

that one, but I'll do some reading up on it. Thanks again.

#23 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:32 AM

Wagtail, I'm out of "likes" for the day, but I LIKE your post!

#24 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Oh, it's one of those days.  Having trouble coping today.  I'm having a horrific pressure headache,

with bad nausea.  I thought I was past the akathisia, but I have spent some time today pacing the

floors.  I dropped down my dosage of atenolol last night. I don't know if that has anything to do with

my bad day. It usually doesn't affect me for a couple of days, but it's all so unpredictable.  I guess

I just came on here to whine a little bit.  And I am 62 years old today.  I hope on my 63rd birthday,

I will look at this post, and it will all be just a bad memory for everyone here.

#25 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

OH, Lundeliz...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling so badly .  Are you suffering from anxiety or is it more the nausea and headache?

I would like to wish you a Happy Birthday! :D I certainly hope that it won't be a year of your feeling so awful!

I wish you the best and please know that I will keep you in my thoughts...

Hugs and prayers,

Liz :hug:

#26 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Happy Birthday, Lundeliz!!!

I hope you are going to do, or have done, something nice for yourself to celebrate your 62d year!

You may not notice/realize, because you're so busy living all of this, but you've made such huge and positive progress since you've been posting here! I went back just now to reread as many of your older posts as I could find....you should do likewise...from where you were "then" to where you are "now" is a world of difference, of improvement .... and yes, you've had a lot of really rough, hard days during this process ... yet you're still here, still determined to get through all this and to keep living your life to the fullest you can ...

I say BRAVO! :-D

#27 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thank you so much, FN. You are always so supportive.  For you to take the time to read my old

posts, shows me just how sincere you really are.  I agree that I am having some better days now.

But wow, the bad ones hit hard.  I will go back and read my old posts like you suggested. Thank

you!    TinF, thank you so much for the birthday wishes, and for the support.  It seems I was hit

with all of it today.  My birthday wish is for all of us to have more and more better days in the

coming year.

#28 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Happy Birthday Lundeliz .... I was sick on my birthday also this year .... Damn withdrawels ..

Come in her to have a winge whenever you need too , I've been more negative than positive lately ...just got off the phone with my doctor ... She's changed me from Ativan to Valium ...I'm now on Clonidine 1mcg twice a day & 5 mg Valium every 7 hours ..I took 5 mg Valium before bed last night @ 9.30pm & woke @ 1.30 am with the start of anxiety ... I managed to last until 5 am before I took another 5 mgs Valium .. It's 9 am & I can't function because of the anxiety .... Shit shit shit ... That Ativan is so addictive & has dreadful withdrawal ...:-(((((
Sorry everyone it's a bad day !!!!

#29 Lundeliz

Lundeliz

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • why_joining:

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Im so sorry, Wagtail!  This all just really stinks!   The anxiety just makes everything else seem twice

as bad.  I really hope you get it controlled, Wagtail.  I'm not sure how long you have been off Cymbalta,

I am almost 7 months off.  I also have a hard time staying positive.  I truly hope your days will get easier

and easier.  Let's hang in and hang on.  Surely better days are coming.

#30 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Thank you Lundeliz , I will be 7 months off on the 16 th of this month ... Most of the physical s/e's have almost gone but the mental problems eg anxiety , fear & panic have gained momentum .. :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users