Photo

Put On Cymbalta For Nerve Pain But Want To Try Stopping.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 buntbean

buntbean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

I have a nerve disorder called corneal neuralgia.  It feels like welding sparks/bacon grease flying into your corneas.  Nine years ago I was hospitalized and put on Cymbalta 60mg, Tramadol, Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Methadone, and Neurontin.  Over the past 2 years I've stopped the Tramadol, Clonazepam, and Methadone.  Now I'd like to go off Cymbalta too but my doctor doesn't want me to because it's suppose to help with nerve pain.  Has anyone else had nerve pain relieved with just the Neurontin after going off Cymbalta?  I have 30 and 20mg tablets.  I start 40mg tonight and plan to move slowly.  I know how bad withdrawl can be considering I went off the Methadone.  Thank you in advance.

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hi buntbean, welcome!

Bravo for getting off the cymbalta! And wow, just wow, for getting off those other meds! You've clearly got lots of experience with what withdrawal is like....you may find cymbalta to be one of the biggest challenges..... and you can do it!

First thing, if you're at 60 mg now, don't drop to 40....use the bead counting method....it will be easier...more gradual...and you'll have some control over the withdrawal, rather than having the withdrawal control you....coming down by even just 20 mg is a big step, and it'll dump you right into withdrawal....unnecessarily.....

Your doc does not know how hard it is to get off this stuff....

I can't speak to your question about nerve pain...I think there are others here who can.....they'll be chiming in soon...although because it's the Memorial Day weekend they may be a bit delayed....

Please stay with us and keep posting. We'll do everything we can to help you!

#3 buntbean

buntbean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:19 AM

Thank you for your kind words.  I'm nervous because my most recent prx was the generic which I've never used before.  I've never had a problem with generics before but it's scary nonetheless.  I've heard how hard it is to get off Cymbalta which is why it's the last on my list.  Also afraid my pain will worsen.  

#4 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hi BB. Your fear could be right. Your pain might get worse. BUT it may not as well and even with the worse case scenario you can always go back on it. You have a good chance in being successful. The research says that only 50% of the people who take cymbalta for pain get significant releif.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

I also forgot to mention that you could be avoiding some of the long term use problems. Like liver damage, sexual problems, and so many more.

#6 Baxy1

Baxy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:24 AM

I have been prescribed Cymbalta for severe nerve pain (in my feet) as well.  I was taking 120 mg per day and I came dangerously close to ruining my life, career, finances and personal relationships.  I quit cold turkey 5 days ago and I am now taking 1 gabapentin (neurontin) in the evening and advil/aleve during the day to get through work if needed. It's been an awful experience to say the least.  I have been working with a natural healing doctor (he is legit...trust me) and we have been working towards building up my nutrition with medi-herbs, real food suchas more fruits and veggies and accupuncture.  By learning what foods sparked the pain and avoiding them (in my case, sugary drinks (of course!) corn and milk) I have been able to manage the pain.  Tuesday will be my first visit with him since quitting Cymbalta so I am very interested in his reaction. 

Also, I don't know why but I can honestly say that the pain/swelling/hot pins& needle sensation in my feet has lessened since I quit 120 mg/day of Cymbalta.  Maybe that dose was more than my body could process or deal with in one day??

#7 DoneWithCrap

DoneWithCrap

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a zombie of too long.
    I want a life!

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hi Baxy1

I was prescribed Cymbalta several years ago for fibromyalgia pain. I did get relief in the beginning. Started at 20mg and ramped up to 80mg a day. From everything I have read, there is no benefit to doses above 60mg so 120mg is crazy.

After some time on the Cymbalta I became practically useless. It crept up on my so slow that I didn't notice it happening. I have no concept of time. I can't concentrate any better than a toddler with ADHD and I lost motivation to do anything. My mind is so unorganized that I have started many big projects but can't complete anything. I'm a creative person and like to work with my hands. I have half finished quilts, dog leashes/collars, leather works (I impulsively bought a used industrial cylinder type sewing machine for $1000 while out looking for hardware to make my paracord dog leashes. Next thing you know I own a huge sewing machine that I have a hard time using because I have little control of my muscle strength and spasms. I have bought thousands of dollars on fabric and supplies to make quilts for combat veterans. I have only made 3 and a half quilts and I have 4 others started but got "stuck" on how I want to proceed  on them. Did I mention that I cant make a decision on anything? I can't decide what to eat, what to wear, what to do or how to do anything. The decisions that I do make are impulsive and usually huge. Like buying that sewing machine and a new car the day I looked at it. Didn't even take it on the road for a test drive. I have also spent about $800 on supplies to make dog leashes and collars but have so many ideas on different styles to make that I find myself getting one almost done then taking it all apart to do it differently. The sides of my index fingers are calloused and cracking from working with the paracord to the point where I cant braid it anymore.From the 3000 feet of paracord I bought I have made 7 leashes and 4 collars. Not exactly high production rate.

But I got ahead of myself in my rambling. The Cymbalta did help with pain when I first started taking it but then the pain came back and a different kind of pain. 

Ran out of things to say here. got to go do something/anything. I just made myself depressed thinking about hao disfunctional I am :(

Best of luck to you. Ill check in in later and more frequently.

#8 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

Welcome Baxy!

I'm so sorry to hear that you are 5 days into the cold turkey trip.  I quit that way because I didn't find this forum until I was 2 weeks into it and just kept going - a long, nasty dive to horrible withdrawal.

This is harder on those of us over 50 and since you don't mention any terrible symptoms, I gather that you are considerably younger!  I wish you the best - hang on tight as it can get to be quite an experience.  I have been off the poison for almost 11 months now and am finally rid of the worst symptoms including the excruciating anxiety that I had never experienced in my life until this discontinuation.

I wish you the best and please feel free to come back to ask questions, vent, cry or whatever!  This is a safe place with wonderful, caring and supportive people.  I don't know how I would have made it without them. :)

Liz

#9 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hello Baxy, and wellcome,

Tfl is right in saying Hold on tight, going from your dosage to zero can be quite an experience.

Cold turkey is not recommended here, we favor the bead counting, but it is a personal choice.

If it gets really tough, you can reinstate at 90 and see how it goes.
If not to bad, go to 60 when you are stable. If not, here comes the bead count.

Keep us posted, any questions, doubts, and there will be, we are here.

#10 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Thank God for your post, Renee! I am your twin in so many aspects, all actually;), of what you said. I really needed this today as I have been beating myself up with guilt, regret, etc. and your honesty relieved me! One thing I've got in progress (mental only!) is 100 pair of thongs with $1200 worth of various beads! I was going to 'decorate' the thongs with them. I have no idea what I was going to do with 100 pair of beaded thongs! That's just one of my 'ongoing' projects that never got finished...in this case, I decorated 4pr and gave them to girlfriends. So, I'm down to 96 pair! Progress, right? Oy!

#11 Baxy1

Baxy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I wish I had found this site weeks ago!

Renee: I hear you on the "impulses". I turned into a freak gambler who went through gobs of money before the fog cleared and put "two and two" together. Looking back, I am horrified, ashamed and embarrassed by my actions but at the time it was like ..."WEEEEE...no consequences, I will worry about it tomorrow..wooo hooo!!"   Yeah... I can seriously relate to being run over by the "impulse" truck.  

TFL:  48...does that make me "younger"??? =) I have had severe withdrawal symptoms:  fatigue, depression, emotional crying, brain zaps, can't find the word I am looking for sometimes, lose train of thought, can't finish a sentence, flash anger...the works...but I am soldiering through it. I was only on the drug for 6 months so maybe that is why I haven't had to revert back to the evil poison as of yet.

Gail:  I've been reading up on the bead counting on the forum but honestly had not heard of it before yesterday.  I can't say I made a concious choice to quit "cold turkey"; I just didn't know any better. I had an appoitment with the neuro on Nov 7 (last Friday) and I was telling her how it was ruining my life and I wanted off the merry-go-round. She said...and I quote... "Just quit taking it!".  So I did. =/ No explanation of withrawals, symptoms to watch out for or possibility of seizures.  I am now on 1 gabapentin per day (at night) and I'm taking advil/aleve as needed during the day.   Don't get me wrong, my withdrawal has been severe but I am getting through it somehow.  Maybe because I was only on the med for six months and not longer??  My problem is we know I have painful neuropathy in my feet (thank you Lord that it is not in my hands!) but this neuro can't tell me what kind or why. (Time for a new doc?? I say YES!!)   I have a referral to Barnes in St. Louis and they are supposed to be the #1 neuro hospital in the US.  I will see what Barnes has to say but I am NOT going back on Cymbalta if I can help it.

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

Baxy,

I'm so sorry that you are really going through all the miserable withdrawal symptoms.  You were really on a high dosage - now that you have checked out the bead counting, I hope that you will go back on the Cymbalta - say 90 mg until you are stable, as Gail suggested.  Once there, start bead counting and you will have control over those horrible symptoms.  I wish that I would have known about this method before I did the cold turkey route - I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT !!  (Nor would anyone on this forum who went that way!)

Bead counting will let you go at your own pace and you can stop at any time to stabilize and then begin counting down again from where you left off.  We have one member who could only increase by 1 bead each day, but she made it and has been off for several months now!

I also recommend using a benzo such as Valium, Xanax, or such to help you through this - it is invaluable!!

Hang in there - you can do this !!! 

Liz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users