• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:
    I am here to gain support and support others

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hi, 

Last week I started weaning off 60 mg down to 30 right away...and started 40 mg Celexa. My doc never suggested bead counting...I've been tracking my symptoms and have experienced zaps and dizzyness but have slept fine.

WHAM, today I got blasted with three times as much dizziness and zapping...I feel zombie-like.

Thinking it was part allergy symptoms I took a Claritin...that helped somewhat...less dizziness while seated.

My psychiatrist called back and told me to double my Celexa which i am supposed to do tomorrow anyway, report any changes and then call tomorrow afternoon.

The worsening of symptoms must suggest I'm weaning too fast? Thanks to the advice of others on this forum, I am going to stay on the Cymbalta until my doc and I deal with this.

From your experience, do side effects get worse before they get better? I'm clueless at this point...

#2 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

IBS, with normal withdrawal, yes the symptoms get worse before they get better. At that dosage of celexa should start seeing some light improvement in about a week. Once you get on the 80 mg of celexa don't try going up on your Cymbalta. Keep at 30 on the Cymbalta until you start settling down. If you get too much ssri or snri in your system at once they can cause a condition called serotonin syndrome which is a very serious condition. Fever of up to 106, etc.

I know the withdrawal is tough but you are just going to have to stick it out until the celexa kicks in.

#3 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

Fishinghat, 80mg of Celexa, is that standard procedure?

Seems to me that this is way too much. Heard of 20 and 40, but 80?

Of course, I could be in the wrong. Sure hope that IBS is not over 60, as you mentionned once that Celexa was not to be given more than 20 or is it 30mg for people over 60.

#4 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Godlike and Fishing hat, good friend,

Thank you...;o)

Thanks for your concern...no worries though.  I took another 20 so that i took 40 yesterday, and from now on, will take 40 mg. Somewhere else on the web yesterday i read a post about a 20 mg Celexa? That can't be true.

#5 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hi IBS. The recommended maximum dose is 40 on Celexa. I must assume the dr put you on 80 to build it up in your body faster and give some relief to the cymbalta withdrawal symptoms and then will lower it back down to 40.

Meanwhile Gail remembers correctly. The FDA has issues a warning on Celexa (it is posted in the 'Cymbalta in the News' forum). The FDA recommends not to take Celexa at a dose of 40 mg/day or more as it can cause severe cardiac arrythmias (irregular heart beats).

#6 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hi god like, Gail,

No, i only took a total of 40 yesterday...i took 20 as directed in the morning and by afternoon took an additional 20...I left a message for my doc to see if i have any existing heart rhythm issues..

Thanks for the info though...We have to stick together with all these poisons and their potential to kill us off. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users