• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19752843

Improves dementia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2553721/

There is a one paragraph review in this document that discusses their reviews if ssri/snri on dementia. They state that the results of studies have “mixed results”.

Here is a copy of their references for that section. Obviously not all apply to cymbalta.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2553721/table/T1/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656299/

Effects of cymbalta on Alzheimers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC544561/

Please note that dementia is listed as a “serious adverse event’.

http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/cymbalta/dementia

Basically .2% report developing dementia while on cymbalta.

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

I wonder how many don't report having dementia...because they have dementia.....

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

FN.....lol :lol:

#4 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

you made me giggle FN  and I had forgotton 'how' till I quit Cymb

#5 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:51 PM

This scares me very much as my darling mother developed early onset Alziemers in her mid 60's & suffered dreadfully until she passed away @ 73 yrs .
I am worried that I might carry the gene & reading this terrifies me , yes I am a worrier !.

My dad passed away @ 58 yrs of age from Massive heart attack , I was 28yo @ the time & did my best to save him but wasn't successful .
I guess my main health concerns are getting Alziemers or having a heart attack , so to think I might have unknowingly tipped the scales towards dementia by taking Cymbalta makes me REALLY angry & scared .
Both my much loved parents passed away in my arms & this did have a negative effect on me & was a part of the reason I had a breakdown & put on Cymbalta .

One word for this DAMN !...

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

Well I am not sure you are right wagtail. Some drs say you can use Cymbalta to treat dementia in Alzheimers cases. Some say may cause dementia. Who knows.

#7 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

My oldest sister, 67, was diagnosed 3 years ago with Frontal Temporal Lobe dementia (FTD). I see no difference between FTD and Alzheimer's in her ravaging symptoms & disease! She has progressively gotten so bad it is devasting and terrifying at the same time. She was on Cymbalta and various other a/d's most of her adult life! We used to refer to them as our "happy pills!" Scares the living hell out of me as I am trying to kick Cymgotcha! now! I did no due diligence in studying this crap before withdrawal symptoms began ravaging my body and mind when I started down dosing off 120mg!! After all, it was prescribed by a doctor:o right??

I'm posting the information about my sister as I am now wondering if there really IS a correlation! NO FAMILY HISTORY of any dementia ever, even into the 80's with my mother who was sharper than either of us ever were on the 'mads!' on our best days, haha!

I'm just sayin'...

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

Cy silk, contact the law firm Knox Ricksen and join their effort to make the evils of cymbalta known...they are representing us individually at first, for settlements for injuries, then plan to bring us together into a class action.

Xman started a post on this over in cymbalta in the news and I added lots more info yesterday.

If you can't find the thread, I'll repost it here...

#9 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

CymSik

I'm sorry to hear about you sister.

I'm familiar with the "happy pills" term-  we're in a Brave New World crisis that has emerged not from government (although they approved it), but from private enterprise. Who knew?

Is there a link between dementia and psychiatric drugs? The answer to that question is just unfolding now; we ARE the history. This is all too new, and the pharmaceutical companies do say that the long-term effects are unknown.

Well, maybe long-term is now!

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Agreed, TM!

And this is yet another reason for us to continue to get off these meds, to the extent we can, and to reach out to warn others....I'm also concerned about myself and dementia...my mom had it...some docs said she had Alzheimer's , others dementia, all I know is that it started showing in her late 60s....I'm in my early 60s....I intend to do everything I can to take care of my cognitive functions, and to try to recoup as much as I can that was lost to cymbalta....and to do anything I can to put a stop to the drug devils....

#11 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Thank you, FN & TM! I don't believe I can talk on the phone to this law clerk...I can't even pick up the phone to speak with a friend! Where did this insanity come from?! I feel so isolated and even shamed by the condition I'm in...slept with the IPad next to me with this site open in case I felt I was going to die last night. Alas, I'm still on reading as many posts as I can until my eyesight becomes so blurred & painful I can't see:/

Sorry, didn't mean to whine it's just that for the last two months of down dosing I didn't know how toxic this dope was/is! The throbbing pain in my extremities is unbearable at this moment, but I'm gonna keep reading & keep the faith that we can all together make a difference and right this demonizing injustice put on so many of us, long & short term guinnea(sic?) pigs!!
Hopefully, paving the way to have it banned!!

#12 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

Cy silk, contact the law firm Knox Ricksen and join their effort to make the evils of cymbalta known...they are representing us individually at first, for settlements for injuries, then plan to bring us together into a class action.
Xman started a post on this over in cymbalta in the news and I added lots more info yesterday.
If you can't find the thread, I'll repost it here...

I messed up the quote thing! I did read your post before returning here! I thought 'Wow' FN has courage and has come through the storm to be able to talk to the law office and write all she did about the conversation!

#13 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

CymSik

Things to get better with time. Slowly. FN has waged a long hard battle and I respect her for her courage.

#14 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thank you for saying that Fishinghat, coming from you it is high praise indeed! 'Cept I don't necessarily think it's courage....I'm just a pig headed product of pig headed Irish and Dutch descent...and, we seem to do best when we've got an opponent to take a few swings at....once in awhile we connect, and that's worth the struggle ;-)

Cymsilk, yes, it's far far too soon for you to be reaching out to a law firm....those of us who can will do that for you. Zachary has our website, and he and his team will be reading what's posted here...just keep posting what you're experiencing, the good the bad and the ugly....that's a huge contribution to what they're trying to do for us!

And, you're not insane....I couldn't pick up the phone for weeks...I couldn't even form a coherent thought without great effort....that's why posting here was such a lifeline....by communicating in writing I was able to take each word one at a time, and try to string them into sentences....as it is, as I look back at some of the stuff I wrote, I don't think I was doing too well with even that!

Your whole CNS is rewiring itself....it knows what it needs to do, but it takes time for it to remake the connections, and reroute things where necessary.....during the process, sparks definitely fly and there are error messages galore....you, who you really are, is just sort of along for the ride....and yes, it does fade and pass...and the rewiring is an ongoing process....it just becomes more bearable and manageable...

.give yourself time, allow yourself to wait out the process....and come here and say anything anytime!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users