• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alexasta

alexasta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

I just went cold turkey off cymbalta 3 days ago. I may be pregnant & I have zero desire to be on so many medications if I am. This has been the most miserable 3 days & from mt research it seems that I will only get worse. Every time I move I get the horrendous brain zaps. I can't even carry my daughter around. Tonight I was walking with her & I became so weak I almost passed out on the way home & I ended up collapsing on the grass. I can barely catch my breath & my vision goes dim around the edges constantly. I feel so weak. I feel like i need oxygen. How long does this last? I just want to curl up in a ball & not move. Ever. (Wow, I'm such a ray of sunshine. Ha!)

#2 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

Welcome, alexasta! I'm glad you found us!

We've had some other members who are, or want to become pregnant and decided to quit this poison....I'll find links to those discussions and post them here for you.....

You definitely have the withdrawal symptoms happening....what dose were you on, for how long, and what other meds are you taking? And, does your shrink and/or pediatrician know you quit cold turkey? That's the hardest way to come off this stuff...I know, because I did it....were I to have it to do again, I'd use the bead counting method....opening the capsules and removing a few...even just one...beads at a time....it gives you more control over the process and makes the symptoms somewhat easier...others here who used that method can tell you more....

Do you have anyone who can help you care for your child a bit while you do this?

Also, do you know yet for sure if you're pregnant? You said "may be" but I just wanted to check that....

Ok, brb with those links....

#3 alexasta

alexasta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

I was only on 20mg for 6 months. Zoloft for about 18 months before that. I have a pretty extensive health history & take a few other things on a daily basis. I'm on aspirin for a blood thinner due to heart problems, metformin for pcos, ibuprofen & excedrine for migraines almost daily, & I take a melatonin supplement to sleep. I also have a toddler that usually doesn't sleep through the night. Exhaustion seems to not help things. & I will not know if I'm pregnant til I get blood work back next week. We'll see. I'm nervous that my underlying health issues could complicate things.

#4 alexasta

alexasta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Unfortunately we don't live near family. & of course my husband & my best friend that are the only helpful people I have in this city, will both be gone the next few weeks. I had no idea this was so serious. I don't go to a psychiatrist or anyone that would really know. My obgyn prescribed it to me. I love him but he probably had no idea either.

#5 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thanks you for the additional info....it will help us help you....and hopefully the facts that you are young, and were on a very low dose of the stuff, for a relatively short time will make this easier for you...

First thing to know is that you are not alone, you are now part of a wonderful community of caring and knowledgeable people, and we'll do everything we can to help you through this!

The second thing is to read up on pregnancy and cymbalta...the more you know the more you'll feel in control....

Here are the links I found right off the bat...there are others I think, and I'll add them tomorrow (long day for me, need sleep!) others will be chiming in soon to say hello and add their suggestions....

https://www.cymbalta...by/?hl=pregnant

https://www.cymbalta...il/?hl=pregnant

https://www.cymbalta...022&hl=pregnant

https://www.cymbalta...ng/?hl=pregnant

https://www.cymbalta...wl/?hl=pregnant

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

Good lord, I wonder why he did that!!!

For depression? Was it post-partum depression from your first child?

Our experience is that very very few shrinks or GPs know anything about this stuff other than what the Eli Lilly sales reps tell them...which means they're clueless at best, and disbelieving at worst, about how hard withdrawal is for a significant number of people....

Oh my...well, one step at a time....first read what's posted in those other threads....that will make you more informed than your GP!

I'm signing off until tomorrow...hang in there, you can do this!

#7 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

Oops...one more link...to a forum page with several research article discussions listed/linked...

https://www.cymbalta...h&fromMainBar=1

#8 alexasta

alexasta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Yes it was for depression. I was depressed for about a year before my pregnancy & finally admitted I needed help toward the end. It got pretty severe after I had my daughter & I still go thru weeks that you would never know I'm on something to help by my actions.

I appreciate your help. It means a lot. I don't know where else to turn since no one I know really gets it.

#9 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

Just checking in after one of my "old lady bladder" trips to the bathroom..... ;-)

Well, you've come to the perfect place, alexasta....every single one of us "gets it"!!

This forum has been/is my saving grace....a safe haven...full of wisdom, humor, and encouragement....I would never have gotten off the crapalta unless I had found this place (7-8 yrs at 60 mg per day)....

#10 ZappAlta

ZappAlta

Great Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:52 AM

Alexasta I had the exhaustion and laboured breathing w/d symptoms -reading back on my calender notes here it lasted about 4 days. I too quit c/t off a 20 mg dose for about 18 months.  Keep a daily calender chart and you will find the horrible w/d symptoms will reduce kinda weekly or so >read back on your notes as a reminder and it will keep you focused and determined .I am now almost 8 months off and other than I getting real tired or having any alcohol my symptoms stay away. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users