#1 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

Well I guess it is time to post an update on the my war against medicine.

For the many newcomers here a breif synopsis on my past with Cymbalta.

Had a nervous breakdown in 2002.  From 2002 I have been on many different meds to try to get me back to 'normal'.

Was switched from effexor to cymbalta in Jan of 2009. Dr said it had less side effects. Now I must confess it did a very good job of controlling my anxiety.

In 2012 Cymbalta crashed by testosterone production. My free testosterone went from over 400 mg/dl to 63 in 6 months. I developed gynocomastia. I joined this site in very early 2013. With the help of several kind souls like Greenmachine and Lady Nancy I was introduced to the bead counting method.

It took 60 days to wean and I was very lucky. I had NO withdrawal symptoms until I got down to the last 10 beads. Then all hell broke loose. Digestive problems, dizziness, agitation, anger.....etc. Those symptoms Slowly faded from the 2nd week to the 4th week. By the end of hte 4th week all withdrawal symptoms gone EXCEPT an overwhelming fear of immediate death. I fought that for 3 months. I slept curled up in a corner with the lights on and many a nights it took 3 to 4 mg lorazepam just to get to sleep. I didn;t want to go back on an ssri/snri so the dr tried several different drugs that wound up having no effect on the fear. I couldn't handle the fear any longer and was put on zoloft.

The zoloft brought things under control so it was time to come off the earlier meds. As of this date only 2 meds left to come off of. First lorazepam. I am currently weaning of it. I have used lorazepam 3 times earlier in my life (about 4 to 5 months each time) and came off of it fairly easily with a slow wean of 5 to 10% every 14 days.

This time is different. First of all I have been on it over a year. Second, I took as much as 6 mg/day. I have finally got down 16% in dose, from 4 mg/day to 3.36 mg/day. Dropping 2 or 3 % every 3 to 5 weeks. This last drop was a 2% drop and I am on the 5th week of 'recovery' and things are the same or worse than last week. Now with these small drops I am making the symptoms tolerable so I continue to wait for things to clear before another drop.

I saw my pdoc yesterday and continue to be impressed with the man. He showed me some recent research from the last few years where in certain cases a small precentage of benzo addicts take 2 to 6 years to wean off. Benzos cause a change to your gaba receptors and once you start weaning those receptors are what causes the withdrawal BUT they DO eventually heal. Normal time span...around two years. A note. If you ever suffer from benzo addiction it is important to NOT take any benzos the first 2 years after coming off a benzo addiction. You are more likely to become addicted to the new benzo.

As I was saying I am 5 weeks since the last drop of 2%. He said just wait to you heal and then drop again. Don't rush it this may take a long time.The important thing is that it is only uncomfortable so I can deal with it til it passes. And before anyone asks about changing to diazepam...He did not want to change to a drug I have never been on and possible complicate the issue. We hope to be 50% off the drug by the first of the year. After the lorazepam the only drug left to try and come off of is the zoloft. But that is another story.

Sorry about being long winded.

#2 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

May God continue to bless you♥
TheEquusWoman♥

#3 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

FH...

Many thanks for sharing all of that...I was not on this site when you joined and I am in awe of all that you have accomplished.   You are a true inspiration to all of us here.  

God bless

#4 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

You don't talk about yourself much, if ever, Fishinghat....you devote all of your time and energy here to helping the rest of us.....thank you for taking the time to write this to us, for sharing this with us.....you may not feel like it, but you are a hero....you've come through what is clearly hell, you continue to struggle with issues that are clearly hell, and you do it with humor, grace and courage....and some fabulous research to back it all up! ;-)

Don't you dare ever leave us, we need you!

Xoxox

#5 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

FH, it is so nice to hear from you. Thanks for sharing this with us. Just one thing, what happened with the hydroxizine? or maybe you forgot to mention it.

Again, slowly will do the job. Just love you, said that before, I know, saying it again.

#6 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the kind words. Gail the hydroxyzine continues to be one of my main tools in combating the anxiety. The hope is that in the long range I will be on hydroxyzine, clonidine and atenolol only. NO SSRI/SNRI. We will see what happens. Now that  I am somewhat stable I find it is easier to be patient. lol

#7 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:
    I am here to gain support and support others

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Fishinghat,

Thank you so much for opening up to us...as you help us all so much..it's our turn to support you;o)

#8 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I hope you are all having a less symptomatic day!

I can't drive to my pdoc appointment this afternoon because i'm too dizzy...I really wanted to get started on a weaning plan...he is willing to do it...thank you FH for the plan you have helped us follow. I copied it to Word and was going to take it with me.

Yesterday I was not dizzy but slept all day. It's an unpredictable pattern since restarting Celexa.

So I left a message..the p nurse called back and I told her I feel my life has been taken from me. She had no clue why i'm dizzy...don't these nurses read our charts? Don't they know anything about drugs or are they glorified secretaries? I asked for a RX for meclazine...the last RX didn't make me drowsy...this OTC claims it's a less drowsy form of Dramamine but makes me want to sleep...

The dizziness is a side effect of the Celexa...and I'm pretty sure it's a combo of the withdrawal and the Celexa...

I'm taking loads of EPA and it's not helping...

FH, have you been on TheRoadBack website? Have you heard of Neuro Endure Mini? It's recommended for withdrawal.

so i will hope and pray that i won't be dizzy next Thursday!!

btw..I apologize for not being as supportive of all of you as you are to me...I've got a lot on my plate trying to take care of my disabled mom..

Best wishes today...Be good to yourself!!

#9 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

No IBS. I am not familiar with the Neuro Endure Mini. I have so many allergies to supplements that I sort of shy away from them. I am allergic to Vit E and all the B vitamins, Omega 3, garlic pills. I was even hospitalized once for using Keri Hand Lotion!!!  I had hard callouses on my feet and my dr recommended Keri to soften them up. After 4 days of use I was vomiting so hard that I was coughing up blood. When I saw pcp 3 days after the hospital visit he said he could still smell the hand lotion on my breath!!! Hard to believe a hand lotion could do that.

#10 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

fishinghat

You have endured so much difficulty yet you are so level and compassionate! We are so very very fortunate to have you here on this forum! Thank you.

#11 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

Thanks TM. Coming from you that is a great compliment. Thank you so much.

#12 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

fishinghat: my gosh, i can't imagine what you are going through and you are still motivated to encourage the rest of us. that is a lot to juggle - all those meds and the struggle to get off as many as you can. it sounds as thought you have a real plan in place, and a good pdoc to work on that with you. my pdoc's advice to me was if i feel any withdrawal symptoms it means i shold go back on cymbalta. no chance in %$#% i'm doing that. as a result i have the tremendous resources available here - which are all ya'all!

in my darkest times i keep telling myself what i already "know" that it is a gift to be able to extract each breath we take and that  greatitude is still deep inside me, even if i can't feel it at the time, its there and i will feel it again. 

#13 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Fishinghat " YOU'RE THE MAN " , goodness what can I say that hasn't already been said except ditto to all the above . I have told you numerous times my thoughts on the person I see you to be .
You have possibly saved many lives that you're not even aware of , you have most certainly helped me crawl out of a few dark places .
It's the unknown that scares most of the souls who come on here looking for the support & information the medical system can't or won't give them .
This is where most of us get the STRENGH we need to continue on every day & for this moment in time you have been relegated to our fearless leader " God Like ".
As we all know there are others following close in your footsteps eg Thismoment , Fivenotions & the other regular saints .
Your story has touched my heart & it shows that you have walked the walk & have the experience to talk the talk .
Good luck for the rest of your journey , I hope we are all able to one day help you celebrate your total freedom .
:-))))

#14 GonnaMakeIt

GonnaMakeIt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

DITTO DITTO DITTO to all of the above!  FH you truly are God-Like and I for one am honored to have been helped by your posts SO MANY TIMES and truly amazed that you have given so much while going through so much more!!  YOU ROCK!!!

#15 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:36 PM

Thank you all so much. I am honored. I have fought anxiety for 12 years and God has blessed me with so many things not the least of which is the strength to carry on. When the cymbalta withdrawal started He lead me this site and my friends. As soon as I started coming out of my dark pit of hell I had the feeling that God was giving me a chance to give back to others. I am planning to stay with this site as long as I can be of help.

God bless you all and hang in there. You can do it. Patience and determination.

#16 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:57 PM

You guys have taught me what patience and strength really is. With all of you behind me how can I fail?! 

#17 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

Now I'm crying, FH.....good tears.....tears of gratitude that I have, this forum, every single person who participates, to turn to for help and support...to share my sorrows and successes with.....and now, we also have a wonderful law firm, and Zachary and Tyler, who are here to help us make our voices heard....

Xman, to you goes the credit...and gratitude...for finding Knox Ricksen and telling us about them...thank you!

#18 tria

tria

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

FH - Another DITTO to everything that's been said here!!  You are so supportive and helpful to everyone here, I know we are all glad for the opportunity to return the favor, if needed!   I have no doubt that you will succeed!! You have such patience and a good plan for getting off the meds.  I'm good at the planning, but definitely need to take a cue from you in the patience department.  I agree with GonnaMakeIt - YOU ROCK!! :D 

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Thanks Tria. That patience I demonstrate? Well I learned it here from the people on this site. I can assure you that prior to coming on board here I wasn't known for my patience!!  lol

#20 navywife43

navywife43

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the update! I wish you the best! Thanks also for being there when I had stupid questions regarding Cymbalta, Effexor, and Zoloft! :P

#21 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Thank you fishinghat for sharing your story and being here for us all when we had nowhere to go but here! You are certainly an inspiration! Keep up the good fight! God is going to continue to bless you with the healing that only HE can give! Cyber hugs to you, my friend!!!! :)

#22 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I hope you are all having a less symptomatic day!I can't drive to my pdoc appointment this afternoon because i'm too dizzy...I really wanted to get started on a weaning plan...he is willing to do it...thank you FH for the plan you have helped us follow. I copied it to Word and was going to take it with me.Yesterday I was not dizzy but slept all day. It's an unpredictable pattern since restarting Celexa.So I left a message..the p nurse called back and I told her I feel my life has been taken from me. She had no clue why i'm dizzy...don't these nurses read our charts? Don't they know anything about drugs or are they glorified secretaries? I asked for a RX for meclazine...the last RX didn't make me drowsy...this OTC claims it's a less drowsy form of Dramamine but makes me want to sleep...The dizziness is a side effect of the Celexa...and I'm pretty sure it's a combo of the withdrawal and the Celexa...I'm taking loads of EPA and it's not helping...FH, have you been on TheRoadBack website? Have you heard of Neuro Endure Mini? It's recommended for withdrawal.so i will hope and pray that i won't be dizzy next Thursday!!btw..I apologize for not being as supportive of all of you as you are to me...I've got a lot on my plate trying to take care of my disabled mom..Best wishes today...Be good to yourself!!

#23 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Ittybittysmitty, Yes, I downloaded the free e-book several weeks ago and read & re-read multiple times...I ordered the supplements and did the pre-taper and am now on day 6 of no Cymbalta...the only thing I am not experiencing is severe anxiety and my thinking seems to be clearer (remembering things I'd rather forget over the last ten years of being on 60-120mg doses). As for their Omegas for the brain zaps, no relief. I feel like I am sitting in a chair & hooked up to an automatic taser with no knob to turn down the electrical charges. I yelled at my husband for the first time since I can remember (a no-no as I am in an emotionally abusive relationship...used to be physical before his bp stopped him in his tracks with that) last evening & it has only heightened this horrible situation of withdrawal now.

Getting off track...so the supplements are certainly not hurting me & I feel at this juncture, doing more good than aggravating anything.

#24 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

Dear Cymsik,

I'm glad the supps are helping you...did you replace the Cym with another drug? I hear that's usually easier. that's what my doc is doing. I can't imagine how difficult it is to have the added stress of that abuse that's so unpredictable.
Thank God you are improving...I'm sorry difficult memories are coming up...it's not right that these drugs steal our cognitive ability and numb our memories...Since weaning, I also started remembering my past...it's been completely blocked off.

i'm having the same lack of effect with Omegas...bummer because i just bought more...;o0

So my friends, here is an UPDATE: I reported my severe dizziness to the pdoc a few days ago and he ADDED 10 mg Paxil after lunch...So I am really scared because i'm now taking THREE SSRIs!!!! Is he crazy? Yet adding the Paxil has helped diminish the dizziness although i can only drive short distances before I feel like i'm on a tilt o whirl!

Fishinghat...am i in any danger being on three SSRIs??

#25 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

IBS.....Serotonin syndrome....too much serotonin, the result is, I've read, even worse than cymbalta withdrawal....what three ssri's are you on now, and what doses?

Your doc sounds like an idiot....a dangerous one.....but I defer to Fishinghat for the final verdict....

#26 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Ittybittysmitty...No, I am not on any other a/d. I'm afraid of going to the doctor & being fed a bunch of bs and being told I need to be put on a new a/d. I am in SHOCK you are taking three ssnri's...where does this 'tilt-o-whirl' ride land us?? Oh, dear...I am frightened for you & will say a prayer for you when I sign off. I don't know your personal story...what were you diagnosed with that you started on the ssri's & snri's? How long did you take the CYM?

Haha...I too ordered more Omegas!! I chew them hoping they will work!! Sending an email to the RoadBack site & asking why they aren't working!!

#27 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

IBS...I can't even imagine getting behind the wheel of a car! Not because I care about what happens to me but the thought of hurting someone else paralyzes me:(

#28 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Like FN Said...Your dr is an idiot. You should never be on two or more ssri and/or ssri at the same time. Seratonin syndrome is a serious condition with a fever of up to 106 and many other serious effects. The ONLY time I have ever heard of being on two at the same time is when you are coming off of one and going onto another. Even that is done very carefully.

#29 ittybittysmitty

ittybittysmitty

Good Friend

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • why_joining:

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

FH,

He cut my Celexa in half (20)and added a 1/2 dose of Paxil (10 mg)...I'm really scared now...what do you suggest? My doc doesn't have another doc he partners with...so no doc on call...so far i don't have any SS symptoms..o hemaybe i will contact the other mental health department at the clinic where the other pdocs are and talk to the pdoc on call..

;O-0

#30 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,893 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

What is the third one you are on and what is the dose?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users