#241 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

smacoy...

I agree regarding the anxiety,  as I had never had it before either and it was (still can be) overpowering.  At times I feel that I could crawl the walls.  I do take Xanax (Alprazolam) for this and it helps as nothing else for me. I have been off the poison for a little over 8 months now and I still suffer from the anxiety.  Do you also have sleep problems?  That was really an issue for me as well, but it is finally getting better - 7 to 8 hours a nite now. 

I understand your not wanting to take any more meds, but I could not have made it through this hell without the Xanax and since I have fibro and arthritis with the pain only exacerbated by this whole withdrawal thing, I also take Hydrocodone.  If I need to be on these 2 meds for the rest of my life, so be it.  I cannot live with the anxiety and pain.

I hope that you will be able to cope using the breathing exercises and becoming engrossed in something, but it didn't work for me.  If you feel that you need something to help you deal with this issue, it is not an admission of defeat!  You need to take care of yourself and be comfortable. :)  There is no need to add to this horrible experience - it's bad enough all by itself!!

I wish you the best and please keep us updated as to your progress - congratulations on your 2-weeks off!! :D

Hugs,

Liz :hug:

#242 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

FH, gee, thanks for telling me about the hydroxyzine!

Question .... I just checked, and hypotension is listed as a possible side-effect and an indication of a possible overdose, but hydroxyzine isn't listed as intentionally used to lower hypertension .... so, do you think / know if it has as strong an effect on bp as does the clonidine?

Also, you use hydroxyzine, but not clonidine. What kind of bp effect does it have on you?

#243 smacoy1973

smacoy1973

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

Thanks, everyone! I've got the magnesium on my Walmart list for tomorrow. Definitely going to try and find the breathing exercises. We are trying to sell our house and decide whether to buy or build, so that doesn't help with the anxiety. If it doesn't get better soon, I will see about maybe getting on Xanax or something to help. My blood pressure has always been great, so maybe I don't have to worry about that. It means so much to have everyone's support. I'm probably at the lowest I've been yet. I have found myself hollering at my kids and that really scares me. I finally broke down and cried a little bit ago because that's all I knew to do. I have really questioned whether I can do this or not, but for the most part, I love being off the crap. Hoping I can get through this PMS week without a mental breakdown. Once again, I can not tell you how much it means to be able to come on this site and talk with everyone. Good luck to the ones coming off this mess. I hope that I can post back soon that things are much better. Have a good night.

#244 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

FH, gee, thanks for telling me about the hydroxyzine!

Question .... I just checked, and hypotension is listed as a possible side-effect and an indication of a possible overdose, but hydroxyzine isn't listed as intentionally used to lower hypertension .... so, do you think / know if it has as strong an effect on bp as does the clonidine?

Also, you use hydroxyzine, but not clonidine. What kind of bp effect does it have on you?

Actually I use both hydroxyzine and clonidine. The clonidine stopped effcting my bp after a couple weeks a nd the same applies to the hydroxyzine. Just my opinion but in my case the initial drop in bp was less with the hydroxyzine. If your bp is alread low I would not add the hydroxyzine and would play it safe.

#245 BJnFL

BJnFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, Florida

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hi guys. Sorry haven't reported in earlier - computer at home crashed over the weekend.  :(

Day 5 of reduction by 1 bead (generic) = 5 mg.  Not doing too badly - although I am feeling rather short tempered today. Could be the Cymbalta, could be that I hate my job!  :wacko:

I did have a pretty bad headache on days 2 and 3, but all in all, having gone cold turkey before, I cannot complain. Well, I could, but I won't :D  

Be well!

#246 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

BJ

Good work! Go slow-- if symptoms (like rage) are apparent and unsettling, go slower!

It's both the symptoms and the job. Re-train, get a new job, take command-- this isn't a dress rehearsal-- this is all there is and ever will be. Build your joy my friend.

#247 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

I have now been without any Cymbalta since Saturday-I am coming off 60 mg after 2 years.  I alternated 2 days on the 60's then went to 20 mgs for a week.  I don't recommend anyone going relatively cold turkey like I have.  The withdrawals have sucked-no lie-but I feel like my mind is clearing up-like I have been in a fog for the last few years, and I think I pinpointed why I went on it in the first place.  I had a follow-up  meeting with my doctor today to go over blood work-my hormones indicate that I am in full menopause.  I told her that under no circumstances did I want to replace it with Effexor.  She prescribed Ativan to me for the anxiety attacks that I have on occasion (and to help me through the rest of the withdrawals)

Whew!  

#248 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

You still have a battle ahead but you are well on the way.

God Bless

#249 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

Great report, Kim. Given that you've used the "hard way" approach, you're doing really well. If you can handle this approach, stick with it.

If the symptoms do become too much, change your plan and up the dose a bit, then start counting down. Either way, just make sure you're getting as much rest as you can, drink lots of water, avoid stress, take your vitamins, and eat carefully but healthily. (Sheesh, I sound like my mother ;))

Keep giving us updates ... you're well on your way to success!

#250 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

I think I have got my head wrapped around it enough to be able to not dose.  I took an Ativan yesterday and it took the edge off.  I woke up this morning feeling great, then started getting a little wobbly.

So far every day is better, even if only a tiny bit.  I have been sleeping a little longer at night, and resting during the day.  Water is the only thing I have any desire to drink-which is unusual for me-I have always been a soda drinker. 

I hope everyone has a great day!

Kim

#251 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

Hi Kim

Symptoms will come and go, and they will be part of your life for a while. Stay active and seek distractions to engage your focus away from yourself. You are well on your way!

Take care.

#252 Kim12

Kim12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

Today is my 9th day without taking any Cymbalta.  I am still having brain zaps but they are more tolerable and I am able to ignore them a little better than last week, and I still have the brief moments of vertigo.  However my emotions seem to have stabilized (I hope).  I spent this last Friday in bed alternating between crying and sleeping, which I think was my turning point.  Yesterday was the first day I felt better, and today has been even better.  I have not had to take any Ativan since Friday.

The distractions are the key-keeping myself occupied so I don't have time to think about the symptoms.  

I hope everyone is doing well.

Kim

#253 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

Kim, that is just wonderful news! You're on the way to being one of our "success stories" ... relatively brief withdrawal / discontinuation, and manageable symptoms that suck, but don't debilitate ... :)

Please pop over to the "listing the positive events" thread and add your good news there ... lots of folks who come here for the first time, and are feeling pretty hopeless, head to that thread first. How well you're doing will give them a lot of hope and encouragement!

#254 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hi Kim, yes i struggle with anxiety also. my therapist has mentioned how "worrying about worrying" - anticipating developing anxiety through the day - is the biggest trigger. so distractions that help you not "think about the symptoms" work wonders for me too - anything that keeps my brain engaged. 

#255 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Congratulations Kim. That is wonderful. I am so happy for you.

#256 BJnFL

BJnFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hi all.  Just wanted to share some information with all of you because I know some of you have had problems with the generic of Cymbalta, duloxetine.

I saw my neurologist last week and we spoke in detail about my increasingly severe side-effects and my taking the generic. This is what he told me:

• HE prefers brand name medications - Americans have been conditioned to believe that generics are equivalent. Sometimes they are, BUT..
  • The FDA uses an 80/120 rule when approving generics - the generically-equivalent drug can have as low as 80% or as high as 120% of the active ingredient;
  • The majority of generics are produced in China and India - where the FDA has no real ability to inspect; not to bash China and India per se, but all he had to mention was ... Chinese drywall, toys, pet foods;
  • The FDA only inspects generics at initial production and then 6 months later;
  • The ingredients/strength can vary from company to company; AND
  • The big pharmacies buy whatever generic brand is cheapest, so the generic you are taking can vary from one month to another, even from one bottle to another; 
  • Cymbalta being time-released and all, the companies don't always get the time-release "right" during initial production (case in point - the brand - Cymbalta - has ____ (anyone know exactly how many - I gave up counting BUT ITS AT LEAST 120) in a 30 mg tab; the generic, duloxetine (from SunPharma and Lupin - I have taken each of these has 6 beads in each 30mg tab - so the time release is NOT right - you get a big dose when you first take your pills, and then not much of anything 18 hours later.

So, the bottom line is that the majority of my problems over the past several months can be attributed to taking the generic. I have started Cymbalta 90 mg again, and am feeling much better as far as withdrawals/side effects are concerned. It has been such a difficult several months of taking the generic (BTW thanks to FiveNotions for suggesting that might be my problem - it had never occurred to me before) that I think I should "stabilize" again before trying to wean off again.

Thanks to all of you Cymbalta survivors for sharing your experiences and wisdom and just being there. It does a soul good to know there are at least some people still out there not motivated by the almighty dollar! 

#257 ShadyLady

ShadyLady

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal
  • why_joining:
    Formerly CymSik

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Great post, BJ;) I just had a similar conversation with my p-doc a couple days ago. Unfortunately, insurance companies are making it near impossible for dispensing brand when a generic is available, in my experience with Express Scripts anyway!! Also, there a numerous generics and, as you mentioned, you never know what 'flavor of the month' will be dispensed. I,too, believe your problems could very well be related to generic! I am not sure if that is what is going on with me as well, but with another drug Wellbutrin that the FDA has recognized the differential in formulation and required two manufacturers, Teva and Watson, to remove the 300mg generic version. I have never had a reaction to generic meds before the Lupin generic duloxetine, which I didn't even know was generic:(, sent me into a tailspin and then generic Wellbutrin! I find that a little odd that two drugs within 4 months were 'tainted,' IMO:(

Glad you are back on the brand and I wish you the best in your weaning process after you "stabilize"...great idea. I think your post should be posted under a new topic, maybe Brand vs Generic, as I believe it is only going to become more problematic since the generic form only hit the market last December! One last thing, I have a friend who's husband is on 60mg generic manufactured by Actavis and it has the beads not the pellets. Troublesome for someone trying to wean off since there is no consistency with pharmacies with doling out different generics with each refill. You can't even ask for the same generic for refills!

Best wishes and keep the faith towards your ultimate goal of getting off the C:)

#258 BJnFL

BJnFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Great post, BJ;) I just had a similar conversation with my p-doc a couple days ago. Unfortunately, insurance companies are making it near impossible for dispensing brand when a generic is available, in my experience with Express Scripts anyway!! Also, there a numerous generics and, as you mentioned, you never know what 'flavor of the month' will be dispensed. I,too, believe your problems could very well be related to generic! I am not sure if that is what is going on with me as well, but with another drug Wellbutrin that the FDA has recognized the differential in formulation and required two manufacturers, Teva and Watson, to remove the 300mg generic version. I have never had a reaction to generic meds before the Lupin generic duloxetine, which I didn't even know was generic:(, sent me into a tailspin and then generic Wellbutrin! I find that a little odd that two drugs within 4 months were 'tainted,' IMO:(

In Florida, in order to get the brand name (through insurance), your doctor must write "Medically Necessary" on the paper prescription. The insurance then requires the brand name co-payment (in my case, suddenly "non-formulary" which is another discussion).

Glad you are back on the brand and I wish you the best in your weaning process after you "stabilize"...great idea. I think your post should be posted under a new topic, maybe Brand vs Generic, as I believe it is only going to become more problematic since the generic form only hit the market last December! One last thing, I have a friend who's husband is on 60mg generic manufactured by Actavis and it has the beads not the pellets. Troublesome for someone trying to wean off since there is no consistency with pharmacies with doling out different generics with each refill. You can't even ask for the same generic for refills!

I agree about posting this under another topic, but I don't know how!  :) 

Best wishes and keep the faith towards your ultimate goal of getting off the C:)

To you as well, and I will try!  :hug: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users