• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am going through Day 4 of cymbalta withdrawal and it is TERRIFYING. I feel like 20 years of therapy are gone overnight.

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

I am 4 days off cymbalta (after only taking it for 6 weeks) too. I was absolutely terrified until I found this board. My doc told me she had heard the withdrawal was VERY bad but I thought I'd be on it longer than this (it made me obsessive, anxiouos, amped and I couldn't stand the way I felt on it).

I've been on ADs for twenty years- imipramine then celexa (which both pooped out after ten years each) and NO lie- this withdrawal feels exactly like the traumatic, life-altering depression that started me down this path. I CANNOT believe how bad withdrawal from this medication is. I am:
nauseous
crying at the drop of a hat
severely anxious
brain zaps
eyes feel like they're falling out of my head
scared to drive
can't move my head without a zap
afraid to be alone

and much more. If I wasn't on sleep meds I know I wouldn't sleep. I can't even watch TV- I cried at Jurassic Park????????

It's Day 4 and I hope to god this ends soon. PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW!

#2 Mikel1037

Mikel1037

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

Bless you.... You are in my thoughts.... stay strong.

#3 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am going through Day 4 of cymbalta withdrawal and it is TERRIFYING. I feel like 20 years of therapy are gone overnight.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:53 AM

Thank you! It's Day 5.......a little better but still bad. I cannot believe that I thought I had seen bad reactions to medication before- this takes the cake!

Everytime I turn my head I feel like there's a jingling coin purse. I can't stand to be alone, but can't stand people (very much not me- I'm in the middle- like a balance of being social and having alone time).

#4 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

BeverlyB:

Hang in there. You are doing great. And yes, you are a cymbalta withdrawal warrior. You are winning the war. Each minute you fight the good fight. I have this feeling you will be just fine....yah, my crystal ball is working today! :)

Rest, hydrate, get some sunshine, try some of the supplements, otc medications that help some of the specific withdrawal symptoms, get a little laugh and a hug! We are all here for you! K?

All my best....Houdi

#5 poisoned

poisoned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'd like to share my experiences regarding this awful drug and the resultant side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

I've been off since the 26th and still hurting. I feel for you, as everyone else here surely does. Like Houdi said, every day, every minute you are off this stuff is a tiny victory for you. During the first few days it was so horrible I was tempted to go back on the drug at a lower dosage and keep tapering, but decided against it. Not much has changed, but I'm not putting one pellet of this garbage back into my system no matter how much pain I'm in.

Keep it up. :) Some OTC products that can help take the edge off are good old Benadryl (25-50mg) and a healthy backstock of Dramamine. Just be sure to take them as directed and stay safe in your home.

I wish you all the best. No one should have to go through this, but at least you aren't alone.

#6 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

Thanks Houdi and poisoned. We're in Day 6 now and it's better but let me tell you, if I didn't recognize it as withdrawal, I would have thought I was psychotic.

I'm hanging in there but plan on letting all my docs (psych, primary care, Lyme doctor, pain management) that people NEED to be warned about this before they start. I thought Lyme was bad, and it is, but this is just insane.

I'm taking a lot of supplement (copious amounts of Vit C as it detoxes you quickly) and meds for nausea, pain and anxiety (have them because of Lyme anyway) so I'm doing OK. I'm on Wobenzyme, Vit C, Magnesium, Coq10, milk thistle, fish oil and bromelain (for pain).

#7 Gippos

Gippos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am going off Cymbalta & want to share my experience.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

Don't feel bad about crying during Jurassic Park - It makes me cry thinking what was done to such an excellent book too.

But seriously - I cry at the end of Terminator 2 everytime I watch Arnold go down into the molten iron.... and that doesn't have anything to do with Cymbalta.

#8 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

Gippos- Thank you- you just made me laugh! I don't feel bad about crying- just thought sobbing over some usual stuff was quite dramatic. Arnold makes me cry too- tee hee!

#9 kmdlpn11

kmdlpn11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am trying desperately to stop taking Cymbalta. I feel worse while trying to stop than I ever did before I began taking it and I am scared these feelings will never go away.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

I also agree that this is horrific! The scarriest thing for me was not being prepared for these withdrawl symptoms! It was never explained to me that I would feel or might feel like I was dying if I stopped the medication! The brain blitzes are really scarry...I am afraid to drive because I'm not sure that my reaction time is quick enough right now! Plus, I had to take a final this AM and absolutely could not focus! I too am crying at the drop of a hat....last night I was watching a re-run of Americas Best Dance Crew on MTV and I was crying......What??? I was reading that low dose Prozac can really help with the withdrawl symptoms....I have a call out to my MD to ask him about it! I am taking Benedryl, B12, Fish Oil and CoQ10 and hoping they help! This is day 6 free of Cymbalta but only day 2 of taking the Benedryl and supplements...I think I feel worse today than I did yesterday! Talk about frustrating!If I had known this would happen....I NEVER would have began taking it!!!
Good Luck!

#10 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on various anti-depressents for the past 18 years, within the past 2 years I have found myself on 8 different medications. I am at the point in my life where I am ready to start thinking about having children, however, that is impossible with all that I am on.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

Okay, so the withdrawal symptoms aren't just "all in my head." I've been teetering back and forth between 60mg and 30 mg for the past 4 months, and today I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge. It sounds do-able, but certainly not pleasant. I'll be honest I'm very nervous and use sarcasm to mask my concerns. Has anyone else tried to go off more than one medication at a time?

#11 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been a member that you have knock off 3 times. I have withdrawn from Cymbalta and supported forum members that are in withdrawal. Find my old posts. I have pleaded with you to clean up this forum, and my thanks is you erasing me....three times! Thanks a lot! I come back here to pay forward what others did for me. You are quite disrespectful to the members of your forum that support others while you let the spammers take over! Shame on you after you started this for a good reason. Is it money now?

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

nu2this:

What is the medication you would like to discontinue along with the Cymbalta?

Houdi

#12 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

Okay, so the withdrawal symptoms aren't just "all in my head." I've been teetering back and forth between 60mg and 30 mg for the past 4 months, and today I have decided to go ahead and take the plunge. It sounds do-able, but certainly not pleasant. I'll be honest I'm very nervous and use sarcasm to mask my concerns. Has anyone else tried to go off more than one medication at a time?

Yes- but very very slowly!

#13 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

they are DEFINITELY not in your head.

This is Day 8. Yesterday ended with me vomiting everything I ate all day. Today, the brain zaps are better but I am sad/anxious and have diarrhea. I NEVER NEVER have diarrhea- I barely even get it with stomach flu.

I'll keep posting day by day.

#14 MadAsHell

MadAsHell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am on day 4 of my withdrawal and I'm so damn mad that of the 4 doctors that I have seen, NOT ONE of them felt they could inform me of these possible side effects.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:00 PM

I was on a 40 mg dosage for migraines following a traumatic brain injury in February. I was begging every doctor I encountered to take me off and each one seemed to just throw up their hands and pass the job onto the next doctor. I just started seeing a new psychiatrist about a month ago and she finally agreed to take me off of it. However, I don't believe she tapered me off properly. She told me to go down to 30 mg for 4 days, then 20 mg for 3 days and then stop. Well, I took my last 20 mg dose on Friday and now it's Tuesday. The symptoms started yesterday. Chills, nausea, brain zaps, sweats, insomnia, crazy mood swings, etc. Pretty much all the symptoms that everyone else listed on this website.

I was on the phone with family and a close friend who were even so afraid that I was going to do something to harm myself. ME! I'm always the stable one! No one can even believe the way they are hearing and seeing me act because it's so unusual for me.

Since yesterday I was trying everything I could think of to help ease the withdrawal symptoms: staying very well hydrated, eating well-balanced meals, taking vitamins, drinking green tea and eating/drinking other anti-oxidants, even got a detox massage. Then finally I broke down and decided to call the psychiatrist who I knew was on vacation. She told me to take a 20 mg today and another in 2 days! Hell no!!! I'm not into going through this again. I just really hope that this goes away soon because I can't take much more of it.

And, I'm SO into some type of class action lawsuit for this crap. I don't want another person to have to feel the way I do through this whole thing. Thank god for this message board and for all of you who post words of support. I just wish one person would write that it only took them a few days to detox because I can't deal with much more of this.

#15 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hey MadAsHell:

I do believe there was one that just posted in the last couple of days that it didn't take them long. Can't remember if it was this forum or another I participate. But it like, good for them, why not me???? Nah, glad for them...really glad. It is all of our wish, dream, and bless them.

Try some otc gerd medication for the nausea. I took Pepcid. And Dramamine for the head stuff. The green tea is supposed to help, I didn't do that one. Also, ginger tea from fresh ginger will make your tummy and digestive track feel better. If you've never made fresh ginger tea, just ask.

It sounds to me like you are well on your way to Cymbalta Withdrawal Warrior badge! Let us know how you are making it through....All my best wishes...Houdi

#16 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

Day 9

Brain zaps getting better
Nausea getting better (threw up two days ago- couldn't eat yesterday)
diarrhea gone
still crying at the drop of a hat
panicky
sweats
headache
heart palps
insomnia (waking at 4 am) despite being on a sleep med
Feel like I'm shaking even though I'm not
Feel like eyes are falling out of my head

It's better but it's not all gone. I'm taking Wobenzye (anti-inflammatory), Vit C, Omega 3, Magnesium, CoQ10, Milk Thistle and cinnamon. Had to cut back on Vit C and mag because of the stomach/diarrhea issues.

Normally, I am NOT interested in class action lawsuits but this time I would be.

#17 poisoned

poisoned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:
    I'd like to share my experiences regarding this awful drug and the resultant side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:32 AM

Day 10 here. I wake up crying, feel violent (definitely NOT normal), act surly toward my family and friends and then apologize in tears minutes later, get zapped regularly, lose feeling in my hands and feet, have urinary difficulies, night sweats, heart palpitations, repeated breaking through 20mg of Ambien plus other sedating night pills, recurrent sore jaw (possibly from clenching/grinding during the night, which I don't normally do--this behavior first presented in inpatient) facial tics... I'm wondering if I'll end up with some permanent tardive dyskinesia. This morning I also got a rather alarming surprise--a nosebleed. I can't say whether it's related to Cymbalta or the weather, though

Overall it's better, as I'm not having the huge immobilizing seizure-like episodes anymore, but beyond that, it's still horrible. Still fighting my way through the day.

BeverlyB, glad to hear that you've experienced a decrease in the brain zaps and gastro stuff. That's no fun at all. I'm lucky enough to have skipped the vomiting/diarrhea aspect of it, though some nausea has been present, Dramamine seems to work. Remember that you can take two Dramamine tablets at once if you're especially acute, although it sometimes can make you feel really weird... the only way I can describe it is "hot and drowsy". So it might increase your feelings of heat and sweatiness.

Just keep it up, and try to have a regular schedule. Eating at the same times every day, taking your pills at the same time... it's surprising what a little familiarity and stability can do. Houdi also mentioned ginger... if you can find ginger chew candy (provided you like the taste--I'm personally a ginger junkie but know some people find it too strong), a tisane preparation, or a pill supplement, it does have a calming effect on the stomach and can even prevent vomiting.

As for a class-action? Sign me the fug UP. My whole family can vouch for what this crap did to me. Someone should be held culpable for the collective suffering of everyone on this board and other Cymbalta support groups (yes, there are several others!)

I really hope your symptoms start to subside soon. Wish I could give you a big hug or something. I especially hope that the nausea-related symptoms continue to improve... I personally hate vomiting more than just about anything else!

#18 poisoned

poisoned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:35 AM

nu2this: It's pretty dangerous to try to D/C more than one med at a time. My old doctor tried to wean me off of Cymbalta and Valium at the same time... NOT A GOOD IDEA. It allowed the breakthrough seizure activity and I ended up back on the Valium. Remember that you are in control of your treatment and you can refuse anything that you feel will be detrimental to you. Any doctor who is not willing to discuss your apprehensions with you is not a doctor you want to see.

#19 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

poisoned- I'm glad it's a "little" better.

Yesterday was day 10 and it was actually better- some zaps, sweats, nausea, but I actually slept.

Today is day 11 and it was awful again. Major nausea, funky butt (not quite diarrhea but might as well have been).

We had a micro-burst (mini-tornado) in our neighborhood last week (I live in coastal MA, not the midwest!) so I awoke to the sound of chainsaws and woodchippers in both my front and backyard. Our neighbor across the street was having their damaged tree taken down and our neighbor in the back was having 2 removed. I HATE the sound of chainsaws as it is and I am sensitive to sound right now. It started at 9 am and by 12:00 I was shaking despite having the AC on, all the fans going and ear plugs in. It was awful. I was so anxious and had an incredibly horrible headache.

A bad bad bad bad bad day. UGH!

#20 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

BeverlyB:

Love the "funky butt" description. Hahahahaha! Only those of us that have had it can laugh. Wow.....

Ahhh, chainsaws in the morning! I really advocate for a more peaceful quiet environment for Cymbalta withdrawal. You know, no stress, loud noises, that sort of thing. CHAINSAWS!!! That takes the cake.

Hope you feel better tomorrow. Set back days were the worst for me. It was so unfair. I'd have a great day, lots of energy. Got more done in a day than I had in the whole time I was on cymbalta, then boom....a set back day. Ahhhhhh! Why?????? Mean, just mean.

Evening everyone....Houdi

#21 shannonalexander

shannonalexander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • why_joining:
    I am coming off of cymbalta after 6 years of Lexepro and and 2 years of Cymbalta

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

My doc had me on 3 meds, amitriptilyn for migrains, cymbalta and alprozolam. He took me off the amitriptilyn first. No head zaps but nausia and flue symptoms. I tappered myself off in one month got off it. Now for the Cymbalta. I came home from work today and took a nap cause I felt so bad. I am going to try the dramamine and benedryl. I hope it works. I went from 60mg to 30 and its been 3 days. I guess I'll stay on 30mg for 30 days and tapper down. I hope to God that helps the withdrawl.... I have a job as an activity director in a nursing home. They need me to be happy and fun not sick and doppy. I am scared.

#22 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

shannonalexander:

Don't be scared, please? You may feel bad, but nothing to be scared about. Honestly. Careful with the Benadryl and the Dramamine together. Dramamine and its cousin drugs like Bonine and other seem to help with the swooshing and vertigo problems....IF you even get the issue. Benadryl helps with the sinus stuff and if it makes you sleepy, take at night for a little sleep. Some of us have about a week or less worth of poor sleep or no sleep each time we decrease the dose of Cymbalta or stop altogether. Drink plenty of water when you take either. They may dehydrate you and that in itself may be an issue. OTC gerd medicine can help with nausea and upset tummy, I took Pepcid. Of course, Tylenol or Advil help with the body aches. Only take these things if you have the symptoms. Too much of this stuff together may make you feel awful. No alcohol either with these meds.

Taper as your body allows. Your time frame. You may adjust slower or faster than others. Read about the supplements others have found to help. Also, a little exercise is helpful for mind and body. I know, it is hard to do if you feel like you have the flu or are nauseous. I found that 10-15 minutes of unprotected sunshine on my arms and face did wonders for me. One can only do this if there is no reason you should be out of the sun, like skin cancer or taking certain drugs that say no to sun. Nap, rest, try to stay in a cool environment. Multi tasking is not advised, nor is lots of visual or mental stimuli. Take it one thing at a time, one step at a time, one day at a time. You'll get there.

Take care and best wishes....Houdi

#23 mazie74

mazie74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • why_joining:
    need support for cymbalta withdraws

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

i need help. cymbalta has ruined my life, i'm a wreck, i tried to get off of it but omg the withdraws are bad. this drug needs taken off the market. i just got out of ICU last week because i tried to take my own life and its because of the cymbalta, it has changed who i am. its not a good drug to b on. now how does the company expect people to get off it without all the affects. IT'S NOT RIGHT i have so much more to say can anybody help me?

#24 Elizaa120

Elizaa120

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    I took Cymbalta for 3 months. Reduced dosage from 120 and now have been off the medicine entirely for 9 days. I am having a terrible time withdrawing and am seeking support.

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

I am so grateful I found this site! I took Cymbalta for 3 months, starting at 30 mg and was up to 120 mg when I could no longer stand the anxiety it was causing. After decreasing from 120 to 60, then 30 I finally stopped taking the drug. I felt fine when I was tapering down, but when I stopped eleven days ago things quickly deteriorated. I was not warned about any of this! Thank God a friend had experienced withdrawal for 15 days after taking Lexapro and pointed out that I was probably experiencing withdrawal and not going insane!

This has been my experience so far:

- Day 2: Nightmares and night sweats so extreme that I had to change my PJs because they were drenched in sweat... Dragged myself outside and walked half mile and later sat in the sun, both which improved my mood.

-Day 3: Bad dreams again, sweated. Cried a lot! Felt totally "abandoned" and "alone", both crazy thoughts as I am not alone, but this withdrawal has made me feel totally nuts. Got in an argument for no reason with a good friend. Again, forced myself to get active and go for a run, which helped with the anger. I am not an angry person normally, but suddenly I am irritable and angry with everyone! Thought about checking myself in at the local hospital, something I have never done. Difficulty concentrating. Brain zaps. Terrible insomnia- only slept an hour!

-Day 4: Needed to take Imodium. Anxiety and lots of confusion.

-Day 5: Insomnia. Up at 5:30am to bed at 1:30 am.

-Day 6:. OK day, though woke again at 5:30am.

-Day 7: Brain zaps, confusion, muscle spasms in legs. Up until 2am- took Tylenol PM for sleep and sore throat. Night sweats again so bad had to change in the middle of the night.

-Day 8: Pretty good day though simple tasks took a lot of mental energy.

-Day 9: Actually felt normal for a few hours.

-Day 10: Diarrhea, insomnia. Shaking. Thought I was going insane. Really scary. Now 3am and still can’t sleep thought have taken Benadryl. Brain zaps, difficulty reading and writing on this site.

Really hoping I could get an idea where the light at the end of the tunnel may be. I have been reading a lot on this website but as I am totally brain-dead as the result of this drug, its hard to focus.. I haven’t read about any “averages”, though judging from the posts people seem to be most desperate for the first week.

#25 Houdi

Houdi

Great Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:37 AM

Hi Elizaa120:

Welcome. Tho sorry your here. I found this site at about day 4 or 5 of my withdrawal from Cymbalta. I did the cold turkey thing...not good. And yes, it was at about 1am 'cuz I couldn't sleep and the withdrawal symptoms were getting worse and I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. For me, the withdrawal got worse up until two weeks from quitting. Then they stayed at a nice awful level for awhile. Some symptoms subsided while others peaked. Others peaked and subsided and peaked and subsided... A complete roller coaster ride.

Let us know how you are doing. There is a lot of information on otc medication that helps specific symptoms. There is also information on diet, exercise and supplements. Take it slow and we're here to answer any questions. We're not medical professionals, we can't give medical advice, we just provide support and our own experiences. Take what works for you.

All my best wishes...Houdi

#26 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:13 AM

Hi Elizaa120- No, apparently you are NOT insane. It was a very similar experience to what I had. Tapered down but after going off the 30 mg (what other drug expects you to go from 30 to zero? Hello Eli Lilly- You need smaller doses to start and taper!) I quickly felt awful.

In the first week, I had brain zaps, nausea, crying constantly (I went on this stuff because I WAS depressed but my pre-Cymbalta depression was nothing compared to this), being mean to my hubby who I love more than life. I went off on a Tuesday and by Saturday (day 5) I thought I belonged in a psych ward because of the frightening thoughts running around my head. Luckily- I had found this website by that point and knew I was not thinking rationally.

Last week (Days 6- 13) i went back and forth between psych symptoms and physical symptoms. I've had brain zaps, dizziness, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (I NEVER have it), insomnia, horrid headaches, acid reflux that has gotten MUCH worse. I'm on Prilosec and have had to supplement it with zantac.

I was talking to my SIL yesterday who went off Effexor when she got pregnant and she said it was a very similar experience. I remember that she went to her mom's house for two weeks because she was so nauseous she couldn't get out of bed- I thought it was bad morning sickness. She told me yesterday it was withdrawal. She said 3 weeks. When she moved her eyes, she would get a swooshing sound, she was dizzy, vomiting, shaking, panicky- the whole discontinuation syndrome.

Seems like SNRI's have MUCH worse withdrawal than the SSRI's.

You're going to be OK- I'm in Day 14 and this weekend was decidedly better. It wasn't great- I cried, had awful irritability (just wanted to argue about the most minute things with my husband- poor guy couldn't do anything right in my warped brain. Was very sound sensitive. Yesterday was more nausea (I felt seasick sitting still) and vomiting and exhaustion.

Today I'm tired, nauseous, my GERD is bad, I feel sad (a poem here?), sweats and a headache, but better.

I found that the setback days are harder because you think you're doing better, and then all of a sudden you're worse.

It WILL end- you hang in there!

#27 saunders917

saunders917

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on 120mg of cymbalta for 3 years,went from120 to 60 to 0 in last 4 weeks, also on 3 tabs of wellbutrin.These people sound like me, would like to contribute & learn what to expect, from real people.

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

like everyone else coming off cymbalta, i know how you feel. I found this site today & already i feel better. For me its brain zaps, anger and crying.I'm on day 12 no cymba. Getting ready to try Benadryl,hope it helps

#28 murfnmag

murfnmag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • why_joining:
    To share the pain of withdrawl with others.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:44 AM

Ever wonder "how could I have been so stupid"? I spent hundreds of dollars to have a Psychologist tell me that I would benefit from taking 90 mg of cymbalta and 150 mg of wellbutrin. Yes, my emotions did settle down, or should I say, I became emotion-less. But when the weight gain started I knew that I would be headed back to depression and the cycle would begin yet again. I asked to be taken off. The well paid psychologist's nurse left a voice message that said, stop wellbutrin totally, drop to 60 mg for a week of cymbalta, then 30 for a week, and then you will be off totally. No follow up, no beware... Little did I know that this was going to happen. The slow drop off of cymbalta was no problem. But after 2-3 days cold turkey it hit. I thought it was the flu. But it wouldn't go away. 4 days later, I felt like I was coming out of it. After 3 or more days, it returned in full force. I have been in bed 5 days now. If my head leaves the pillow for very long, I think I'm going to throw up. The pressure of my head on my pillow gives some relief. I'm glad to read words of encouragement here. But I'm a teacher. School starts one week from today. I can't work with 120 6th graders in choir class with temper flares, tears at the drop of a hat, and constant nausea. I was only on cymbalta for 2 months. Anybody have an idea how much longer this is going to last? The pharmacist couldn't give me an answer.

#29 BeverlyB

BeverlyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:30 AM

Oh sweetie- I'm a teacher too but I have till after labor Day. I'm sorry you feel so sick :( I taught middle school for five years too so I know how demanding it is. By the time school starts you'll be about Day 12 and should be feeling much better. You could ask your psychologist for an SSRI to calm the withdrawal (most people here seem to mention Prozac or Celexa) and then taper off that.

I tapered off celexa before going on cymbalta and it was VERY easy in comparison. It's also easier to lower the dose because it's tablets not capsules.

I'm on day 16 and the brain zaps are gone, the dizziness avertigo mostly gone, the crying has gotten better (it's still there but not as much- same with the temper flares). The nausea and seasick feeling has gotten much better and I can finally eat again. I wouldn't say I feel good but it's a lot better than Day 5.

Hang in there- keep posting!

#30 saunders917

saunders917

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • why_joining:
    I have been on 120mg of cymbalta for 3 years,went from120 to 60 to 0 in last 4 weeks, also on 3 tabs of wellbutrin.These people sound like me, would like to contribute & learn what to expect, from real people.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

Day 13 is alittle better, but i wonder how many people see this and say,only day 13--auh ow. Took the Benadryl at 9am & 2pm , stomach problems are gone, brain zaps are down, started laughing for no reason ( almost wet myself ) but i think that would have been funny too. I'm in good mood, happy, except when i start crying ( uncontrolable ) for 45 seconds for no reason, I guess the Wellbutrin must not effect this part of my brain. My energy level is up, wonder if anyone out there is on Wellbutrin & dropped Cymbalta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users