#1 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

off the C for almost 9 weeks and have been on the typical roller coaster between manageable anxiety and off the charts. for the past three days its been off the charts. if i super focus on a task i can keep it at bay, but then changing to a new task the anxiety cranks up like crazy. once it starts getting dark outside - literallly, after sunset - the anxiety kicks into overdrive - serious panic. i try to use my cogntive therapy coping skills, but everything is just too intense to make sense. i do not ant to start on benzos/tranqs - i can't handle another dependency. i want to beat the anxiety not cover it up.

no - i don't see the end of any tunnel

does it get better or go away? ever?

#2 gail

gail

Site Partners

• Site Supporter
  • 6,016 posts
  • LocationSherbrooke, PQ
  • why_joining:
    5 months on cymbalta, scary side effects, to get help and to return the favor if I can.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Brzghoff, you would not be covering up the anxiety with a benzo. This can help you through it. This is discontinuation anxiety. No control over this what so ever. This is a side effect. As you cannot control the nausea or the brain zaps.

I understand you not wanting to get hooked on benzos.

Surely you have heard of others ways to handle this. Hydroxizine, clonidine.

When in overdrive, as you mentionned, when to intense, coping skills dont seem to work. Of course not, it has to settle down a bit to make sense, to help.

You have options here, with Hydroxizine, clonidine and remember that weaning off benzos can be done in a very smooth way. FH knows a lot about this. Nothing compared to this s*** of crapalta.

Does it go away? a good part for sure.

Does it get better? with time. How much time? cant answer this.

Got better here at the 12 or 13th week. Now at twenty, and the last week was quite a reminder of the first 8 weeks.

Better today, could meditate for the first time since last wednesday.

An on and off thing.

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm with Gail, brzghoff.... I thought I was past the anxiety ... but had a meltdown the first week in June ... the doc put me on a low dose (miniscule, according to folks here, but it works, so okay by me)... and added clonidine ... which I've used only about 8 times since then... it kicks in pretty fast, and stops the adrenaline rush thing that is my main anxiety physical symptom ...

now I'm pretty much back to stable ... taking the valium less often, and switching over to just the clonidine as needed ...

Do you think your anxiety could be related to any "underlying" psych/emotional/life issues?

For example, mine was just intermittent...but bad... during the worst of withdrawal, and clearly was related to the crapalta... now I believe that it's more directly connected to my real life things to deal with ... finding a job, cleaning up the messes I made while on Cymbalta (lost friendships, unfiled taxes, messy/dirty apartment, etc) ....

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

brzghoff

Gail has it right. Look into Hydroxizine and Clonidine.

Anxiety LEVELS EVERYTHING! Anxiety turns cognitive therapy and mindfulness coping skills into gibberish!  Anxiety is that gust of wind on the house of cards.

Take care of yourself. Get your anxiety down first.

#5 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

hey gang, thanks for all your responses/support. i guess i'm so freaked out about the idea of adding anything due to the struggle of getting off the C. i watched a friend who went through xanax withdrawal and it was horrible. however, i might ask the doc about hydroxyzine - sounds like a medicated cookie ;-) i just read up on it and it appears to be rather innocuous - like benadryl, which has helped before - forgot about that one too. 

i also appreciate hearing about experience of others who have been on the C for longer than i. i swear i am getting on the bike tomorrow - as i have shared in the past physical exercise works wonderfully for me. however, the heat is so oppressive. i have a bank deposit to make, its only about 3 miles away and i'll got early, before it gets too hot - and before the thunderstorms crank out. 

#6 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

ugh, Florida in the summer ... I survived through two of them, and gave up and moved back up north ... to DC... which is horrid in the summer, but still better, to me at least, than FL...

How 'bout mall walking, or a nice air conditioned gym? We do not want you getting heat stroke and a Cymbalta relapse ;-)

#7 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

those aren't bad ideas... but i do enjoy the wind in my hair on the bicycle.

i sorta grew up in dc. yes, hot summers, but they don't last. the smell of boxwood is everywhere in the summer. i miss that. 

#8 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

hey gang, thanks for all your responses/support. i guess i'm so freaked out about the idea of adding anything due to the struggle of getting off the C. i watched a friend who went through xanax withdrawal and it was horrible. however, i might ask the doc about hydroxyzine - sounds like a medicated cookie ;-) i just read up on it and it appears to be rather innocuous - like benadryl, which has helped before - forgot about that one too.

i also appreciate hearing about experience of others who have been on the C for longer than i. i swear i am getting on the bike tomorrow - as i have shared in the past physical exercise works wonderfully for me. however, i've been back in florida for a month and the heat is so oppressive. i have a bank deposit to make, its only about 3 miles away and i'll got early, before it gets too hot - and before the thunderstorms crank out.

#9 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:
    In the future want 2B off Cymbalta! The physicians are no help. Looking for understanding, support & encouragement as I know this is a difficult process. Want 2 be of help 2 others who will find this site looking for same things as I.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

Physical activity is a good thing. Hang in there. It took over 4 months for me to be slowly weaned off the Cymbalta poison.
Prayers for you from TheEquusWoman♥

#10 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

Hi EW! How's the hip doing? And the arm? And how's Hershey? Are you getting some good riding in, or is it too hot down there in "Sweet Home"?

#11 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Hi thanks for asking. Yes I've gotten in a few horseback rides always such an enjoyable thing for me. I am now in the process of undergoing some epidural blocks for pain from my neck down into my fingers. I've had the second one just yesterday along with my first SI joint injection. I've always responded well to steroids and am hopeful that this will help me to keep on walking. Taking it one day at a time. That's about all that we can do and I am blessed to be able to do that!

#12 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

EW...

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers - I hope that these injections will soon have you feeling great and able to walk w/no pain!

Happy to hear that you have been able to ride Hershey lately! :)  

#13 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Physical activity is a good thing. Hang in there. It took over 4 months for me to be slowly weaned off the Cymbalta poison.

It's always good to hear from you Equuswoman & that you seem to be one of the success stories.

Would you mind me asking if you are suffering any lingering discontinuation s/e's .....
I'm now & 8 months & my worst s/e I'd unbearable anxiety / fear !.
Not pleasant & hoping it's still from the discontinuation & not a relapse ...hence the reason I'm curious about other long term members.
:-))

#14 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thank you TIF I am hopeful that the blocks will help me to keep on keeping on. I take it one day at a time.

I do respond well to steroids so that is a good thing. TC TheEquuswoman.

#15 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

:hug:Wagtail I am sad to hear of your difficulty with increased anxiety. I was put on Cymbalta for chronic pain due to osteoarthritis of my entire spine. I've never experienced anxiety thus maybe that's why I haven't had any anxiety to speak of since coming off the Cymbalta poison. You are in my prayers for peace. Much love, always from TheEquusWoman

#16 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

thank you equuswoman and everyone! 

things started getting better yesterday even though i wasn't abe to do my bike ride - torrential thunderstorms all day not just in the afternoon. ended up driving to a mexican restuarant for lunch with hubby and then to the bank and the tag office to renew our car registration (the fun never stops). its amazing how getting out of the house can lift our spirits.

i know that my reality comes from within - anxiety just tries to overtake the contentment that is still there. in those moments i just have to rely on what i know to be true even if i can't feel it at the time. i try to meditate on a regular basis but as many of you are probably aware, that's almost impossible in the throes of high anxiety. one other effective strategy i am revisiting is to challenge my thinking!

i would like to share a downloadable booklet i found last night that is free. great stuff. check it out if you like. its called "How To Conquer Your Frustrations" http://www.rebtnetwo...strations.pdf  

it can be found on a web site i haven't been to in a long time: www.rebtnetowork.org .

rational emotive behavioral therapy has been key to my recovery - and my therapist's specialty. i went through three other therapists before finding the right one for me - he uses REBT exclusively. i hadn't gone to him regularly for two years, but recently returmed for a "refresher" once the heavy anxiety of withdrawal kicked in.

while recognizing that earlier trauma can be a trigger and that there is value in knowing from where mental issues arise - REBT actually focuses on identifying and challenging our "disturbed" thinking ("musts", "shoulds", "cants", etc) that drives us into mental dispair. it does not delve into trauma issues so it is not for everyone. it simply worked for me to the point that i wanted off the C. it is very similar to cognitive behavioral therapy and was establised by Dr. Albert Ellis a decade prior to Aaron Beck offered CBT. it can be confronting at times - but for me it was worth it.

thanks again to all, you all are so validating and reassuring.

#17 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

thank you equuswoman and everyone! 

things started getting better yesterday even though i wasn't abe to do my bike ride - torrential thunderstorms all day not just in the afternoon - which is more the norm for a florida summer. ended up driving to a mexican restuarant for lunch with hubby and then to the bank and the tag office to renew our car registration (the fun never stops). its amazing how getting out of the house can lift our spirits.

i know that my reality comes from within - anxiety just tries to overtake the contentment that is still there. in those moments i just have to rely on what i know to be true even if i can't feel it at the time. i try to meditate on a regular basis but as many of you are probably aware, that's almost impossible in the throes of high anxiety. one other effective strategy i am revisiting is to challenge my thinking!

i would like to share a downloadable booklet i found last night that is free. great stuff. check it out if you like. its called "How To Conquer Your Frustrations" http://www.rebtnetwo...strations.pdf  

it can be found on a web site i haven't been to in a long time: www.rebtnetowork.org .

rational emotive behavioral therapy has been key to my recovery - and my therapist's specialty. i went through three other therapists before finding the right one for me - he uses REBT exclusively. i hadn't gone to him regularly for two years, but recently returmed for a "refresher" once the heavy anxiety of withdrawal kicked in.

while recognizing that earlier trauma can be a trigger and that there is value in knowing from where mental issues arise - REBT actually focuses on identifying and challenging our "disturbed" thinking ("musts", "shoulds", "cants", etc) that drives us into mental dispair. it does not delve into trauma issues so it is not for everyone. it simply worked for me to the point that i wanted off the C. it is very similar to cognitive behavioral therapy and was establised by Dr. Albert Ellis a decade prior to Aaron Beck offered CBT. it can be confronting at times - but for me it was worth it.

thanks again to all, you all are so validating and reassuring.

oh for crying out loud1 the link doesn't work. here's another way to find it:

1) go to http://rebtnetwork.org/library.html

2) look on the right hand side

3) scroll down in the box "news"

4) look for "New ebook released" How to Conquer Your Frustrations by Dr. William J. Knaus. the link is right there and says in blue hypertext "download the free ebook.

#18 Elmosaysgo

Elmosaysgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNashville Tennessee
  • why_joining:
    Getting off Cymbalta and need help while living this night mare!!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hi have been reading everyone's different experience of getting off C.
here's a little of my story or problem. Been on C 60 mgs for T least 10 years with 1 mg of Kolonopin!! Started weaning off C 1 st of March thay switched my prescription to the generic so 12 bead in capsule 1 bead a week until I was done 2nd week of June!! I have now been off C for about a month!! My anxiety wasn't to bad but it's now also off the charts!! Have felt depressed crying a lot can't sleep joint pain headaches you name it. I am 55 years old so include some menopause in there also. I don't want to go back on anything I want to be free of this stuff. I am not dealing with the 1 mg of Kolonopin at this time. I have to do one thing at a time. I just don't know what to do I don't want to have to go through this kind of medicine again. I am a Christian an have been praying and meditating on the word of God. At times I do feel a little suicidle. How long does it take for C to completely get out of your body. How long for the brain chemicals to go back to normal. Yes do I have stress in my life who doesn't. I try to do searches on C and can't find much about the affects after you finally get off this stuff! Please help I need so e answers! Did I get off of this crap to fast ut I don't wNt to go backwards. Thank You for any answers,,,,

#19 fishinghat

fishinghat

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 13,869 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Welcome ESG. That was a fast drop but there is no sense going back. The key word here is patience. You will just have to ride it out. The Cymbalta (12 hr half life) was out of your system about 3 days after you stopped taking it. Now your system has to learn to control those nerves all over again. That is a slow process. Again patience, You will make it. About 4 to 6 weeks post Cymbalta you will notice a few improvements here and there. After that the improvements will come slowly but surely. Hang in there.

#20 Elmosaysgo

Elmosaysgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi have been reading everyone's different experience of getting off C.
here's a little of my story or problem. Been on C 60 mgs for The last 10 years with 1 mg of Kolonopin!! Started weaning off C the 1st of March. They switched my prescription to the generic so 12 beads per capsule. I took 1 bead a week until I was completely off C the 2nd week of June.I have now been off C for about a month!! My anxiety wasn't to bad but it's now off the charts!! I Have felt depressed crying a lot can't sleep joint pain headaches you name it. I am 55 years old so include some menopause in there also. I don't want to go back on anything I want to be free of this stuff. I don't want think about getting off of the 1 mg of Kolonopin at this time. I have to do one thing at a time. I just don't know what to do I don't want to have to go through this kind of medicine again. I am a Christian an have been praying and meditating on the word of God. At times I do feel a little suicidle. How long does it take for C to completely get out of your body. How long for the brain chemicals to go back to normal. Yes do I have stress in my life but who doesn't. I try to do searches on C and can't find much about the affects after you finally get off this stuff! Please help I need some answers! Did I get off of this crap to fast. I don't want to go backwards. Thank You for any answers,,,,

#21 Elmosaysgo

Elmosaysgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thank You fishinghat I need all the positive I can get right now! I can't give up I have 3 kids that are fantastic a husband that loves me. 3 beautiful little grand kids.. My hope is in Christ even though I can't feel Him right now. I have to believe He loves me and will get me through this.

#22 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Wagtail - how are you feeling today?  Is your anxiety down some?

#23 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Elmosaysgo, you are in the right place if you want to hear it like it is for others, share your fears, your concerns and the bright moments when you can see the other sde! i suspect you've already discovered you are not alone in your experience, although you won't find much in medical literature about what you are going through. 

as fishinghat has shared, it takes time. i went through a rapid taper, did not count beads and have only been free of the C for about a little over two months. as you may have noticed in my top post in this topic that i still have rough days but things are getting better. there are good days and bad days. anxiety is the big one for most of us. there are plenty of other effects of withdrawal, for me its muscle and joint pain. gastro-intestinal distress was a biggie for me during the taper and first month totlaly off C. others talk about the "brain zaps" which sound dreadful, but i've never had one. when i was on C, as well as other ssris and snri's before it, i would get a big "jolt" as i would fall asleep - annoying but not painful - but not at all in the past month. yes, crying is a biggie with me still. i actually like it. i first went on anti-d's in 1996 and it totally flattened my creativity and my emotions. i had barely cried until i started my taper in in april of this year. that's 18 years! i have a lot of catching up to do and i welcome the ability to feel strong emotions again.   

the suicidal thoughts are very scary but are normal - you have a lifeline - your faith in God. even if you can't feel the love of your creator in the moment - its there - you KNOW that! do you have support from friends or family?

please take care and keep in touch if you can. 

#24 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Welcome ESG!

So happy that you have found us!  You have just joined a wonderful group of cyber friends who are supportive, caring and knowledgeable and want to help!  Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, rant if you need to, and please keep posting!

We all care and this is a very safe place!

Again, welcome :)

#25 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Hi ESG, welcome!

At the beginning of this process, it all seems chaotic and overwhelming .... then, in just a short period of time you begin to get a sense of how your own body and brain are reacting, you'll get a sense of some patterns, timing, and a sense of confidence that you can handle things ... one day, one hour, one minute ... at a time ... I never would have gotten off the stuff if not for this forum and all my wonderful friends here ...(and prayer, lots of prayer) ....

I've been off 7 1/2 months now ... and my life is soooo much better than it ever was while I was on the poison ... I still have hard days, off and on trouble with anxiety... but now I feel alive again .... I have my emotions back ... wonderful things are waiting for you ... just keep doing what you're doing ...

And stay here with us... we'll do everything we can to help you!

#26 Elmosaysgo

Elmosaysgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thank you every one for your knowledge of this road from hell. I can only take one minute at a time right now. I was I feeling like I was winning this and now it feels like I am spiraling. My husband wants me to go back on something, I think he's afraid for me. This surge of anxiety is about the worse ever. Is there anything natural to take. I am taking 30 mg of Saffron. It took me awhile to talk about this, I wanted to see how to get off this stuff and it was helpful, maybe I did it to fast but there's no turning back. How does everyone handle the surge of anxiety and the feeling of despair. Yes I am praying continually to God for help. It's hard to see a better day forward. Today I watched the grand kids that helped, but when I came home I went right to bed and felt horrible. I hope you don't get tired of hearing the same thing over again from me, feeling so desperate. Thank You all for your support I know I need it. Prayers to all, and Thank You

#27 equuswoman

equuswoman

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Don't feely badly at all about repeating yourself over and over. That's what we are here on this forum for. To be supportive and help you to understand. Cuz you see we've all been there.

Prayers for you. TheEquusWoman

#28 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

ESG...

If you have been off the Crapalta for a month, you are going through some of the worst stuff now - it will ease slowly within the next month or so and you will have a good day here and there and then several good days in a row.  When you are feeling good, don't overdo or it will really bring you down the next day.  This takes time and I know it is hard to be patient, but just know that it WILL get better!  You must be kind to yourself and allow your body and brain to rest.

A benzo will help you with anxiety - do you have any?  Some have said that Benadryl helps - I don't know since I didn't try that.  I was (and still am) on Alprazolam (for anxiety)  and Hydrocodone (used for break through pain from fibro and arthritis).  They sure helped me to get through that rough period!

There is a forum here on "supplements" if you would like to check it out to see what others have used.  I never used anything but magnesium and am still using that.

I'm sure that someone will come on here and help you out with the supplements if you only want something natural.

Hang in there - you can do this!

Love, hugs and prayers,

Liz

#29 Elmosaysgo

Elmosaysgo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • why_joining:

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

TryinginFL thank You for your encouagement. Yes I am still on 1 mg of Kolonopin and if it's doing anything I can't tell. I keep asking myself should I go on another anti deppresant, what if it the rest of my life I have to do this. I've been on anti depressants since 1990. Because of an abusive husband. I wasn't on anything and didn't need to be until it became situational if you understand that. I just can't understand if I will get better when the brain finally starts to go to its natural state or God heals me . Has anyone else. Been on anti anxiety and anti depressants and were finally able to not take them any more. How many mg of magnesium do take I did hear something about this supplement. Thank You again just really afraid and looking for a glimmer of hope

#30 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

ESG, yes, there is hope ... and there really is life after Cymbalta!

Give yourself permission to focus only on the "now" of where you are, what you're experiencing, in the discontinuation process ... the tomorrows, the "what ifs," "will I's", etc. aren't here yet .. they are in the future, and are thus as yet unformed and non-existent ... allow yourself to focus on taking care of yourself in the here and now ... and with each day that you do that, you'll be taking a step towards a healthier and happier next day...and on into the future ...

I'm 7/12 months off the poison... and I can assure you that life without it is wonderful ... there is healing, happiness and yes, there are still hard days ... but the effort and struggle... and suffering... it took to get rid of the poison was worth it!

God works to heal us from within ... we pray and ask Him for help ... and we do our part ... our effort and desire, united with His love and grace ... make for healing ... be at peace, it is all unfolding for you now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users