• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Sensorimotor Psychotherapy: A Somatic Path to Treat Trauma

Using the mind and body, somatic psychotherapy is a holistic approach to healing
http://www.psycholog...th-treat-trauma

#2 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

FiveNotions, great article to post. Somatic psychotherapy is one of the more fascinating therapy techniques, which I believe should be incorporated all therapy/mental health sessions.  It's a wonderful way of keeping on with your senses and how they affected the body and mind..  Glad you posted this article.... 

#3 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

As I've commented elsewhere here recently, since Wagtail said that this is what she's going to be doing with her therapist ... the only really great therapist I've ever had, way back in the 1980s, used this method with me ... in the era before drugs became the "be all end all" .... it was wonderful for me... truly did "reintegrate" me into one whole, functioning and happy human being ... just a decade later, when I again needed therapy, and tried to find the same therapist, she'd retired ... and, I got stuck with the first of a succession of pill pushers ... no effort/interest in really working with me, to work through issues ... just gave me the "magic pill" and got me out of there as quick as possible ...

I think Wagtail has really been blessed with this therapist she's got ... actually, gone back to... as I understand it, Wagtail used to go to her, then stopped ... maybe because she's moved ... it's now a long drive for her to get there (2 hrs?) ... but well worth it, IMHO!

#4 Carleeta

Carleeta

God-like

• Active Members
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • why_joining:
    Read so many painful stories on here and offering others support while trying to heal myself from cymbalta and other antidepressents.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

FiveNotions, Its unfortunate you were unable to receive this type of therapy the next time you needed it. This therapy process is really what all therapists should incorporate in their treatment plan. The embodiment itself is a gift and one which is hard to learn. It takes much out of a therapist who truly doesn't know and feel empathy of others, let alone actually embody themselves into the shoes of their clients. Wagtail is very lucky to have found the therapist who can do this and truly help her, where she has a sense of safeness once again. Without a doubt, in my own opinion, the drive is well worth it.

#5 Wagtail

Wagtail

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationSydney
  • why_joining:
    Need support

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi all , I am hoping beyond hope that this will be the answer for me . I think I will need to get my chronic anxiety under control before I will be able to concentrate on learning new skills .
Unfortunately my husband has to take a day off work to drive me to my appointments & back until I can feel safe enough to drive again.

I will keep you informed of my progress & thank you for wishing me well .
Xxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users