5 replies to this topic

#1 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:07 AM

I asked Stuart Shipko, M.D. of Mad in America a question. 

In my preamble I noted that symptoms from SSRI/SNRI discontinuation were similar to those from concussion (brain injury). There is a general guideline within the medical community regarding brain injuries, and it goes something like this: symptoms remaining beyond 2 years after a brain injury are likely permanent.

My question was, "Because of this similarity, can this general guideline be applied to those of us discontinuing from SSRI/SNRIs?"

Dr. Shipko replied, "I don't think so. I have seen patients where they continue to improve well beyond 2 years."

That's good news. 

#2 scared60

scared60

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • why_joining:
    Had a scary incident, now thinking of getting off Cymbalta. I came for advice, support and friendship.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

I was wondering if Cymbalta can "brain damage" a person ... good to know steady improvement might be forthcoming

#3 air3333

air3333

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Interesting. Maybe I need 2 years off the drug (without going crazy) to test it out? =)

#4 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

My position on this is totally open-ended: it is counterproductive to assign either a timeline, or quality-of-health expectations on discontinuation. You carry on and work with what you have at the moment. As things improve, smile and keep carrying on. That's all you can do- just keep carrying on.

#5 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Good news on continuing improvement after 2 years! THAT is encouraging!!!!  Scared60, I have adopted the term brain alteration instead of brain damage... makes me feel better anyway! Hugs to all! :)

#6 scared60

scared60

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • why_joining:
    Had a scary incident, now thinking of getting off Cymbalta. I came for advice, support and friendship.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Yes, brain alteration sounds more like it anyway.  It's damaged, it's just altered ... permanently?  naw, hope not.

I'm going to go have my head examined in just moments (chuckle - MRI) we'll see if anything is there!  har har

Don't want something there, but would be nice to see if something there related to headaches.

But, the fibro ... I have to say the Cymbalta helped, it didn't get me back to work, but I did find myself able to do things in 30 min increments before having to put the body down. 

I need to find a good DO or holistic ... but who can afford?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users