Photo

If You Started Cymbalta For Fibro, What Now?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scared60

scared60

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • why_joining:
    Had a scary incident, now thinking of getting off Cymbalta. I came for advice, support and friendship.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

What do you do for the fibro issue.  Sadly (or gladly) the Cymbalta worked pretty well for my fibro and other pain in general (except for headaches which worsened - I believe this is a side effect of Cymbalta yes? not sure now).  But now, on day 6 ... I need something.  I wake up feeling sort of okay but now 3 hrs after awakening I'm dizzy, nauseous, very full of pain and generally yucky.  For all my "yahooing" about the virtues of lemon juice and avc ... those are just a momentary relief.  Will keep using lemon juice in my water tho, good for detox liver.

Saw someone having good results if acupuncture. I'm going to call my ins. provider and check coverage, etc.  Fingers crossed ...

Thanks for listening

#2 thismoment

thismoment

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

scared60

Day 6. I remember those early days when symptoms begin to emerge seemingly out of nowhere- it's spooky and destabilizing! It's the first 6-8 weeks that can be rough. I didn't take supplements except for flaxseed oil. The best relief I found for headache was a professional neck-and-shoulder massage!

It's in these weeks the visits to the doctor can result in a recommendation to either reinstate or begin a new SSRI- the doctor will want to treat your symptoms, which is what doctors do. They cannot possibly find any 'cause' for your symptoms.

You have to kind of tie yourself to a post (metaphorically speaking) for 6 months and push through this, cherishing the little improvements when they come.

Take care.

#3 Clara

Clara

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina
  • why_joining:
    Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms others have and support for myself and help others

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Exactly, TM! The first few weeks were horrendous! Oh the flu like aches and pains! ARG, it hurts to think of them!!! But scared60, it does get better! Yes, cherish the good moments and know they will be coming more often than the bad! Patience and hope... we have to muster up all we can!!!!!

#4 Neesee

Neesee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • why_joining:
    Research/help for weaning off Cymbalta/Duloxetine

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

The Duloxetine worked GREAT on my fibro pain, but made me crazy in the head. Severely depressed, a lot of anxiety and suicidal. It also raised my blood pressure ridiculously high (not a usual side effect). I had no weight gain.I have no other health problems and take no other meds other than recently being put on Clonidine to lower my blood pressure. I don't want to take a pill to cover the side effects of another pill. I started at 30 mg 8 months ago, to 60 mg 6 months ago.

I'm on week 3 of weaning myself off. I had no advice from my physician other than don't stop taking Duloxetine suddenly but wean myself off she had no suggestions as to how much to take. I don't think she knew of all the adverse side effects. (does she not google?) I went from 60 mg to taking 3/4 capsule for 2 weeks. I started on 1/2 capsule (30 mg) this week. This week I can tell a difference. I have had a non-stop headache. I know what everyone is talking about the brain zaps now. I'm having trouble sleeping and I feel like I'm high also. I don't have the nausea though. I guess I'm going too fast, but according to what I have read, I'm going to have bad side effects no matter what.

P.S. I had increased pain in a couple days of tapering down

#5 TryinginFL

TryinginFL

Site Partners

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,274 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • why_joining:
    Now that I have been off this poison for over 6 years, I hope to help others as they join us

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Welcome Neesee!  We're happy you found this forum of wonderful, caring, and supportive people!

I see that you have come off the crap very quickly, putting yourself into cold turkey withdrawal.  I went the cold turkey route from 60 to 0 in one day and was 2 weeks in before I found this forum and read about the bead counting.  If only I had known....

I had that headache for 2 weeks and that wasn't the worst symptom - we are all different and have many horror stories about our withdrawal.  I strongly urge you to use the bead counting method so that you can control your withdrawal and be as comfortable as possible.  We have one member who could only remove 1 bead/day, but she made it!  There should be no time line here - it takes as long as it takes.

I have been off this poison for over 9 1/2 months now, but still have some sleep and anxiety issues.  This has been one hell of a year!  I also have fibro and arthritis as well.

Also  -  the Drs know nothing about this horrible withdrawal - they only know what the drug reps tell them and haven't a clue what it is like to stop taking this crap.  If you try to get info from them, you will get more frustrated!

Others will come on to welcome you soon and share their experiences with you - I wish you the best!

Liz :)

#6 brzghoff

brzghoff

Like a Family Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Locationjust south of sanity

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

The Duloxetine worked GREAT on my fibro pain, but made me crazy in the head. Severely depressed, a lot of anxiety and suicidal. It also raised my blood pressure ridiculously high (not a usual side effect). I had no weight gain.I have no other health problems and take no other meds other than recently being put on Clonidine to lower my blood pressure. I don't want to take a pill to cover the side effects of another pill. I started at 30 mg 8 months ago, to 60 mg 6 months ago.

I'm on week 3 of weaning myself off. I had no advice from my physician other than don't stop taking Duloxetine suddenly but wean myself off she had no suggestions as to how much to take. I don't think she knew of all the adverse side effects. (does she not google?) I went from 60 mg to taking 3/4 capsule for 2 weeks. I started on 1/2 capsule (30 mg) this week. This week I can tell a difference. I have had a non-stop headache. I know what everyone is talking about the brain zaps now. I'm having trouble sleeping and I feel like I'm high also. I don't have the nausea though. I guess I'm going too fast, but according to what I have read, I'm going to have bad side effects no matter what.

P.S. I had increased pain in a couple days of tapering down

i took it for depression, not pain, but the high BP side effect is one reason i quit. it was very difficult to control - spiked a lot. its actually listed as a side effect now. however, there can be all sorts of warnings all over a medication label but for some reason some doctors still claim they didn't know. very very few have any clue about the withdrawal symptoms. some say they don't exist, others say after two weeks they're gone. they just parrot the drug reps shilling the stuff. seems highly "educated" medical doctors think sales people who live off commissions can be objective - or - they don't care. and no , doctors don't google. they don't believe anything they read on the internet, anecdotal or otherwise. they don't believe their patients either. just big pharma. if they admitted that some people have problems weaning off they set themselves up to lawsuits since they never provided their patients with informed consent - so they stick their hand in the sand. 

i realize that for some people the benefits to taking the C outweigh the negatives but everyone to whom its prescribed must be given informed consent - but no one is. 

i did not take the C for pain, yet since coming off i have experienced a tremendous amount of pain. i think i understand a little about what fibromyalgia feels like, although i would never claim i have it as bad as someone who's received that diagnosis. i won't take anything stronger than ibuprofen since i know it is situational due to withdrawal. there seems to be a preponderance of evidence that once you stop the C, or any SSNRI/SSRI, it takes awhile for your body to once again reduce the uptake of the neurotransmitters that the drugs work on, serotonin and norepinephrine. both neurotransmitters, especially the latter, impact the regulation of pain, both physical and mental (depression). they also have other side effects that make them useful for off-label use. Cymbalta is marketed in europe as "yentreve" for use to control SUI. for people who take C for whom that isn't a problem develop another sir effect, inability to empty their bladder all the way - leading to an increased susceptibility to UTIs - a big problem for me. my BP is way down and UTIs have gone away since quitting. i am hoping once i get anxiety more under control i can quit the BP meds al together. i have dropped down to a much weaker BP med at a low dose (losartan at 50 mgs/day). weight gain was a huge problem , but i lost it all - back to a healthy weight and a low BMI. i was active throughout and have eaten a very healthy diet all my adult life, no red meat and poultry and chicken only 1-2 times a week; very high on the veggie protein and fiber - but it wasn't enough to combat the weight. 

yes, whether you go cold turkey or wean slowly you will feel side effects. i do not think that going CT makes it any quicker. the length of time many people feel the side effects tends to be about the same either way, HOWEVER, they are MUCH worse when you go CT.  i was basically a CT off of 15 mgs (at one point i had been on 90 mgs as i was on the stuff for 10 years). after quitting i had disabling anxiety for the most part of 4 months. i had quit my job prior to coming off the C - thank god. i never would have been able to work. some folks work through it but i don't know how. i am much better at 5 months off but still struggle with anxiety at bedtime. during the day cognitive skills keep my head straight. went back to therapy a couple time for a "refresher" worked wonders for me - better than any drug. i still get the physical pain off and on. 

i certainly understand your desire not to take another pill to cover up side effects, which is why i won't take benzos - even though they work well for others. i do take clonidine which is a mild anxiolytic - also prescribed to reduce anxiety. as you may have noticed it can make you drowsy. since i still have a little of the the high BP, it does doubly duty for me - but i need to monitor closely to make sure it doesn't drop too low. i take .1 mg at bedtime most nights, but not all. its primary purpose for a long time was for high BP but with so many other BP meds out there, it ends up being used more as an anxiolytic. 

all the best as you continue on your recovery and keep us posted about side effects of withdrawal, both those that go away and the others that persist, or creep up. 

#7 Blackbird

Blackbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have had slurred speech,  trouble swallowing, and right hand weakness since going off of crapalta.  A neurologist told me that the drug had nothing to do with these things.  Why then, if I missed one day while on this drug, did I have trouble talking?   Do doctors really research these?  I was on klonopin and baclofen too.  He was upset that I was on baclofen!  Bacolfen works on the GABA receptors.  He should have been concerned with the klonopin (as this has been linked with serotonin syndrome too).

#8 FiveNotions

FiveNotions

God-like

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationUS, East Coast
  • why_joining:
    I want my life back!

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

Most docs are asshats ... they don't research the meds, just believe whatever the drug reps tell them.

I'm searching for articles that discuss the parts of the brain that control speech, and explain how serotonin level is involved.

Also, just so you know... baclofen and klonopin interact with each other and can cause some side effects ...

Both klonopin and baclofen work on the GABA receptors, and they both increase brain serotonin ... if taken together, depending on the doses levels and times, they can cause serotonin syndrome ... two symptoms of which are difficulty swallowing and slurred speech.

https://ww1.cpa-apc....rsSerotonin.asp

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Clonazepam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baclofen

Here's an item about their interactions. (Note, it's not a great website, I just did a "quick and dirty" search" ....

http://www.drugs.com...-0-703-357.html
"Using clonazepam together with baclofen may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users